Capita PLC

Capita PLC Employee Reviews for Disability Assessor

Capita are not interested in retaining their staff once trained up. It was a shame a I liked the job but the report writing was impossible. Your life felt like it was taken over by the number of reports you had to prepare for, write or amend. You could literally be expected to sit at your computer night and day! Even if yo-yo had days off there was a pressure to write reports.
The training is comprehensive but it is no preparation for the reality of the job. You are rapidly increased to assessing 4 claimants a day. The report writing is exceptionally hard as there are no proformas and after 12 weeks it was still taking 4 hours to write up each report. I was working on my day off and all weekend to keep up with the report writing. Each case has to be prepared in advance and this takes a minimum of one hour. Some claimants can have up to 50 pieces of evidence to read prior to the actual assessment, which has to be done the night before. Your clinical experience counts for nothing. The report will be returned to you if you do not put the description the DWP wants. There are no redeeming features for this job. If you are a diligent and highly qualified nurse DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS JOB.
Cons
So, before I commenced working as a Disability assessor for Capita. I did my homework and research before. I read all these negative reviews about the disabilitiy assessor job roles and thought surely this could not be possible? Well this leads me to now. Completion of 4 weeks in training. This training was interesting and difficult, although I did enjoy this. Although from week two of training I soon learnt that management treat you like robots. Setting too high an expectation of the HUGE workload. Hours of report writing. Management require speed, and accuracy all the time which I can understand. Working hours for me 8-8 pm ! Not 9-5 pm.as advertised. I feel disappointed by the treatment towards their staff. Clinical trainers, coaches and team manager that have lied about new starters. As an experienced nurse. I will not wish anyone to experience this horrible scenario at the risk of losing their professional pin number. To fellow nurses our there that may be thinking of changing career. I kindly advise you to think very carefully. This job brought on stress and migraines for me. Management do not care and do not believe staff! Now I have learnt from this experience. I should have listened to the advice in these job reviews as it was a true picture of the Capita Disabilitiy assessor job role. Good luck everyone with your future job searches.
Pros
Good intensive training.
Cons
Long hours. Lack of respect to staff.dishonest
Please do not leave NHs for this !! No work life balance. Managers not clinical and only care about their bonus. The training did not prepare you for the job. The managers will tell you to carry on even if it means you get in trouble. They are not supportive at all as a company.You are paid for 37 hours but you work at least 60. A week. AWFUL JOB !!
Cons
It wasn't for me. There was support but the work far outweighed the pay. Working 60+ hours a week as you have to finish reports in your own time. You do not get paid for extra hours you put in.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Long hours, taking work home
Capita has a very bad name for being harsh and unfair to its employees - I was one of them. All my manager cared about was statistics and numbers and being on top of all other managers, even if it meant scrutinising employees. I was there for over 2 years learnt a lot but didn't really enjoy it. They say you don't work weekends but infact you do - your on that laptop most of the time and I've developed migraines due to this - told manager but she was useless in offering support. They have managers who have no clue in talking to people - just business minded. Not empathetic to employees at all. DO NOT apply for this company. It is an absolute joke.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Managing is awful, always on laptop, my own health has deteriorated
Salary seems attractive, when you realise the hours needed to meet targets it's actually not! You will get the job! They are desperate! Can't keep staff. Micromanaged! Daily time sheets breaking down what you did every half hour of your working day to justify every minute. What they don't tell you until the day you start is if you don't pass training you have no job! If not meeting their targets in 6 months...sacked. I stuck it a year.
Pros
Office hours
Cons
Treated like school kids not health professionals.
Be prepared for 16 hour days, training is good but after support could improve a lot. You are thrown in after. You have buddy for a week who listens in on the assessments but more support needed initially with report writing. Friendly people, but a very hard job needing a lot of hours commitment.
14 hour days but only paid for 7.5. None clinical managers who have no idea what the job entails . Do not leave your current nursing job . False advertising. Although they advertise weekends and bank holidays off , you will be working writing reports and prepping cases for the week ahead .
Competitive pay and great philosophy they take car of their staff and listen to our needs and concerns Their values are well known throughout the business and regular training is provided
Fast paced, overbooked, stressful, minimal support, fabricated information at interview, making it sound like the ideal job, but once out doing it, found out it was a nightmare
Cons
Long hours, overbooked days, minimal support
Please do not leave a NHS post to join Capita as a Disability Assessor - it’s a job that will completely take over your life. All cases are audited and virtually impossible to pass. There’s a very silly rule about getting five grade A reports in a row to get approved. This is a very difficult thing to achieve as audit will tell you amend cases for things such as not typing a word correctly. Given that the reports are 3000 words upwards this becomes a real issue. You will work many more hours than what you get paid meaning the salary is poor. I cannot see who would give this job five stars probably someone employed by Capita and told to do this so folks don’t get put off. Yes the training was pleasant and the first few weeks okay afterward it is awful
The pay is inviting and even the training..although tough is doable. However the job is horrendous. All your work is put through a rigorous audit..and each auditor has different opinions on your work..so you do something one way one time and it's right.. next time you do it you're told you're wrong. And get a fail grade. Get enough fails and they sack you.
Most DAs work in excess of 50 hours per week in the first six months. All work is audited and this can be frustrating when assessments are returned and amendments that you don't agree with are made in your name. Very high staff turnover and nothing like the interview promises. Pressured and fast pace with 12hours work for every 8 hour shift.
I worked as a field DA for 3 years. At the time of leaving it was a rare thing to still be working in the role after that length of time. Most DAs left within weeks of starting. It’s a job you need to completely set aside every other aspect of your life for. You need to be prepared to choose report writing over spending time with family and friends. The work load was ridiculous with management being purely concerned with meeting targets and getting bonuses. There was little to no support, little flexibility and it was a very unpleasant role in which you can set aside any health professional training or caring attributes you may have and switch on your cynical side. A day spend often being verbally and physically abused by customers.
working in an office and in the community assessing individuals and writing reports. The element of patient care is overridden by the need to meet targets to enable managers above to achieve bonuses! Avoid at all costs!!!
Training is fun. It gets you keen and excited. But they will drop you if you don't meet the grade with no notice period. They expect a few not to make it through training so if you're leaving a career and pension be aware. Only about 10 per cent of my group are still here. Most quit. Many get laid off. The job is pure mind numbing. It's depressing. The financial reward wears off quickly.
I started this job being aware of all the negative publicity but being a nurse for 33 years I felt it was a role where I could make a difference and give the customer a positive experience. The five weeks theoretical training with interactive scenarios using professional actors was fantastic. The trainers were so enthusiastic and a well rounded base to start our work in the clinic. The support continued with coaching and I always felt at any time I had a range if people I could contact for advice from those with more experience to my team manager. I appreciate the job is not for everyone and as well as health care expertise you need to be computer literate to deal with various packages used to assess and document reports.it is not fast paced but there are precise timings involved so you do need to be organised and conscientious. clinicclinic.coachiclicontjnued
This is a great job for a single person with no life! The working hours are unreasonably long, the management are not supportive in the least and as for the care and compassion you have as a nurse - forget it! The whole job is productivity led with little thought or respect for claimants or those assessing. Think long and hard before accepting a job here
Pros
PROS -fairly good salary with good benefits, clinic is conveniently situated for all travel needs, equipment supplied is of good quality, That's it!!
Cons
No support. Unreasonable goals to reach within the timescales demanded. NO job security, if your face doesnt fit - your out! Nursing skills and knowledge rendered irrelevant
If you don’t mind being physically & verbally abused or have the claimants stork you, then apply. No work life balance. Contracted 3 days a week but work 60+ hours with no extra pay. Management have no managerial skills. They couldn’t careless about your safety as long as they hit their targets. Don’t be attracted by the pay, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be!
I recently started working for Capita and honestly, it's hard, but you are so so so supported! Yes there is a lot to learn, and it takes some time to get used to the style of writing reports, but your workload is gradually increased over 3 months and you have such good support from coaches, advice line and management throughout. You won't get 9-5 life straight away but you will get a really varied and interesting job role
Pros
Lots of support, gradual task increase, weekends off, better money than NHS
Cons
Lots to learn