Central England Co-operative logo
Central England Co-operative

Central England Co-operative Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Nice plane and people

Work with lovely people, been working over a year now. We are like a big family at work, it’s great. I enjoy helping people and working at the Co-Op is a great place to do that.

Pros

Discount on products

Cons

Unpaid lunch break

Toxic place to work

Had worked for the company for 9 years happy with my hours was as flexible as possible with weekend shifts then boom our time came in and because I had no children they thought it was ok to put me on every Saturday night. I did 3 Saturday lates because I was ok with working weekends but the they put me down for another 4 Saturday lates don’t think so goodbye co op treated awful

Pros

Discount

Cons

No fair rotas

Supportive of Staff, Friendly Environment

Central England Coop is one of the best employers I’ve worked for in the last seven years. The company was always supportive of its staff and payed a fair wage, and gave a fair break times. Management structure was supportive of people wanting to progress, and would still support those who didn’t want to progress. Would definitely recommend working for the company, had great staff benefits that didn’t limit to just 10% discount, it included a yearly payout for staff.

Pros

10% Discount (double on pay weekends), friendly environment, supportive of colleagues wanting to progress, fair pay and breaks

Cons

Long shifts (7-8 hours), not so flexible on work days

Florists stay clear!

Years later no progression, overworked, underpaid, undervalued. NVQ's are no longer valued. Food store colleagues making 'florist' bouquets.

Pros

Can buy shopping after work

Cons

Undervalued

Staff are lovely a good team

Management are selfish to the needs of committed staff. No consideration to the loyalty of staff... I worked my way up being told that I would receive a full 38 hour contract. I did but they didn't. Very short staffed at all times..

Pros

Staff discounts

Cons

Hours cut without notice

Toxic environment

Worked as a csa for a period of time, however recently The management style of a certain person in Bramcote lane terrified me, rumours of blackmail and bullying of people who work there. If you don’t agree with her method of not doing anything, you won’t last long. I am currently a uni student, working at coop was a chance to make money to survive on however, when I asked for overtime off of this female team leader I was shouted at and called ungrateful. I chose to leave out of fear of being pushed out. I’m glad I left on my own terms. Management was nice except for her. Not sure what happened to them, assumed they all left to get out of that toxic environment.

Pros

Management absent (great for getting paid to do nothing)

Cons

Intimidating Team Leader, no customer service

Lovely Colleagues - Terrible Management

Too much expect for a very low salary. Lovely colleagues but management was absent for most of the time and has no idea about what was happening with staff. Absolutely no appreciation for hard work. Ridiculous interview process which is totally subjective. I would not recommend them as an employer at all! Very negative experience although my immediate colleagues were great.

Pros

Colleague Discounts

Cons

Working Saturdays Sundays

Busy friendly environment

Loved working here, stressfree, easy job, excellent training,get to know everyone in the community, management approachable, long hours doesn't fit in with family life.

Pros

Friendly, goid training

Cons

Can get moved around from store to store

Horrible place to work

Managers dont have a clue they talk down to staff are lazy and dont support you, overworked and underpaid, back stabbing and gossip is rife within this company, i would stay well away. i worked through covid with no protection at all they just dont care, especially at Great brook street, you have been warned.

Pros

You get paid

Cons

Treated like a dirt

Loved the Job, HATE the Company

Well what can I say, if you enjoy coming into work to be talked to like dirt and belittled then you've come to the right place! I often wondered why there were always tons of jobs available for this company and now I know why! Disgraceful management who treat their staff like something on the bottom of their shoe yet people still flock around them like rats and burrow themselves as far as they can up their backsides. Unless you are related to somebody else in the business or you just happen to become one of the favourites you will not get by in this company. If you genuinely care about the families you are arranging funerals for and purely want to work in this sector because you're a kind, genuine person WATCH OUT. They will hound you for spending too much time with the families and will time you to see how long it takes for you to complete funeral arrangements WHICH IS AN IMPORTANT AND PERSONAL PROCESS. If a family is paying thousands of pounds to a company, they deserve RESPECT and if it helps them and their grieving process to talk to somebody at a funeral home they should be given that comfort and support! I was really excited when first starting this job but my dreams of working in the funeral sector have truly been tarnished by this company, thanks a bunch Co-op!

Pros

Helping families, getting paid too I guess

Cons

Bullying, Favouritism, Under appreciation

Jobs at Central England Co-operative

See more jobs

Let down by low performing head office

Store teams are great, always working hard for low pay and the above and beyond attitude by the front line colleagues is beyond superb. However constantly let down by empty promises by above. Head office is run by people who don't understand the impact of tasks on a store team. Management at store level and operations level is a mixed bag. Some great some not fit for purpose. Lots of managers are so emotionally unaware

Pros

Store teams, managers pay, Discount.

Cons

Head office, managers are poor in cases.

Great People to work with

A good company to work for, need to move at pace and many hours work required to stay ahead of the workload. Busy, Fast Paced but great people to work with aiming for the same goal.

Pros

colleague benefits include discounted food, travel and funeralcare

Cons

long hours, stressful

Fun

• Learned how to work efficiently and improvised on team skills & expectation and multitasking • Worked on the till to give customers a friendly, knowledgeable and comfortable experience • Other tasks involved stacking shelfs, supplier return and reduction of items on time

They Don't Care

Working for the society for 26years, the company has lost it's identy. Too many people at the top affect prices for the customer, standards in store (ie all stores requiring refits, not just some). Some stores desperatly need relocating due to geographical changes ie housing developments or due to the amount of asbestos in stores.I love my job, and my team, but the company really does not care. And it shows.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Pay vs work load, poor decision making, meetings and meetings, upper management, top heavy company, No identity

I enjoyed working for co op still be there but I moved to Yorkshire

Enjoyable place to work if any problems occurred you could talk to head office pay is reasonable customers were happy a lot of the time area manager was very helpful they put me through my personal license and if I hadn’t of moved to Yorkshire I would still be there

Worst store ever

Over worked, waste of space manager that sat in the office stock leaves always in the warehouse as colleges, and when u told the manager he didn’t care

Not a good employer

I wouldn't recommend Central England Co-op. Maybe it depends who your manager is but mine was a total power-freak. She was also totally miserable and I didn't think this was good around customers. When I left I wasn't paid properly. It took 4 phone calls to the store and eventually an email to head office threatening to report them to ACAS before things were rectified. Don't go there....

Relaxed workplace

Fun, friendly place to work. Management are happy to fit to your lifestyle and needs. Always had incentives going and had many opportunities for progression.

Pros

Discounts

Logistics

Still operating early/late shift patterns with max 9hr shifts a day, this is a rare find in the haulage industry these days. Good competitive wages with supplements which are very rewarding. Staff discount card up to 20% in stores as well as a warehouse staff discount shop. I find the management style very supportive and relaxed. Try them out in the Agency and you’ll soon want to join the team full time.

Good team building

Working for Central England cooperative is a good place to work in a team and helps build confidence and is a great place to learn about working with food and working with customers.

Pros

Good holiday days

Cons

Work life balance can be tough

Great employer, would recommend

One of the best employers I've worked for. Hourly pay is greater than minimum wage. Management at the store I work at deal with problems straight away, same can't be said for some stores that I've visited/ done extra hours in. I've heard from some people that they advanced quickly while others have said it's slow progressing. I have and would recommend central England coop as a place to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central England Co-operative. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement