Carpetright
Happiness score is 59 out of 100

Carpetright Employee Reviews

United Kingdom253 reviews

Better than I expected

I took this job for what I thought was going to be a short term solution before moving on to something else.. after nearly a year here I actually love my job. It can be stressful at times with warehouse issues and the occasional fitting issue but overall working with my team (very small team) I actually really enjoy it.

Pros

Employee discount, great team, 9-6 working hours with only one late night a week

Cons

Pay could be better

– 11 August 2022
Great to hear you love your job! Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. As I'm sure you're aware we've communicated the details of a proposal to change the way we reward our retail colleagues. All being well, once we're agreed on the way forward, that should bring a positive improvement to the reward package for the Deputy Manager role

No choice but to leave

I worked here 20 years and had to leave due to wage changes next year I used to work overtime every week so it made it fair pay but their stopping overtime and also double pay for bank holidays so taking away loyalty pay for long service in my eyes ,towards the end I felt very undervalued didn’t even get a mention or thanks from anyone senior for 20 years service just a gift voucher through the post ,I was realy good at my job hit targets 98% of the time but due to wage changes and new regional being on your case 24/7 and even telling you off when orders booked a few days later and not there and then I had no choice but to leave the place I loved and gave everything too the new pay structure just isn’t enough for a pressure sales job a lot of colleagues have been topped up to minimum wage

Pros

Flexible breaks

Cons

New pay structure

Insights into Carpetright

• Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues

Changed days, All down hill

So many long service staff and management have left, managers wages changed and despite an attempt to resell it as wonderful new package, 90% drop around 10-12k. and 7 days holidays.

Official response from Carpetright

24 October 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We’re in consultation with our colleagues at the moment over a proposed change to our reward and benefits package, which has been tailored for each job type. We’re taking the time to listen to our colleagues views and feedback to ensure that they are able to contribute to this ongoing consultation process. You have quoted numbers in relation to managers wages and holidays that we don’t recognise - there appears to be a misunderstanding as these are not part of the proposals announced. We’d be happy to discuss this with your further if you would like, please get in touch via IndeedReviews@carpetright.co.uk

Too demanding for one person

The manageress of the store hasn't got a clue which puts most of the manual work load on one person.You don't get asked about overtime, just expected to do it, even though it was explained it would effect housing costs and benefit payments.Health and safety is shockingly bad

– 11 August 2022
Sorry to hear about your experience with us. If you'd like to have a further conversation with us, please make contact via IndeedReviews@carpetright.co.uk

Don’t apply here

Management is poor, false promises and lack of communication from the area manager. Constant lies I would not recommend working for this company. Forced to work every Saturday and Sunday, Forced into overtime and written warnings when you don’t do them.

– 26 May 2022
Thanks for taking time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear about the experience you have had with us. If you would like to discuss the issue further then you can contact us on IndeedReviews@carpetright.co.uk.

Very good company to work for

You are never bored there is always things to do. The staff are great like a second family. All different types of customers. Lots of different roles. No day is the same.

Pros

reasonable hours, good work/life balance, friendly staff

Cons

short staffed sometimes

– 11 July 2022
Thanks for taking the time to leave us such a positive review!

Great place to work, excellent learning potential

I love working at Carpetright. The team I work with are second to none at what they do, the pay is great for the hours I do due to commission on every sale made, and there’s loads of support available should I need it.

– 20 May 2022
Thanks for taking the time to leave us such a positive review!

Horrible place to work, very stressful

Worked there for 3 years, as warehouse staff, as hard as l worked , they would put more work on you! Nothing was good enough for management! Money very poor, extremely hard work hand balling carpets of delivery vans stocking up shop, but worse thing was everyone having a go at you management & carpet fitters! Most nights going home feeling stressed & depressed! Anyone thinking a bout a job like this , do your self a favour. Don’t do it!! It’s not worth it! There’s more to life , then feeling like that every day!

– 11 May 2022

Really enjoyed my time at the Worcester store. Felt like a family place to be really good working environment and always had chance of progression. Made the mistake of leaving but hopefully return one day.

– 11 May 2022

Productive/collaborative

+ Great line management. + Engaging Regional Manager. + Competitive KPI focused environment. + Consultive role.+ Accountability/responsibility- Commission structure is unbearable. - Systems are dreadful- Too many administrative tasks.

– 14 April 2022
Thanks for taking time to leave us a review! It's great to hear you have a strong relationship with your regional manager! Thanks for your feedback, as ever we will take this on board and will consider this going forward.

Draining, messy.

Not good working environment. Managers have favourites,talk down and undermine. No real structure or possibly of growth unless you’ve been working there for years. Everything is a lie the managers steal and no one gets pulled up about it. Worst working environment.

– 14 April 2022

Poor Company Values

Women are not welcome in this industry, they don’t like you even if you do your job correctly. Paid wrongly every month, promises of this and that, but it’s all a cover plot. Management are awful, they eat all day and shout at all staff, belittling people. Not a nice place to be in all fairness, work you like a dog, make you work overtime everyday, no lunch or break time, just like a concentration camp.

– 1 April 2022
Thanks for taking time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear about the experience you have had with us. We take things like this seriously and would like to take conversation further to understand more. We are committed to ensure you feel heard. If you would like to discuss the issue further then you can contact us on IndeedReviews@carpetright.co.uk.

Poorly paid administration role

For minimum wage you are expected to be a sales person and an administrator, performing two roles meaning the admin had to be put to one side and suffered. The manager and sales team in the store I worked in didn’t care about the administration processes making the job extremely difficult and stressful

Pros

Some of the team were great

Cons

Stressful environment. Poor wage. System issues constantly. Unrealistic expectations

– 28 March 2022
Thanks for taking time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear that you haven't had a positive experience, If you would like to discuss the issue further then you can contact us on IndeedReviews@carpetright.co.uk.

Currently store manager

Worked for Carpetright for 12 years left and came back for another 8 years, excellent job progression and as long as your willing to put the effort in for a good team a great place to work

– 4 April 2022

New IT systems, pay.

Have worked here for 3 years, good at my job so get no grief. Their new IT is awful and takes ages to even get a sale through the till. This has also effected our pay which is always wrong, very difficult to check. It took over a year for me to get £1300 I wasn't paid most staff give up because they try not to give it to you. There is now no way of checking if it's right.

Pros

Manager, hours

Cons

Pay

– 28 March 2022

Good

Overal good experience but some aspects are challenging and sometimes you do not get the help you need from upper management. Flexible working but long and unnecessary hours over Xmas

Very low basic pay.

Very low basic pay. They make you sale more to earn commission and they add your commission to top up the low basic pay up to minimum wage. No fair. Pay is not good enough to run the family.No pay rise.

Pros

Easy to resign

Cons

Lower basic pay, doesn't matter how much business you bring for the company, they do not care

Poor management and pay

Interview process was quick and painless. Generic questions you would expect, including “sell this pen to me”.The company expects you to be able to sell, even under pressure with the competitive market. They even enCourage you with commission on top. However, they pay you something like £5.50ph and then use your commission to top up your salary to minimum wage meaning you have to work ridiculously hard to get a good commission amount.Work life balance is good. But, in terms of a long term and fair career, I wouldn’t recommend.Check out their reviews on Google and Facebook. That will give you more of an idea of the region managers level of care for both staff and customers.

Pros

Slow paced environment, enjoyable environment

Cons

Very poor pay, and even worse managers and CEOs

If I could put 0 stars I would

Worst company to work for!! If you want to work for pennies this is the company for you! Expect the world but don’t want to provide the salary! Awful management team! Avoid do better for yourself elsewhere

challenging work, but rewarding

I didn't think I would consider this long term, but I love it. There can be issues with getting the carpets in and sometimes fitting issues, but the challenge keeps each day varied and rewarding.

Pros

staff discount is 25%, managers get extra holidays

Cons

lone working can be hard

Standard sales job. Good commission.

Overall not a terrible place to work if you're a natural at sales. Pay is only acceptable due to commission, you get out what you put in.Unfortunately i was taken advantage of, ended up shadowing my MGR and doing alot of their work for them with no benefit to myself and a drop in pay as i spent less time on the shop floor and more time behind the desk. As long as you go and do the job you're paid to do and don't go above and beyond for no benefit, then this is the job for you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carpetright. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Learn about Carpetright in popular locations

• Carpetright