Capability Scotland

Capability Scotland Employee Reviews

United Kingdom61 reviews

shiftcustomersupporttrainingfeelteamservicelife

Great place to work for people with the right values

Great customers and staff team. Team working and people want to make a difference. SW salary could be better Hard working teams who step up when they need tooGood training programme Great opportunities for development

Perfect

I love the job I have. No day is the same, some days can be stressful and as with all care jobs some days can be sad. The feeling that I get knowing I’m making a difference every day is all the job satisfaction I need.

Insights into Capability Scotland

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energising work tasks

Bad management

Nobody works together in different departments. Management very cliquey. Great residents. High turnover of staff in all departments. Very backstabbing place.

Management let down the company

The actual job in itself is fantastic but management lets this company down massively. I was often made to feel not good enough by management by their patronising tone and when having a bad time with my mental health was punished instead of being supported. Shift patterns leave you with little or no personal time and it is impossible to get annual leave. Never a full team of staff so doing the work of 3 people. Avoid.

Very low pay for what you are expected to do

Very stressful place to work and little thanks for it ,customers are lovely but Working on the floor can be very childish at times. and the wages are unacceptable especially when you have big bosses with massive wage packets. The amount of work you have to do on a daily basis is ridiculous for the pay. The company should be embarrassed.

Pros

Lovely customers

Cons

Unacceptable wages

Debatable

Customers lovelyStaff some debatable Management all about themselvesProblem solving from management all about what others think of companyLittle support from management If u have a voice don't use it or ull be "managed out of the door"

Pros

Working with customers

Cons

Working with unsupported management

Felt valued and enjoy my job

Training was good and up to date. Risk assessments were complete, felt safe at work. Customers enjoy attending. Money for activities or events customers want.Fun atmosphere and hours suited

Management are a joke

It depends which service you work in but where I am managers could do with learning people skills and being less selfish. Call on days off to cover shifts or the best one call on your annual leave to ask you to cover your own shift. They rota you into shifts on days off and annual leave,put you in shifts saying your desperately needed only for you to turn up an discover they're over staffed and no one even knew you were coming.Refusing overtime feels like trying to talk your way through a Spanish inquisition (why can't you come in, can't you change plans, I'll give you this day off instead) honestly if it wasn't for some if the customers and the fact I don't have the opportunity of another job I wouldn't be working here.Management expect staff to be available at all times but take random days off because they're on-call the next so might be called out

Pros

Some customers are nice. Work colleagues are nice

Cons

Management sucks, hard to decline overtime, no work life balance.

Excellent management and training

Management communicate well with qll staff, enhanced by monthly staff meetings where everyone was welcome to talk openly. Training was second to none, always comprehensive and ensured staff not only knew what to do but were also able to understand why we were doing what we did.

Service users I was working with were good - found it very rewarding and a pleasure to be a part of their team.

I was a nightshift worker which I stated in my availability and continued to be put on dayshift when I was unable to cover these shifts due to childcare. If I was unable to cover them which I was more than likely unable to they wouldnt alter my shifts to suit my availability so some weeks I wasn’t reaching full time hours.

Pros

Cons

Advise they can give you full time nights then don’t, Not willing to change rota when they had made errors

Ups and downs

It all depends on what part of capability you work in. If you want support from upper management, don't bother. However, if you're not fussed for good employee treatment, then apply for the customers. They are amazing and make the job worthwhile. If you feel under appreciated by your manager then the customers will certainly let you know that you're needed and valued.

Pros

Great training programme, svq funded, the pay is rising, the customer's

Cons

No support from certain service managers and above, hard to have a personal life when you're being contacted for shifts on annual leave and days off

Nice people doing great work. Working with the customers is the best part of the job. Shifts can be difficult but managers do their best to make things work.

Pros

Working with the customers

Helpful,caring company.

Always at the end of the phone if you have a problem, always help me or the client if there is any problems cant fault the Dumfries branch at all .I have an excellent working experience with them.

Brilliant place to work!

Amazing customers to work withManagement are always fair Full training for job is givenThe job is rewardingYou get to go out on day trips most weeksif you’re 1-1 you can go for bar lunches or tea, bowling cinema shopping day trips out of the unitRate of pay could be more

Pros

Good holiday entitlement working with excellent customers

Cons

Rate of pay could be more

Fantastic place to work if you are dedicated to supporting the customers

The last few months have been very hard because of staffing being low but the staff who do work here are dedicated, supportive and fun. The customers are great and benefit from happy staff supporting them. The management team are very supportive, there are a lot of team leaders who have worked on the floor and know how hard our job is so are easy to approach when advice is needed. I have benefitted from employee support to deal with health issues which I am so grateful for. It’s hard work and not every day is easy but the customers being happy is what matters and I feel like I make a difference every day

Pros

Supportive teams, approachable management, good holiday entitlement

Cons

Every day is busy, not enough nightshift staff

Amazing customers but management are toxic

Staff are overworked with little to no recognition, management are very close to each other and use this to better themselves to the detriment of their teams. Not much of a focus on helping customers achieve independence. There is a massive problem with employees suffering mental health issues which management seem to ignore as it isn’t convenient for them.

Pros

Great customers, fulfilling work

Cons

Long hours, little pay, lack of support, mental health is stigmatised

Fantastic group of people

excellent place to work,the customers are a fantastic group of people.Training within Upperspringland is outstanding.Management are fair.Pay could be better.Holiday entiltlement is good.

Worst company to work for

The management don’t care about you and offer you the world and give back nothing. You have no room to progress. The company only care about money and not the customer. Avoid at all cost . If your experienced support worker you will deskill yourself. The only time team leaders talk to you is for shifts , you never get supervisions and when you do anything you bring up nothing gets done. The service I worked in the customers would go 4 days with no food in the fridge and they would take petrol money off the customer even though they haven’t used them . The manager forgets about checking MOTs on cars and would let staff drive them . I could go on but you hopefully get the point . Other things is they will bring in new customers that have challenging behaviour and the staff don’t get trained to deal with it. The one thing that really gets staff is getting the customer out for the day that doesn’t happen as they are always short staffed. As I say not a company to work for.

Pros

Holidays are good

Cons

No training or development. Short staffed

Company has great values

I enjoy working for Capability Scotland. They value people who have disabilities and strive to give everyone opportunities to achieve their desired outcomes. They include everyone and value staff and customers. There is a culture of respect and I feel valued for the work I do.

Pros

Good values, good training opportunities and company reflective.

Good employer

I work within the HR department for Capability Scotland and enjoy my role. I think Capability Scotland is a good employer that is striving to improve conditions for all members of staff within strict local authority budgets. The training available is excellent and Capability Scotland often promotes from within. It is satisfying doing my role for an organisation like Capability Scotland that supports disabled people, I feel I can indirectly help people who need support within Scotland.

Pros

Pension Scheme, Supportive Culture, Annual leave entitlement, Supportive Manager, Kind Colleagues

Cons

While SVQ for Care staff is often paid, there are less paid options for corporate employees

Rewarding work with job satisfaction.

I really like working here. The staff are friendly and caring to each other as well as the children, with all staff working to the common goals of GIRFEC - helping the children feel nurtured, respected as individuals and promoting independence. I would recommend Stanmore House School as a great place to work.

Pros

Caring staff and colleagues, working with and helping children, understanding leads throughout staff groups, rigourous cleaning following COVID19good culture and atmosphere.

Cons

The buildings are dated with associated problems from time to time, Pay is not as good as the public sectors unless you are teaching staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Capability Scotland. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Capability Scotland with

Learn about Capability Scotland in popular locations

• Capability Scotland
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?