Citizens Advice Bureau
Happiness score is 84 out of 100

Citizens Advice Bureau Employee Reviews

United Kingdom440 reviews

Nice enviromant

I was just a volunteer, but I have learned a great deal with Citizen's Advice. They have very good management and a team that cares for their volunteers and staff.

For filling

Hard fast emotional stressful at times.academic pressured target driven.team work and able to work alone and use own initiative. Good communication skills required sympathy empathy and in powering nature.help assist and give clients the skills and knowledge to sort out their issues.

Pros

Satisfying when achieving good outcomes

Cons

Fast pace upsetting at times

Kind, collaborative and interested in you as an individual. Fair and balanced. Interviews are friendly and fun but do test your ability. There is a clear sense of a happy and collaborative team where you will be judged on your merits and value as an individual.

Pros

Great team and good Flexibility- enormous satisfaction. Small, friendly team

Cons

The work can be mentally demanding but colleagues are very supportive.

I love working for citizens advice bureau making a difference to people's lives and taking the stress and anxiety away and solving their problems or directing them to solve their problems . Every day is different you never know who is coming through the door or what they need help with. It's a lovely team to work with very supportive.

Pros

Team players

Cons

Nothing except possible violence from the general public .

I actually worked as a volunteer for CA, but they paid my travel expenses.

Worked at CA Havering as a volunteer, for 6yrs, up until the first lockdown. I would still be there, but I moved to Yorkshire. Great people, I learned a lot, and they boosted my confidence, having been jobless for a few years. They give excellent training, to advisers and admin staff. I miss them, I made good friends there.

Pros

Travel paid for all volunteers. Great training program. Made to feel appreciated, and part of their team.

Train yourself, expect very little support

Management are very unskilled on every level. Expect to have to work extra hours to complete your work. Benefits are poor, which is the opposite of what you’d expect at citizens advice

Pros

You get to help people

Cons

Remuneration

Interesting

Varied and interesting volunteer work. Gives a good training and insight into all sorts of issues. Good base to progress from for other paid employment.

Consumer adviser

Great place to work, fast paced, management helpful. The salary wasn’t great which is the downside of the job though rewarding the pay just doesn’t cover living costs.

Pros

Good team, helpful trainers.

Cons

Low salary

Mixed bag of feelings

I worked as a volunteer for over a year there . I wanted to give something back to society .it was great receiving the intense training and the support was good. Helping the public was so satisfying and I was supported through the initial process of assisting the public enquiries .Once ce trained you were left alone to get on witj it … and cases were allocated to me to assess and regular feedback.What was disappointing was the lacking of the management team and volunteers . Some were very ignorant , prejudiced, discriminatory towards public and staff who were foreigners.

Pros

Free teas

Cons

Demanding but Interesting job. Every day was different. The volunteers and management were very dedicated and keen to ensure everyone had the best advice possible.The suport provided was first class.

Pros

Helping those who needed advice and/or support.

Cons

Funding for the service was always tight.

An opportunity to make a difference

Most of my job involves researching, giving advice, drafting documents and correspondence. I support volunteers to give advice. We make a real difference to peoples lives and it would be difficult to imagine what a world without local Citizens Advice bureau would be like. The public have a lot of respect for the work we do. The hardest part of the job is learning about the horrendous ways that people are treated by companies, landlords, local authorities etc. I feel supported and I feel I have purpose here.

Pros

A genuine and supportive team

Cons

You need to be very emotionally resillient

Enjoyable, learning experience

Love working at CAH, great environment, fantastic support and endless learning opportunities.Great work place culture where all staff on all levels are friendly and approachable, the office is somewhere I love being.

Training excellent

Good voluntary organistion to work with.cover alot of topics and enquires.Good relationship with other agencies and third parties.Professional and supportive to paid staff and volunteers.

Very educative

I have learnt a great deal. They are really passionate about fighting for other's cause. There are so many people who need help but it can be difficult as we rely on volunteers bit at the moment numbers are now. We usually get law centres who move on after a while because of successful job interviews. Management can be non existent to overbearing at times. There is a lot demand place on quality & numbers on local office from the national office.

Pros

Lots of free training

Cons

Easily work without a break because of so much needing to be done.

Excellent training and support

Although I am a volunteer this is perfect grounding. I learn something each time I work with them. It is fulfilling to see that we can remedy the general public who come in with genuine problems. The issues can be widespread. What is more we listen, get advice from our Supervisor and then we type up the notes for Head Office. If Head Office notice an omission that we missed out you get a task and we always complete these and call the member of the public if needed. At the end of the day the member of the public is priority.

Pros

Excellent support

Cons

None.

Productive, supportive and enjoyable work place

Thoroughly enjoyed my time here as a trainee money advice caseworker. Management and all staff very supportive, open and friendly. Joined the service during Covid so a lot of the training was from home, however always felt supported and never felt isolated.All staff and volunteers very passionate about the work and strive to achieve the very best outcomes for clients. It was a pleasure to be part of the team.Only downside is the reliance on external funding which has an impact on job security. Would happily return in the future.

Pros

Friendly, supportive environment

Cons

Funding dictates job security

Good place to volunteer

I have volunteered here for just over a year. There is a really friendly bunch of people, and the supervisors are so helpful. The only annoying thing is the training is so over the top, there's so much of it and you feel like you're being overwhelmed by it all. For a voluntary role I didn't expect so much training, but I think working from home contributes to that. Sometimes you can be treated like a paid member of staff which is difficult. But again I feel like this is over the phone contributing to the lack of motivation you have. Clients can be really harsh too. Overall though it is a great experience. A lot is expected from you but as so many people want to volunteer I can imagine they can be fussy. They also reimburse you £1.20 a shift, not having to leave your home either! So that's kind of them. They also send you a little christmas gift which was really thoughtful.

Job is fine if you know your stuff

Volunteered at Citizens Advice Direct in Glasgow City Centre for a couple of yearsDidn't feel I was learning and growing while working/volunteering there I felt you were rushed to take as many calls as you could but without sufficient knowledge and training You did a week of training with a trainer then on the phones and offered refresher training now and again I felt I could have been trained better as I could have gained employment there which would have suited me just fineReally enjoyed learning all the facts of the welfare state and giving debt and employment advice I left because I felt I wasn't learning and acquiring the necessary knowledge to perform the job to the required standard Always had to ask experienced staff with the skills and knowledge to resolve queries and questions to the satisfaction of the customer Always had to put customers on hold to get an answer to their questions They are pushy when it comes to going to the Xmas night out and annual general meeting Could get the flexibility to work around university because I was a student whilst volunteering there Always expected to answer the phones No variety in the job

Pros

Flexible hours, enjoyed the learning needed to do the job, would go back in a heartbeat if life wasn't so hectic

Cons

Always had to ask for support to answer customer queries, training below standard, pushy management, felt I wasn't learning anything, rushed to take calls without sufficient knowledge and training, no variety, would have liked to have gained employment here but didn't

Would highly recommend for anyone wanting to help others.

For almost 3 years I worked in the consumer service based in Stoke and then in Newcastle under Lyme. I can honestly say I had the best time working there. I received great support from my TLs and thought the management of the entire team was excellent. I would advise anyone who enjoys helping others and is sociable to apply. Be aware that the job doesn't come without its difficulties but if you put the work in you will be received with open arms and rewarded exceptionally well.

Pros

Management, support, new location

Wonderful place to work. Learning new skills all the time. Empowering clients with knowledge to help them with often diverse problems. Great support by management. Good feeling to help clients to help themselves x

Pros

Good support from management. Learning new things

Cons

It was voluntary. Can be stressful and sometimes difficult

Good learning and encouragment

The best organisation I worked for with respect. I was welcomed very well, trained properly, opportunities, support. Career growth, rewards, appreciation. Good human beings.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Citizens Advice Bureau. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.4