Clarks

Clarks Employee Reviews

It was fun to work there at first, and my colleagues were lovely but there was such high pressure on meeting unattainable targets and shoe care etc even if footfall was so low. Also, I was always made to stay behind after my shift and keep working for 20 minutes/ half an hour which I'm certain was unpaid. In general, used to be a lovely, fun place to work but since the pandemic the target expectation is too high - I have left crying several times.
Pros
Lovely Colleagues
Cons
Targets too high
Had you asked me about Clarks a few years back my response would have been really positive.But the way the company is going the whole thing is pretty bleak. Confusion over repetitive promotions that over lap and push out more pressure. Pushing the same style shoe on the customer for the last ten years. Observations on teams once a week and having to check daily score cards that are very patronising for staff. Your manager will potentially expect you to do over time and trying to get the time back is not worth the hassle. Team members are lovely but higher management will speak to you with complete and utter disrespect. Pushing conversion and sales when they haven't delivered stock is a joke. By the time I left I wished I had never walked through the doors. If you're going as a team member for an extra few quid it's ok but other than avoid. They'll tell you about their incentives but they make it so hard to achieve you never get them. They may try and pacify this with a bag of haribo.
Pros
Free shoes
Cons
Rude, unpleasant management
easy job, easy pay. Store Manager is a perfect example of what NOT to do. High staff turnover, no security. The company as a whole are only focussed on profits, not the wellbeing of staff.
Pros
experience of difficult customer/leadership
Cons
manager, staff are taken advantage of, no recognition, no benefits
The management at the store I worked at wasn’t the best, they very much expected your lives to revolve around clark’s. It was all about the money, you had to meet your targets otherwise you would be shouted at a lot of the time, however I believe that was just due to my specific manager as it was a very large store. Colleagues who had worked in previous Clark’s stores hadn’t experienced this so I wouldn’t let this put you off.
Pros
Good pay for young people, easy work when trained
Cons
Terrible management, back to school is hard but not awful
Pros Friendly staff,Flexible hoursGood team environment, Very good training scheme,Supportive management teamGood work life balanceConsHot stock
Great company to work for. Brilliant management teams and excellent training and support given. Oh and also free shoes to work in lol. What more could a girl ask for in a work place. Amazing quality shoes which makes you proud to sell them.
Pros
Shoooooes!!
Cons
I very much enjoyed my time at Clarks. They train you once you start so there’s no need to have lots of prior knowledge. Management was a bit all over the place when I first joined but once it was sorted Management was very friendly and helpful. Quite a relaxed environment unless it’s around peak times (Back to School & Christmas) when it’s quite hectic and you have to get through customers fast. My favourite part of the job was working on the Kids department, no two days were ever the same. Another bonus is free shoes of course! and a 33% discount all year round. Would have loved to keep working here if I wasn’t made redundant
Pros
Free shoes, good training
Cons
Hectic during peak times
Absolutely loved the team that I worked with here. The environment is always good. It gets hectic once in a while but is managed pretty well by the management team. The manager is very considerate and kind. Enjoyed my time working here!
Pros
Flexible rota
Cons
Occasional late finishes
When I worked at Clark’s it was for a temp position during one of their busiest times. Honestly, the management were lovely. They were especially helpful when I was suffering with my mental health, to which I will always be grateful as they made everything easier for me so I could manage. At the time I was working part-time but the money was enough for me to manage on. The moral was friendly but competitive (in a positive way, we all worked together and were constantly praised by each other). Overall the best work environment I have ever worked in.
Pros
Good management, good staff moral, positive and encouraging environment
Cons
Not sure
Une très belle experience de travail avec une formidable équipe et une direction toujours à l'écoute.
Pros
Ambiance et collègues
Cons
Pas de primes
Pros
Flexible rota
Cons
Occasional late finishes
Pushy expecting you to sell 2 pairs shoes doesnt always work as they are all about profit and shoe care yeah there polite but its for a reason how much money can i make out of you. If you pulled up a sale pair and it was cheaper than what they was looking at they will tell you off.
Clarks is a great place to work that allows you to flexibly work/study around it. All the staff I worked with are friendly and we all worked as a good team. This is a fantastic job that is payed fairly and allows you to meet new people every day. Also its difficult to find a retail job like this where the management is actually good so definitely worth it.
Pros
Fair pay, good management, flexible around studies
Cons
Peak times like back to school can be really busy
I worked at clarks for almost 4 years and it was my first job. I did enjoy my time but that was due to the people I worked with, not so much the company. The company have far too high expectations for a brand that has stronger competitors on the high street nowadays which make it much harder to sell to customers and reach the ridiculous targets they set. It’s your fault if you don’t sell enough shoe care or get enough multisales etc even though there was very little footfall and you can’t be blamed for a customer not wanting to buy every single time. It was difficult to stay motivated in that sort of environment when you knew you were trying your hardest but it still wasn’t good enough. It’s a good first time job but for a slow paced environment it’s too stressful long term.
Pros
Hourly rate, friendly colleagues
Cons
Lack of hours, unrealistic targets, slow paced, stressful
I worked with Clark’s a good amount of time, admittedly I learned a lot during my time at Clark’s and I do feel proud to have worked in my store with my team however I can’t say I’m proud to have worked for Clark’s as an employer. During my time at Clark’s there seemed to be constant issues with management and store maintenance much of which went largely disregarded. As a small store it felt as though the health and safety of store staff would usually be put secondary to cost of repair. ncentive have become rare, less desirable and unachievable over recent years. As a member of management team you can’t really on the help of your area manager, as they are usually absent or uninterested. As for job security last year we were bluntly told our store was not up for closure. Our store closed this December.
Pros
Free shoes
Cons
As above
The whole company is sinking and it takes its toll on its Instore employees. The communication between head office and individual stores was so poor meaning there were always last minute changes to in-store displays, policies etc. Pay was pathetic for the standard they expect. Upper management always had politics which made no sense because everyone wanted power but no one wanted to actually do the work. Management had severe favouritism to the point the relationship between the manager and another staff member started to look inappropriate. For a part time job, if you can put up with it, it's fine. You'll suffer a lot but sometimes there's a lack of better option. Just don't let yourself get taken advantage off.
Pros
33% discount
Cons
Workplace culture, company attitude, employee treatment
Staff are very friendly and working there was fun. The job itself was very rewarding and good for those who enjoy customer based retail work. The shifts were long but went quickly because they was always something to do
Pros
Supportive colleagues
Cons
Lots of stairs in the back-difficult for anyone who struggles with them
worked here many years part time, and they were flexible. But over the years, extra pay on bank Holidays taken away and breaks. Busy outlet and it got to stage where they wanted you to do more with less staff. Training in store I was in was pretty much leave you to it and pick it up. So kids measure for shoes went downhill.
Pros
Good holiday
Cons
more work with less staff
Typical day would be serving customers by measuring children’s feet accurately, checking stock, bringing out alternatives and fitting the correct shoes/size. If on adults you should approach them and make conversation in regards to the different shoes, check any stock, bring down an alternative 2nd pair and try to upsell. Hardest part of the job would be the daily targets, each staff member would be set targets that they are expected to reach by the end of each shift. For example, £100 an hour so 4 hour shift would be £400, 3% shoecare and 30% multisales. You would have a scorecard to track your progress and if you didn’t hit these targets, management would pressure you into a reason as to why. I have had a few different management teams, whom all have ran the shop and dealt with situations very differently! Some not the best, it just seems the power gets to their head. The sort of management who just sit in the stock room/back all day. Whereas you get other managers who are fully involved in the shop floor/selling, care for staff, handle situations extremely well. Only work here if you can cope well under pressure, during back to school seasons it gets very very busy and stressful, you can have 20+ customers waiting to be served, all watching you deal with other customers.
Pros
Good pay, free shoes throughout year, discount card
Cons
No set rota, a lot of pressure, unrealistic targets each day, some management members are unfair
The job could be quite stressful at times, 1 hour break for a 9 hour shift was a bit disappointing. The staff were friendly enough but there were 1 or 2 who weren't as welcoming as others and didn't seem to like the thought of new staff joining. Managers were helpful but seemed unapproachable at times and seemed to pass the training onto existing team members instead of doing the training themselves. At times it felt unwelcoming but people have those days. Pay was very good and I made a few friends whilst working there. Environment was pleasant and most customers were a delight to help out. Overall, I did enjoy my time there.
Pros
Good Pay, Friendly Staff and Customers.
Cons
Long Hours, Slightly Short Breaks.
DO NOT WORK HERE !! I would not advise anyone to work here, first of all the manager constantly swears and calls you names , speaks to you like rubbish ,Shouts at you in front of customers , so much stress to meet targets never get credit for anything you do right ,always changes rotas without you knowing .
Pros
Free shoes
Cons
Awful manager, not long enough breaks, so stressful
  1. Employee reviews