Cambian Group
Happiness score is 45 out of 100

Cambian Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom441 reviews

Stressful, and demand too much

If you’re not a part of the clique then you will be spoken about and left out of conversations. The hours are long and overtime is not made to feel optional and getting stuck on shift is not uncommon. The children's needs are not met and they are rewarded for bad behavior. Staff are lazy and the houses reflect that.

Worst care company! Avoid

I used to really enjoy my job and always felt supported by management but as of late it seems all the good managers have filtered out and the place is left with management that only care about heads on beds and has no interest in actually safeguarding the children and staff. Homes are run on minimal staff working ridiculous hours (300+) to try and keep the houses open buts it's simply just not enough. Children are having to deal with new faces in and out of the homes constantly as there is no consistence with staff, staff retention is horrendous. The staff that have however been there for a while are shipped from home to home.

Insights into Cambian Group

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Trust in colleagues

I am a current employee who has worked for cambian for nearly 10 years. There has been some hard time and management has been an issue however over the past year or so this has change dramatically the pay has increased staff are happy in the role and we are given chance to develop. The shifts are hard sometimes but the good outweighs the bad, the children are put first and staff ahead alot of time for each child

Pros

2 days off in between shifts, good atmosphere in most homes, supportive management

Cons

Long hours, some shifts can be draining

Avoid

If you’re not a part of the clique then you will be spoken about, very little support from managers it’s a joke and I felt anxious about even going into work

Super place.

A great place to learn and develop. Opportunities for self development and supported by a strong senior leader. I am fortunate to have great colleagues who are like minded individuals who want the best outcomes for the children and young people within the region.

Rewarding job

Helping children out is very rewardable especially when they are making progress and you can see the change in them . Work life balance is hard to get right . Must be a resilient person to do this job

Pros

Children, home itself, training, management

Cons

Work life balance

Supportive Team

Make you own judgements about working for Cambian. If you are hard-working, fair and a team player you will do well. It is hard work and the pay could be better but the team of staff and managers on site are great. They are supportive and fair. Everyone is approachable and friendly. The kids are great.

Awful.

Truly awful. Management don't care as long as there's staff on shift, all experienced/good staff have left. Promotion often based on need, not merit, resulting in multiple safeguarding failures and ofsted closing homes.

Child focused and supportive region (H&W)

Having worked in the H&W region for well over 10 years, I have worked under several managers. At this point in my career, I feel 100% valued within my role, not only as a professional but as an individual.Having been an RCW, Team leader and Deputy Manager in the region I am fully aware of the challenges the role can pose, as do the majority of Managers in H&W. This gives H&W a sense of togetherness that drives us to get the best outcomes for the young people, with constant career progression and training opportunities for those that are driven to succeed in this career.No day is ever the same working with young people/children, it's never boring and I have some amazing memories and have become great friends with many staff members during my time as they are the ones you need to rely on during the more challenging times.

Pros

Training, Support, guidance, being valued, achievements recognised, career progression

Cons

Cons have to be considered at a personal level

Changing peoples lives

I’ve been working for the Cambian group for nearly 7 years, issues with staffing are ongoing, staff not fully understanding the job role or expectations (regardless of how many times this is discussed or explained)Some staff go out of their way to put the needs of the young people we support first and are always thinking of new ways to support, encourage and develop the clients and themselves, will step up when needed and go the “extra mile” ( this is generally the mature aged staff) and then you have some staff who will put their own needs first and go out of their way to cause trouble, complain about everything and generally try to bring the staff team down. Some staff who don’t like how something is done will go straight to cqc instead of discussing with the team leaders or management, blaming everyone for their own mistakes and taking no responsibility for their own actions and attitudes( this is generally younger aged staff)

Pros

Changing young peoples lives, developing the staff team, having a great staff team, supported higher management

Cons

Manipulative staff

Exhausting

The expectations are unrealistic. 15 hour shifts (if you’re lucky). You are not allowed to leave until everything is done and childrennsettled. You may be asked to drive a child 400+ miles in the evening after you already been working all day from 8am. Is this even legal? You may be asked to sleepover last minute, after an already 15 hour shift, but get no sleep! Your days off will become ‘days to catch up on sleep’. You will have no life. No time for family. I am desperately looking for another job. This is not what I was led to believe.

Appalling place to work.

Don't work for the cambian. It's where good teachers go to die! Poor management, toxic work culture and poor infrastructure systems. Management is terrible and amend the systems to fit their inadequacies.

Pros

Non

Cons

Everything!

Great people. Questionable management

Decent place to work if you have kids and can benefit from being term time only at the cost of having to work alternate weekends. Great people. Very social job

Don’t work for this company

If you have a good manager your lucky, colleagues are the ones that get you through. The pay is awful in comparison to other companies, £30 sleep rate when other companies offer £60 minimum. The organ grinders DO NOT CARE about staff. Cannot trust management with any personal information before you know it the whole of the region know your business. Can’t wait for the day I can run and never look back. Constantly expected to go above and beyond your daily duties because they want you to. You can be run down with stress from the job and they don’t care, their attitude is well I’ve had to do it so you can. One day in work two off however your that tired when coming off shift your first day off is spent sleeping before you know it your back in there again. The beds are the worst, staff struggle to sleep and they don’t care about that either.

Pros

I don’t have one

Cons

Long hours, No work life balance, If your not in a clique you’ll be talked about by most management and staff

Amazing job!

I have worked in this job for 5 years. I started as a RCW and have been a Team Leader for the last 3 years. I am a mum of two so doing part time hours where I can do a weeks work in 1 day is beneficial for me as I can spend time with my young children. The career progression is really good and supportive and I'm currently doing my management development programme. I love working with the young people, supporting them and building a good relationship with them. No day is the same and although sometimes challenging it is more rewarding and there are more good days than bad. I love to see the young people progress and do better and knowing I've helped be a part of it.

If you get the chance run

Never take on your views , always shrug off issues raised , no consistency at all wage queries often. Long hours , if it doesn’t benefit them as a company they truly don’t care

Dangerous and risky, no amount of safety training can prepare you for some of the outcomes.

I liked most people I worked with. Very unsafe place to work. You are left to deal with very unsafe and seriously dangerous situations on your own sometimes and there is little to no support othet than extra training which is nothing that actually helps.Request of working over time is ridiculous and have to cancel holidays or plans because of constant lack of staff. New staff coming in all the time and never staying which affects the team and the young people you look after. High demands for small teams.Higher-ups and people dealing with salaries are doing a poor job at getting their stuff right. Out of 12 months I think that 6 of them I was underpaid and had to wait another month or two to get it right and by that time I had to make another complaint. Former managers completly igbore when they are contacted for references and other issues.Quitting this company was the best choice I made for myself since working with them.

Great place to work!

I have only just recently started, but my experience so far has been great! I have had opportunity to complete various training, as well as shadow shift in different homes both at weekends and in the week to gain experience of what either shift may look like! There is a lot to learn but the staff ensure you are very well looked after and this takes the pressure of starting somewhere new off a lot! Management and contact has been great and everyone is very friendly and welcoming! Hours are flexible as a bank worker and you can pick up shifts in locations and at times that suit you!

Pros

fun filled days out at weekends, opportunity to get work done whilst children are at school, supportive management, good pay, making a difference to young peoples lives, support coming into the company.

Awful company to work for

Can’t pay correctly, management don’t respond to emails. You aren’t supported at all when situations in the homes are difficult.They don’t care about their staff at all and IF given a supervision, your wishes and feelings aren’t taken on board. Wouldn’t recommend as a place to work.

Pros

Food is provided.

Cons

Long hours, pay is always wrong, management are terrible.

Awful company to work for

Worked for this company for years , only because the manager I had at the time was second to non as was the staff team.. when the manager left the house fell apart ! Higher management let the house down , if you don’t look after the staff how can you expect them to look after the young people. The only thing this company cares about it the money coming in , these young people deserve better. They come into care for a reason how can you meet their needs with the constant turn over of staff!

Never work for this workplace

I’ve worked for Cambian group in 2 years and it was good but it went downhill and It was so very under too much stress, the manager don’t care about what staff says to her or not listen either and gave bad attitude to staff. The management is very poor and not listening & multitasking. The wage is not enough. And also some of staff left this workplace so I’ve decided to leave this work place. My advice is never apply this job!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cambian Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement