CeX

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energising work tasks

Can be fun but not long term

I was a Supervisor and it might have just been the store I was hired in but the higher up management gave very little support. My sales assistants were great to work with and I made some friends for life within the company but they put a lot of pressure on middle management like TL's/Sup's with no chance to progress as they hire out of company for all management positions. I would say if you're looking for a relaxed environment but work that keeps you busy just go for a Sales position and you can have a good time with it, the company itself has benefits like the 2 week returns, 15% discount and annual company festival and Christmas competitions. You don't get paid for lunch breaks and they try to offer as low a contract they can but it's worth trying to negotiate as sometimes they will up it to get you on the team.

Pros

15% Discount Friendly colleagues with similar interests

Cons

Sometimes poor management Minimum wage

Not best place to work

Working for cex isn’t rewarding as most time your doing alot of stock checks, dealing with aggressive customers and filling out merchandise and buying from customers stuff that could and risk you of disciplinary if not bought in the right code! Management arnt professional and no appreciation in this job role for hard work

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Long hours No company support Not professional

Laid back but

Laid back however the customers can really wear you down, the management isn't great and the pay isnt worth it. Would be alright for someone interested in tech but the novelty wears off after a while.

Pros

Casual clothes

Cons

Bad pay

Great place to work and great people to work with.

Great place to work and great people to work with however it was minimum wage on a zero hour contract and hardly any chance of progression but did give me great experience. Really enjoyed working here would be great for someone who needed a part time job to work around college or university.

Pros

Great people to work with Great experience Can pretty much work around your schedule

Cons

Minimum wage Zero hour contract.

You ever had a death threat?

Sadly cant say much nice things about CeX. The staff are treated poorly. The only main pro about this place is that the staff are amazing which help you maintain sanity working here. Pay is shocking for what the company does on intake and deliverance. you unfortunatley meet the scummiest of the scum here (If you find that sort of stuff entertaining then i would recommend it). Thankly i only worked here part time alongside studies until i realised i could do better part time elsewhere.

Pros

Nice staff

Cons

everything other than staff

No progression, poor pay

I enjoyed working there for the first year then slowly began to realise there is no progression, the company don't actually support you and it doesnt pay the bills. A lot of people stay because it's convenient but there are better employment options out there. Would not recommend.

Pros

Convenient Flexible hours

Cons

Poor pay Company doesnt care about employees No variety

Productive and fun

It was nice and easy to work at however the pay was questionable. The work isn't stressful at all and as a first job, its a perfect eye opener to the working world.

Pros

Easy

Cons

Pay

Hire & Fire Telesales with a Shop

Working at CeX was horrific, your hours will fluctuate depending on if you suck up to the management team or not, after taking time off for a family grievance my hours went from 34 to 16 instantly with no rhyme or reason, it's not a job you can live off, the pays awful, the managements two-faced i'd constantly be told about twisted arrangements management would make for sales assistants in other stores just to mess with their livelihood, the companies ethic is to burn out sales assistants then hire new ones to replace them.No matter however much you're trained-Even if it's not your faultIt's your fault, It's never not your fault and if you dispute the fact that it's not your fault here's a disciplinary.Don't confide in anyone it'l be used against you and everyone will know about it, including anything said in a welfare meeting, nothing is confidential.

Pros

Some of the staff can be a pleasure to work with

Cons

Those staff turn tail as soon as management decides you're an "issue"

Store dependant

Just bad company to work for, no progression that worth it, depending on store it will either be fun or terrible, the employees are the only ones that make the company with working for, Plymouth store had good employees, the job is just too much stress for what it's worth, crazy amount to do and not enough staff to do it.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Too much to do at once

Fun but paid pennies

Minimum wage but you barely get any training other then reading off a website. You have a crazy amount of responsibility: Testing , sales , grading phones , buying items correctly, demoing phones but also making sure you’re taking the right steps to not get robbed, etc. one mistake in about 7 months can cost the company a crazy amount of money which is ridiculous. There should be other roles than “ sales assistant “ examples could include “ Tester “ , “ buys assistant “ etc. having multiple members of management but each one with their own specific way of approaching things then when you accidentally do it one way when another member of management is in you get told off. Make one big mistake ONCE and upper management will come down on you - not because the company cares all that much- but because you cost the upper management his bonus for this month. The guys who “ manage “ the stores get paid an INSANE amount and get an unfair bonus for coming to a store once a month, sitting out back watching YouTube then suddenly looking at your shop and giving it a grading then getting lunch for 2 hours and then leaving.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Way too much responsibility and not enough pay for that amount of work

Avoid franchises and opt for a corporate store

I spent 3 years working as a sales assistant, but took on the responsibilities of a supervisor throughout my time working for CeX, however I was never rewarded, nor promoted despite taking on challenges and responsibilities that were well above my pay grade. On multiple occasions, throughout my tenure at this particular franchised store, i was lead to believe that a promotion would be on the cards and that I would be promoted to supervisor and rewarded for my efforts, but sadly, many empty promises were made and nepotism was rife in this particular franchise, therefore those that worked hard were barely acknowledged and promotions seemed unattainable. Opt for a corporate store if you’re looking to grow within in the company, because working your way up the ladder within a franchise will be incredibly unlikely even if you show good initiative and perform well within the workplace.

Pros

Busy, fun workplace

Cons

Toxic management, nepotism, unlikely to grow within store

CeX, more like BaD

it stinks, it absolutely stinks. the job, the workers, the customers, they all stink. seriously, if you get the job here i recommend you bring deodorant and a nose plug. yuck.

Pros

eat on the shop floor, can take home games without paying for them

Cons

the smell

not great for mental health

was with the company a few years, and all i can say is that where we do learn things every day, we have also learned that the company does not give an utter crup about you on a day-to-day basis. IF by chance you have enough courage to let someone know how unhappy you are, it gets "listened" to and then forgotten an hour or so later. the hours are ridiculous and change too often, ruining any regular work-life balance we SHOULD have. get abused by customers on the regular, and then get told we just have to grin and bear out.

Pros

discount

Cons

peoples work ethic ruins the store

Good wage and hours

I got my job when I was 17 and it was great part-time work alongside studying at college. They paid above minimum wage and scheduled my shifts around my college schedule and I never worked both weekend days. Most of the time, the shop was empty and I was left with very little to do but stand around waiting for hours on end. Unfortunately, I felt very isolated from the rest of the staff. Maybe it was because I was so young but only one person properly spoke to me and that was the other person who was my age. No one else made an effort to get to know me or make me feel like a part of a family, whilst everyone else spoke to each other all shift long, laughing and making jokes with each other.

Pros

Paid above minimum wage, understanding about managing work and college

Cons

Felt isolated from the rest as they didn't make an effort to talk to me

Very poor salaries, a lot of two faced OPs

Won't get anywhere unless you suck up to the right people, Corp side is VERY cliquey. Franchise side can be rewarding IF you get a good franchisee. Bonuses are set at impossible levels for shop staff but OPS will still get theirs. They don't care about staff and deem them as expendable. Expect to work EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR with no additional thanks, pay or bonus. Bank Holidays are full days as well, no overtime. You will get blamed for everything even if it isn't your fault. Example - they will take a lot of stock out your store in transfers, leaving you short on stock, then blame you when you don't sell enough!

Pros

Discount

Cons

Attitude of OPS, poor salaries, hypocrites & back stabbers at OPS level, don't care about front line staff

Horrible atmosphere

Honestly would not recommend this as a good job even to my worst enemy it's that bad. Pay,Management and Hours are utterly rubbish. No respect for staff.

Pros

Cons

Zero hour contract, management, no respect

Awful to work for

I Wasn't given much training and too much was expected of me too soon,my hours cut for no reason.15 minute lunch for a 9 hour day is not enough!Was expected to clean the store such as the staff toilet , hoover and mop before closing & dust .. however this was not part of the job description.

Pros

Cons

Short lunch

Fun workplace

Honestly, it seemed like fun at first and then majority of people who work there are amazing people. But it becomes less and less fun as time goes on. I made a few friends whilst working there but job are for making money an living. Friendships should be am added bonus.

Pros

Company discounts

Cons

Never a break other than your alloted much break

Fun but not worth it

It’s not a bad first job or for part time because your colleagues are usually quite fun and u can have a laugh most of the time. However i worked there in 2019 summer for about 7 months and management there is quite bad. Even the way we pushed for sales wasn’t morally good in my opinion, I wouldn’t recommend ever buying anything expensive from there unless you know someone who works there. Lunch was very short (30min) for a 9 hours shift (you couldn’t normally do any less than 7 hours per shift) and after the store closes you are expected to clean the shop up and you don’t get paid for it. Overall I think it’s fun bet definitely not a professional workplace.

Pros

Fun colleagues

Cons

Unpaid labour, poor management, need to learn a lot on the job

Its different every day

The responsibilities vary depending on your perceived competence. At the start of your employment, you will mainly be focusing on processing purchases and trade ins on the tills and dealing face to face with customers and then merchandising the shelves with the new stock. If you show good intuition and an eagerness to learn you may be picked out to be trained on more intensive tasks such as handling the eccomerce orders, or organising the stock on display in the cabinets. In my store, the atmosphere between colleagues is amazing and is what makes the job worth staying in.It can sometimes be stressful when dealing with a customer conflict, however another more senior member of staff will always step in when appropriate if they see you may be struggling or getting upset. The worse part of the job is honestly some of the customers, you have to expect to be shouted at by at least one customer every so often for problems beyond your control. However like I said before, another staff member will always have your back and take over the situation if it gets hostile.

Pros

15% discount/staff return policy, a lot of transferable customer skills

Cons

Dealing with difficult customers, staff rooms lacking in facilties

Bad management, so bad!

I originally worked with an amazing franchise called GDMP and they were the loviest bunch if managers, very supportive. Never had an issue.In 2020 they unfortunately handed the store over to a new franchise and since then, the teams that were left were made MISERABLE, work life balance was out the window. Back to back open/close shifts.They micro-manage to a very uncomfortable level, never get payslips on time, we don’t have a specific day for getting paid, paid different to people in the same franchise on the same position. Move staff around without an initial chat, changing base stores for staff without permission. Upper management do not acknowledge or even answer simple questions from Sales assistants. On recruitment days, have interviewees wait up to an hour and maybe more. Worst being 4 hours.They click at you for your attention. VERY UNACCEPTABLE. They put too much work onto the employees who want to be there to the point of burnout/exhaustion.Money always comes first and they have no ounce of trust and always treat everyone suspiciously. The owners of the franchise are lovely but their management who run the stores need to be so much more respectful and on the ball with their staff. Paid far too little for the amount of stress that is placed on you. Can’t be comfortable using the staff area as the management are always there and it’s not covid safe for more than 2 people to be in there.The customers can occasionally be violent towards staff for no reason.Management will hardly back you up there. Luchtimes- unpaid 30-45mins depending15% staff discount -

Pros

People

Cons

Management, Pay, Violent Customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CeX. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6