Cirencester College logo
Cirencester College

Cirencester College Employee Reviews

2.8Pay & benefits

Upbeat, Creative and Challenging Environment

Along with my daily responsibilities of room and equipment maintenance and safeguarding the welfare of students, this position has also required me to assist with exhibition preparation and implementation, photograph and design displays of students work, manage art equipment and supply orders, and manage the college art blog. I am extremely well organised and I am currently utilising this skill by creating a new book-keeping system for the art department. This job has pushed to learn fast, use initiative, gain a good working relationship with my colleagues and establish my position with both students and lecturers. I am able to work well under pressure and to tight deadlines, and my current role demands this much of the time from me.

Stressful

I imagine that as staff change, the culture changes, but it was one of the most stressful jobs I have ever had. Unsupportive and disorganised manager, aggressively laddish team led to me feeling isolated, unmanageable workload within my part-time contract, excessive pressure put on me everyday, HR team unsupportive. I left and have not looked back.

Pros

The students

Cons

The lack of funding, the pressure from SLT, the chaotic manager, excessive expectations of a part-time worker, the lack of support by the team, the pressure from above

Fun

Plenty of opportunity for work experience. Very friendly staff members who were able to help me out and train with the best of their ability. Everyone was really nice and caring.

Toxic work culture

The college generally is fairly friendly and a decent place to work as long as you don’t question anything ever and are lucky enough to be in absolute perfect health. This is not an inclusive space. The management style generally is very much top down rather than cooperative and is very old fashioned. Staff are treated as dispensable and wages are poor. The company would benefit from some updated business strategy models and from a less than hierarchical management style. From day one there was an air of fear. Staff would often gossip and whisper about other members of staff. After mentioning this to my manager, the unpleasant atmosphere dissipated for a while only to slowly return. Sadly the marketing manager was just as complicit. I was in a vulnerable position having returned to work after a long period of disability and whilst management was initially supportive (while they needed someone to fill the post) it became clear that ongoing support and proper procedures would not be provided. What followed was a period of inevitable worsening of mental health with zero procedures in place to offer support. It’s no wonder they have students committing suicide if they are unable to treat their co workers as human beings rather than robots. There is a lot of ‘safeguarding’ and ‘best practice’ talk but it doesn’t materialise for staff although students seem well supported. So relieved to be out of that toxic work environment and freelancing instead. With proper procedures and a more humane management style the college could be a decent employer but like so many floundering further -

Pros

Subsidised Cafe

Cons

Poor management style

Salaries are very poor

There are some lovely, committed people working there, but dedication and hard work are rarely recognised and the pay is very poor compared to other organisations. Job security is also currently an issue - there have been some redundancies.

Pros

Subsidised lunches, friendly people, term-time contracts available.

Cons

poor pay.

A great, and fun place to work at.

I learned how to keep the children safe, the most enjoyable part of the work experience was taking the children out into the play ground when it was breaktime or lunchtime. The hardest part of it was when I had to help settle the babies for bed time, that was quite hard to do as they wouldn't settle at first.

Welcoming and encouraging atmosphere, great fun workplace.

Having previously attended Cirencester College as a student, I was welcomed so warmly onto the Marketing team and by all other staff members and encouraged in every area, trying new things and gaining new skills. I learnt a great deal of Photoshop skills and improved my skills with photography as I would often be required to take photos of events and activities occurring throughout the college. I improved my organisational skills through my responsibility of updating course information online, where I would multiple times a day have to coerce with teaching staff members to collect information in which to base my write up of the course online. I could take advantage of my natural ease of talking to large groups and to various ages of people when I would represent the College, as a team or independently, at school events and futures evenings, having to lead talks as well as answer questions. The hardest part of the job, other than leaving it, was the amount of deadlines for most every project of work taken on, however this was also a great learning experience for me and benefited me a great deal. I most enjoyed the varied scheme of work I had from holding talks to writing up news stories and taking photos around campus.

Pros

Great co-workers

Cons

Travelling distance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cirencester College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.0Job security/advancement