Cardiff Council
Happiness score is 61 out of 100

Cardiff Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom162 reviews

Relaxed environment

One of best places to work. I suspect because it’s a non profit organisation this made the experience really relaxing and non stressful. Everyone who worked within the council was pleasant and easy to talk to.

Productive and stress free

Working here was stress free for me, All team leaders are exceptional and always ready to help. There is room for flexibility and a perfect place for mums or dads to work so they can easily look after their kids. The best place I have worked so far.

Pros

Flexibility

Insights into Cardiff Council

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks

Supportive environment

Great place to work, lots of support, great work/life balance and pay is above living wage. I’ve really enjoyed my time or king within the role———————

Fast paced and friendly team

I enjoy my current role. I feel supported and the team are fairly laid back. I manage my own workload which I prefer. Not much opportunity to progress which is a shame and the salary could be much better it should be inline with government roles I would say.

Money wasted, unsupervised staff

I, along with colleagues, are so demotivated to see how many staff members don't do their job well, don't care and aren't interested. Top heavy structure and huge wastage. Good job security but hard to feel valued at times. Particularly bad manager who is a dreadful bully and yet has gone up the ranks. Too much tax payer's money spent on staff who don't do any work but there are some brilliant people in the team. On the whole I wouldn't recommend this employer.

Stressful at times and favouritism is present.

Money is brilliant. Far to many weekends working. Job is very varied if you are multiskilled but changing all the time can be a pain and expected of you at a drop of a hat. This can be hard with all the covid rules changes.

Pros

Home working

Cons

to many weekends working

Good work/life balanceTraining givenMinimum stressInteresting workFriendly office when working from the Council buildingWorking from home now encouraged which is very useful if you have children etcWell being is a priority Management seem fair and approachable

Pros

Lack of pressure Flexi Time

Very stressful job.

Looking after and helping people i love it but sometimes clients can be very angry and nasty towards us and we are there to help.it put you on the back foot sometimes.

Pros

A good wage but the job is always there has older people seem to live longer and need more help.

Cons

Its shift work so sometimes you dont no when to sleep or eat.

Mixed management, everyone out to get each other or climb later.

Mixed managent, people in charge of sections they have no experiencein. Very political and people trying to gain one up on each other. Hours are great and work life balance, however pay scales are stuck behind times and some jobs graded higher than jobs that should be on the snap or above level.

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Political, showmanship on each other, pay grades not great for what is expected.

No direction, poor level of training and no very poor and unprofessional management team all round

Treated like robots with no room for progression. All about number of dials and stats, KPI driven.No such thing as team, working hours rubbish with appalling pay. B**** management team who don’t know how to manage their day let alone their team. Very unprofessional not rewarding work as they say. The work culture is toxic and draining.Super old systems, very bad training with no oversight. Stay clear if you want to stay sane and have some dignity!

Pros

Nothing at all

Cons

Long hours Bad management Terrible pay Rubbish training

Relaxed

I enjoy working for Cardiff Council, although I feel like the work environment is not very challenging. Lots of people in same job for years in comfirt zone

Pros

Flexable working

Cons

No targets or goals

Great place to work, good work life balance however the pay was just not enough, struggled to live aswell as pay the bills, ended up doing an extra job on my weekends off which meant a day off was quite rare.

disorganised

supported living independent living services clicky and misreble.Very run down house. new staff hard to fit in. always moaningno where to park. using cash for everything, very old fashioned system.

Pros

no free lunch, if you were out with a service user, you had to pay for your own meal

Cons

salary ok

Need to train their advisers and not promote staff just because they are family or friends

I worked here and was shocked to the limited knowledge across the team. Not the staffs fault. Unfortunately some trainers and managers are not cut out to do the jobs and need to retrain. This was only in money advice team. I am not able to comment on any other department in the council. Unfortunately there are far too many temporary contracts and not enough permanent contracts offered. A lot of the opinions across the council is if you are not a good friend or a family member of some of the senior managers then you will go nowhere. Too many staff are promoted because of who they know and not on how well they can do the job.

Cons

Management, Training and working thursday evenings and some saturdays

Managerial shambles

There are far too many managers at Telecare Cardiff. Only 1 or 2 of all the managers actually care about the work and have half a clue in management skills, the rest are absolutely diabolical, and that includes all Head management too for seeing and ignoring. None of the departments within Telecare are run to an acceptable standard. If you're a conscientious, hard working, caring employee, then Telecare is definitely NOT for you. If you would prefer not be treated poorly and unfairly as a reward for compassionate, dedicated work, then I would highly recommend staying far away from Telecare. A very plauground type atmosphere, an upsetting and mentally unhealthy environment to work in.

Pros

The Cons far out weigh any Pros

Cons

Management. 90% of staff. Work ethic.

Lovely place to work, however....

Worked for them for quite a few years, doing adhock work, in different hubs across Cardiff. Colleagues and other stakeholders were lovely and supporting eachother as the amount of work is massive, however low or medium level Management is poor and don't care about it's own staff. If you want to grow proffesionally get ready coz you will not only have competion (which is normal) but you'll also have to put up with a system that promotes nepotism and affinity bias. Yayk!

Pros

Nice work environment

Cons

You have to know someone who knows someone to go up the ladder

Don’t waste ur life

Don’t ever think that helping other in there job trying to gain experience to work ur way up or even training matters... all that matters is who u know and if they like you and want to prep u for the jobs that they have available.. they always have someone in mind for the position.. they have managers that can’t even do their job.. and all work that u put in is never appreciated..

Pros

Good training opportunities

Cons

Long list

good place to work

if you can get a job in the council, within the social letting team - DO NOT PASS IT UP. very very very good place to work. friendly place to work, good paced environment. although i regularly got bored(as not enough work for me for a full day) so i used to clean the office and staff kitchens instead.

Enjoy going to work

Really great pension and really good place to work for..its a job for life. Always a different day as a driver and never a day that's the same..paid breaks in the salary to.

Excellent job

Brilliant workplace, supportive culture. Very friendly and helpful staff and managers. Great work life balance. Good pay and and enjoyable job. Definitely the best place I’ve worked

Pros

Monday - Friday, good pay, friendly staff/managers, enjoyable job

Good rate of pay and annual leave entitlement.

Cardiff council are very loyal to their employees. They can offer extra overtime if available. The rate of pay is better than any where else. Annual leave entitlement is also very good.I have worked for the council for many years and only left once for what i thought was a better employment offer, only to return to the council shortly after.

Pros

Paid holidays, good team support.

Cons

sometimes have to cover for others at short notice.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cardiff Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Cardiff Council with

• Cardiff Council
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?