CGL (Change, Grow, Live)

CGL (Change, Grow, Live) Employee Reviews

CGL has a great value set and this reflects in the teams within it The constant monitoring can lead to micro management , depending on the line manager in each case
Pros
Fantastic training offer, Good benefits including employee assistance, ScopE for changing roles and advancing
Cons
Competitive outlook can lead to high caseloads and pressure on case coordinators, Management sometimes dissociated from the stress of the case workers
Spent 3 years would definitely go back. Worked in Halton and Newcastle two totally different cultures one was CGL for longer the other staff had been recently tuped.
Pros
Good pay, learning environment and development opportunities.
Cons
High workloads for middle management
Working for Change Grow Live has been a wonderful experience. The work in this sector will always be tough at times and this is a hard working organisation. In exchange for my hard work and commitment, I have received excellent training and coaching opportunities, a level of autonomy to work to my strengths, good robust support from managers and central teams, and a level of compassion and values based decision making that I have not noted in similar organisations. Most importantly, I have been proud to work for an organisation that so clearly demonstrates its values in practice. Particularly during the COVID Pandemic.
Pros
Great training, open management culture, kindness, passion for the work, pride in the work.
Cons
Working in this sector can be tough and emotionally challenging
Well other areas succeed Preston by far, I've worked for several cgl companies in 4 locations and Preston by far is the worst, management fine, as long as they have nothing to do there OK, however you will often find eneough is never enough, it's a constant battle of the goal post moving to suit them, if you disagree or challenge, you are in for a life time of fault picking, scrutinisation, and your job purposely made as difficult as possible, case loads in the 100s and your expected to manage these people safely and effectively, in 7and half hours per day, your expected to completely mutli task impossibilities, they never manage to keep staff for long because of the high caseloads and expectations, so staff if cgl are lucky only last a couple of months, team leaders offer no support at all most the time there is only one as the other tends to be off sick permanently and when support is offered after you have practically begged for it, it lasts all but 5 mins and nothing is ever resolved, there is a massive divide between the actual cgl workers and the NHS staff who tuped over on NHS tnc they are the golden nuggets of the establishment, nothing ever gets said to them as cgl are to fearful of the unions there work load is massively easier than a cgl worker as they can't be upset or to stressed otherwise they will be off sick and unions are involved, they can't put a foot wrong, however if your a cgl worker you are treated second best, for case load management, the cgl workers tend to get harder case loads than the NHS workers again favoritism, and fear of unions and also element - more...
Pros
Experience
Cons
Stress, hiarachy, high caseload staff divide
If you thinking of working for this company I would think again. Management has no respect for staff and you are just a statistic. The turn over of staff is high. I have worked in drug and alcohol for 14 years and have been tuped over many contracts. CGL have been the worse company I have worked for. The company does not respect the values and opinions of staff. The salary is poor considering what they expect of you. They are not family focused or service user focused. Overworked and under paid. Management are unprofessional.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Overworked, under paid, CGL do not care about their staff or clients.
I love my job. Fantastic colleagues, supportive management who have been incredibly flexible and understanding during the past 6 months. I feel confident and empowered to make my own decisions about how to do my job. Loads of opportunities for further training and great career progressions prospects. I worked here for 18 months as an Engagement Worker and took a step up to Engagement Lead. The organisation looks after its staff, offering opportunities for wellbeing and encourages a weekly wellbeing hour and free access to mindfulness resources. A great place to work.
Pros
Colleagues, career progression, wellbeing, training & pretty much everything else.
Cons
Funding can sometimes mean services are stretched.
CGL were an amazing company to work for. The staff welcomed me and nurtured me, demonstrating their collaborative work ethics, professionalism and dedication.
Pros
All round great employer and enployees
Cons
Gloglotta work hard to help those in addiction. I wouldnt not work for them again and would say they provide good and solid training and support for staff at all times
I currently volunteer with Change Grow Live and I am so impressed with them. All the staff and service users I have spoken to have been lovely and my boss is very supportive and encouraging. Some other charities sadly treat service users and volunteers differently but not CGL. I started my training with them and hopefully can continue once things go back to normal re: Covid. I couldn't recommend them enough!
Pros
Supportive staff, friendly atmosphere, travel expenses paid for and lunch whilst on training
Cons
None that I've found so far!
The role was fast-paced and stressful at times so it was important to be flexible, able to multi-task and prioritise you workload whilst not forgetting important duties and remain calm.
If you want to work with a bunch of headless chickens who can't run a bath never mind a community service, then knock yourself out. Very poorly managed, extremely large unmanageable work load, incompetent staff, no room for progress, capped salary, no benefits or perks, place is a joke, riddled with a rat infestation.
Clients will yell at you, call you names (some offensive). Services have big staff turnover. It's not a nice, happy or relaxing environment to work in
Good training opportunities Good team of frontline workers Progression for the right candidates No two days are the same Children’s and family service in need of developing Adult services established
I first started at CGL as a volunteer and the branch I worked at worked together as a team. I then applied for a paid role at a different branch. It wasn’t the same. The Male recovery workers were passive aggressive and clearly didn’t like their jobs. Being shouted at and spoken to like dirt on a daily basic is just not on. The turn over of staff says it all. The company do pay a good salary and offer good career development. Just be careful which hub you work for. Service users can be difficult but that’s the nature of the environment. At least they apologise when their in the wrong! My line manager was good, but unfortunately he wasn’t based at my branch so didn’t get to see what I had to deal with on a daily basis.
Pros
Salary/seeing people turn their life around
Cons
Unsupportive work colleagues
busy working environment; very driven; competitive and hard work, but some of the people who work there are quite nice. Not much visibility of the people at the top of the organisation.
I spent several weeks training to be a voluntary Independent Visitor for looked after children. CGL was poorly organized and kept losing my details and personal information so that I had to resubmit and take my passport for another check in person. After waiting many weeks I was finally placed with a young person. I enjoyed the outings but found the paperwork extremely onerous. I’m not computer literate and because I did not send my expenses form exactly as was required, it was rejected and I had to do it again . This caused me a lot of stress as I didn’t know how to do it. I have an invisible disability which means I get very tired and have occasional memory lapses which made remembering secure passwords difficult. I was told adjustments could be made regarding using the computer to make it easier but this never happened. Instead, the day before a planned outing, I was told I was no longer placed with the young person . The foster parents had no idea. I believe it was because I did not follow the party line. I was very upset, but upon reading other reviews realize that this is not unusual behaviour for a very unpleasant company who treats volunteers like a lower form of life. Avoid!
Pros
CRB check ( eventually) had a nice time with the young person
Cons
They don’t like their procedures and policies being questioned
Management positions are allocated on the basis of who you know not what you know. There is a distinct "us and them" culture and people are promoted to positions beyond their capabilities. Volunteers are exploited and expected to carry out tasks beyond what should be expected of them. Very little support for volunteers. Inhouse courses and e-learning is useless and not fit for purpose. Advertised interventions are frequently cancelled or non-existent. The hardest part of the job is having to work with inept managers with little appreciation of the intricacies involved in a stressful job. Senior managers are bullies who cannot accept criticism even of a constructive nature. The best part of the job is the engagement with the client group who are not given a voice, service user involvement is paid mere "lip service"
The worst management I have ever experienced! Bullying is rife, but ignored and clients are treated dreadfully. Thankfully there are a few dedicated and experienced workers who keep it going.
I started off at CGL on a temporary 6 month contract. They were trialling a new position that they had created. The actual working environment at CGL is very busy as we have a lot of clients but the culture of the place was good. It has been one of the only places I have worked at where there are no factions or people who refuse to talk to each other. The work life/balance is also good, it is your typical 9-5 job Monday-Friday. Management are ok, it all depends on who you get on the day and what is happening, but overall they are lazy and try to avoid working as much as possible. There is also the attitude of "not my client, not my problem" amongst certain workers which I don't like. Job security is minimal. A lot of people are on contracts. After the end of my 6 months I was told by the project manager that I was being extended and that they were looking at my position being made permanent but of course I would have to apply for that even though I am already in the role?. At the end of the next 6 months I was told that my contract wasn't being renewed. This went against everything I was told before. I was then offered two options, apply for the vacant 6 month job which paid more or apply for the vacant 6 months job which paid less money. Even though I applied for the more money one, and even though I was technically already in the role, I didn't make it to the second round of interviews which I believe was a political decision and wasn't based on how I did in the interview. Towards the end of my contract, I had to work alongside the person who beat me - more...
I volunteered for Cgl Southampton . Miss management lack of experience and empathy.was a very toxic place to be sadly.previously was SSJ Wich was the best recovery focused hub
The most challenging aspect of working with CGL is the challenging and complex casework. Holding a caseload of over 60 clients is not for everyone. It is imperative to have the support of an experienced manager and I have found this to be the case throughout my time with the company.