Cambridgeshire County Council

• Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Support from manager

Very complex and a small team

I though teams would be much bigger working for the council in the whole county. Staff are very friendly and helpful but as the work is very complex and varied, you must be relaxed and focused to cope with the workload. It would help to have experience in the background as again the area is complex and the systems aren’t user friendly.

Very friendly and helpful throughout ,

Fabulous place to work. Would recommend c c c to anyone, managers and everyone always ready to talk and hear any issues good or bad.If you need any time off work for any issues the management etc always accommodate you.Great working facilities and office equipment

Pros

Cheap lunches

Cons

No cons

Great leadership from above and flexible working

My role involved working from home for a contracted period of time, my managers were great and the team were helpful. They pay well at Cambridgeshire County Council.

Productive and rewarding job. Staff friendly and supportive.

Although I dont work for the council anymore they are a very good company to work for. Staff supportive and friendly and went out together as a team or individually.

Fast paced, non stop

Child focused . Good communication . Lots of training. Good team work. Supportive staff and management. Regular meetings and updates. Career progression is good lots of opportunities.

Pros

Supportive environment

In theory could be amazing. Sadly isn't.

Social care has an excellent strength based model and has some fantastic services. Pay is fine (expected for role) and the flexible working policy is in theory a great thing. Sadly many teams are understaffed and over worked. Meaning you can't do the good work you've been trained to provide. No appreciation for qualified staff, CCC clearly just think everyone is expendable. No career progression opportunities. They would rather put roles out to advert to those outside the organisation than help people progress.They want more and more from people but offer nothing towards your own professional development. Management dont want to listen to staff. It's a dictatorship. don't dare question / challenge anything. No thanks at all for all the changes / difficulties of working during the covid crisis. Management keen to suggest people are not working hard enough even when staff are off with stress etc. High staff turnover. Lots of staff sickness. Keen to say they support staff wellbeing but only if it fits with you accessing a website or calling their helpline. Not willing to use an individual approach. On paper appears to be a good organisation with lots of good "policies" but reality is so different. Management often don't know what they are doing and advise incorrectly adding to stress.

Pros

Flexible working policy, leave purchase policy.

Cons

Working over hours without pay, management not professional, don't listen to staff feedback, no parking

Great for remote working

Excellent pay for jobs you don’t need a degree for, and they provide all the equipment you need to work comfortably from home including a desk, computer monitor, laptop etc. Depending on your team you can pick your working pattern and the council encourages working from home (even before the pandemic) and the use of flexitime - taking extra days off if you work overtime. Annual leave is encouraged and it is often approved the same day. Some teams are quite small and at times it can feel like the council is made up of services that aren’t aware of each other, which can cause frustration from you and the customers using your service. It really depends which service you are working for. Good work-life balance, they encourage you to volunteer for services like the NHS and can give extra days off work to do this. Full sick pay. I feel looked after working for the council.

Pros

Good pay, choose working hours, remote working, office equipment provided

Cons

services not working together well, hard to get promoted if your team is small

Great team and manager. Opportunity for professional development

I enjoyed working for CCC, my manager and team were great.I was given opportunity for professional development and encouraged to contribute to developing services using my existing knowledge and skills.The workload was manageable and I felt supported.There were a number of restructures in the directorate I worked and that caused a level of job insecurity.Overall my time with CCC was positive and I would work for them again.

Pros

Collaborative working

Cons

Too many restructures

Great people, great organisation

The public health team are amazing to work for. Supportive, motivated and well organised teams. Management support is fantastic and sense of achievement is outstanding. All in all, a great place to work.

Reablement support worker

Once again management is not good, got worse since Covid. Here is your laptop, now get on with it. Working in a geographical location to where you live are lies. They change the rules when it suits them, taking on referrals that are never going to become independent, never taking consideration that we travel to some nasty places, not caring if we are safe. Management don’t care just as long as they have there numbers. The council used to have a great reputation to work for because they looked after staff but they don’t no more and it has got worse since Covid which is stupid because they should show more support but they don’t. If it wasn’t for management this would be a much better place to work for

Pros

Good pension, meet lovely and interesting people.

Cons

Can be stressful at times but working with a great bunch of people definitely help manage this. Great opportunities to learn and develop skills. Lots of training and development opportunities Can work from homeSupportive of staff Staff counselling programme if have bad experiences or struggling Get to meet lots of new people from all walks of life.Can be very rewarding but sometimes sad.Can be frustrating

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Stressful

Best decision i made.

Really supportive, good prospects, room for growth, great training opportunities, treated well, treated respectfully, feel appreciated, my efforts are recognised.

Pros

All round good experience

Professional

High expectations, with positive management, standards are high, but with adequate support. The teams are friendly, and it is easy to integrate in to them. Flexibility in working is important, and a willingness to learn is expected. Overall a good employer.

I was a temp a few years ago

I had to take calls from individuals that were high risk cases of domestic violence and take notes for MARAC meetings. As a temp I was paid well but wasn't considered at all to be a full time member of staff. That was frustrating but the people I was working alongside at the time were friendly and very helpful.

Corrupt council

Too many processes and procedures, if you question this, you are a trouble causer, horrendous experience of working for the local government. Would never choose to work in the public sector again.

A Interesting Experince

Working for the council was a very Interesting Experience, which overall game me a lot of experience in people and the overall workplace on top of it was very useful to gain knowledge of QA and was never a dull moment.

Pros

It was interesting

Cons

Traveling Costs

Busy, sometimes stressful, good work colleagues

Every day busy but different. Learned on the job the different tasks to be carried out. Business Support management based elsewhere not always contactable for urgent requests. Workplace culture was flexible, as long as you did your work everything ok. The travelling from home to work and back every day. Colleagues made a difference.

Whilst working at March Youth & Community Centre it was recognised that i had good knowledge of Computer software and i was given opportunity to gain further educational qualifications which then led to me being able to be employed as a teacher.

Pros

Appreciative colleagues

Not good

Awful company. I would not recommend working for the Reablement team. The pay is not good for the work that is expected. Managers are not easy to communicate with. Communication is not good.

Enjoyable working environment

I thoroughly enjoyed my time working for Cambridgeshire County Council. I was able to progress in my working field alongside a great team of people, within a positive working environment.

Communication

I feel that Cambridgeshire county council didn't communicate bewtween people. Towards the end I was insulted by management and I felt like my social worker could have done more to try and persuade me to stay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cambridgeshire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement