Central England Co-operative

Central England Co-operative Employee Reviews

United Kingdom119 reviews

colleaguecentraldiscountstorestaffwagetreatedshift

Not the same

When I started it was a great company. Customer, colleague and member based I would have recommended it to anyone. To get from CSA to Team Leader is easy as pie but going further then that is draining. Lots of hoops and no results. Your face doesn't fit you aren't getting anywhere. And the abuse you suffer from the community sometimes is horrendous and no one gets paid enough to deal with it. Do not enjoy having to wear body cameras just to feel a little safer in a retail environment.

Fun workplace

Working in Central England Co Operative gives me great joy. The staff and managers are very welcoming and kind. Whenever you need help you can go to them and they will give you the right piece of advice.

Pros

Nice Staff, Manager

Insights into Central England Co-operative

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Busy, good staff, stressful at times.

Great place to work for a 1st job as you learn people skills and the pay is ok. After you get your foot in the door you can work on any department .

Nice place to start with

Nice place at firstBut the female staff are very backstabbing and talk about everyone the manager was lazy always on his phone they promise you to work your way up the ladder but then don’t

Awful company

Management are awful so much was wrong with the way they did things back of house makes you feel sick. I wouldn’t let them care for my dog. Nothing more I could say on them.

Pros

I can’t think of anything

Cons

Awful money. Awful management, awful practices

Hmmmmm OK If you like keeping quiet

Not a bad job if your face fits. Senior management are more concerned about you making them look good. No respect and they peer down on you from their offices. When concerns are raised constantly told its all OK. Nothing is wrong.

Dead end

Very favourable of management. No respect for your home life, usually 10pm finish and a 6am. Usually a family environment, everyone gets on besides a few. Very strict on small rules and will punish you for them, or ostracise you, sketchy in work relationships happen.

Pros

£50 dividend twice a year.

Cons

Hours, no respect, very tight knit

Productive, Caring and Balanced Workplace

From day one I was welcomed into the team with the feeling that I had been there for years. Moving from being a customer Assistant in another company to a Team Leader at CEC has been a major move but from the manager to the CSAs I have been taught the working ways of CEC.With the teams being smaller then most workplaces it means you are closer and get to know one another properly helping with communication and knowing each others working methods.

Pros

Small Teams, Communications, Support, Pay, Discount

Hated every second

Generally, I enjoyed the job role and the duties that came with it, but disliked my colleagues. They were very two-faced and opinionated - I witnessed them speak about colleagues behind their backs. Management was poor, I never saw my manager and when I did, they would always be in their office. The same goes for some of the other staff, you will be given 1,000,001 tasks to do whilst they sit there doing the simplest of tasks. Please be wary that the company doesn't care at all about your mental health, even though they have numerous displays in the staff rooms to promote it. Anything you said to anyone there would be spread within a week and everyone would know your 'private' business.The only good thing about the job is the pay, and is the only reason why I put up with the job for so long.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Colleagues, Manager

Class 2 driver

Used to be one of the best places to work for, I've started as warehouse op in 2013, left as a lorry driver. It's a shame what poor management did to that place.

Pros

Non

Cons

Old, not maintained properly trucks, pulling heavy cages, deliveries to the tightest shops in the villages

The worst management I've ever come across

Stressful and unprofessional environment and atmosphere. I learnt nothing being here apart from how to bite my tongue and be bullied. Change is not welcome and accepted here, everything is run like it was 20 years ago, because the management have been there that long. If you're not in the 'circle', you're an outcast and made to feel very uncomfortable. The hardest part of the job was being able to do your duties properly without being mithered by management stressing about a HR visit and giving you unnecessary tasks and judging everything you do. You're not allowed to have other commitments such as volunteering, a second job or studies. As the management expect you to have 24/7 availability. You are timed on your breaks, even though most of the time you don't get chance to take them as it's always understaffed, but this is blindsided and never appreciated.

Pros

Some of the colleagues

Cons

Fast paced, Bad management, Unprofessional atmosphere, Stressful, Unorganised

Very good pay and friendly colleagues.

I started working on the till on my first day which went well but suddenly on the next day I'm informed that I am going to be a baker.The baker role is a 6 hour shift from 6am-12pm, it's not too much work to handle but when I have to wake up at 4:45am every time it's very tiring.Luckily it's not every day, you get days in-between to rest.The pay is very good though and you have friendly and approachable colleagues to help out if you need anything.

Pros

Good pay per hour, good location, friendly and approachable colleagues.

Cons

No set shifts every week, early start to shift and break is too short.

Nightmare on elm street

If you like being treated badly, sent from pillar to post. Poor pay long hours working 6 days a week no thanks then this is the job for you.

Pros

going home . taking a sick day

Cons

poor pay. long hours

Good secure job

Good company to work for.Stores are clean and well organised.Very helpful with training.Mostly small stores so you get to know the regular customers and they get to know you.

Pros

Discounts and yearly share of the profits

Cons

Very difficult to get a full time job

Really relaxed, very much worth working for

I worked in one of their stores for 2 years and it was never extremely stressful, could be boring at times if there wasn't much to do but if you're like me I would always take that over an incredibly busy work environment. Yes customers would sometimes be rude and unreasonable but most people were fine. Break times are more than fair and the work is very manageable. Long shifts hardly ever felt as long as they were and working the same hours every week made a nice routine. Definitely recommend

Pros

Fixed hours, reasonable breaks, relaxed environment

Cons

Customers, tills could be a little confusing, customers

Excellent company & great team

Excellent company to work for, great career progression if that’s what you want. 10% staff discount 20% off co-op products, special membership offers. Competitive pay. Brilliant team morale within the store and beyond in the larger groups. Encouraging & supportive Management team. Training opportunities for self development as well as career progression.

Pros

Team spirit. Staff discount. Membership offers. Competitive pay rates.

Sadly the management are extremely poor

My work colleagues are all very passionate about the job but sadly I don’t think the management are.I personally cannot wait to be free of the coop I have lost all respect for certain individuals. Poor management and bullying has sadly knocked the morale out of what has been a very caring team. So if there’s other employment available I would definitely go for something else

Pros

Cons

Poor pay and poor management

Toxic place to work

Had worked for the company for 9 years happy with my hours was as flexible as possible with weekend shifts then boom our time came in and because I had no children they thought it was ok to put me on every Saturday night. I did 3 Saturday lates because I was ok with working weekends but the they put me down for another 4 Saturday lates don’t think so goodbye co op treated awful

Pros

Discount

Cons

No fair rotas

Supportive of Staff, Friendly Environment

Central England Coop is one of the best employers I’ve worked for in the last seven years. The company was always supportive of its staff and payed a fair wage, and gave a fair break times. Management structure was supportive of people wanting to progress, and would still support those who didn’t want to progress. Would definitely recommend working for the company, had great staff benefits that didn’t limit to just 10% discount, it included a yearly payout for staff.

Pros

10% Discount (double on pay weekends), friendly environment, supportive of colleagues wanting to progress, fair pay and breaks

Cons

Long shifts (7-8 hours), not so flexible on work days

Florists stay clear!

Years later no progression, overworked, underpaid, undervalued. NVQ's are no longer valued. Food store colleagues making 'florist' bouquets.

Pros

Can buy shopping after work

Cons

Undervalued

Staff are lovely a good team

Management are selfish to the needs of committed staff. No consideration to the loyalty of staff... I worked my way up being told that I would receive a full 38 hour contract. I did but they didn't. Very short staffed at all times..

Pros

Staff discounts

Cons

Hours cut without notice

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central England Co-operative. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement