Civil Aviation Authority

Civil Aviation Authority Employee Reviews

Managers were brilliant

Typical day would be directing emails, preparing for meetings. Giving presentations, received training. I learned how to put together the findings of the Inspectors and present them at meetings on PowerPoint. Already new how to use PowerPoint and had presented homework while I was doing my degree, but felt that it was really good experience to do this within a professional environment. Managers were brilliant; very supportive. With regards to the work place culture, I found there was a bit too much gossip going on but it's an office and so this is to be expected. Trying not to get dragged into it was the hardest part of the job, because it means that you are not part of the informal part of the team; which is just as important as the formal part that forms your contract. This made my job really hard and I made my excuses and I left. It just made it an ugly place to be sometimes. You try not to get drawn in. The most enjoyable part of the job was the Christmas party. Was a nice sit down dinner and an opportunity to get to know the people I work with.

Excellent Employer

The Civil Aviation Authority is a wonderful employer that treats its staff well and respects the opinions of newcomers. staff and colleagues are helpful, hardworking and passionate about what they do.

Pros

Respect and treatment from colleagues and peers

Cons

Nothing of any note

Bulling culture in the department i worked

The department i worked in had a bulling culture. This did not come across at the interview. However, in my first week I discovered that this was not the environment i wanted to work in. The lady | reported to was unhelpful.

Seemed good to start with

At first this felt like a really positive step in my life. I felt like the people there were friendly and kind. I can't prove who did it, but while working there I had several incidences of my personal belongings being taken within the building and I was also hacked many times. It's a job for life. The holiday pay and pension/maternity are in line with civil service. So if you want a job for life and blend into the background this is a great space to work. But for me? No I did not have a positive experience. It was frustrating I think for both sides. I was going through a psychic awakening, this really wasn't the right industry for me. I negotiated my own salary, it was good for me at the time, but obviously as a single person in London the need is for much more - but I was not very realistic about money.

Pros

Great perks for a lifer

Cons

Not good for mavericks

Poor management culture & lots of bullying

I worked here for a few years. It started well but then I was bullied and forced out. Culture is ruthless and nasty. Lots of whispering behind your back. Management is rude and ignores less senior staff treating them like dirt. This has happened to many people I know. If you value your dignity and reputation, don't work here.

Pros

central location

Cons

bullying culture from the top. Then they force you out.

Collaborative, great colleagues

I enjoyed my time working at the Civil Aviation Authority. My colleagues were knowledgeable and passionate about aviation safety. Sometimes things took a long time to be approved, but it was in general a positive place to work.

An exceptionally rewarding place to serve

An amazing team - superb and modern leadership and an office space designed with staff in mind. An employer worth emulating. The management structure ensures that everyone is empowered to perform.

Worst company to work for

Only work for this company if you wish to experience a mental break down and I cannot stress enough if you have mental health issues DO NOT EVEN APPLY FOR A ROLE AT THE CAA!!! Unsupportive, bullying vultures who squeeze you into oblivion.

Applied for several jobs mainly SSC Gatwick

This organisation appears to have age discrimination. Hold Btec Advanced Aviation studies City and Guilds Available Worked for CAA 1982 for 2 years before joining the civil service. Was offered an interview 2 years ago, attended Hr. Informed that only given an interview as they were being nosey and thought it fun! Yes really aged 54 having 32 years customer facing skills and Administration.

Friendly employees

Part time worker at the CAA. Typical day would be analysing airline data. Extensive use of Excel and specialised programs. Very good work environment.

Pros

Great location in London

Cons

can get very repetitive

Jobs at Civil Aviation Authority

See more jobs

Working towards an advanced & safer future

My typical day at work was, very organised. I learnt to arrange my work load to pay the company’s expenses & invoices in a timely manner. The preparation of the work load was the hardest but most satisfying when paid within the time scale.

Pros

Very good annual leave

Cons

No concessions

Ssc

Work across a range of jobs which keeps the day busy and interesting. Call-centre, pre-screening applications, responding to queries, scanning and filing make up majority of tasks.

Pros

variety, social

Cons

lack of training

A progressive and friendly environment

Having progressed through four seperate departments I was comfortable and felt it was a team based atmosphere that inspired enthusiasm to thepoint that I was able to work off my on my own initiative on an EU based project with the support of a strong team.

Pros

Great Christmas dinner and friendly people.

Cons

It was a busy environment under which stress was to be expected.

learning experience

my day would start early, since the location was far from town. there was alot of reading and learning involved. I t was fun learning more about air craft control. learnt about different landing systems at the airport

Pros

free transport

Cons

far from city

Do not work here - would have been zero stars but had to submit at least 1 star

If you decide to apply to this appalling company then please do yourself a favour, save yourself the stress and delete your application!!! The shared service centre is the worst! How they treat their staff is barbaric!! They should be ashamed of themselves!! Promoting staff well being??? Do me a favour!!! The only thing the CAA are capable of is beating up their staff when they are at their lowest! Why are they at work when they are in such a low state I hear you ask... because people are told if they take time off they will lose their job!!!!! Appalling, disgusting, barbaric and a total disgrace!!!

Unless in an Admin Role, you'd have to be an aviation Specialist/Ex Pilot

A Typical day at work as a Shared Service Center Officer is a lot of Admin Work, encluding processing and assessing Pilot licence applications as well as training school Applications and Drone Applications. Coming from having zero experience/little knowledge of aviation, you learn a lot of the ins and outs of Aviation Safety. Management are supporting, helpful and approachable. Culture of the workplace inst really for the younger generation. However the company do lots of paid for work dos. Hardest Part of the job is avoiding little mistakes as they have big costs. Most enjoyable part is learning something new everyday and constantly expanding your knowledge.

Pros

Free Parking - Good Holiday Allowance and Sick Pay from Day 1

Cons

Different peoples being paid more than others for same role

Great Workplace

I really enjoyed my time at CAA its a brilliant company to work for. All of the staff support each other and its a nice atmosphere within the office, if f i had the opportunity i would defiantly work for this company again.

Professional and Friendly

While I was at Civil Aviation Authority for Work Experience, I learnt what different departments do to make one big company. For example, Maintenance or Medical. The Management there are Professional but Friendly and Caring. There was nothing that was hard about the things i was doing during my work experience but the enjoyable parts were learning the different skills of what each department does.

Pros

Friendly and Professional Atmosphere

Cons

N/a

If you're passionate about Aviation, it's the place for you

If you're passionate about aviation and want to work with other who are too, it's a great place to work with like minded people who also care about it.

productive and knowledge imparting work plae

my day starts off with praying with my fellow workmates and then work commences which involves checking for the maintenance faults in the structures of the company and assessing them as a team outlining the possible control measures.

Pros

free lunch

Great team

The people are great to work with. The team works very well together and there is a really good work/life balance, but not a lot of opportunities for career progression.

Pros

People

Cons

No career development

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Civil Aviation Authority. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement