Charterville Care

Charterville Care Employee Reviews

I left due to not being given enough travel time when requested, felt like my problems fell on deaf ears, contacted on my days off, asked by multiple people to do a overtime shift when I had already declined showing lack of communication in the office, and felt belittled when someone listened to my problems. The clients are lovely but management could be improved.
Pros
Lovely clients
11 February 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry you feel this way about your experience with Charterville Care.Our employees are very important to us and we appreciate everything our team do.Should you wish to discuss the above further please contact HR on 01993 77 55 15 so we can work to resolve any issues you experienced.
I think Charterville Care is a wonderful company. I really couldn't have asked for better support from my team throughout my time with them. The clients are lovely and it is clear they are all very happy with the care they receive. It is an extremely satisfying job, but also one that doesn't really feel like work. Meeting so many people and building relationships with them is a privilege. The pandemic has been such a difficult time for everyone, especially those in care. My management team, as well as all my fellow carers have worked so hard to ensure those most vulnerable have had the care they require. I feel so lucky to have worked as part of such a great team at Charterville and I would encourage anyone who is thinking about going into care to apply here.
Pros
You are fully trained and paid during that time
Cons
Atypical working hours but this comes with the job and really isn't as bad as you think!
1 December 2020
Thank you for your wonderful feedback and your comments of support.
/the work was varied the clients where as a rule lovely,other careers were supportive helping on the geography and introduction to clients ,including running through all there needs
Pros
Nice clients
Cons
Management was unreliable and non supportive/
23 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your experience at Charterville Care.If you would like to discuss your time with us any further please do not hesitate to contact HR on 01993 77 55 15, we would value hearing from you.
Exhausting place to work. If you intend on working here, before you go buy a second phone and don’t give them your personal number. They call you constantly to come work extra even on your days off and not just once. Even when you’ve said your busy they’ll call while you have plans. Colleagues say it happens to them too, if it was someone else calling like they do it would be classed as harassment it’s just not fair. New staff see what it’s like and don’t stay so it just doesn’t change. I bet them not to keep calling but they just get another office staff member to call instead. Looking for somewhere else after January.
16 December 2019
We are sorry you feel this way about your experience with Charterville Care.Our employees are very important to us and we appreciate everything our team do for our clients and each other.Should you wish to discuss the above further please contact HR on 01993 77 55 15 so we can work to resolve any issues you are experiencing.
Good pay, very stressful, no personal life. Always calling to cover work and long distances driving, travel times between clients not realistic. Travel almost all Oxfordshire,
16 December 2019
Charterville gives you the opportunity to grow in the company, gives you voice and respects you. There are some tough days, but the clients are worth the hard work.
16 December 2019
Thank you for your lovely feedback and for taking the time to write a review.
Staff was not looked after very well. disorganised and lack of communication. Staff under-appreciated and did not say thank you even when you did extra shifts and helped them out. Did not give enough time to read the contract before they made you sign it. Looking to leave this company asap.
16 December 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.We are sorry to hear that you have been unhappy during your time with us.If you would like to discuss your experience further, please contact HR on 01993 77 55 15.
I came to the company about a year and a half ago, never having done care before. Now I wonder why I ever worked anywhere else! The training was fantastic, very in depth and the trainer was so supportive and patient. I love our clients and I love our staff. We all help and support each other. We have such a friendly and welcoming team and it's a pleasure to be a part of it. I honestly wouldn't work anywhere else!
16 December 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and give such lovely feedback. We are so glad that you are enjoying working with us.Thank you!
Started off good but its not going well anymore. Your roster changes all the time and you rarely get told and if you miss a visit its your fault cos you haven't checked your online rota a million times a day. You dont get any payment for all the data you use. You can wake up in the morning and find you are starting somewhere completely different to where you were when you went to bed. I wake up worried in the night now in case im starting somewhere else and its turned me into a wreck. You are paid to travel to another area for your miles but not for your time so if you are put to work in another area an hour from your home you dont get paid for your time leaving house at 6am and not back till 11 but have to be up in morning again and then like me constantly worrying incase your roster changes again. No one listens its not changing. All staff seem to be miserable and looking for somewhere else but they take your wages if you leave. They deduct for training that you do but its not fair as you have to do the training so you can do the job so its only there benefit for you to do the training. Dont get stuck here like we are just avoid it. you were warned.
19 August 2019
We are sorry you feel this way? Our employees are very important to us – without them we would be unable to provide the quality care to our clients required to live within their own homes. We would also like to add that we appreciate everything our staff team do for our clients – as they are hard- working, loyal, dedicated and passionate about what they do! Should you wish to discuss this further please contact HR
I can not recommend working here.. if you live in Banbury you have to get your gloves from the Witney office. When you ask if you can claim the mileage , no-one can give you a straight answer Once management find out who are friends they deliberately stop you working together in case you “ gossip” about the company. It’s a real shame that two senior members left the team, around the same time without any explanation. The workers are always kept in the dark when things like this happen. If you work for this company they will have you from day one as they make you sign their contract to say you will pay all your training back if you leave within the year. You ask to change to a better work pattern and you are told you cannot start later than 7. However others are allowed to work school hours. The office staff are very hostile and unwelcoming. They think all the Banbury staff are problems as we stick up for ourselves and won’t be treated like rubbish. Cannot believe i stayed here for so long. Management are lovely to you if they want you to do extra but when you want something they say no with no explanation. The only positive things are the clients and co- workers.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not enough time for travel or calls
16 August 2019
Thank you for your comment. Sorry you feel this way! Charterville Care do have policies and procedures in place for any employee if they feel a need to use them.
I did not do domiciliary care for very long, however over the time i was doing the job, i met some wonderful, really interesting people, it was an amazing opportunity to be able to help others and give them the care they need. I loved the job its self and would happily go back into caring, however i was not working near home so would have an hour+ drive most mornings then on top of this a 15 hour day not including driving, we got a 3 hour break however being so far away from home this didn't allow me to do much in the break time. It was also very difficult finding people houses in areas that where unknown to me, also as most of the calls we would be on our own it left me feeling very uncomfortable.
Pros
Meet lovely people, get to give something back
Cons
Really long hours, far away from home, a lot of driving
17 July 2019
Thank you for your feedback. The contract your describing sounds like the salaried 4 days on 4 days off contract which is paid at a higher rate due to the travel requirements of this contract. The areas in which you work and the hours required are explained at interview and during training and we pay a mileage allowance for the travel as well as give 4 days off to allow an adequate rest period. We are an extremely supportive company and if a contract is not suitable for our employees we can offer alternative contracts which keep you in the area you wish to work.
Recently left charterville due to moving home. I worked for them for just over a year as well as looking after 2 small children, the hours are flexible and I did mostly evening shifts which worked well for me. The pay is the best I’ve had in my 4 years working in care. Training is fully paid for and the lady that does it works internally just for Charterville so has a lot of knowledge on the clients which really helped. All the carers I worked with were very friendly and I’ll definitely miss my clients.
Pros
Flexible hours and good pay
Charterville care are great to work for. The clients they have are so lovely it doesn’t even feel like working. I look forward to getting up to go to work everyday which I’ve not had before. My colleagues and managers are all nice too and everyone helps each other out. I needed leave which was too booked up on that day but the coordinator helped me find a colleague to swap with and I then helped that colleague out too covering a shift. I wouldn’t work anywhere else now, found my forever job.
Pros
Clients, colleagues, pay
Cons
Can be sad if someone passes but rewarding to have helped them
I've worked for Charterville for over a year now and I've enjoyed nearly every minute of it. The organisation behind them (People in Action) mean they are big enough to be serious about the important stuff - the training (which is not just before you start but continuous and on-going), and they have the resources to flexibly support you if for example specific days/times need to be taken off for any reason. The pay is good for the work, it includes both travel time and 45p per mile tax free contribution towards your car expenses and if your car is economical this will cover it. Additional medical insurance covers Optician/Dentist/even the cost of my Chiropractor making my back/neck better than they've been in years- all provided as part of your package. Just about everyone from the Manager to the Care Coordinators get out and do the work themselves so they know exactly what challenges you face with each individual client. Regular reviews are your opportunity to make your feelings known and I am working local to the office so I regularly drop in and have a chat and feel part of the bigger team. After a first career as various kinds of Sales Person from retail to Account Manager I had a complete change to the world of care work. Don't for a minute think the work is easy - yes micro-waving a meal, making a drink and having a quick chat are all straight forward enough and sometimes I feel privileged to be paid to do what I do. However, there are other aspects of the job where you know there would be more pleasant ways to earn a living. Being a carer is so much - more...
Pros
Big organisation, professional approach.
Cons
Awkward hours include earlies/lates/weekends but no longer than a normal week.
Charterville works in the Oxfordshire area and I work across most areas however I am based in Banbury mostly. Clients all seem happy now. We had a few staff before Christmas who were neggies but they’ve gone now. Always get my contracted hours which is great as I don’t have to worry about bills etc like I’ve had to in the past with other agencies. I get in very well with my colleagues and the office team who have always helped when I’ve needed it but I am the type of person who will say if I have any issues and work to get it fixed and not just stay silent and then moan when I haven’t even tried to help myself like I’m aware some people do. If you need help then ask and I am very sure you’ll get it like I always have. You do get contacted here to pick up extra if they are struggling but I’m unsure of any conpany who would rather leave vulnerable adults with no care then ask their staff to pick up extra and you always see the office staff out and about helping out too so it’s a good team effort. Clients are fantastic and if there are any problems you can let the office know and they do their best to get it sorted. All in all I am very happy here and will be here for the foreseeable future.
Pros
Contracted hours, great colleagues and management and fantastic clients
Cons
Hours can be long but it’s worth it
Have just started working at this company as an apprentice and been given an amazing opportunity to learn a new area and earn as well. The training is excellent and by the book, carers are well supported by the in house trainer and by the other experienced carers. Refresher training is provided to all carers. Lots of additional qualifications also offered to add to your CV and to help carers with confidence and support them. Great company, feel very well supported and am confident about the importance of looking after the clients and staff as it is embedded in the company ethos.
Office staff never followed through with what problems I had. Often clients would complain and nothing was ever done about it. You are made to pay for all your training which should be free since the trainer is the HR lady and gets paid as a trainer by the company. All the companies I have ever worked for they offer full training with no charge. So the high rate one gets is taken towards the training. You don't get enough breaks during a long day. Many of clients cancel calls and the carer is never told til you arrive at the client. So this was the worst company I worked for and would never work for them again. After I left 6 other carers also left.
Pros
Cons
No back up from office staff and have to pay for training
I have been working for Charterville care for 18 months now. I started as a Care assistant and worked my way up to a care supervisor. Charterville have the best pay rates out of the three domiciliary companies I have worked for in the past 6 years. I feel its very good they pay higher rate to qualified staff as it encourages them to develop in their career. They also have a good rate of pay for travel time which I know a lot of companies are still behind with and the highest rate of mileage allowance. Shift patterns are nice and flexible and they offer a range of different hourly and shift pattern contracts, I enjoy my shifts and the fact I can pick up overtime in my free time if I wish to. Management is good and deal with all problems as quickly as they can and every one of them goes out to do care calls when needed so they also know whats going on out in the community which I think is very important. They email updates out about clients when needed so you are always in the loop when out in the care field. We have an amazing team of carers out in the community, they all work their hardest to ensure clients are happy and supported in every way they need. If there are any concerns regarding a member of staff the office deal with them accordingly to ensure everyone that works here really cares about their work! :)
Pros
Flexible working, High pay rates, Qualifications offered, good training
Couldn't be happier working for Charterville. I get my contracted hours every week so I know I am going to be able to pay my bills at the end of the month and this gives me peace of mind. If for any reason they do not have the work for me I am paid my contracted hours too. I have never had any issues in the past year with my shifts if they have extra calls they will call you but I have never been scheduled for work I haven't been available for. I work 40 hours which does mean I have to do 2 long days a week but this is explained clearly when you apply so if you don't want to do that you can ask for a different pattern. My friend used to work here too and did half days so they are flexible. Annual leave can be booked up by other staff but the lady who does my rota always helps if I am desperate for a day or offers other dates if one's I want aren't free. The clients I look after are the same most days so I have got to know them well and they are just like added family members. I have been asked to do a qualification which I have agreed to and once it's done I will get a pay rise and the qualification is paid for too. I have had a lot of support form the office staff and manager they have a number you can call for support when the office isn't open so always got someone to talk to if it's needed
Pros
Very good pay and hours are contracted
Cons
I have been working at Charterville for just over a year. Started off working 40 hours but the 2 long days each week we’re making me tired so I asked to just work half days and the manager let me do this really quickly. The people I look after are all very nice and it makes me happy to be a part of their life. I have found my career for life and I am happy. I am starting my QCF qualification now which Charterville are paying for so hope to have a good career in care.
Pros
Qualifications paid for, nice people to visit and work with
Cons
Long days were tiring but I was allowed to swap my contract for a smaller one
Very happy here, just finished my training and shadowing which was a very high standard. Been out working with clients for a few weeks and enjoying it a lot. Clients are so friendly and it’s a good feeling to do this job. Early mornings can be difficult and I get a little stressed getting around in the traffic but once traffic calms down it’s all fine. Travel is paid which is nice. Looking forward to my time here.
Pros
Training is very good
Cons
Traffic
  1. Employee reviews