Choice Care Group

Choice Care Group Employee Reviews

Featured review
Choice Care Group selected this as a representative review
I can only say I do love my job It’s so rewarding with our wonderful service users Training is very good along with the induction where you do a lot of training plus shadowing on shift It’s a very caring company.
Pros
Being with our service users and having fun
Official response from Choice Care Group
17 May 2019
Thanks for the lovely feedback. It’s always nice to hear the positive experiences of those working for us and we really appreciate you taking the time to do this.
Terrible place to work. Management aren’t interested in you or the people that live in the home, all they care about is ticking boxes. Managers are constantly changing. Poor rate of pay for some of the things that are expected of you. Staff aren’t valued, spoken to (or even not spoke to at all) like rubbish. Worryingly unsafe for the people that they are supposed to be ‘supporting’. Staff are expected to work long hours then go in at short notice after hardly any rest. Management only like you if you are uninterested in the people who live there like they are, otherwise you are get accused of stupid things for them to get rid of you. They bully the people that live in the home and the staff that care about them. The place needs shutting down and allowing the residents to be supported in a home where they are valued
Pros
The service users
Cons
Very supportive team, great way to start a career, all staff are lovely. I would highly recommend this company. Everyone is genuine, helpful and friendly in this company.
Pros
Staff, career, pay
I’ve been working throughout all of this Covid rubbish and what have we had to thank us? £20 extra at christmas?? i’d rather have a pay rise so i’m not earning so little i can barely afford to live! Work has such a Toxic environment, nasty coworkers, LOTS of nepotism which is obvious to everyone. This place is ruining people’s mental health’s
Pros
service users are great, free tea and coffee (if there’s any left)
Cons
management, toxic, horrendous pay, barely any shift flexibility, boss hires incompetent staff, no free food
Worst place to work, toxic environment. Huge staff turnover. Homes manager is horrible to service users aswell with a few members of staff. One rule for some staff another rule for others. I would not work here unless you would like to feel incredibly awkward and picked on for the first week.
Choice care in Blackburn great company to work the manager is very understanding and always there to help if it’s ever needed I work all different shifts at moment I do night shifts I am flexible so can work any days
Management do not care about service users or other staff they are more worried about making sure the books are correct! Management treat other staff with no respect and threaten to fire you if you cannot do what they want you to do even if signed off by doctors.
I really enjoyed my time with choice care. The team were such lovely people. Ongoing training and support when required. However more support needed to be given with the care certificate as the new deputy manager thought giving you someone else's to copy was a great way of learning. Pay is shocking for the hours you work and what you have to deal with
Pros
Lovely team
Cons
Pay, deputy manager
Service users are great to work with and it is a fairly good environment as in their shared homes, so they have company. They go out for lunch and day services.However if after a short while your face doesn't fit, you are let go. It seems that if you are outspoken it is not the done thing. There are a LOT of yes people who work for the company. For example managers seem to think that yes they have choice, but if a service user decides to touch something hot and get burnt that's fine, but if staff try and stop them to do their job and protect them, it's not allowed, trying to do your job is something that management don't seem to want you do or they tell you, you are doing it wrong, well sorry but I was doing my job well and you did employ me, but then what I was doing was wrong.Would I recommend them, no.Would I recommend someone's relative going there, prob not.Also managers seem to think it ok to sneak in, instead of knocking on the front door.
Pros
Services users, some staff.
Cons
Managers.
Management are disrespectful to staff , Needs loads more training as most of them don’t know how to do there job to a decent standard . They can be dishonest and refuse to take blame for issues they have caused. They don’t look in to anything you ask them to ( this is from managers to directors) even if it is in black and white in front of them. I would never recommend working for this company, choose another care company. They are happy ruin life’s to cover there own selves when they make a mistake. Good luck if you really want this job and watch your back. There are always plenty of jobs.
Pros
They never forget to pay you
Cons
Plenty of unnecessary stress
Bullying staff and nothing done about it. Apprentices are not experienced enough but still expected to do to carry out duties that experienced carers do.
Cons
Long hours and pay is rubbish
Really long hours, manager changes your shifts without telling you. The people can be nice but are very two faced. Youd need a backbone to work with them.
Pros
Salary is good
Cons
Long hours, management
Very friendly bunch. Management are great. Really supportive. They will support you with progressing within the house/company. Will try there best to help fit your needs of family life
Cons
Long shifts, unsociable hours
Share should I start?It was good at the beginning, till the moment I started to accept extra shifts. They were always expecting me to say yes. They overload the staff with long hours, and don't even ask if they are ok with that. The salary is bad. You have to do a lot of extra hours if you want to get enough money for your daily living. Sometimes, they ran out of food and give to service users frozen foods cause they're easy to make I guess. This is a good place to start, but leave as soon as you can.
Pros
Service users
Cons
Salary
Working here is really rewarding. The little progress victories we make with the service users over time really make it worth it. The home is well run by the managers, which is a challenge considering the constant restrictions put on them by head office- my only real grip with this company. It seems that head office focus on money far more that person centred care, forcing the home to run dangerously understaffed despite our home managers insistence that these conditions are not sad. They don’t see the day to day runnings or the home and just seem to care about cutting costs, which is not okay in the kind of home we work in. The manager and deputy are friendly, approachable and easy to communicate with. It also helps that the team all seem to interlock really well and everyone can have a laugh- an absolute must in such an emotionally heavy job. They are always easy to contact about issues within the home and the manager will often come in during the evening to de-escalate behaviours that staff are not confident handling alone, which is something I have never seen any manager do in any of my previous jobs.The service users are incredible and some of my favourite people on the planet. Working with them is an absolute gift. Also, staff are given free food, tea and coffee while on shift, always a plus. All in all, while there are still a few hiccups expected from a brand new home, this is a without doubt one of the most challenging and rewarding jobs I’ve ever had.
Pros
Free lunch, have a giggle, activities
Cons
Head office interferes
Poorly run. Whistle blowing isn’t followed through. Loved the amazing service users and other staff, but weren’t supported by the management at all. Poorly paid too
Pros
Service users
Cons
Management and wages
Amazing place to work , Majority of the Staff and Manager are help-full understanding and professional. Everyone at Sunnyside House Gloucester works as team helping each other.
Pros
Exceptional team work, out of the house activities, free lunch/dinner
Cons
No choice of shift you want to work, no regular shift pattern.
I would not recommend choice care group to anyone I know. Although the job is very rewarding, to management you are just a number. You are never praised for the job you do, and you are expected to come in on your days off and work your annual leave. The service users are not looked after to the standard they deserve, activities are very few and very mundane. The company is called “Choice Care” but believe me the service users don’t get a choice. Management like to sit in the office, not get involved with service users. Rota’s were not out on time so staff wouldn’t know when they were working. I would also class some managers as bullies.
Pros
Helping someone less fortunate than yourself.
Cons
Everything.
Typical day is that the moment you start your shift it all kicks off with the service users. You have service users that hit you as well as punch you. Management don't do anything they don't care there staff welfare. It's meant to be supported living but it's more like residential. When it's your day off you get called in as they are short staff. Also when it's meant to be your week end off the management rota you on shift.
Pros
Cons
Bad management, Rudeness
work was easy and slow. no real support from management wether it was problems in the workplace or accounting for where you live compared to job location. no real reward for hard word or effort. asked to stick to policies then punished when the policy was followed. would not recommend working here and i wouldnt work for choice ever again.
Pros
Training is excellent. A gratifying job; management is approachable and great colleagues. It is a privilege working in this environment to help service users to lead a meaningful and healthy life. The training is spot on, and if you have anything you're not sure about, you can always rely on your colleagues and management.
Pros
Job satisfaction and workig with service users.
Cons
Low pay as is the norm in this industry
  1. Employee reviews