Caterpillar

Caterpillar Employee Reviews for Welder

Found 16 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,234 reviews

Laid off a week before Christmas

Title tells you all you need to know. This is a decent enough company went you are in a job, however they will use and abuse there temporary work force and lay you off with no notice. Ruthless!!

Horrendous.

Was a welding apprentice, no health and safety, team leaders and supervisors bullies, extremely sexist. If you dont look right or have a gap in knowledge and ask a question you'll get passed on to the next person HR have no idea how to deal with anything, managers are running around trying to sort things that shouldn't be a problem in the first place. Do yourself a favour do not bother. Paycare pensions and union are available but filling out the paperwork gets you nowhere as admin is a serious issue.

Pros

Pension

Cons

Severly unorginaised and bad morals.

good

good company to work for plenty of progression but salary does not comply with the job roll. In all good company but improvement on wages required. thanks

good workplace

The workplace itself was a great place to work I enjoyed the job itself but my condition had a huge affect on my day to day enjoyment of the job.The pay was brilliant, the staff were great and supported me and looked after me.

didnt feel like we were appreciated

they don't care much for agency workers,and your treat like an outsider very rarely got any overtime it always went to the permanent workers there was one good thing they supplied Christmas dinner for everyone who worked that day

very good workplace

i liked welding as i took a lot of pride in my work, i got along with the staff brilliantly and thought the wage was excellent, i was happy working there as i would anywhere else.

Productive and very safe

Very well taken care of, all tools, equipment and PPE provided and able to get on with work hassle free without any messing about.

a hard working enviroment

I learned a lot from working here mainly safety and quality of work and made some good friends and gained some good skills

hard work but good money

go place to work decent money really good workforce management and teamleader skills need improving but a good place to work all round

Amazing company, amazing job.

Caterpillar was probably the best company I ever worked for, doing the job I loved to do. Shifts were standard Monday to Friday with the option to work overtime on a Saturday, the working hours were slightly different than I was used to but soon got used to them. Shift hours were either 3pm-11pm or 7am-3pm depending on which rotation you were on, but still the option was there to permanently stick to one shift pattern if you choose rather than rotate every two weeks. The toughest part of the job was learning a new technique on new projects that would be passed down, but in a way that was also the fun part as it would test your welding ability and give you the chance to try something you hadn't tried before. Probably the most attractive part of the job was atmosphere and relationship you had with fellow co-workers, as it was a production line, each person knew the next regardless of what shift they were on which created a positive and friendly working environment.

Pros

Great weekly paid salary and all working equipment provided.

Cons

Job security, as it was temp agency work.

Good working conditions and management.

I worked for caterpillar for 9 months. The working conditions were excellent and the tools and plant available were great. I would have liked to stay but many of us were let go due to market conditions.

Pros

Excellent all-round

Productive workplace

Caterpillar prides itself in health and safety and job quality, the company are brilliant to work for, good rate of pay and friendly colleagues. only down side is that you have to work for randstad agency, the agency themselves are one of the best i have worked for but as working for an agency it doesnt give you very good job stability.

good place to work

overall it was a good job early start but early finish I was there two years but the work died down and a load of us got laid off.

Pros

nice cafe

Cons

37 hrs weekly

alot of work but very low skill required

not a bad place to work but no very hot place to work. well managed safe but work is repetitive and low skill required making it get a little boring as there is no challenge whatsoever. good co-workers but overall there is just no job security

Pros

very safe and well organised and managed very professional and safe

Cons

rotating shift, doesnt pay that much, too low skill required and very repetative work

Busy line production environment.

Ideal vocation for any 'standard skilled welder', looking to improve their skills in a fast paced production line environment. Time always allowed for operators to get up to speed, all operations are trained out before working alone (not thrown into deep end). Co-workers are friendly and helpful. I personally learned very little as I have a wealth of experience but the job gave me the opportunity to 'get my hand in' on welding skills I had not used for a long time (14 years). The hardest part of the job (if any) was having to work unusual shift patterns. Most enjoyable part of the job was the excellent clean working conditions. Management were keen to encourage a safe working environment and showed a keen interest in any shopfloor requests/ideas/concerns. Team leaders were genuinely keen to help the team to achieve set targets.

Pros

free tea coffee, bonus scheme, company pension (once taken on by caterpillar), occupational health on site, personal development.

Cons

shift working, repetitve work, difficulty in securing 'core worker' contracts.

Productive, fast paced environment

Typical day midnight - 8am. Dump Body line, continuous welding of the dump bodies, operation of the crane, guillotine, press etc. Often working in a small groups to complete the work and meet the targets set. Management were very supportive and the environment was a very caring one. Employees were looked after very well.

Pros

excellent salary benefits and good management

Cons

no job security through agency.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caterpillar. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7K
2.2K
1.3K

3.2Job security/advancement

Compare Caterpillar with

• Caterpillar
  • Welder
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?