Central Bedfordshire Council

Central Bedfordshire Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom52 reviews

Overworked, understaffed

No real value - a number on the books. Residents to carer ratio unsafe at times. Protocols not followed. The staff care, but don't have the resources or time to provide the level of care they'd like to. Management never really on the floor or around to ask advice.

Pros

Free uniform

Cons

Long hours, rubbish pay

Housing Officer

Fast paced, full of variety and an interesting place to work.The ability to work from home is a bonus and makes a work life balance possible. The culture is great.

Terrible, wouldn't recommend.

Management is awful and unprofessional, if you ever see them. No direction, guidance or support. Constantly changing illogically. You always feel like you might not have a job next week. Complete waste of tax payer money.

Pros

You get paid to do nothing

Cons

Long hours, horrible work environment, rubbish pay, 0 flexibility.

Civil enforcement officer

The management is poor. A lot of time they one which don’t want to do any work another one anyways think he right. The older staff are set in they ways. Needs to be more flexible. But if like have 6 months work and taking 6 months sick. You can play the system

Pros

Sick pay

Cons

Awful place to work- don’t do it

I have never been more miserable in a place of work before, the job had all the potential to be fantastic but the poor senior management who only look out for themselves and do not care about their staff turned what could be an amazing service into something shameful.I made many complaints, which appeared to fall on deaf ears. Senior management can’t act on anything as otherwise their incompetence for letting things get this bad and those poor managers being hired in the first place would be highlighted.Many senior managers are bullies and treat people so poorly.Completely unreasonable expectations of their staff and never see the good in anything people do unless it is a PR opportunity.So sad that councils still allow this sort of leadership.AVOID AVOID AVOID!

Pros

Handing in my notice

Cons

Poor pay, corrupt senior management

Job role itself is amazing

But the management is shocking and not supportive the levels of stress are high with very little support. Higher people don't rush to give help and issues with staffing is all the time

Pros

Weekend enhancement

Cons

Lack of support and stress levels

Staff members were helpful and co -operative.Good place to work.Working conditions relaxed, not too pressurised, all equipment was up to date and serviced regularly.

Not enough support or direction from seniors

An overwhelming sense of frustration at how slow and difficult it was to move projects forward. Mainly caused by bottleneck at the very senior level. Very traditional, hierarchical approach. Main interest seemed to be to avoid sticking head above parapet! Misplaced arrogance as regards capability in some seniors; meaningless meetings and sessions where decisions had already been made; a generally fearful staff; lots piled on to capable workers; reluctance to deal with staff capability issues; little notion of involving service users in any meaningful or sustained way; promotion for those whose faces fit (was well known in the organisation); lack of trust; power is important.Other colleagues nice, although some were clearly not really capable of the roles they were doing, or made minimum efforts.

Pros

Colleagues are nice

Cons

High staff turnover due to unhappiness, overwork for the capable, can't rely on seniors for support - sometimes seems they are doing the opposite.

no work/life balance and uncaring management

As a tutor, was expected to recruit learners, as well as plan, deliver and assess. Too much emphasis was made on marketing courses and not sufficient time allocated to teaching and learning. Management appear uncaring and not from teaching background. Enjoyed the actual face to face teaching element, but the hardest part of the job was finding learners to teach. Management only interested in how much money was being made in classroom. 2 days a week, I would leave my home at 7am and not return until 10pm. Management have little appreciation for family life or disability. Management not flexible, but expect staff to be.

Pros

lovely learners

Cons

poor and uncaring management with little knowledge of teaching

Not a bad place to work

generally a nice place to work. Like any other organisation it has its issues but nothing too serious. As a big organisation , it is possible to work in different departments which is a good thing.

Transport

Collecting Children from their home to be taken to school then collecting children from school to be taken home. When you are working with the children.

Pros

flexible

Cons

split shifts

every day was different interaction with parents children and the school and of cousre the motorists

the people i met on the job became an extended part of my family and helped me through some difficult changes of my life. 5 years on I am considering re applying for the same sort of work

Review

I was TUPE over to CBC and was offered a similar role. I left this role as I wanted to have a new challenge. I found working for CBC a reasonable place to work .

Pros

Work life balance

not the best

The company as a whole has policies and procedures in place that make it difficult to complete your work. Your pay does not reflect the work that is expected of you and is more than advertised. The job role/pay is also less than other local authorities

Really Good Benefits

Enjoy working for Central Bedfordshire Council, they offer good pay, good holiday entitlement, fairness, teamwork, good management, great staff, good pension scheme and I would recommend working for Central Bedforshire Council .

Not great

Unfortunately it is what you expect from working for a local authority. Morale seems quite low. Not sure how the Council is currently looking to change.

Productive and fun

Whilst working here I was welcomed and well looked after. The team always taught me what I needed to do and ensured me that I was capable of doing it.

Temporary Job

Loved working here but this was only ever a temporary job, My typical day was attending council funding meetings and taking minutes, adding data to secure systems as I was dealing with highly confidential information. Then I had to make sure any confidential information on paper was disposed of securely. I worked wit a lovely very supportive team. It was sad to see the restructuring that was about to happen after I left.

Pros

Supportive team, very interesting job

Right spirit but not put into practice.

CBC aspire to be a supportive work environment, however frequent changes in management and staffing create an unsettling environment. More focus is given on seeking an Outstanding OFSTED rating which has a detrimental impact on workers ability to manage complex work with no consideration of the impact that court work has on other general areas of social work. Caseloads are relatively low but little support is available with managers constantly fighting against excessive demands of senior management.

Pros

Learning environment

Cons

Expectations to work long hours

It job

I did my project and left. No real problems. Nice Team to work with. Usual problem of being difficult work in local government. Very nice work location.

Pros

Work life

Cons

Time to make decisions

Friendly environment, open office. Comfortable surroundings

Days busy, always different, depending on the tenants calling in or emailing. Customer service can be interesting, as long as the callers do not take out their frustrations on you. Management friendly, approachable, however they need to show consistency during progress meetings.

Pros

temp work, good hours, negotiable wage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central Bedfordshire Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement