Capita

Capita Employee Reviews for Disability Assessor

Found 69 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,477 reviews

Hard to begin with but worth it

The hardest part of the job is at the beginning, especially if coming from a clinical role. You need to learn how to adapt the way you think to a more functional approach. The initial 6-9 months is the hardest as you learn the job and gain approval, there is a lot of feedback given which can be disheartening however if you don't take this as a personal attack and use it as a learning experience this will benefit you greatly. Once you have learnt the ropes and got better at report writing the work life balance gets better and feels more flexible. There is plenty of support available if needed and should be used as this will help that initial stage.

Pros

work from home, flexibility with working day

Cons

long hours to begin with, negative feedback can take its toll if taken personally

Very stressful and no personal life

Had to undergo 5 weeks training which you have to pass to continue then you are on probation for 6 months, if in this time you don’t become an approved assessor you need to find a new job. Remember the saying “to err is human” well it isn’t when working for Capita, one mistake and you are out and they then threaten your Health care qualification. Most of the managers do not have any type of health care qualification and treat assessors like something on their shoe.

Pros

No pros

Cons

Long hours, abusive claimants, managers who treat health care professionals like rubbish

Work hard, dedicate time and effort to your learning and you will enjoy the rewards

The hardest part of the DA role is after the initial training and you're in the job for the first 6-9 months, you do spend extra time outside of the 9-5 learning the ropes, reading up, amending your work, referring to resources and seeking guidance and support. But you're learning a new job, why wouldn't you need to put in the hard work? you need to be flexible and accommodating in the beginning as you are learning new skills, new knowledge and the policies and protocols that surround a very complex service, and it does take time for some people to grasp, myself included, but I worked hard, put in the hours and now I have a job that I can do well, I most definitely finish within my 9-5, I have an excellent manager who is a great communicator and willing to be very flexible. The company provides as much support and coaching as you need, and I availed of plenty along the way. It doesn't suit some people because it is very different to hands on clinical practice but it does suit others and enables a flexible work-life balance especially for those with family commitments. I would definitely recommend Capita as a company but the actual job role itself may not be for everyone.

Pros

Supportive accommodating manager, flexible work-life balance, lots of coaching and support

Cons

Initially work extra hours while learning

Fast-paced, and supportive

Due to the nature of the PIP contract, which is working with the most vulnerable in our society, the job is hard at times. However, the support is there to get you through. The management look after their staff - they are understanding and caring. The Senior Management team take time to understand the obstacles in the role and what they can do to make things easier and more manageable. They are always liaising with the DWP to improve the way we assess and making the claimant journey smoother.

Pros

clear support structures and go-to people

Cons

Role is overwhelming at times

Busy but rewarding job

I have worked for the business for over 5 years as a Disability Assessor. It is hard work, particularly at the beginning, due to the training and amount you have to learn about the business but it is worth it and rewarding. The management are very supportive and appreciative of hard work. The assessment process is very fair and has the customer's best interest at heart. The work is flexible and makes the work/life balance achievable. Whilst the job can have it's challenges and is busy, this is reflected in the pay and bonuses that are provided for hard work and productivity. As a nurse I love that i am still able to help others, talk to them daily and provide support and empathy.

Pros

Nursing registration fees paid. Supportive and appreciative management. Good salary.

Cons

n/a

Terrible company to work for !

The salary is a con as you are given so much work that you end up working at least 45 to 60 hours a week to meet your targets so the salary they qoute for 37.5hrs a week is total fiction. There is an under current of pressure to change your reports to a lower score hence reducing benefits payments. The training is the start of the 'brainwashing' procedure where they constantly challenge your values as a Nurse and your judgment and assessment skills.

Pros

Your typing skills will improve !

Cons

45 to 60 hours a week getting paid for 37.5hrs. No support, constant pressure to change your reports.

Flexible and supportive job

I love this job! After working 14 years for the NHS, it was time for a change. I'm not saying this is always an easy job but you are appreciated and supported. You learn how to work smart not hard. You only need to ask and the support is there. The culture is just that support is given where asked or needed. Times are tough working virtual and adapting to the changes during the pandemic but if anything this makes work life balance even better.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Its different to the clinical environment.

Flexible work life balance

I have worked for Capita for over 5 years, my current role in the business allows me to have a flexible work life balance. Management are really supportive and there are frequent opportunities for progression within the business.

Pros

Flexible work life balance, supportive management, well paid, opportunities for progression.

Cons

n/a

Worst job I’ve ever had

Don’t put yourself through the torture. Horrible job, no work life balance and ridiculous daily expectations. String you along with probation. RUN!!!!!

Pros

Work from home

Cons

12+ hour days to get work done and constant criticism.

Nice working enviorenment

I read a lot of reviews but I am happy to have made the decision to get employed here. Great team, great support from managers and they really look after you, you are part of the team from day 1 and there absolutely no one to make you feel otherwise. A good level of written and spoken English is essential and good computer skills also so I would not suggest this job to whom can’t manage these. Then the first few months it is very hard, lot of work and less time for yourself, but after learning how things work the hours are quite flexible. Well done Capita for all support!

If you have a good nursing job DO NOT give it up for this role

The training is comprehensive but it is no preparation for the reality of the job. You are rapidly increased to assessing 4 claimants a day. The report writing is exceptionally hard as there are no proformas and after 12 weeks it was still taking 4 hours to write up each report. I was working on my day off and all weekend to keep up with the report writing. Each case has to be prepared in advance and this takes a minimum of one hour. Some claimants can have up to 50 pieces of evidence to read prior to the actual assessment, which has to be done the night before. Your clinical experience counts for nothing. The report will be returned to you if you do not put the description the DWP wants. There are no redeeming features for this job. If you are a diligent and highly qualified nurse DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS JOB.

Cons

Demanding and challenging. Too high expectations of staff!

So, before I commenced working as a Disability assessor for Capita. I did my homework and research before. I read all these negative reviews about the disabilitiy assessor job roles and thought surely this could not be possible? Well this leads me to now. Completion of 4 weeks in training. This training was interesting and difficult, although I did enjoy this. Although from week two of training I soon learnt that management treat you like robots. Setting too high an expectation of the HUGE workload. Hours of report writing. Management require speed, and accuracy all the time which I can understand. Working hours for me 8-8 pm ! Not 9-5 pm.as advertised. I feel disappointed by the treatment towards their staff. Clinical trainers, coaches and team manager that have lied about new starters. As an experienced nurse. I will not wish anyone to experience this horrible scenario at the risk of losing their professional pin number. To fellow nurses our there that may be thinking of changing career. I kindly advise you to think very carefully. This job brought on stress and migraines for me. Management do not care and do not believe staff! Now I have learnt from this experience. I should have listened to the advice in these job reviews as it was a true picture of the Capita Disabilitiy assessor job role. Good luck everyone with your future job searches.

Pros

Good intensive training.

Cons

Long hours. Lack of respect to staff.dishonest

Terrible

Please do not leave NHs for this !! No work life balance. Managers not clinical and only care about their bonus. The training did not prepare you for the job. The managers will tell you to carry on even if it means you get in trouble. They are not supportive at all as a company.You are paid for 37 hours but you work at least 60. A week. AWFUL JOB !!

Cons

Great if you have no other commitments

It wasn't for me. There was support but the work far outweighed the pay. Working 60+ hours a week as you have to finish reports in your own time. You do not get paid for extra hours you put in.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Long hours, taking work home

Harsh and unfair company to work for

Capita has a very bad name for being harsh and unfair to its employees - I was one of them. All my manager cared about was statistics and numbers and being on top of all other managers, even if it meant scrutinising employees. I was there for over 2 years learnt a lot but didn't really enjoy it. They say you don't work weekends but infact you do - your on that laptop most of the time and I've developed migraines due to this - told manager but she was useless in offering support. They have managers who have no clue in talking to people - just business minded. Not empathetic to employees at all. DO NOT apply for this company. It is an absolute joke.

Pros

Wages

Cons

Managing is awful, always on laptop, my own health has deteriorated

Stressful and monotonous

Salary seems attractive, when you realise the hours needed to meet targets it's actually not! You will get the job! They are desperate! Can't keep staff. Micromanaged! Daily time sheets breaking down what you did every half hour of your working day to justify every minute. What they don't tell you until the day you start is if you don't pass training you have no job! If not meeting their targets in 6 months...sacked. I stuck it a year.

Pros

Office hours

Cons

Treated like school kids not health professionals.

This is not what it is advertised To be.

Be prepared for 16 hour days, training is good but after support could improve a lot. You are thrown in after. You have buddy for a week who listens in on the assessments but more support needed initially with report writing. Friendly people, but a very hard job needing a lot of hours commitment.

Good bye life

14 hour days but only paid for 7.5. None clinical managers who have no idea what the job entails . Do not leave your current nursing job . False advertising. Although they advertise weekends and bank holidays off , you will be working writing reports and prepping cases for the week ahead .

Great company

Competitive pay and great philosophy they take car of their staff and listen to our needs and concerns Their values are well known throughout the business and regular training is provided

Stressful, clickly place to work

Fast paced, overbooked, stressful, minimal support, fabricated information at interview, making it sound like the ideal job, but once out doing it, found out it was a nightmare

Cons

Long hours, overbooked days, minimal support

Disability assessor

Please do not leave a NHS post to join Capita as a Disability Assessor - it’s a job that will completely take over your life. All cases are audited and virtually impossible to pass. There’s a very silly rule about getting five grade A reports in a row to get approved. This is a very difficult thing to achieve as audit will tell you amend cases for things such as not typing a word correctly. Given that the reports are 3000 words upwards this becomes a real issue. You will work many more hours than what you get paid meaning the salary is poor. I cannot see who would give this job five stars probably someone employed by Capita and told to do this so folks don’t get put off. Yes the training was pleasant and the first few weeks okay afterward it is awful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Capita. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement