Carnell Support Services Ltd

worksafetyjobcompanyplacehealthgoodgreat

Very enjoyable work place

Featured review

Carnell Support Services Ltd selected this as a representative review
Excellent set of lads to work with nice safe environment all working together to get home safe and well at the end of a shift everything is set in place before every shift is due to start

Pros

Free work wear and company Vehcal

Cons

Not much over time

Good place, pay could be better

I enjoyed working here but the pay could’ve been better. Also couldn’t plan much as it involves a lot of working away from home and location could change at the drop of a hat this is also the same as to working hours. One day could be on days then back out that night.That being said it was a great place to learn new skills, met some great people and the management was great.

Pros

Progression, skills, environment

Cons

Working away, shift changes

Insights into Carnell Support Services Ltd

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues

Too much responsibility too little experience

I had sssts and had supervised on many projects in the civil engineering /construction industry. But to act as site manager on a highways england motorway enclosure overwhelmed me. My background was drainage and on my last mentor shift I had 20 vehicles. I never had the experience and other supervisors at carnell never had a cscs black card despite being there years. I had a broad background and white card but had training needs. The next shift I was expected to be alone. I told them I wasn't competent for the job. They were great about it.I just feel they need to have a training plan to move men in supervisory roles towards black card and the essential training it involves.Sssts can't act as manager for a site on highways england.

Pros

Supportive of staff when raised worries

Cons

High expectations from under qualified staff.

Good opportunities and supportive workplace!

Very good place to work - everyone is really helpful and I'm always learning new things. Lots of opportunities and employees are really supported throughout their daily job roles.

Pros

Friendly and helpful staff

Great people

Good place to work, including clients and suppliers.I can't comment on the temporary or labour-only staff, but I've found people throughout the company (site / office, operatives / directors), are friendly, approachable and respectful.New ownership and management are providing greater emphasis on employee satisfaction, particularly for site-based colleagues.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Depends what you're like and what you do

Productive and rewarding!

Great place to work. Everyone is lovely, hard working and always happy to help. Many opportunities for every employee, depending on what path you choose for your career.

Pros

Great opportunities

Good firm but just drop u like a hat

Was a good firm to work for there safety was second to none the lads were also fantastic , sometimes the shift work could take its role and the working away from home but other than that was ok ...

Pros

Safety second to none

Cons

Jobs not entirely safe

Great job for the right person

During my time there I enjoyed working allover the country and built great knowledge of the industry but as time progressed the company wanted more and more so the benefits of early finishes on a Friday night and not paid for travelling became too much

Pros

Company vehicle, great management, Quality PPE Provided

Cons

No private mileage, late nights, long shifts, poor pay

Motorway working

A typical nights work can vary depending on the scheme, sometimes lifting ops some times digging. Each task requires operators planing along with exhaustive safety checks and briefings.

Pros

Safe work, different schemes

Cons

13th year staying away from home

Bad company

Lead lads on by offering work , plus even if you are a good worker if your face doesn’t your out , could go on do not adhere to health and safety only when it suited them , working in trenches without trench box

Pros

No pros

Cons

Supervisors are bullies

Terrible head office

Promised a job, not heard a thing back. Terrible organisation and in general terrible management. Just leave you on the Learch awaiting a call from someone that doesn’t really exist.

Pros

Cons

Lots

A great company to work for

I have worked at the company for over 5 years and have a great relationship with colleagues on site and in the office, right to management level at carnell. There are lots of benefits and rewards to be redeemed for your hard work. Line manager always checks in on a weekly basis with a hands on approach and regular commitment to employees welfare.

Dreadful company to work for. Avoid at all costs

Contract Managers have little experience within the industry. One occasion instructing to excavate in an area knowingly there was a presence of asbestos reported in the works. Very worrying company could not leave quick enough.

Poor management

AVOID AVOID Very horrible to work for its 1 rule for management and enough for operative the site manager put you under pressure and belittle and talk down to you like you dirt and you can never do anything right to make them happy there's also a lot of bullying they say there an equal opportunity company but they take the p*ss out there staff with disabilities there no such thing as team work they go on about safety but there's no safety procedure in place also if a member of your family is I'll like my son was and was in hospital for 4 days on returning to work I got a warning for being off supporting my child

Professional liars (and not very good at it)

Interview went well-was looking forward to working for them.But they tried getting me to work 16hr days for peanuts,with no compromise too. STAY AWAY!

judgemental over things they have no idea about

after being approached by an agency i was offered a position as supervisor a position that i was more than capable to undertake 38 years in construction .to then be told that they are rescinding the offer because of my driving licence i have an old offence one month off 5 years. expired almost 2 years on my licence i was on the understanding that i was being employed to work on a road project as a supervisor most of the time i am on the front line on my feet not in a van and 1 month off 5 years to a get removed off licence pathetic

Site supervisor

The site supervisor positions are more like site manager duties but they want to pay you less, the health and safety and workforce competency are abysmal to say the least. I'm surprised no one has been seriously injured and highly surprised they can still get contracts. The company is more smoke and mirrors pretending they know what to do only met a handful of people with actual experience shocking. . And watch out they don't try take more money from you when you leave they took 1400 for a training course I never received. The can keep it

High level of staff rotation / Long hours away from home

Very unpaid staff, national average for operatives is £12-£14 an hour, not £8 and £8.50 an hour. Told you never work away although 75% of the year is spent away from home. And they expect you to work 12 days away when it suits them. Majority hired by Carnell are agency and receive £15-£24 an hour, but theyre own staff are on £80 a day-£85 a day to be out the house 14 hours? YES. It says on your contract 14 hours door to door, for £85 a day. Apply elsewhere, plenty other construction jobs in Stafford.

Secure Job

Carnell like to be seen as a family. They encourage growth from their staff and are keen to stay at the forefront of the industry. Help them achieve this and you will be rewarded with job security and good pay

Pros

Job Security

Cons

Less family time

£89 per day ! H+E Not There...stab you in the back

Promised me Electrictricans role (Starter) but used me for my HGV licence! Worked here for 8 months in that time had a coloum dropped on my leg, plant debris hit m in my eye (Fractured) now have eye problems... they stabbed me in the back... in the end put my notice in but as they don't want to be seen with high staff turn around they gave me the boot... reckon they have made a courtesy call to see how I'm doing.... nope. They make out to highways England and Kier there Health & safety is amazing but that's not really true only show them what they want to see. £9ph for this type of work !!!!! AVOID TRUST ME OR TOU ILL BE THERE NEXT FATALITY!!!

Varied job, plenty of travel

Enjoyed my time working here, constant nights on motorways, can be long waits and boring at times but overall OK. Worked with some great people but also some proper backstabbers too so be wary. Good wage for the hours worked. One or two supervisors think they are god but you learn to ignore it after a while. They will drop you without any warning!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carnell Support Services Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement