Chartwells

Chartwells Employee Reviews

Placement suited me at the time as did the hours, term time only as my son was still in school. Enjoyed being busy from the moment I got to work to when I finished. Lovely big kitchen to work in. Small team of staff.
Pros
Hours suitable for my job requirements at the time.
Cons
Very busy, meals started at 11.20.
A terrible company to work for they do not care about their staff. They give you a work phone and expect you to be on hand 24/7 fod minimum wage. Do not work fof them!!!!
Pros
Good holidays
Cons
Everything else
Everything is profit driven. No care towards staff or standards profit must be made, regardless. Standard of food is shocking. Alot of theft and nothing gets done about it when reported mainly due to senior managers fiddling the books. No work life balance all or nothing and family do not matter, you work for them and must them 200%
Pros
Cant think of any. Just dont
Cons
Everything, too stressful and not worth it
Starting as a good company who were interested in making things better but ended up being all about money. Treat their staff as dispensable and of little worth. Poor management equals poor results. Only positive is mostly term time only jobs
Pros
Term time only work
Cons
Too many too list
Not very good,bullying is rife aggressive management style don’t treat staff well pay and conditions poor .be prepared to be expected to work for free
Pros
Cons
Everyone
They do not lead from the top, the higher management team have no morals or ethics and treat the staff badly, I would not recommend working for Chartwells in any capacity.
Expected to do more than what you’re contracted or have even been trained to do, leading to a lot of stress. Expected to do all training in work hours which is unrealistic. Appears to be a lot of ‘favouritism’ of employees which leaves other picking up the mess or worse jobs to do. Hours are good but pay is bad for how hard the job is for unit managers. The way the company is managed just seems ridiculous.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Stressful, not good pay, favouritism
A lot of work in a small amount of time, no overtime paid, not even for training needed for the job! Never finished the job in the allotted time so ended up working for nothing.
Pros
fits around kids school time
Over worked and underpaid and under appriciated loved the kichen work and colleagues and loved tge experiance and training i gained whilst working within chartwells
No amount of money would ever be enough to get me to go back to that company. None of my children had school dinners! Says it all!
Pros
When the shift ends
Cons
Too many to list!
bad management, awful pay. If your face doesn't fit they will find a way to get you sacked, they change their policies to suit them long hours and underpaid just an awful company all round need better management
Pros
Cons
everything was awful
Lovely friendly work setting! Kind hearted always wanted to help to make sure you knew exactly what needed to be done! They had a laugh with you and wanted you to do well and achieve in everything that you done!
I enjoyed working as a cleaner in school. Unfortunately it comes to an end on 10.04.2020. I would be a cleaner in another place if I can find another suitable place.
i was only there for two and a half hours and i cleaned everything from classrooms to toilets i'm a dead good timekeeper and i learned a lot there. management was OK.
Would not recommend to my worst enemy they treat there staff terribly leave most kitchens under staffed and don’t seem to be bothered you have a lot of responsibility for no thanks minimal wage
A typical day at work for me is serving customers and helping clean around the kitchen. I've learnt how to handle the money properly. Management is very quick to show you what jobs need to be done and how they are done. The hardest part about working at Chartwells is the days can be long because there is a lot to do. The most enjoyable part of working at Chartwells is the people you work with it is a very friendly atmosphere.
It's a nice company. Staff are friendly and supportive, I don't feel afraid to ask questions when I need help and the training provided is good. It's a lot of physical work, with work load varying day to day depending on the state rooms are left in. It can be exhausting.
This company are Absolutely shockingly bad, absolutely no Management training given, I was left to muggle through and I now suffer from anxiety and depression.
I worked for this company for 2 years. I loved my job but the line managers were terrible! I had 3 in the 2 years there and not one of them offered any support, promised me changes of contract and pay and did nothing but lie to me. Questioned my overtime all the time even though I’d worked over my hours and never claimed for most of it! £2.00 for a child’s school meal and they expect to make it for 73p all
I loved developing a great relationship with all my colleagues. I enjoyed my job immensely The top tier of management are not really in touch with the reality of the day to day problems within the working kitchens but direct line management in my section were great and did try to support the staff.
My line managers were amazing but the company does not know its hole from its elbow... I constantly asked for trousers.. (used my own) Didnt matter what I wrote in the book.. None of my requests were listened too.
  1. Employee reviews