Cancer Research UK

Cancer Research UK Employee Reviews

Found 1,443 reviews matching the search
Good place to gain customer service experience and other skills if you want to start looking for work in the retail sector. People are nice and there is always something to do. Some days you could be working on the till, sorting out goods or working at the back steam cleaning clothes or pricing items to be taken onto shop floor
Pros
People and learning new skills
Cons
No cons
Good for work experience and younger employees who need a part time activity. Very good for learning skills and having socialable time. Appealing for anyone looking to develop/gain skills that can transfer to any other industry.
Pros
No set hours, casual clothing with no real dress code.
Cons
No set hours so mixed times
Loved working in shop with volunteers and shop manager, an excellent group of friendly hard working people. Upper management was appalling, when issues like a serious safety concern over lone working, or a change of opening hours meaning 2 hours of unpaid time each day. We were told to stop being negative and as a charity free overtime was only fair for us to give. Was a toxic and unpleasant experience dealing with them.Lunch breaks were almost impossible to have as could not leave volunteers alone in shop, without a manager or assistant manager on site and in many cases would have been irresponsible to leave a volunteer alone in busy shop.No support from area managers or above, would never work for them again.
Pros
Working with great shop team
Cons
Hours, Pay and awful area managers
Everyone was really lovely, I really enjoyed my time there and probably never would have left if it wasn’t for moving area. Great place to gain work experience and great for a first time job even though it’s voluntary and I wasn’t paid there where opportunities for paid positions
Pros
Flexible, great for work experience along side education
Cons
Shops have a remit to make the absolute most profit which is noble but did have a human cost on the staff.Sometimes I felt very unsupported running the shop in a busy city centre where volunteers and item donors found it difficult to travel in. The nature of the job also meant doing a lot of extra time which often worked out with my salary at being below minimum wage. I did love each and every one of my volunteers and they were such a joy to my job.
Pros
Great cause
Cons
Long hours, little renumeration
I've been working here a long time and I can't fault it. It's a lively workplace and we do care a lot about eachother and our customers. It's a fun place to work and we are happy help out eachother with tasks. It's a diverse work environment and everybody is welcome.
Pros
Team work, lovely staff, flexible hours, occasional tea and biscuit, staff dos
Cons
Non
Got treated like a child and they expected far too much never got any praise for using your own initiative and if anything went wrong it was never management's fault always staff fault and the area manager was a nightmare
Pros
Cons
Bad management
You're highly looked after by the Cancer Research UK. The company receives some high quality donations from the public and they highly recommend us to many people outside the area. It's a very rewarding experience to have.
Pros
Discounts on goods.
I thoroughly enjoyed working with cruk it came a a very big shock when thay decided to shut the shop that I worked in for such a long time. Unfortunately there was no other jobs with them in my area
To put it simply, I love volunteering for Cancer Research.I started volunteering just after my 18th birthday and been a regular volunteer for several months now.Management are wonderful, everyone is working towards a common goal and its a great way to gain some retail experience. I've been trained on how to work a till, converse with customers and given insight on how sales targets work. The management I have are truly kind and patient people and a massive credit to the charity.They are very flexible with volunteering hours so I usually cover one afternoon a week on the till but I also volunteer extra hours when I have free time. The whole environment is very relaxed and friendly, management have great communication with volunteers and accommodate any preferences or needs. I like to work on the till but overall I don't mind, some volunteers only like to work in the stock room so whatever is comfortable for you.I've encountered some difficult customers but management was quick to step in and diffuse the situation. People have mainly been upset with the COVID-19 procedures and our customer limit inside the store which creates wait times to enter on occasion.The shop I work at also supplies free tea/coffee and some biscuits for your break, I like to bring my own latte sachets and have a wee chat with other volunteers when it is quiet. I've also been provided with a free uniform but wearing uniform is not mandatory.I can't give any insight on paid employment with Cancer Research but I highly recommend volunteering especially if you are interested in a retail job in the - more...
Pros
Relaxed environment, good way to gain experience, good working culture, flexible hours, free tea/coffee and biscuits
Cons
Customers can occasionally be difficult
They were amazing to work for. The training was incredible and thorough. It is the first place ive worked that your ideas and input are valuable. The trust they put in me was so nice that it made me want to do my best.Every part of my job made it feel like i mattered and the job i did mattered.
Pros
Meeting all kinds of people, Having trust, learning new skills, Feeling i was important, very creative environment
Cons
meet old/new customers doing something that you enjoyhelping a very good charityhardest part maybe dealing with awkward customersManagement are always helpful and friendly.
Pros
meet new people
Cons
not paid job
As the title states, it's a great place to volunteer. The hours are flexible and suited to your availability. The management and staff are welcoming and always willing to help if you need it.
Some nice volunteers, flexible hours and days that suit you best. Sometimes workload does get heavy, but normally quite an easygoing and relaxed atmosphere
CRUK as a charity are fantastic, they put the customer at the heart of everything and do their best to raise as much as possible to fund life saving research, however the culture left a lot to be desired.
Pros
Brilliant charity, staff and volunteer discount on certain goods
Cons
Poor culture
sort items for shop floor, staff are nice, meeting people and be helpful for the customer and dressing window/matching garments with accessories .if you are not sure just ask management or staff.
Pros
Getting on with the staff.
Cons
Time goes quick
- worked as a volunteer at a cancer research charity shop over two summers gaining valuable experience of the company and its culture as well as helping
I loved my shop and my volunteers but was warned prior to and immediately after starting that in the words of the volunteers ‘they burn the managers out and just replace’. I was lucky enough to have a great area manager, but anyone above that level really don’t care about their staff (despite saying the words) The amount of write offs we are asked to do is soul destroying (we’re talking 1000’s of pounds in stock binned, not donations, bought in new goods) to me that just goes against people donating to turn their cash/goods into fundraising.The ever increasing work load and expectations are ridiculous and I’ve work for both charity and general retail. They work on a ‘one size fits all’ attitude to the shops and unfortunately it doesn’t as each shop has very different needs to to size, volunteer levels etc.I don’t agree in ‘productivity targets’ as we rely on volunteers and think people giving their time for free shouldn’t be measured. Fundraising targets are stressful and again in other charity’s I’ve worked for, the shop itself is the fundraiser and you’re not expected to reach a separate target.The years targets are disproportionately worked out from the previous years takings, which considering there is a bonus for achieving monthly targets, makes this impossible ever to achieve (one of my targets was 88% higher on LY)The fact the assistant managers aren’t allowed to access the emails are so archaic in thinking it puts more strain on the manager. You have annual leave and miss important emails, you’re still accountable for them not being auctioned despite you not - more...
Pros
Volunteers
Cons
Overwhelming unrealistic expectations
Pleasant staff, very helpful in the charity shop. Good training and support from management.There are targets for the shop but no pressure is applied to the staff to achieve these targets only encouragment.Its great to help customers with their purchases. People often say it is the best charity shop in Bexleyheath and really enjoy comming in to see all the new products.
Pros
Nice to help a really important charity
Cons
I loved this firm, lovely people, clean and tidy. Variety of work and free drink and piece of home made cake. You even get a card and pressie on your birthday and at xmas if shop is not busy you go home earlier The company treat you fairly regarding hours and commitments.
Pros
Free drink and cake.
Cons
Only 1 toilet.
Enjoyed my time at cancer research UK great place to work for with great management shop manager's all was great till redundancy but never mind my experience with cancer research UK was great
Pros
Great place to work for
  1. Employee reviews