Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom56 reviews

hospitalpatientstaffopportunityteamenvironmenthourworking

Diverse and busy workplace

CUH is somewhere you can go to work on one career and end up doing something totally different.CUH is the place to go if you want a career in either administration or medicine, lots of opportunities for most people, there are other jobs such as working in Estates, Media, Communications & I’m sure there are some I don’t even know about.Sometimes it’s hard work mentally but equally can be very rewarding.I have worked at CUH since 1998 and I’m still there which should say something. CUH has a lot of variety job wise, part or full time so a great place to accommodate people returning to work after a break and people who want to retire but still work a little, there is definitely something for most.

Pros

Different career choices/opportunities, flexibility with hours, staff cafe, gym and pool facilities on site

Cons

Parking

Stressful, under resourced and unappreciated.

I was lucky enough to work with a dedicated, hard working team, whose line manager was very supportive and inspirational. However, more senior management did not appreciate the pressure placed upon the department, especially during the pandemic, and were dismissive of the obvious under resourcing. This placed huge pressure upon every member of the team, whose commitment and dedication to patient care was taken for granted and exploited. As the toll upon my work / life balance became more disproportionate, I decided for my own wellbeing and that of my family that I had no choice but to leave. The NHS is a runaway freight train travelling down outdated and predetermined tracks. There needs to be a fundamental review of what we deliver, how, and why. Unfortunately, no Government, or political party, has the desire to do what is necessary, as it may cost them votes or even power.

Pros

Working for a National Institution.

Cons

The boards willingness to exploit the goodwill of its staff, in the name of patient care.

Insights into Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Standard nhs environment

Satisfied with Job, standard level of care and management could be improved, but not too bad either. They are making an effort trying to improve nowadays

Good hospital but work:life balance needs to be taken more seriously

Enjoy working here but there have been occasional shifts where I’ve had to work for more than 24 hours in one go. Even from a health & safety aspect I’m not sure how it’s allowed.

Some good some bad

Mixed experience, liked the concept of working there and had a good boss who encouraged me to take training. Department was understaffed and overworked so typical NHS. Paperwork took forever to get through to extend contracts and get more staff.

I am very pleased to be a part of the frontline team at Cambridge University Hospital. Ranked among the best Hospitals in the world and fully equipped with up to date automation.

Pros

State of the art facilities and very experienced staff

Cons

N/a

Friendly and great teams

Excellent place to work Good location links and opportunity for progression Very good environment positive and encouraging Highly recommend to apply here

Pros

Bank shifts Great teams

Cons

The staff are very helpful and they made me adjust quickly to the environment

There is pressure from understaffing but the managers are supportive. The environment is user friendly. The induction is quite helpful. There are lots of incentives at work place. There is recognition of what you contribute to the Trust which is motivating.

Pros

Free car park Flexible shifts

Cons

Understaffing

Amazing Hospital

I really enjoyed my time at Cambridge as there are opportunities to progress within your role or rotate to different areas if you feel a certain role isn’t for you. The managers were very supportive and knew how to attend to my needs. It can be stressful being on your feet for 12 hours but it is a supportive environment.

Pros

Supportive place/Progress in your role

Great learning hopital

Great place to work but salary was too low for an expensive city like Cambridge .Very supportive staff and management Easy transport access for buses and train station is not too far

Great place to work your way up.

The hospital is a great place to work if you want to gain experience in a healthcare setting, there are lots of different roles and lots of opportunities for growth.

Pros

Job growth oppotunities, courses you can go on

Cons

Creative and collaborative health care institution

Motivated to pursue an MBA in health care administration. Brought me closer to the reality of working in the health care sector. Introduced me to the formal way of recruitment in the NHS. The induction was a drawn out process, very well managed. Follow up, test they keep records, but can only offer a service certificate and kind that they are not directly liasioning me with NIHR research project proposals and PI's. Sad, there is a glass shield between volunteering and getting absorbed into the workforce in NHS.

Amazing Workplace

An amazing environment where to build a professional career. Unfortunately the pay rates within NHS are not satisfactory. It was my first job and I felt very well supported.

Loved working here

I adored working for CUH, all of my colleagues were friendly and helpful and there is a lot of support. The opportunities for progression here are vast and there are lots of opportunities to attend courses and cpd. The range of staff benefits are extensive and of course the standard nhs perks such as holiday and maternity pay are offered too.

Great team, boring role

The group of secretaries I shared an office with were brilliant; they helped me fit in really quickly and were so helpful and welcoming. It's a shame the job itself was rather boring so I only stayed until something more interesting came along. Still miss those ladies though!!

If You Love Pressure and Stress, This Is For You

It is a great place to work, you will have a good job there. It is not for the faint hearted though. You will be pushed to work all you have in you which some people love to do and others are not able to.

Pros

Repuation

Cons

Long hours, Poor pay

my first theatre job

was welcomed as a newly qualified nurse and first time in the theatres. learnt alot of new skills and introduced to theatre environment and various specialities.

A place to work and learn

Working at Cambridge University Hospitals has provided me the platform not only to learn new things in my job but has also allowed me the opportunity to enhance my academic career.

Supportive management and abundance of opportunity

Working at CUH has helped me grow as a person and a professional. Starting as an apprentice 5 years ago, they are now fully funding a university degree to continue my professional development. This investment in staff helps create an environment of loyalty with health professionals who care for the trust, the patients which rely on the services provided and colleagues. Of course the work can be hard but the rewards and benefits that you all help to achieve are worth it.

Professional but at the same time friendly working culture

I would recommend working in CUH because it values diversity and inclusivity.

Excellent place to work

Great hospital friendly and professional staff. Unfortunately due to husbands illness and relocating I reluctantly had to resign Staff were always friendly and team working was excellent Training opportunities were given therefore advancement could be achieved if requied

Pros

Leave entitlement

Cons

Unsocial hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust with

Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust reviews by location

Learn about Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust in popular locations

Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?