Chester Zoo

Chester Zoo Employee Reviews

Nice place to be but not to work

4 hour shifts 5 days a week when I was fully available from when I started there and let go from seasonal contract with 48 hours notice despite being made out i was being kept on over winter. Great job if you are student or looking for part time but awful if you want full time hours.The job itself was cleaning toilets and changing bins mostly which isnt glamorous but you do get to see lots of animals. Most of management was very friendly and the people you work with are also very nice.However the zoo had such a high turn over of staff that you are pretty much disposable. And because they hire at different points throughout the year you start with too few staff and when it picks up and you think you see going to get more hours there is then far too many staff to give people fair hours .If you are looking for something permanent or something with career progression then I wouldn't recommend working here at all.

Pros

Get to see lots of animals and co workers are friendly, good staff canteen with nice meals

Cons

Not enough hours, no career progression, working outside in all weather

A fun place to work

A fun place to work, where you feel like you are working with good friends and family. A place were you need to be confident enough to work by yourself at times but comfortable working in a group

Pros

Staff Discount Pass

False promises

seasonals get treated like scum. I worked there for over a year and they terminated me and all seasonals with no pay amid the covid-19 outbreak. They kept all full time and management employed with full pay. Seasonal s are paid less and have to work harder than the full time staff. It's a disgrace of a company if your a person. Great for the animals tho

Pros

Free tickets

Cons

Lies and false promises. And management are terrible

Good hours and pay

Varied work, very busy. Nice people to work with, work with different people everyday and meet many customers. Good benefits, friendly staff and exciting.

Bad but worth it for the animals.

The Staff were bullies and the bosses didn't care. They lied about my job, I went in for bar tending and ended up washing tables. They also fired me for them making me do things that hurt me back. But aside from that you can see the various animals and have your lunch with otters and tigers and the like. So if you can deal with the people you work with then it is worth taking it because of the free entry to the zoo and lunch with your choice of animal.

Fab place to work

Would definitely recommend a job at chester zoo, they were extremely supportive of my mental illness. Training was really good too. They issue a whole uniform except for trousers and shoes

fun and memorable workplace

working at chester zoo was a wonderful experience, I had the opportunity to get to know lots of people, gain a lot of knowledge/experience about my sector as well as gain more knowledge about various animals and threats against them

Amazing place to work

Chester zoo is a great place to work. Very social very flexible and great pay for all ages! I thoroughly enjoyed working here and can’t wait to go back next year. I would highly recommend working with Chester zoo to gain high quality skills and make life long friends.

great working environment

Brilliant place to work but the hours were very low and you would always be cancelled with only an hour notice. The management was absolutely awful they were very unprofessional, unorganised and unfair. I loved working with the public and seeing all the animals. It was just such a shame about the management.

Great if you’re 16 and need some extra cash

Management are awful!! Supervisors not too bad and coordinators are a mixture. Contracts are very short, you get sent home if it’s quiet and shifts are only 4 hours long as it is. Contract hours for seasonal staff is only 8 hours, which is fine if you’re 16/17 and have no outgoings or responsibilities. Permanent staff are also very patronising. Staff have their favourites. You are just a glorified cleaner depends which zone you work on. Zone 1 would probably be the best as they sell tickets and so it’s not only cleaning.

Amazing Place to Work

Was so much fun to work at Chester Zoo such a shame it had to come to an end, hopefully I will get the chance to go back! Great pay and lovely people :)

Developed Skills

I enjoyed working at the zoo, it help me build good communication skills and to work in a fast paced environment. I also learnt to work well in a team and also on my own taking my own initiative

catering assisant

Working for catering department was a bit of a culture shock, it was a bit of a let down with the clinky staff, and the gossiping that went on, they where always talking about someone. How I had a brilliant catering co ordinater. which made life bearable. The money is far but, long hours, and rota can be change within minutes.

Great Job - But Not a Promised Long Term One

Applied for the seasonal guest experience role. It is quite a long process to get to the actual employment. First there is an interview (which could follow after a group or individual activity) then there is another meeting in which paperwork is filled out, then the third induction is an all day activity in which all of the hired season staff attend to receive customer service training. This was all very nerve wracking but I’m glad I attended as it does boost confidence. It’s just a shame they make a lot of the staff go through all of this if they don’t intend to keep them on for a long time, I’ve had full time permanent jobs that didn’t require this much hassle. Starting with the pros; it’s Chester Zoo. The work environment is absolutely amazing, you have free access to the zoo, a free pass for friends/family every month you work for them, amazing job for improving confidence & communication. Can make amazing work relationships. Very flexible with shifts/availability. Staff parking to save time & a free X8 bus pass for any non drivers. The downside to the job is your place is not promised for the long run. Unfortunately no matter how much you love the job or how well you work, you could be asked not to stay or even come back for another season, even though management promise an automatic request for you to return. I was told I would be invited back for another season even if I didn’t get kept on for the winter, I was offered nothing. I even emailed my former manager about returning, even being able to work full time/more hours & was told HR would be in touch. I heard nothing. -

Pros

Amazing Culture & Environment. Great Perks. Friendly Staff.

Cons

Not a definite long term position. Not allowed to wear piercings despite there being no safety issue, just an image issue. No discounts. Staff aren’t always understanding (act overly superior)

Brilliant place to work

Loved my season at Chester zoo, would recommend for anyone to work there. Lovely staff, some management a bit rude and had favourites but still a good work environment, only downside was long shifts, with a short break early on in the day

Pros

Benefits and salary

Cons

Long days

Enjoyable workplace

Working at Chester Zoo was fun, enjoyable, and hard work. You have to attend to thousands of guests every year, so be prepared to give your best effort. I learned people skills that I will use for the rest of my life. The hardest part about the job was the winter weather! I loved working at the zoo!

Pros

Free tickets

Cons

No shift end time

Made to work a 12 hour shift at 16 year old which is illegal

Chester zoo paid well, but they preassure young people to work exceedingly long hours with small amount of breaks. The people there were really fun to work with but the managers were rude.

To many gossips

Don't bother. They like to get rid of people without justification. To big for there boots and don't care about British wildlife as they like to destroy there habitat on a daily basis

Pros

The animals

Cons

The staff

Useless management

The management are useless, they can’t organise themselves let alone the staff. They have no considernaton to work life balance, they willl just change a shift without notice and don’t accept that the staff might have commitments or just unable to stay, or in some cases my be unaware of the change as it would have been made on days off or after staff have gone home. There is no chance of growth and this goes for many of the departments.

Cons

Good

friendly environment and good work ethnic. staff welcome you with open arms and its easy to get on with everyone even if you are in a small or large group

Pros

friendly environment

Cons

zero hour

Terrible management (catering)

Unfortunately the management in the zoo has turned into money hungry power happy bully’s I worked there for 10 years and used to love my job up until new management came in now everything is about making money the food has gone disgusting as nothing is fresh anymore all bought in frozen and tinned and half the time it’s been relabelled I wouldn’t eat there now also free lunch’s was taken away and we are told we are not aloud to take tips and if someone does it has to go in the till.

Pros

Animals

Cons

Corrupt management and HR

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chester Zoo. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement