Cambridgeshire County Council

Cambridgeshire County Council Employee Reviews

Once again management is not good, got worse since Covid. Here is your laptop, now get on with it. Working in a geographical location to where you live are lies. They change the rules when it suits them, taking on referrals that are never going to become independent, never taking consideration that we travel to some nasty places, not caring if we are safe. Management don’t care just as long as they have there numbers. The council used to have a great reputation to work for because they looked after staff but they don’t no more and it has got worse since Covid which is stupid because they should show more support but they don’t. If it wasn’t for management this would be a much better place to work for
Pros
Good pension, meet lovely and interesting people.
Cons
Can be stressful at times but working with a great bunch of people definitely help manage this. Great opportunities to learn and develop skills. Lots of training and development opportunities Can work from homeSupportive of staff Staff counselling programme if have bad experiences or struggling Get to meet lots of new people from all walks of life.Can be very rewarding but sometimes sad.Can be frustrating
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Stressful
Really supportive, good prospects, room for growth, great training opportunities, treated well, treated respectfully, feel appreciated, my efforts are recognised.
Pros
All round good experience
High expectations, with positive management, standards are high, but with adequate support. The teams are friendly, and it is easy to integrate in to them. Flexibility in working is important, and a willingness to learn is expected. Overall a good employer.
I had to take calls from individuals that were high risk cases of domestic violence and take notes for MARAC meetings. As a temp I was paid well but wasn't considered at all to be a full time member of staff. That was frustrating but the people I was working alongside at the time were friendly and very helpful.
Too many processes and procedures, if you question this, you are a trouble causer, horrendous experience of working for the local government. Would never choose to work in the public sector again.
Working for the council was a very Interesting Experience, which overall game me a lot of experience in people and the overall workplace on top of it was very useful to gain knowledge of QA and was never a dull moment.
Pros
It was interesting
Cons
Traveling Costs
Every day busy but different. Learned on the job the different tasks to be carried out. Business Support management based elsewhere not always contactable for urgent requests. Workplace culture was flexible, as long as you did your work everything ok. The travelling from home to work and back every day. Colleagues made a difference.
Whilst working at March Youth & Community Centre it was recognised that i had good knowledge of Computer software and i was given opportunity to gain further educational qualifications which then led to me being able to be employed as a teacher.
Pros
Appreciative colleagues
Cons
Awful company. I would not recommend working for the Reablement team. The pay is not good for the work that is expected. Managers are not easy to communicate with. Communication is not good.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working for Cambridgeshire County Council. I was able to progress in my working field alongside a great team of people, within a positive working environment.
I feel that Cambridgeshire county council didn't communicate bewtween people. Towards the end I was insulted by management and I felt like my social worker could have done more to try and persuade me to stay.
I am able to work from many locations in the County area and also from home which offers great flexibility as a working parent. During my working day I typically undertake design work, correspondence, financially reporting and mentoring of other team members. I supervise civil engineering works on site which can sometimes involve journeys of over an hour to reach site location in the County. I work in a friendly team who are always ready to help. I get satisfaction from seeing my schemes built on site and also from solving Highway safety problems.
Cons
Flexible working means there is not excuse not to answer emails on non working days or out of hours
I would recommend this company. My team and manager have been incredible. I have received the skills and assistance to continue with my career in children and youth Services
- High turnover rate of people - Opportunity to change of tema and learn.
Pros
weekend free
Cons
no overtime
I would recommend to work in this environment for 1 year as it did develop excellent skills for working with the public and within a strict system of procedures. Having talked to and befriended a few staff members, it seems the burnout is around the 2 year mark. Having left 3 years ago, there is only 2 members of staff from a team of 60 that I know still work there when I started.
Plenty of work, mostly relaxed environment. Good benefits. Nature of the role means you work alone often, other days office is full. Good learning/training. Work load creeps up, but help is there if u ask. Staff nice, but do take advantage when you first start. You have to be assertive and strong.
Poor communication with staff, hot desk policies make it difficult to find somewhere to work, workloads high and not reflective of the pay offered, very slow to offer permanent roles through official channels
I loved volunteering at the library as it made me feel like an active part of the community and I felt like I was helping people. I hope that I get the opportunity to volunteer again!
I worked for this company and the skills and knowledge you gain is amazing, Management are so helpful and make it a good work environment, I enjoyed going to work every day and helping people, My place work was the reablement support team at March, Great Company.
Pros
Good Support
Cons
Long Hours
Flexible hours made it good, could come to work early some days and leave early, worked well with the family. I learnt lots of skills, this was my first job from school so it gave me lots of skills to set me up later in life. The areas i worked in were managed well. The hardest part of the job was the customers, sometimes they could become quite aggressive. The most enjoyable part of the job was the great group of people i worked alongside on a daily basis.