Canal & River Trust

Canal & River Trust Employee Reviews

Opportunities to learn new skills, challenging sometimes, work on your own pace and autonomously. Managers are very supportive and knowledgeable. Very traditional work environment and sometime competetive
C, a, r, t is a brilliant place to work if your prepared to be outside in all weather's working with some good people colleagues boaters and people on the tow paths and local community. You'll get chance to learn so much about the waterways environment wildlife plants and people, and have one of the best offices going, after all how many people have deers walking through their office at 8 in the morning. Don't be mistaken though it's a physical job and believe me if your not fit you will be after a month or two. I loved it, my biggest regret was not going back for a second season.Good luck hope this was helpful.
Pros
Best office in the world
Cons
Physically demanding weekend work
Don't upset the management, as your days are numbered. It seems to be run by yes people and bullying techniques, health and safety issues is when it suits the management. It's all a box ticking exercise job!
Pros
Sickpay
Cons
Bullying, you travel more than you work
I was working on a 6 month contract via a job agency we worked fitting lock gates It was very interesting work and job satisfaction of doing a team job I loved my work and would of liked to stay longer .
Pros
Working in the fresh air
Cons
Voluntary Canal and River Trust trainee. Not been on the walks with the trust since Boris Johnson had told the organisation to not go out on the canal and River Trust walks. But, when managed to go on the online training when I was able to then the the staff member are great to work with. Shame, boris as not gave them permission to go for social distance walks instead as I miss them indeed.
Pros
Free tea and coffee, up to date training and even has post card from The Cheif Executive.
Cons
can always have a laugh throughout the day of work/ volunteering, no two days are the same one day you could be litter picking/ cleaning canal side then other day could be interacting with the public at open days or other events
Pros
Travel to and from volunteering paid for
Cons
There were a lot of great things about this job, working on the water, the maintenance of historic structures, working with knowledgeable and friendly people. Sadly, this was cancelled out by a company in a state of flux, with a vision and plan that did not respect it's workers. A sad waste of people and talent.
Pros
Working on boats, beautiful work setting, excellent colleagues.
Cons
No clear plan at times, insufficient training, sometimes a feeling of being overwhelmed.
I was on a six month contract through an agency, predominantly as a joiner, but was involved with brick and masonry work too, heritage projects. I enjoyed my time there, although it was through a very cold and wet winter, outdoors.
Pros
company vehicle, and paid for travel time around the East Midlands
Cons
Long hours, cold and wet conditions, very physically demanding at times.
Supportive colleagues, Relaxed working conditions, plenty of variety of duties, no two days were the same, approachable management, overall a great place to work.
working with boaters and fisher men and woman, as well as warkers and there dogs,keeping the water flowing at all times, keeping all users safe at all times.
Unable to progress. Poor management culture. Good team to work with, albeit poorly managed. Good to work with the public, so good job satisfaction.
Always varied work - a day is never the same. Working at various locations on the canal and always meeting new challenges on a daily basis. Challenging and outdoor
Poor leadership, poor management. Lack of basic understanding of needs of the staff. There is lots of people that are employed with lack of knowledge of waterways and charity.
Pros
Good working hours, around 35.
Cons
Wasted money, wasted investments.
Not all is as it seems. Lower Teir managment can be very good, it is definitley and interesting company to work for as there are so many different aspects to what each individual directorate does and how they operate, however there is undeniably a strange culture and the higher managment and its overall system raises some curious questions. Does not operate in the way you would expect an organisation of this kind, for all their banners and bells.
Employing upper management to spout the propaganda of 'Making life better by Water'. It's a open sewer with diesel fumes from aged boats, a towpath full of dog mess & speeding cyclist all of which contribute nought.6800+ Days lost in 2018 to stress, depression! New mid managers from non related background whom know nothing of what is actually required to keep a canal operating. Stay away
If you love being outdoors and alongside water and getting to meet new people each day then this is the job for you. A different location every day, that offers an abundance of wildlife to enjoy.
People on the floor seemed pleasant, polite and fun, as did others in the building. Experiencing of their management was something else. They are of the selfish and ignorant kind; those who hide behind box ticking exercises, but have no awareness or capability of dealing with the reality of an issue - particularly sensitive issues - and instead act on cowardly impulses. The CRT fail on other areas too so seeing fire-fighting/hearing of certain issues wasn't surprising.
Nice to work with volunteers showing them how to give back to the landscape of the canals. Working in various weathers to restore the historic canals.
Not what it appears to be at all. In winter this is the worst possible job you can imagine. Freezing standing in the same position trying to stop strangers is hardly my idea of fun.
Pros
Outdoors
Cons
Boring
there is so much I can say as to why I enjoyed my time at the company but I think the best reason that I would tell most people as to why I loved my time there so much was that...
Worked for this company only to be told I was being given my notice. I questioned their poor workmanship and slow working practice that was my crime. The supervisor had little practical experience, Constantly changed his mind and always did jobs back go front. He had a small clique around him who he gave the better jobs to. Embarrassing behaviour. These people wouldn't survive I. A real construction environment He had a small clique
Pros
Working in nice areas.
Cons
Bullying, backstabbing supervisors with no real constructionskills or experience.