Capita

United Kingdom2,858 reviews

Found 2,858 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,804 reviews

My Experience!

Featured review

Capita selected this as a representative review
My journey with capita started as a face to face assessor, coming from a stressful clinical role I wanted something more manageable in terms of work life balance, and the added bonus of weekends off! Like every job, it takes a little while to get used to, and of course it can be stressful, but for me I felt the training and support we received helped in terms of settling in and gaining confidence, as it was a massive job change for me! Now 3+ years down the line, I am working within a different role which I really enjoy, what I will say is there are lots of job opportunities within Capita, so its a great starting point if you have set goals in mind! I enjoy working within a team, the balance of working from home and the flexibility too! The Managers have been really supportive and understanding, more so with the challenges faced working from home full time due to COVID - if you need a change, I would recommend - it worked for me! :)

Pros

weekends and bank holidays off!!

Cons

for me, a complete change in terms of previous job - so it does take a little while to get used to!

stressful and not trained properly

Lack of training and support from managers, you’re expected to know everything with such little training. Expected to stay on phone calls after your shift has finished. Systems always failing but you would get the blame. I wouldn’t recommend working here it’s very stressful and when you ask for help you don’t get it.

Insights into Capita

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energising work tasks

Would not recommend

Management are terrible only care for themselves or their friends at work. No work life balance. Late shifts or weekends every 2 weeks. Teams changed every few months for ‘rotation’. Reprimanded for littlest things. Majority of managers just yesmen hoping they get a promotion. Always being watched or scrutinised. Very little recognition it reward. Get told sick/mental health is taken seriously but then you are presented with ultimatums. A lot of experienced, tenured agents, coaches and managers leaving. A lot more work given than advertised in the job role and the wage does not reflect or is anywhere near what you should be earning for the work you have to do. Would not recommend

Pros

Meet some good people

Cons

Everything else

Management were supportive and helpline was already there whenever you needed help, had great colleagues which was a plus, also the shift pattern were good and overall the experience was great.

Pros

Management, work colleagues, work patterns shift

Cons

One of those jobs that make you ask "what am I doing with my life"

Okey for a bit if you just need a bit of money or to see you through to the next actual job. Awful management, astoundingly stupid customers, drab surroundings, but plenty of on-site parking.

Stressful

not worth it for the amount of abuse you get on phones. only 2 days off to recover. half a hour for lunch which is ridiculous because what can you eat in half a hour

Not the worst place but needs to wake up.

Worked there for a number of years and it was generally ok. They take on to many things and pile work onto existing teams with very little support or guidance. Quite often the contract will land and maybe a month later you start getting the tools required to assist them. Very focused on pleasing the customer to the detriment of the staff (especially their mental health), calls for help and support from the staff get lost in the mix. Capita is a good place to get a foothold in the IT world but progression is rare and you have to know the right people to get the opportunity's.

No work life balance

If you have a young family I would not suggest this job. You feel as though the training is good but once you go live you are left to it. Not much support and expected to know it all. I would say the training should have gone on for longer.

Monotonous work, poor benefits and little progression

Working as an assistant technician was initially what you would assume from this scope of office work - a lot of excel work, working with client systems. Had this type of work developed with time at the company, that would be acceptable. However Capita's internal progression system limits what you do and how you can move up within the company.In order to get a promotion you must either have a set number of years at the company - at minimum 2 before any progression even with good annual reviews!! - or pass exams which have very little relevance to what you do on a day to day basis. Some time is given to study for these however with how much work you usually have within the job itself, this is an incredibly difficult thing to manage.Management can range from adequate to downright awful. Few incentives to go above and beyond and never any reward for good work. Upper management is also completely oblivious to the complaints of those who work under them.During busy months you are expected to work overtime, sometimes upwards of 10 additional hours per week. This is stored as a "Flexi" balance and you will only be paid for this overtime once you have accrued at least 50 additional hours worked. Deadlines are often unrealistic however depends on which client you work with - some being worse than others.In all, this job is soul-draining. High turnover of staff thanks to zero incentive to stay and staff being treated as completely expendable. You'll thank yourself for not even applying to this dead-end prison of a "career".

Do not work for Capita

Capita has a poor reputation and it is not hard to see why. The job itself is just answering phones and helping customers however, management are on your back for EVERYTHING. If you go over on your break by 5 seconds they would expect this to be taken off your next break, certain managers micromanage you and there is a culture of favouritism within the management team - there is no progression or opportunities unless you are one of their favourites. It’s hard to help customers fully as all management are focused on are short call times and low after call work time. Weekend work is unnecessary as the phone lines are very quiet and you do not have a good work life balance as you will most likely be put on to work at least one weekend day every week, with the likelihood you will not even receive 2 days off together. The money is okay but you get no benefits, only benefits you have are ones you pay for yourself through the annual benefits scheme and even these are mostly rubbish. Holidays are not ever booked and it’s impossible to get time off unless you book it literally on January 1st, team members have gone 9 months with no holidays taken because of the failure of management. Do not work here if you want to retain your sanity and mental health!

Pros

Cons

Weekend working, culture of micromanagement and favouritism, treated as a number not an individual, they couldn’t care less about their staff

Good place to work if you work hard.

Don’t give managers or team leaders a reason to dislike you or be on their radar and you’ll be fine. Make an effort with the staff around you and you’ll fit in.

Never again

Absolutely cannot recommend to anyone. Treated their staff like cattle. Management was terrible. Everyone formed their own little groups and if you weren’t in that group you were merely an outsider.

good people but company lacks communication

Relaxed environment with good people just poor communication from the top. Pay isn't great but i suppose you can earn commission if your in a sales role

Customer relations manager

Great place to work full support from management good benefits and pay. I came from the contract center and loved it it's fast paced they are very focused on quality they are all about the customer but help with training and feedback to make sure you can do what's needed.

Highly do not recommend working here

Ran completely unorganised management don’t have a clue what there doing , get called on your day off asking why your not at work because management don’t have a clue what’s happening , everyone’s probation gets extended also like 99.9 percent of the staff with very little explanation (seems like that may be a trick to not pay people for sickness pay).

Pros

Cons

Long hours Unorganised Bad management Unfair protocol

Steady employment

A good to place to work to learn new skills and build your portfolio. Great people and okay leadership. Higher up, it feels like the higher picture isn’t seen and if it is, there’s no investment.

Pros

People

Cons

Salary

Nice place to workPay on timeFriendly environment

It is a nice place to start to work on Finance and other roles, the company is fair. They pay on time and the colleagues are helpful and friendly. Typical Monday to Friday job.

Pros

Possibility of hybrid work in the future.

Cons

You don't have too much Overtime, just in some occasions.

Stressful and undervalued

Awful company to work for. Add more and more tasks to roles with no recompense, under the guise of and 'any other business', until your role becomes 2 roles into one. Managers are full of corporate spiel and say all the right things but actioning them is a completely different story. They all your opinion but never actually listen, mashing decisions on output that they have no experience in.

Pros

Cons

Over worked and under paid

Good luck figuring out any clear information from anybody

Commission structure is ridiculous considering how much money you make the company (o2) per day. You also get docked an enormous amount if you don’t offer unlimited data packages, accessories and additional lines to every customer, including elderly people who don’t use even 1gb of data, live alone and have called to save money on their bill, since they’re living off a pension. You work past your scheduled hours and don’t get paid for it unless you request it. Nobody communicates properly and guidelines are misunderstood from team to team, with no written documentation for clarification. Pay is slightly above minimum wage but they expect more than slightly above minimum effort. Pay people based on the amount of energy you would like them to expend at work and maybe the employee turnover wouldn’t be off the charts.

Soul destroying

I did 14 years I did actually enjoy the job when it was ventura but when capita took over it went downhill fast. No matter what you did it was never good enough. If you hit your target it was never enough cos they wanted more. It absolutely broke my mental health also getting shouted at most of the day from customers is devastating when all you want to do it help.

Busy environment

Lovely and caring managers. Good payGood trainingOpportunities to progressVery busy environment Long shifts Support from managers.Breaks are good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Capita. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Capita with

• Capita
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?