Cartrefi Cymru

Cartrefi Cymru Employee Reviews

If you are looking for a minimum wage job with a relatively poor life/work balance then this is the job for you. There are far too many responsibilities for the level of pay received. However seeing service users thrive was rewarding. Unfortunately their sickness policy is like something out of the dark ages. I worked with a lovely team, we all worked well together and did the best we could for our service users.
Pros
meals included
Cons
poorly paid for the responsibility
29 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.With regards to pay, unfortunately that is a constant challenge but that is sector wide, not just Cartrefi. Our attendance management policy is supportive and offers up to 6 months full pay (subject to length of service), which is something that not a lot of companies offer any longer.
I've been working for Cartrefi in supported living. Started With a different company and then Tuped over . So far it's been the best work experience in social care industry for me. The reason is because I've been treated with respect by management, there is good teamwork and service users appreciate my work and I feel privileged to be part of their life. There can be unsociable hours but what job isn’t these days, but you know what you’re getting into. Every day is different as you never know what you might be dealing with on said day. We are currently working through the pandemic of Covid19 which can be challenging but we are well supported and provided with relevant PPE to carry out care safely for Service users and staff. I am so proud of the work I do. I feel so disheartened Some colleagues, these are the individuals that try and pull the teams down and are so negative. honestly the only thing that is a negative about working for Cartrefi is a shift with these people constantly moaning, whatever the company do, it’s never good enough. Please don’t listen to negative reviews, these are people that have been managed as they’re not fit for the job, Cartrefi Support you and train you to do the job and management really do support you, but they don’t tolerate people that don’t meet their excellent standards. They always ensure the people we support get the best care possible. They’re not afraid to get rid of the dead wood to allow new staff to flourish and blossom.The staff turnover is so low in the houses I work in, which I feel shows what a great company it is to work for and - more...
Pros
Great job satisfaction
Cons
Negative colleagues- luckily there are only a few left
5 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive review on your experience with us. It is good to hear that you are enjoying your time with us, even though you did choose to work with us but transferred in under TUPE. It is fantastic to hear such a positive review and to hear that you enjoy working for us. Glad to hear that the training we provide is really good as that is something that not all employers provide.
A really supportive companyEnhanced sleep in rate pay Approachable management Good environment to work in Shame I had to leave for family reasons
Pros
Flexible working hours, understanding management, opportunities to progress if you wish to
5 February 2021
Excellent company to work for. Flexible hours that suited my home life and understanding bosses who are always available for support. Full training package provide with chances for carer progression. Company is very person centred and no two days are ever the same so never a chance of getting bored.
Pros
Supportive management and flexible working
Cons
Pay
5 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on your experience with us. We love receiving such positive reviews and to hear that you enjoyed working for us. Glad to hear that the training we provide is really good as that is something that not all employers provide.
Tupe from another company . Cartrefi is brutal . Not at all person centred . Management are programmed like robots . They get rid of loyal and hardworking staff . As long as the boxes are ticked , nothing else matters .
Pros
Cons
Brutal company
5 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on your experience with us. It is disappointing to hear you use the words "brutal" when describing your experience with us as that is not what the majority of staff feel and we employ over 1000 staff. We do not "get rid" of hardworking staff but we do deal with issues of performance proactively and if that means people do not meet our standard, then we would offer support before looking at other options. We hope you have found gainful employment elsewhere.
Working as part of a team is great and there is always a local office you can go to for support.The training provided is really good and the company will support you with qualifications.Leave is generous and the company pays for your DBS. Bank holiday pay is well above industry standard. There are good reporting/feedback lines and if you want to discuss something with management.Overall, great place to work which supports staff as best it can during challenging times.
Pros
Team working, benefits, many local offices
18 December 2020
This was my first job in the care sector and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. My role was challenging physically and mentally, but incredibly rewarding at the same time. Having spent five years with Cartrefi in various roles, I can honestly say that working in care has changed my outlook on life. It's true that the care sector is going through a tough time right now; money is tight and staffing is difficult but everyone has pulled together to make the best of it with the service users remaining their primary focus. The downsides are true of any care company, however. Low wages and long hours being the two main considerations if you're looking to work in care. This isn't Cartrefi's fault, however it's just the sad state that the care industry is in with respect to employees. On the upside, there's a large variety of training available and lots of overtime to pick up, depending on where you work. My personal reasons for leaving were mainly financial and needing regular hours due to my circumstances. Had those things not been an issue for me, I'd still be there.
Pros
Job satisfaction.
Cons
Long hours, wages.
18 December 2020
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on your experience with us. We love receiving such positive reviews and to hear that you enjoyed your time working for us. You are right that there are challenges with regards to this sector that will be the same whatever employer you choose to work for. You can't beat the job satisfaction though!
This is the best company in the care sector that I have worked for. I feel like I make a big difference to the people we support. I feel supported by managers and there is a great team ethos. Sleep in rate is excellent and well worth these shifts.
Pros
Great support and team working
7 December 2020
I love my job although the hours can be long, but it is a very rewarding role supporting vulnerable adults. The support we provide really does make a difference to the lives of these individuals. All days are different and that is what I really enjoy about the role - one day you may be accompanying a service user to the Cinema, the next you may be doing arts and crafts with them.The pay is as you would expect in the sector although the company are trying to find ways to help your money go further.
Pros
Making a difference to lives and good training provided
Cons
Shift work doesn't suit everybody
7 December 2020
i have worked here for 3 years and can honestly say its the best place ive worked, ignore all the bad reviews they are probably people who dont understand support work is 24 hours and includes xmas - it doesnt fall 9-3 mon - fri. the job is there to meet the needs of the service users and not the needs of the staff!we would all love to work between school hours with no evenings weekends and christmas and new year off, The management team at the Rhondda office are fab,and if they cant help or arent available, The admin is on the ball and 99% of the time will get the answer for you they are there to help anyone that needs them, dont get me wrong we all have good days and bad but thats part and parcel of life.Keep up the good work Cartrefi
Pros
rewarding job seeing how individuals thrive with the correct support
Cons
ok the hours can be long, but rotas are given 4 weeks in advance, and once the 1st week comes to an end, the 5th week is being added
7 December 2020
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on your experience with us. We love receiving such positive reviews and to hear that you are enjoying your work with us. You are right, support work isn't for everybody but if you enjoy seeing someone's face light up because you have helped them achieve something then this is the job for you!
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Cartrefi Cymru?
Omg what a company, service users brilliant, support staff brilliant, management awful, bullies, don’t communicate with you, bulled into doing things, if your face don’t fit then you are targeted, management are so clicky they forget support staff are humans also
11 November 2020
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us. It is a shame to hear that you feel that the management team were not very supportive and that you felt targeted. As you are so unhappy with the situation, there are other channels you could have use to raise your concerns with senior management/HR or the contactheceo facility which may be of use to you.
Honestly this company is beyond anything I’ve worked in before in care. Service users are fab. Management let this company down the Bridgend office well l simply don’t have any words to describe the cover up management do there. I can honestly see this Organization in the press in the future for failings of duty of care. Please keep away for your own sake.
Pros
Service users
Cons
Management Full Stop
29 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.It is a shame to hear that you felt that the management team let you down. If you were unhappy with the situation, there are other channels you could have used to raise your concerns with senior management/HR or the contactheceo facility which may have been of use to you.As you have worked in care previously, I am sure you will be aware that it is a highly regulated environment. We are subject to regular inspections by CIW and if there were any concerns regarding the standard of care, it would be raised appropriately and there have been no concerns raised. Providing a high level of care to those people we support is of paramount importance to us.
A very satisfying job giving support to adults in their own homes. Unfortunately, managers are very egotistical and destroy that satisfaction .The management of the house were always admonishing us for what they thought was politically incorrect language. Our language was correct, we used simple everyday speech. Such as the word “manipulative” to describe a service user with Prada Wili syndrome. I was admonished for this even though this is quite characteristic of people with the symptoms. All in all, a truly horrible place to work because of management and their egos.
Pros
Service users ok
Cons
Managers and their culture
26 November 2020
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.It is a shame to hear that you felt that the management team let you down and there would have been opportunities for you to raise any concerns with higher level management and even the CEO if you felt it was necessary.We would expect our staff to treat the people they are supporting with respect staff need to be mindful of the language they use at all times both with staff and the people we support.
Got taken over by this company and absolutely applaud! Inexperienced management! Raised SOVA concerns to 3 ASM a service manger & an area manager and nothing was done about it! Absolutely disgusting then got bullied and pushed out of the company! AVOID AT ALL COSTS. Toxic place to work as management seem to favour certain individuals
Pros
Cons
Poor Management
29 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us. I can advise you that we do take any safeguarding concerns seriously and report and investigate them appropriately. Often, this is done independently by the Local Authority and appropriate action taken.
Nice as pie getting you on board but after a few weeks you come to realise all is not as it seems. Managers are glorified support workers who dont have a clue what they are doing its a joke. Need to remember nothing is confidential with managers.A lot of favouritism & if your face doesnt fit you know it. Cant defend yourself or have opinion in a general conversation as management slams full blown investigation on you blowing it way out of proportion, they should spend time on doing their jobs right not encouraging gossip.Pay is bad and expect way too much from everyone, they work you to the bones. People they look after get good service but employees are treated badly.
Pros
Sleepin payment
Cons
Really bad management, Bad pay, Toxic culture, Treated badly, Very little support, Work over contract hours
11 November 2020
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your experience with us. It is a shame to hear that you felt that the management team were not supportive.Unfortunately, there is little we can do around the pay as this can be a challenge in this sector. We are looking at ways to improve this over the coming months. If you were unhappy with the situation, there are other channels you could have used to raise your concerns with senior management/HR or the contactheceo facility which may have been of use to you.We will look into the points you have raised further.
Forever taking staff on due to good staff leaving because of poor managment. If your in with the click in the office you'll get away with anything. Keep everything internal so HR havent got a clue whats going on. Confidentiality is appalling. Reporting things is pointless, nothing gets done. They will take anyone on and to get the sack youd have to murder for them to wake up and realise a bad member of staff. All good members of staff leave because of the poor management, im 1 of those!
Pros
Service users
Cons
management
29 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.It is a shame to hear that you felt that the management team were not supportive. If you were unhappy with the situation, there are other channels you could have used to raise your concerns with senior management/HR or the contactheceo facility which may have been of use to you.We will look into the points you have raised further.
Wasn’t with Cartrefi for long but really enjoyed my time there. The people we supported were challenging but it was a very rewarding job. Worked with some fantastic colleagues but it soon became apparent that not all was as it seemed. I had been warned by some colleagues from day one that the company were quick to sack people. I thought they were overreacting, I did my job, worked hard and got on well with the service users so assumed I was doing ok. Ok sure I made some mistakes, doesn’t everyone in a new job? That’s how you learn and progress. So, when I get called into the office I was a little worried but prepared for a bit of chat and some support and guidance. What I wasn’t expecting was an interrogation and to be told my probation period had been terminated. I was shocked and upset, they brought up things I was not aware of, nothing serious but a few things that had happened over the months I was there, some I knew about but other things were sprung on me, it was horrendous. All that should of been dealt with at the time, some feedback, maybe some more training. It was like come to work, get on with it, make a mistake, we don’t need you anymore. So where were the management, where was the team leader? What are their jobs anyway? Isn’t it to teach and support their staff? My advice to Cartrefi is please support your staff as well as the service users and remember a bit of feedback would help a lot.
Pros
Service users
29 September 2020
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.Making a difference to the people we support is really important to us but also how our staff feel too. It is disappointing to hear that you were not supported by management during your initial probationary period and that you felt things were sprung on you and came as a shock. We will look into this further to avoid it happening again.
No training Clicky staff Poor management Terrible pay Breach confidentiality Very instusionlised care Think they are better than other companies
29 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.It is a shame to hear that you felt that the management team were not supportive. All our staff are expected to undertake core mandatory training when they join us so unsure why you would comment that there was no training provided. With regards to pay, unfortunately that is a constant challenge but that is sector wide, not just Cartrefi and we are looking at ways in which we can improve pay and conditions.
An overall good company to work for. A very rewarding job which can be challenging at times. Full training given with access to obtaining qualifications in social care. Responsibilities are to support adults with learning difficulties to lead a full and happy life by helping them be part of the community and to support them with shopping and household tasks, keeping in touch with frfriends and family
6 July 2020
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.Making a difference to the people we support is really important to us but also how our staff feel too, so it's good to hear your positive comments and that you feel your role is rewarding. As you indicate, fully paid training is also offered which provides the opportunity to progress a career in care.
I've been working for Cartrefi for about 5 years at supported living. Started With a different company and then Tuped over . So far it's been the best work experience in social care industry for me. The reason is because I've been treated with respect by management, there is good teamwork and service users appreciate my work and I feel privileged to be part of their life. My rota and shifts pattern suits perfectly my preferences. There can be unsociable hours but what job isn’t these days, but you know what you’re getting into. Every day is different as you never know what you might be dealing with on said day. We are currently working through the pandemic of Covid19 which can be challenging but we are well supported and provided with relevant PPE to carry out care safely for Service users and staff. I am so proud of the work I do. I feel so disheartened Some colleagues, these are the individuals that try and pull the teams down and are so negative. honestly the only thing that is a negative about working for Cartrefi is a shift with these people constantly moaning, whatever the company do, it’s never good enough.The staff turnover is so low in the houses I work in, which I feel shows what a great company it is to work for and what a fantastic job it is. Pay is low but this is as a result of government funding. Let’s hope the pandemic puts more value on all roles in social care and funding improves. However we’re not in it for the money.
Pros
Varied shifts and responsibilities
Cons
Low pay for level of responsibility
6 July 2020
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your experience with us. Making a difference to the people we support is really important to us but also how our staff feel too, so it's good to hear your positive comments and that you feel that your work is rewarding. It has certainly been very challenging at the moment but our Support Workers have been working tremendously well to support the people we support and ensure they stay safe but still have enjoyable times.
Very rewarding job. Majority of staff were great who put in 100% and genuinely cared about providing the best care and support .Some staff had poor attitudes and were disrespectful on times to other staff.the management and service users which was frustrating and disappointing.Good mananagment and communication.Great training. Nowhere near enough staff. Some very long shifts. would recommend as a good company to work for
9 June 2020
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.Making a difference to the people we support is really important to us but also how our staff feel too, so it's good to hear your positive comments and that you felt your time with us was rewarding.
  1. Employee reviews