Clarion Housing Group logo
Clarion Housing Group

Clarion Housing Group Employee Reviews

Staff were numbers not people

When I started you were treated as a person. With the most recent restructure you became a number and your experiences were not valued and management did not listen to your imput

Company has lost focus & no longer puts customers first

I'm disappointed to write this review as I joined the organisation before they became Clarion when things were better. Staff took ownership and responsibility, customers came first and staff were treated fairly.Sadly, since the merger there has been a huge culture shift and it's very much a case of whether or not your face fits or you have a friend in management. People are promoted because of who they know and not what they know. Training is inadequate and people are left to muddle through themselves. The high turnover of staff has not been enough to alert senior executives to the fact there is an issue. Management do not always support staff and often give conflicting information. There is no cover for leave so your work waits and piles up while you're off - there is simply not enough staff. There is an inadequacy of pay - people in teams doing the same job are not paid according to performance or experience and many are not rewarded fairly for the job that they do / risks involved. Persons with less responsibility and ownership are often paid more than those in complex roles with extra responsibility. The system that was implemented some 3 years ago now is not user friendly and not fit for purpose. Staff are encouraged to work in ways that hide work backlogs and service level agreement failures. The only positive is that there are some amazing people employed by the company despite being undervalued and they work tirelessly to help others. If it were not for the support of my colleagues, I would've left a long time ago.

Pros

Benefit scheme called additions where you can choose benefits such as Health Cash Plan, gym membership etc.

Cons

Poor management, feeling undervalued & overworked due to lack of resources

Clueless management

Blame culture, back stabbing, fall-guy. I did not enjoy working at this organisation, because the managers were lazy and did not take responsibility, when things go wrong it was very much passing blame on a targeted individual. From the chief executive down, fake people.

Pros

Free fruit twice a week

Cons

Lack of communication & involvement decision making

Lots of opportunities

Tough job but rewarding. Still a little bit of silo working, but a large positive organisation. Customers do expect a lot and I think better, more open communication with customers would help.

Not what one would expect of a housing group such as theres

Had no consideration for tenants mental health and jobs just getting delayed and put back until forgotten continuously making appointments and never attend and the ones answering the phones take the complaint just for the manager to ignore

Pros

Staff money is good

Cons

They pay high to try and keep staff

I loved working here

Honesty is the best policy and I genuinely loved working here, it was difficult at first having not done this kind of work before, but the training and support is excellent. Great lifelong friendships formed. Only left as relocated to a different area not covered by Clarion. Senior management always super friendly and get to know their stuff - would work there again in a heartbeat

Pros

Great training, team leaders, fast paced, good salary for area nice management team

Cons

Some callers can be very aggressive

There are better jobs out there!

Having worked as a frontline Neighbourhood Warden for just under a year based in Merton I can wholeheartedly say that I wish I never bothered working here.Having come from a background working within the Police Service and other public sector roles and having like for like experience already similar to this post, you still get badly treated and made to feel insignificant regardless.The job description was laid out simply when I applied and I gained an easy understanding to what was expected. That soon changed once I got the job! You get given tasks that aren’t to what you applied for and you sometimes get made to feel like you’re a contractor/tradesman. You regularly question yourself saying “I thought I applied for a Neighbourhood Warden role but what’s this” You get thrown into the deep end a lot regardless of experience level.As of 2020, the confidence level in your Supervisor (you only have 1 direct manager on your team, other managers you rarely see and tend to allow the Supervisor to deal with things leave a lot to be desired) They don’t go out with you in the community, only stay in the office. The atmosphere on the department is extremely negative, again your Supervisor doesn’t tend to be interested and sweeps things under the carpet continuously. So you are likely to see personality clashes all the time between the team.The role itself is generally straightforward, you provide visible presence around estates in a car checking on ASB, fly tipping and general health and safety matters. Salary is satisfactory for 2020/2021 standards but it’s a very limited role, -

Pros

Cons

Unappreciated, Poor Management, Not treated like an adult, Stress. Mundane Work.

Fast-paced, fun environment

The offices were lovely and the break out facilities were fantastic.The work was fast paced and there was never a dull moment as calls covered were for a varied set of housing-related issues and processes.At the start of employment, one was in training for at least six weeks and then taking calls for customer payments, a good place to start. as this enabled familiarity with operating the in house telephony system.There was a good package of staff benefits and reward schemes.The hardest part of the job was taking difficult calls from vulnerable customers with real life dilemmas or problems, but the reward was being able to help customers by putting them in contact with the appropriate specialist help they needed and by offering advice and support when required.Management were very supportive of their staff and Clarion Housing Group was a great company to work for.

Pros

Fresh Fruit baskets in the offices, supportive management, staff networking groups.

Cons

None whatsoever

Excellent Company

This is a great company to work for. I worked as agency staff and if the position was perminant I would have stayed. There is so much support for staff. Everything is well stocked managed and completed. Fair workload and fairly paid.

Pros

Cons

No perminant positions available

Overall

After being out of work for a few months. My agency contacted regarding the above post. I had experience in repairs, the repairs system used by Clarion was high tech, but manageable after a while.

Jobs at Clarion Housing Group

See more jobs

Grounds Maintenance done wrongly

The hours during the cutting season are 7-5 but expect to be in 15 mins before that as they are rushing you out of the door at 7 am. You are on-site to the last possible minute of the day and you have to travel back in heavy rush hour for 430pm so you can help load up for the next day and you can only leave at 5pm The winter season is why people stay in this job, is because the hours are reduced from 50 to 30 hours a week, you have a seasonal day off which alternates each year. What I mean is by done wrongly is because the work is determined by weekly schedules, Some rounds have big sites and they expect the round done in a 10 day turn around regardless if you have 7 men or 4 men on a team. But due to the size and the workload that is not always possible plus the monthly team meetings that also put you behind but they never take that into consideration when seeing the schedules are falling behind by a day or 2 the blame is always placed on you. Also, the management can forget you have reported work that needs doing, during the winter I reported that work needed to be carried out on at least 3 housing estates only to be told they will be taken care by Feburay, To my knowledge only one estate, as finally been worked on after months of asking permission to do so. Timekeeping by management is conveniently forgotten about when they feel a job needs doing but is started at the wrong time of the day and no overtime is offered and you have to fight to get your time back. Also, the pay is annualized and if you do 4 week a month it's the same if you do a 5 week month -

Pros

Winter hours and people you work with on your team.

Cons

Long hours in the summer, no over time offered, increased work load over the lock-down period

Fun Workplace

Great management, lovely colleagues, great place to work, very relaxed not to formal, dress code relaxed depending on management - overall great place to work.

Good salary, awful work environment

I would not recommend working at Clarion to my worst enemy. The targets are extremely unrealistic, managers do not care about your mental health and stats alone. However, it is a decent salary for the area it is based in.

Pros

Good salary & benefits

Cons

Stressful, toxic work environment with poor management

A fun, pleasant and relaxed place to work and learn, make a difference to the community, supportive team, consultative clear senior management/exec

The offices are beautiful and central London based....accessible and disability friendly. It offers space for working in study rooms and in the main central office area which provides a balance work environment. It is open plan but quiet. Great. I like that. Senior Executive / Management looks after their staff well and the team works in a relaxed office basis, mobile and remote work basis - flexible hours worked and remote work very well for me. Probably can work on team performance / speed of work, and generally a very supportive, professional and ethical team. I did put in place a centre of programs, procurement and contracts management performance for the group - along with a refreshed strategy/policy/procurement and contracts framework... this will result in a more clear SLA and an improved sharpened high performance.

Pros

As above Free coffees and teas, a bonus in today's market and fantastic foods and amenities and transport near by, easy access central London based with London Bridge Station a few minutes walk away.

Cons

Probably I could have done with a longer term contract in my case, the job was successfully completed so contract was short

Poor management support

Bullying not dealt with , mental health issues of staff in a stressful job not taken seriously. Differences in management approaches show inconsistency in ways of treating staff

Disgusting.

The managers are unprofessional and racist. The workplace is toxic and if they don’t like you they will set you up for failure, so you eventually get laid off. DO NOT WORK HERE ITS A VERY UNHEALTHY ENVIRONMENT.

terrible due to Managers

Great culture, poor Management People are nice,like the break system. Targets not so great. Left there went to Origin housing which is more relaxed but far worse in buissness and i met 10 other x clation staff who left for similar reasons

Poor company

No uniform provided For work Poor management poor communication Poor salary for the amount of work expected to do and Treated unfairly By management

Pros

Non

Cons

Lots

Awful

Working within the clarion housing group, i was subjected to victimisation, bullying, harassment. All TL and senior management are all very close to the point that they are dating people witnin the same dept.

Pros

Not bad pay

Cons

You won't be able to get out fast enough.

Fast paced environment

Good place to start a career in housing and lots of opportunities within the organization to explore (different teams and tasks) .I enjoyed friendly atmosphere and collaborative spirit.

Pretty bad for tenants and staff

The systems that clarion use either don’t work or work badly. They have an attitude of if it works in London then it works everywhere. In reality some of the areas are spread out you can travel up to 100 miles or more for 1 visit. Upper management give very little support and like to pass the buck further down the line. Inter department communication is very very poor.

Pros

Pay isn’t bad

Cons

Expected to go the extra mile with no thanks or support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clarion Housing Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6