Civil Nuclear Constabulary

Working at Civil Nuclear Constabulary: 29 Civil Nuclear Constabulary Reviews

United Kingdom29 reviews

policeforcetraininggoodpaypeopletimejob

Not the best

Excellent wages no work life balance though, there is no advancement unless your face fits. Dull, Monotonous and tedious. The people on shift are great fun though.

Pros

Wages and your colleagues

Cons

poor management

Disciplined and responsible.

CNC have a strict joining procedure. This includes a very thorough vetting from an outside Government agency. There is also a physical fitness test, and a practical test with regard to the handling of firearms. They have a rank structure which is open to all. They have a transfer arrangement between all UK sites. The working day is shifts, as the job is 24/7, 365 days a year. The remuneration is in line with other Police forces and good opportunities for overtime.

Pros

Overtime

Cons

Shift work

Insights into Civil Nuclear Constabulary

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Sense of belonging
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Research the role as much as possible

From a front line officer - I really enjoy working at the CNC as a whole, the officers are generally fantastic people and there is a togetherness within the sections. I would recommend doing as much research about the role as you can before joining as this isn't your typical police role. The force seems to be making big leaps in the right direction when it comes to standards, more work locations and training. The force comes across as very top heavy in terms of rank and they often hire civies in roles that really should be going to people that have done our job. Officers experiences can vary massively from site to site and even section to section, and I am very aware that if wasn't posted where I am and on the section I am on, I would be writing a very different review. A quick comment in terms of recruitment, I actually think the process is too easy and standards should be raised slightly to make sure we getting the best officers through.

Pros

Pay, Pension, Training, Work Life Balance

Cons

Site locations, Recruitment process, Lack of unarmed roles

Don't listen to the negative reviews, the CNC really is a great place to work. Good job satisfaction, excellent pay, excellent training and job security as well. Whats not to like. There are some moaners, and I think most of them post reviews on here, but the good people far outweigh the bad.

Pros

Great opportunities

Cons

Pros

Great opportunities

Stressful and pressured

This is not the job people think it is. Poor Management and leadership. Sickness is high amongst people due to the poor work culture. At times there is a sense of failure to support or listen to the workforce. Lots become disgruntled and leave to join other forces.

Cons

Long shifts

Well paid, good prospects

I'd never heard of the CNC before I stumbled on their recruitment website but I'm so glad I did. I never considered a career in the police before joining and I think if you're looking for a normal police career this isn't for you. If however you're looking for a career that's all about national security then this is for you. Training and equipment is second to none and at my unit we're very much a family. I've worked in some pretty dead end jobs before and believe me this isn't one of them. I will be staying for a full career and going for promotion soon.

Pros

Secire job, good conditions, grear colleagues

Cons

Lots of things you need to qualify on.

Really enjoyed my time

Probably the best job I've had, only moved on due to location. All the supervisors and my unit commander really cared about the officers. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting good training and a good career.

Pros

Training, experience, trestment at work.

Cons

Location but rhat may suit some.

Awful Force To Work For.

Awful, awful force to work for. Very backward thinking. Unless your face fits you will not go anywhere. The work ethic is something I couldn't get my head around. There's an incredible amount of favouritism/cronyism and if you're in the good books, you're made. Some officers who fall behind on their fitness levels are provided with automatic sideways movement into roles that should be for civilian staff, however, these opportunities are not put out to all to apply for, just a simple "handshake, wink-wink" and they're moved. If younger in service officers don't keep up with their fitness, disciplinary action is taken, and if need be, dismissal. Management are a joke, no one ever listens to the officers on the ground and you're discouraged hugely from speaking out to voice concerns/issues. Depending where you go, there is a very much "locals are preferred" atmosphere, and so unless you're from the local community you are treated like an outsider. I personally experienced a lot of outright discrimination in this force and was once referred to a "Johnny Foreigner" whilst in training. The retirement age is insane, I believe it's now 68 for CNC. Do NOT leave a decent job for this either, as even if you get your IFC this is not a guaranteed job, unless you pass your firearms course - it's a very big leap of faith.

Pros

Opportunity for overtime, not bad wage

Cons

Long hours, scope for progression is limited unless you're a mate of a mate

Do your research.

Only leave a full time secure job if you are 100% sure this is what you want to do. Do your research and you will realise you dont have a secure job untill passing the 17 weeks training course which is extremely hard and has a high failure rate. Is the potential of being unemployed worth it? Especially if you have responsibilities.

Pros

Meet some nice people

Cons

If you dont match what they want you are gone!

Fast paced clinical workplace

During my time with the CNC I realised the it is a fast paced, clinical workplace and with this you are expected to perform at an expected level constantly.

Be very wary of this organisation

This organisation is not what it is sold as to potential employees. You are a security guard with a gun. If you wish to do police work, look elsewhere. I'll start with the positives, pay is ropey to start with but quickly will take you to 40k a year for doing next to nothing at work. The organisation will not allow you to sleep at night, but the overwhelming majority of PCs will get at least 3 hours sleep per shift anyway, rising to around 6-7 hours for sergeants. 4 on 4 off shift pattern, with seemingly endless overtime if you want it as they are unable to retain officers due to sheer incompetence. Now the negatives, VERY monotonous job, you will drive around aimlessly with all the gear and no idea. You have all the powers of a constable, but not the ability to use them as the organisation is not interested in supporting the community. They will not back you if you had to use police powers anyway. They will not give you any kit to help you in 'real police jobs' if you do stumble across any wrong doers, and you will be solely reliant on the good will of the local force to come and bail you out. The management at a unit level is awful, full of people who love to show appreciation to their superiors, but treat their subordinates like a step up to the next rung of their self glorifying career ladder. They have no police experience whatsoever, and are merely admin managers, not that they will ever admit it. At the smaller sites, there are some very good officers, who wish to help their community but are constantly beaten with the 'look the other way mentality' -

Don't leave a decent career to join the CNC

There are a few issues to contend with when working for this organisation. Firstly, the job struggles with its identity. It classes itself as a Police Force but then avoids policing responsibilities and duties towards the public like the plague. If you are the sort of character with strong morales who finds it difficult to walk passed people needing your help you will struggle from the off set in this job. I have witnessed acts that are nothing short of malfeasance and neglect of duty but this is the culture that runs throughout this organisation. Secondly, you will be asked to carry out your role without the necessary equipment or support mechanisms that you would naturally assume are in place. This force is decades behind every other UK Police Force in terms of equipment, documentation and procedures. They provide you with a pocket note book and firearms. No ANPR, no live scan or similar capability, no in car dash cams or body cam ect ect ect. They have absolutely no way of confirming the identity of people they come across who are not carrying any form of ID and yet a large part of the role is to question people potentially conducting hostile reconnaissance of such sites. You are out there as a pair by yourself. Most forces learn by experience but as the CNC very rarely deal with incidents they have not progressed. When incidents occur in other forces that the CNC can learn from the attitude that it's unlikely to happen here prevails. The management team in this force are hugely inexperienced and lack leadership qualities. Be prepared to have to deal with -

FTU Needs looking at

Learning the law at the HQ was good the instructors were very good but the learning curve is steep this is due to the time allocated for the course this could be extended? The Fire Arms Training is appalling the majority of the instructor are ex AFOs topping up their pensions and the whole way they operate need to be overhauled.

Pros

Hotel Accommodation

Cons

Bad Pay, boring job at the end of hard training

Best decision I ever made.

The job is whatever you make of it. You may get offered a place on a ‘IFC’ but this does not mean you are guaranteed a job, which does leave it as a big risk. The course will have you trained by a group of ex home office/military instructors to a high standard. A lot of people complain that we are trained so highly but never get the opportunity to implement our training? We are trained for a terrorist attack on site. Which shockingly isn’t an every day occurrence... Depending on your sites location you may get to deal with ‘real policing’ from time to time but that is not what this role is about. You are a police officer but you are there to protect the nuclear material. Overall, I’d recommended this role to everyone. 4 on 4 off rotas with a massive opportunity for overtime. If you are driven enough, you’ll seek the opportunities that others hide from and make the most of it. To top it all of you get to finish everyday with 0 stress.

Lots of opportunities for hard working employees

This organisation has gone through massive changes over the last decade. It is a professional force with a continuous drive to improve. I have had enjoyed working in lots of different roles, I have received lots of training throughout my career and I have been paid well. Some of the negative comments on here have clearly been written by toxic, ungrateful employees

Pros

Opportunities for hard workers.

Cons

Need to move house to undertake some specialist roles

Working for the cnc

12 hour shifts , 4 day rota , 4 days off. Basic job never changed ....just the way we went about it. Team work important. Best part .....knowing you worked a problem out so the workforce could perform their jobs safely and securely. Worst part .....dealing with the computer and telephone systems

Worst employer i've encountered

I served in a number of roles within the CNC over a 10.5 year period (AFO, PST instructor, trainer and training designer) and experienced appallingly poor management, discrimination and bullying for the majority of my time. Nepotism within the organisation, not dedication, skills or experience, dictates who can progress their careers. The whole organisational culture is unhealthy, stemming mainly from poor and inappropriate management and over promotion of inadequately skilled personnel. Despite having formal policies and procedures in place, any attempt to address issues such as bullying or discrimination is met with a closing of ranks and intimidation of the complainant. As a very disgruntled employee who was taken to the edge of a nervous breakdown by poor management and discrimination within the CNC I cannot stress highly enough that this employer should be avoided.

Pros

Cons

Poor management. Bullying. Discrimination. Nepotism.

Unique and Challenging

The CNC is a unique place to work, especially if you're used to the private sector. People are friendly, a good mix of different professionals including police of course. I thought the work life balance was not very good. In general people start early some as early as 7pm and finish early, however there is flexitime. Difficulty for me as I was going by trains and there are not many to Culham. Salary/Benefits I think are not that bad as most people had a bonus as well as a basic salary and good pension. Job security was good although there was a number of restructures while I was there including one for finance. Management I thought was not as good as it could be I think they could provide a bit more hands on support. General training for the whole organisation is poor which I think made management accountants jobs more difficult. I think one of the most enjoyable part of the job was learning about the nuclear industry in general and a visit to Sellafield.

Pros

Flexitime

Cons

Poor Training

good company to work for

family feel to the organisation, honesty and integrity are highly valued. a pride of working for the force is evident, travel to other locations is expected

Pros

Gym access

Cons

The worst police force I've worked for by a country mile

Where do I start. Basic training was good, classroom instructors where very good and it was a good culture and learning environment. Initial firearms training is good ( takes you from a total novice to passing a national cause) . Most of the firearms instructors are good. However a few are so far up their own backsides it's untrue. Be careful of them. Once on station- middle mgt (insp and above) are useless, with next to non having any real world policing experience. The culture is very corporate and cliquish with many old lazy know all"cops". The role bares no relationship to policing, it's an armed security role. Standing on a fixed point for hours on end, rain or shine. If not that,then driving round in ever decreasing circles for hours. God forbid you if you get involved in ANY sort of traditional police work or crime either inside or outside the wire. You'll be treated like a leaper. ( Most have never even written or taken a statement in their careers). Due to having nothing meaningful to do all shift, the culture becomes toxic, with lot's of back stabbing and is extremely petty. The constabulary doesn't seem to know what it is, it is certainly not a police force, more of an agency funded by the nuclear industry, as such whoever pays the Piper, plays the tune! You Will not be an independent constable,but an employee of the nuclear industry. The training is good, the pay is good, with Plenty of ot if needed. Lateral career movement is almost non existent, promotion depends on moving your family sometimes hundreds of miles. I now work in a ho force and have done -

Pros

Overtime, shift pattern

Cons

Management, culture, no lateral movement, geographic locations, tedious nature of the work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Civil Nuclear Constabulary. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Civil Nuclear Constabulary with

Civil Nuclear Constabulary reviews by location

• Civil Nuclear Constabulary
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?