CENTRAL ENGLAND CO-OP

CENTRAL ENGLAND CO-OP Reviews

United Kingdom17 reviews

Good for starters or people who want a more laid back job

It's good for people to get a understanding into the retail work style at a nice and easy pace without much to worry about however if you're stuck on weekends you usually can't do much to get them off

Pros

Great work team

Cons

Weekends are hard to cover

just an average job

It all depends on what area and staff. However, I have found that once you are comfortable it becomes a second home. Each day is different, sometimes it's hard and stressful, other times it is easy and relaxed. it is just like any other job. unpredictable but you make it fun no matter what the circumstances.

Pros

become a family, support by staff and team leaders (not store manager)

Cons

management, not paid well compared to other places, no chance of progression quickly

Insights into CENTRAL ENGLAND CO-OP

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Highly inconsistent if you want a decent work-life balance

This job is ideal for genuine part timers or uni students. Not so much of a workplace issue, but, my main gripe is the lack of a decent wage every month. I am not even asking for much. 8 hours a week is your basic amount as a CSA but ideally, I think it should be 16 hours a week. Even then, your store manager has no power to make it happen unless you are a veteran (5+ years). Generally speaking for retail food as a whole, your manager's managers are constantly piling new policies that make no sense every year. It feels as thick as the bible, which you'll need to pray with from time to time.

Pros

Discount, double discount on Co-op items

Cons

Inconsistent hours

productive

good place to work, fair wages, friendly staff. good opportunity for progression on to management if you stick around long enough. Can be stressful with a lot of work to take on

Easy job relaxed job

I worked in the same shop for 12 years and seen many managers come and go ,some very good ,some very bad ,i use to enjoy my job and it was ideal for what i needed ,but towards the end it was boring ,nothing to do on shifts as deliverys were late ,or we just kept getting the same stuff that was overs or promo and never went out ,yet the management staff kept asking you to work stock or odd jobs ,knowing that we hardly had any stock to go out or it had already been done a few hours before ,they was just scrambling for things to do in the end as they knew there was nothing to do ,we essentially git paid to stand around out the back and chat

Nice people. Everyone at front of house tries their hardest for little pay.

Pay needs reform. Minimum wage for mortuary work is woeful. If they want to attract more staff, they need to improve the wage structure especially for fsa work.

Keeps you busy!

A decent job where time goes fairly quickly, but in my experience I got rang a LOT being asked to come in. There were also many rows between staff behind the scenes.

Pros

Salary, holiday pay, discount

Cons

Staff culture

Great Place to work

Amazing staff, management are helpful and the pay is really good for the job. I’ve progressed quite quickly and they are always looking for others to do the same.

Ok retail job

The role of customer service assistant is a standard retail one, you will be serving on the till, unloading deliveries, stocking shelves, and maybe in the bakery if the store has one. There is some heavy lifting involved and you need to be comfortable chatting to customers.There are decent discounts and bonuses throughout the year.How much you enjoy the job will depend on how you get along with your colleagues and how well the store is managed. Progression is available if you are prepared to keep on at management about it and do a bit of brown nosing.Unfortunately a change of management at my store caused a significant change in the working atmosphere which led to me leaving.

Pros

Decent discounts and bonuses

Cons

Poor management at my store

Can be confusing understanding how they operate. Great team!

Coop can be a little confusing when you first start with all the different societies. It also confuses their own members about what cards can and cannot be used so don't feel too bad. Due to covid i didn't have a formal induction and instead did a few basic modules on a computer. I felt this left me at a disadvantage starting with the company. My team however were absolutely fantastic! A well organised, friendly and some very hard working people. They welcomed me very quickly and made me at ease. You can be yourself and have fun at work.Scheduling and hours were a little all over the place. I think this is down to the current culture of retail as a whole. By having staff on minimum 8hour contracts, im assuming to save money... there can be large gaps in the rota which they expect staff to fill at a moments notice. Companies need to understand that this can work both ways, once a colleague has worked their 8hours a week they are under no obligation to do extra. This can be detrimental to the team and leave people feeling like they have to fill the hours in fear of 'letting people down'. I also noticed weekends (busiest time for retail) is were staff was lacking most. I was on an 8hour contract but mostly working full time hours thanks to overtime. I had asked for a more substantial contract but told they only provide them to team leaders and management. That said, talking to my manager my contract was increased to 18hours. Remember If you don't ask you don't get!Pay can also be a little confusing as worked hours and overtime have different cut off dates. When you first -

Pros

Quick staff discount @ £1 fee Team

Cons

Inconsistent rotas and hours, Cut off with pay.

Varied day-to-day work

I worked in a very small co-op branch and the working environment was very pleasant. The job involved both fast and slow-paced work which was nice as it didn't get too boring, and I had good working relationships with my colleagues. i worked both on the tills and on the shop floor which also helped keep me occupied. I would reccommend the role as it offers a competative wage, especially to those under 21 as, unlike a lot of other companies they do not pay different wages for different ages. Also this was my first job and i was trained up very well and it was overall a very good experience for a first job.

Friendly

Friendly place to work. Option to do more hours if you’d like. On site free parking. Staff discount. Approchable managers. Pay is only minimum wage.

unsociable hours

treated like a number, asked at very short notice (1 hour) to work. pressure put on to work all hours. Management stand around all day talking and chatting with their favourites employees leaving the other few to do all of the work. best part of the job is the customers just about make it bearable

Not bad but not good.

The place I worked at was staffed by nice people and the regulars were great but I was promised to be "duty trained" which meant that I could progress to Assistant Manager (or Team Leader as they like to call it) and then eventually to Manager. Unfortunately they didn't get around to training me in time for when the Manager position popped up so I missed out on that and then I subsequently missed out on a Team Leader role because the new Manager decided to appoint his drinking buddy as the new Team Leader instead, even though she was there for less than half the time I was.

Pros

Generally staffed by nice people.

Cons

Nepotism.

Friendly, Happy Work place

Central England Co-op is a Friendly, Happy work place where the Customer Always came first. The company looks after their workforce well. Management were always approachable and always Thanked their colleagues for their hard work.

Pros

Discount card, Share of profit

Friendly

My experience is limited as I only worked there a short time, though everyone I met was friendly and I settled in quickly. Not a high pressure job at all, and a lot of the time it was very quiet.

Pros

Friendly, supportive and relaxed

Cons

Extra shifts were not fun, as the store was often too quiet!

shame to be leaving the team

No two days are ever the same, variety is the spice of life here. I have learnt too much to tell over my years with the company. Working my way up from the bottom to become a valued member of the management team. Building many strong relationships with customers, staff and clients.

Pros

being part of a friendly, sucessful team

Cons

left in the lerch at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CENTRAL ENGLAND CO-OP. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement
  • CENTRAL ENGLAND CO-OP
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?