Checkatrade

Checkatrade Employee Reviews

Checkatrade really look after and listen to their staff. I have found them very supportive. There is a great workplace culture.I can work flexibly around my childcare commitments.The benefits are good and the managers do care about employees.I do find my job tough at times as it has changed a lot over the past few months and it has been tricky to feel productive and have clarity in my work and role. I have struggled a bit with it recently.However, I am hoping they will continue to support me in my next steps within Checkatrade, whether that is in my current role or a move to another role in order to succeed and progress.
Pros
Supportive, Great culture, Flexible
23 November 2020
Thank you for your review and we're glad to see that we look after you well and offer the flexibility you need. We're sorry to see that you've been struggling - please make sure you speak to your Line Manager and discuss your concerns, and also use the support available to you through our Mental Health First Aiders, Employee Assistance Programme and Wellbeing Centre.
It looks very good. I haven't done much jobs from them bu so far so good. I will recommend this company to my friends and relatives. I hope this experience will help me for my future.
I have worked at Checkatrade for over 4 years and really enjoy my job. The company has gone through a lot of changes and growth in this time but they always had their staff in mind and have tried to make the transitions as easy as possible. The managers are amazing support and if you are keen to progress will help to support you and give you the tools you need to succeed. Checkatrade is really good at giving their staff progression opportunities they may not be able to get in other companies, because of this I have been able to progress from a Membership Advisor to the Software Testing Team.Checkatrade has also had a great response to COVID and has adapted really well to teams working from home and having all the equipment needed to work at our best.
Pros
Progression, lovely staff, modern office, benefits
Cons
I started at Checkatrade during COVID-19 after leaving a job that left me with no confidence that a company cares about it's employees. The support that is given by the management team is amazing, but there's so much support from the team as well. I thought I'd feel really isolated working from home, but the team vibe is still so apparent. This is, genuinely, the happiest I've been in a job. I feel so supported, and know that if I need help with anything (work or personal), all I need to do is ask and someone will get in touch ASAP.I would fully recommend working for Checkatrade, if you're prepared to put in the effort.
Pros
Hour lunch break
I started at Checkatrade 18 months ago and I can't believe how much the company has helped develop me, not only as a sales advisor but as a person as well! They are fully invested in their employees welfare which is demonstrated in the company training and having staff as Mental Health First Aiders to help fellow colleagues when they are struggling to cope or just need a chat. I have had extensive training throughout my time at Checkatrade to support my development. Management are approachable and are trusting in their staff to perform at the level required. The great thing about being at a growing company is that there are lots of opportunities to progress internally!Although I love speaking with traders - the best thing about the job is the team! We all pull in the same direction and have common goals which makes it so much easier.Overall, I would recommend Checkatrade to anyone!
Pros
Vibrant, Modern office space. Free tea, coffee. Free breakfast (pre-covid). Lots of training throughout. Ability to progress.
It has been an incredible year with Checkatrade in which I have had first hand experience in how a technologically advanced market leader manoeuvres to provide the best possible experience for its employees and consumers. The collaborative culture is wonderful and I was welcomed into the family with warm hands upon joining, I am happy to say I have met friends for life here. The pay is fair, not forgetting the perks and the work life balance is flexible, which was a benefit for me as it allowed me to partake extra studies The most difficult aspect for me was the morning rush hour, however Checkatrade has fully adapted to remote working therefore that is no longer an issue. All in all, my experience so far has been packed with useful knowledge and experience alongside a team of wonderful companions willing to assist and teach.
Pros
Friendly colleagues and supervisors, where circumstances allowed, we organised social events which were lovely.
Cons
Content at the moment
Checkatrade is a very fast passed company with a lot of passionate people that go in each day to do the best job they can, creating a great culture in the office. Even working from home Checkatrade has done its best to keep everyone involved and to keep up the team moral. They do virtual charity events which keeps people in touch and motivated across what has been a very uncertain year. I have worked here a year but I have felt more trusted and heard by management than I have ever before. Encouraging me to do the best I can do for my team and company and helping me improve my skill sets more each day. I would highly recommend Checkatrade as they really do care and look after their staff.
Pros
Progression, events, Benefits, the people.
Cons
Some teams can work in silos, making some difficulty with collaborating in certain areas, however this is being worked on by the business.
I am not sure why there are negative comments about this company. I personally have been here for around 19 months and can honestly say this is one of the best places I have worked. I was here during their change from Chichester to Portsmouth and from what I heard, they dealt with this amazingly and helped with travel as much as they could. Great benefits, including discounts at shops etc. They have an amazing mental health team who go through training and everyone who is a mental health first aider wanted to do this role. Their action with COVID was amazing, we all got to keep our job and were able to work from home very quickly and easily. I personally don't see an issue with management and feel they try very hard to continue providing a great place to work, unfortunately you can't please everyone. All in all, I would definitely recommend this company to others and have done so.
Pros
Great office, benefits and people
23 November 2020
Thank you for your review - it's great to see you mention our Mental Health First Aiders, as we now have 29 available to support our staff when they need it most. As you say, we haven't furloughed or made anyone redundant as a result of COVID-19, nor do we intend to. We're so happy that you'd recommend us to others and have already done so too. Thank you.
I'm relatively new to Checkatrade, but having interviewed and worked remotely since I started, I have been very happy. My typical working day is so varied. No day is the same managing a small team. I have learned a great deal so far, with much more learning and different experiences to come. Everyone is really pleasant and I feel secure in my role. The achievements so far from the content team have been incredible, and I'm extremely proud to be a part of that success.
Pros
Trusting company, flexible business, great progression opportunities, huge success in my role and department
Cons
Can't make use of the free breakfast (due to Covid!)
23 November 2020
Thank you for taking the time to review us - it's lovely to see that you've settled in well, despite the challenges of Covid and working remotely. Fingers crossed you'll be able to access the free breakfast soon!
I have been working for Checkatrade for 4 months now and I am so happy to be on their journey. They are supportive, develop you straight away and really look after their people and value you. Their benefits package is amazing and the opportunities if you work hard are endless.I have worked in many contact centres in my time and I can honestly say Checkatrade really strive to put their customers and their people first. Yes it is busy, yes there is a lot of change, but it is to continue their growth and keep their people secure in work.It is a challenge in the current climate to not only support the customers that need us, but to also keep engagement up, but Checkatrade really do work hard at this. We have some great people working for us and I truly love coming to work, whether at home or in the office.
Pros
Benefits, Office, Support, Training, Progression, The people
23 November 2020
Thank you for your review - we're so pleased that you believe we are a great place to work!
The Checkatrade engineering department is at the beginning of a new era. There are lots of new interesting initiatives being discussed as well as improving the tech in general in terms of performance and stability. I feel the next 3-5 years in the engineering department will be very interesting and lead to lots of new learnings and discoveries.Having joined during lockdown, all I can say about the culture is that everyone is trying their best. But I look forward to meeting people in real life in the London and Portsmouth offices.
Pros
35 hour weeks, Birthdays off, lots of learning
Cons
Some legacy tech, but that's changing
23 November 2020
Thank you for your review - and we're so pleased that you joined us during lockdown - we can't wait to meet you in real life too! As you say, the engineering department is on a big change journey, as is the whole of Checkatrade, so it's definitely an exciting time to join us and be part of that change. The legacy tech is changing too - which is great news for you and the business.
Great company to work for!Regularly praised if you put in the effort and hit stats ect. Nice office, free parking, friendly people. Monday - Friday depending on the department.
Pros
Free breakfast, guaranteed lunch break, allocated appointment time
Cons
Can be stressful at times
23 November 2020
Thank you for your review - and we're glad to see that you have a positive experience working with us. Please ensure that you access the wide range of support we have available to help with any stress - including discussing your concerns with your Line Manager, using our Employee Assistance Programme, talking to our Mental Health First Aiders, or using our Wellbeing Centre online.
There are no two days the same at Checkatrade and so there really are no typical days here! The to do list is long, but that is because the opportunities are endless! Working in the People Team our focus is on trying to make the workplace better for everyone and so our work is fast paced and while it covers all areas of the same old HR you meet elsewhere, we are always trying to change and improve every step, to make it an even better place for our people.... Change is a part of every day and every role here so you do have to be willing to keep up with the comms and stay on top of all the developments, but if you want to join a company with great people and great opportunities then this is a place for you.
Pros
Great people, Fun working environment, Brilliant team, Brilliant benefits.
When I first joined Checkatrade it was a great place to work they really cared about the staff and would do amazing things to keep people engaged. This was until we moved to the Portsmouth office which is great and everything has changed. Manager don’t care about staff all about targets, they send emails around about mental health but couldn’t care a less. Haven’t taken covid seriously. Awful attitude to staff , their ethos when anything is challenged is “ you should be lucky you have a job” they treat you like you are just a number and clearly don’t care about retaining their staff. It has turned into a money grabbing company that doesn’t care about their staff or traders only making money and destroying the idea of a work life balance. I realise businesses have targets to meet to be successful but treating the staff like they are puppets is not the way to go. When. I first joined they were interested in playing to your strengths and wouod set you tasks of what you were individually good at . That has gone they want everyone to be the same. No progression. Too many changes all the time week in week out. Such a shame it has gone this way but I had to leave.
Pros
Free coffee nice office
Cons
Bad management, soulless, doesn't care about wellbeing
20 November 2020
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We'd like to reassure you on a few of your points. We have a huge programme around employee engagement which is driven by our Engagement Warriors and People Champions, and covers everything from Corporate Social Responsibility, to Culture and Diversity and Inclusion. Managers do care about their staff and do everything they can to support them. We have taken the global pandemic extremely seriously - ensuring that everyone was able to work from home within three days, and ensuring that our offices are covid-secure, going above and beyond the latest government guidelines. We care about recruiting and retaining the right people at Checkatrade and work life balance is very important to us. There are plenty of progression opportunities too - we have a number of live internal vacancies, secondments and other opportunities, and as we continue to grow, we continue to invest in our people as we embark on a huge change transformation journey. We wish you all the best in your new role.
I’ve read these reviews and I wasn’t going to add one myself but I have decided to do so as I would hate anybody to be as disappointed with this company as I was. The office as others have also said is the best thing about the place bright modern with lovely places to walk to in lunch breaks. That’s it the only positive thing I can say. Changes week after week, no communication and very weak management, too many meetings and not enough support from them, no escalation if required whilst on a difficult call. Stress levels very high continuously, and the mental health support offered is really poor. I think it’s just lip service as it ticks a box. The feeling of uncertainty amongst the staff and the ever changing expectations of these staff members leads to a bad atmosphere and the obvious favouritism of some faces over others leads to a sense of why should I bother. I had very high hopes for this company I was promised lots at interview but the friendly family type of image that was sold to myself could not be further from the truth. The arguments and frustrations vented by traders over the telephone are not for the faint hearted and I feel the expectations of this company are unrealistic given the circumstances, I would not recommend this company to anybody even if I disliked them.
Pros
Gym membership
Cons
You can’t even go there at the moment as the gym is shut
20 November 2020
Thank you for your review. As we continue to grow, we are going through a lot of change transformation, but it's important that we bring our people on that change journey with us, and we support them every step of the way. Communication is key to our success - which is why we have a wide range of internal communication methods and channels which we use to ensure that our staff receive timely and informative updates as they need them. We also offer a wide range of mental health support services - including 29 trained mental health first aiders, and various other online and offline support. We hope you are now working within a role which you enjoy and wish you all the best for the future.
Honestly the worst company I have worked for. Will pretend you are doing great and behind your back are slagging you off behind your back. Looking for a reason to get you out no matter even if they have done something wrong. I wouldn’t even go for the interview, management do not know how to manage staff and your mental health will take a massive turn. 7 people left in the space of 5 month including me due to the fact they do not support you and will hide stuff from you instead of telling you. HR will always defend management even when they have done data protection breaches yet would get rid of you if you don’t to GDPR. The fact that they prevent at the interview that they care about people is a lie. For your mental health do not work here it will destroy you.
Pros
Cons
Everything.
20 November 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We're extremely sorry to read that you feel you've had such a negative experience working with us. We're proud to offer our staff open and honest feedback, and the opportunity to have two-way conversations with all colleagues at all times. We take GDPR incredibly seriously at Checkatrade - and any data breaches will be investigated in full by our Data Protection Team. We do care about our people - People Matter is our number one value and we standby this. Mental health is also a huge focus area for us - we now have 29 Mental Health First Aiders who support our staff, as well as a wide range of internal and external mental health support platforms. We hope you have found a role that you now enjoy.
Good old checkatrade give you the big jazz hands at your interview. But after a while you realise that everyone is so fake, they will change overnight towards their staff, pay them minimal for what we had to put up with. Constantly being abused from traders and when you would escalate it to a manager they would fob off the work back onto you. Also they preach mental health but when it comes to it they couldn’t care less
Pros
Nice offices
Cons
Bad pay, fake people, lack of support
12 August 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We're sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your experience with us. People Matter most at Checkatrade. We can confirm that our pay is benchmarked and that our Managers are supportive when issues are escalated to them, to help our staff find suitable solutions. We take Mental Health very seriously at Checkatrade. We have 16 trained staff who are Mental Health First Aiders, we have a mental health hub and we have an Employee Assistance Programme and Babylon Health service for people to access whenever they need it. We wish you well in the next step of your career.
State of the art call centre is fab to work in. Work in teams/Depts. Lots of stress and overworked (always in meetings)managers. Always looking to care for their staff.
Pros
fun call centre
Cons
managers always in meetings
2 July 2020
Thanks for your review - we're glad you liked our state-of-the-art offices at Lakeside in Portsmouth, and as one of our values is People Matter, we're glad to see that you say we are always looking to care for our staff. We're sorry to hear that you found it stressful as your wellbeing and workplace safety is our absolute priority. We wish you all the best in the next step of your career.
Very clicky false and pretend they like you but show true colours when giving you the heave ho. No empathy and nasty . Will zap all your confidence and change overnight
12 August 2020
Thanks for leaving us a review. We're sorry to hear that you don't think we are a good place to work. Our recent employee engagement survey had our best response rate ever, and the vast majority of our staff feel happy and supported within their roles. We wish you all the best in your next role.
Checkatrade is a great place to work if you are looking to up your game and start a career. Lots of benefits once you've passed your probation. Management and staff stay with the business and very passionate about their staff's wellbeing.
12 August 2020
Thank you for leaving us a review. We're glad that you love our unique benefits as much as we do - there's so much for staff to use and get involved with. It's great to see that you understand how passionate we are about wellbeing too - it's one of the most important things to us and is reflected in one of our core values - People Matter. We hope you are enjoying your new role and wish you all the best for the future.
I joined Checkatrade 3.5 years ago after working 19 years for my previous employer, and it was the best move I made. It's a privilege to work for a company where 'people matter' isn't just a statement, but a reality. We have a fantastic benefits package, which is continuously evolving. The business is growing at a fast pace, which means only one thing for employees here - opportunity to develop and grow ourselves. This is encouraged through internal training and development. Success is celebrated every quarter at whole-of-company meetings. We are soon to all be located in our 'out-of-this-world' office space at Lakeside which will ensure even more collaboration across departments. It's a fun and exciting place to be - and it's only going to get better.
12 August 2020
Thank you so much for leaving us such a lovely review. You're absolutely right - our fast pace offers an incredible opportunity for people to grow and develop with us. Recognition is really important at Checkatrade, which is why we recognise and reward employees every quarter at our Company Briefings, and all throughout the year too. It's great to see that you love our office as much as we do!
  1. Employee reviews