Chartwells Higher Education

Chartwells Higher Education Employee Reviews

Found 169 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,049 reviews

Workplace

Overall head office and amazing and cery helpful .where as my actually work place was awful. In the one teem that I was work in the school kitchen I developed tennis elbow .and felt I was .and my work load was heavily put on me compared to others in the kitchen .but if another job was arise with this company a certainly would apply

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Working over my ours and stress

Fun workplace

Poor management skills and very lack off dis oorganisation and communication however team work seems non existing. However perfect hours for parents but again not very good wages at all but term holidays are all paid for.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Poor management

Fast promotions

I have worked for this company for a few years having been tupe over from the council to this company , its hard work and they have a lack of relief staff if anyone is off, pay is rubbish for the amount of work involved, through lockdown nobody bothered with me or my staff and we were expected to carry on with no ppe or clear guidance.

Pros

School holidays off

Cons

Extremely hard work

Enjoyed working for Chartwells

Really enjoyed my time at Chartwells; management were professional; the home work life balance worked for me and I enjoyed working at the schools. The staff for the lost part were friendly and all had a good team base

Cons

Pay wasn’t so good

Awful stressful working enviroment, senior management bullys.

Management/supervisors have horrible attitude, rude and seem to thrive in belittling staff members. If your face fits your okay otherwise you mayaswell give up. No thanks for anything you do, new staff not given any decent training other than read through paperwork and then thrown into the job and if they can't do it properly they're scrutinised. Management hostile, have admitted in as many words that if anything as a team goes wrong they will accept no responsibility and blame the catering assistants.

Cons

No breaks. No support.

Overworked and under paid

Hours are cut during the quiet lockdown/covid period. Then when things get busy again hours aren’t given back. Rushing round like headless chickens. Some staff working at least 3 hours over what they are being paid for to get the job done.

Pros

Works around the kids

Cons

Overworked

Stresful

Not a good place to work even for managers. You are thrown in at the deep end with little support and expected to know the job. I have never felt so stressed at work as I did here so I left before I had a breakdown.

Pros

Cons

No support or training

Chartwells Lewisham office

Bad managments ,a lot of lies,Group Managers has no experience, bullies, no respect towards unit Manager they don't have a clue what are doing , also employ any one to work with you in the kitchen with no qualification or experience or training which make my job stressful , and many bad things .

Underpaid and stressful

A terrible company to work for they do not care about their staff. They give you a work phone and expect you to be on hand 24/7 fod minimum wage. Do not work fof them!!!!

Pros

Good holidays

Cons

Everything else

Not quite what its made out to be

Everything is profit driven. No care towards staff or standards profit must be made, regardless. Standard of food is shocking. Alot of theft and nothing gets done about it when reported mainly due to senior managers fiddling the books. No work life balance all or nothing and family do not matter, you work for them and must them 200%

Pros

Cant think of any. Just dont

Cons

Everything, too stressful and not worth it

Jobs at Chartwells Higher Education

See more jobs

Good

Enjoyable yet sometimes challenging, good interaction with a viable age group, students through to professionals. Giving fabulous customer service. Raising money for charity with organised events.

Avoid

Starting as a good company who were interested in making things better but ended up being all about money. Treat their staff as dispensable and of little worth. Poor management equals poor results. Only positive is mostly term time only jobs

Pros

Term time only work

Cons

Too many too list

Not a very good company to work for bullying rife don’t treat the staff very well

Not very good,bullying is rife aggressive management style don’t treat staff well pay and conditions poor .be prepared to be expected to work for free

Pros

Cons

Everyone

Bad leadership

They do not lead from the top, the higher management team have no morals or ethics and treat the staff badly, I would not recommend working for Chartwells in any capacity.

Stressful and underpaid

Expected to do more than what you’re contracted or have even been trained to do, leading to a lot of stress. Expected to do all training in work hours which is unrealistic. Appears to be a lot of ‘favouritism’ of employees which leaves other picking up the mess or worse jobs to do. Hours are good but pay is bad for how hard the job is for unit managers. The way the company is managed just seems ridiculous.

Pros

Hours

Cons

Stressful, not good pay, favouritism

too much work, not enough time.

A lot of work in a small amount of time, no overtime paid, not even for training needed for the job! Never finished the job in the allotted time so ended up working for nothing.

Pros

fits around kids school time

Lovley staff made some graet friends

Over worked and underpaid and under appriciated loved the kichen work and colleagues and loved tge experiance and training i gained whilst working within chartwells

Unhappy and cost cutting.

No amount of money would ever be enough to get me to go back to that company. None of my children had school dinners! Says it all!

Pros

When the shift ends

Cons

Too many to list!

I enjoyed my time working there.

Placement suited me at the time as did the hours, term time only as my son was still in school. Enjoyed being busy from the moment I got to work to when I finished. Lovely big kitchen to work in. Small team of staff.

Pros

Hours suitable for my job requirements at the time.

Cons

Very busy, meals started at 11.20.

Awful

bad management, awful pay. If your face doesn't fit they will find a way to get you sacked, they change their policies to suit them long hours and underpaid just an awful company all round need better management

Pros

Cons

everything was awful

Charterlls Lewisham are hypocrite

I can describe Chatwells Lewisham in one word ,they are liars with everything. They employ kitchen assistant without qualifications without trainings not reliable always absence they don't send staff to cover absence operations Mangers don't have the knowledge and many more.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chartwells Higher Education. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement