Clarkson Evans

Clarkson Evans Employee Reviews

United Kingdom128 reviews

Worth the hard work

It’s a good place to work provided you put the effort in too learn both at work and in college,l. The hours can be long during long periods but this is reflected in your pay. Ultimately you get out of it what you put in.

Fast paced and stressful

Not the best place for learning, very repetitive, travel long distances, no time to do things properly as money not good enough, fixes has to be completed in a day otherwise you'll make minimum wage, if you're qualified you're basically doing 2 jobs running and organising multiple sites.

Cons

Long hours stressful, hard graft

Insights into Clarkson Evans

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energising work tasks
  • Inclusive work environment

Great place to achieve your goals

I work out of the exeter depot. We have a great team culture. Great opportunities to earn and a brilliant learning environment. I would highly recommend Clarkson Evans as a place to start your career

Fast pace and good communication from the top

A typical day at Clarkson Evans goes by quickly. Teams work at a fast pace so there is never a dull moment. ProsOpportunities for progression (most of the board members have worked their way up through the company)Good internal communication (e.g. newsletters and video updates from the CEO) Social events in the summer and winter and Christmas party for employees' childrenPerks like free fruit and discounted gym membership, long service rewardsFree counselling availableFriendly peopleConsPension scheme is the minimum

I enjoy my job.. and no one told me to say that!

It is disheartening to read some of the negative reviews because I really do love my job and my coworkers at Clarkson Evans, but I also am not a site worker so can't really comment on what the company / management is like for apprentices and electricians working on site other than I know plenty of them make a lot more money than I do so if you're looking for good pay and are willing to put in the work for it on site, it's definitely possible here! I work mostly with training and apprentices and would like to say that those in training really care about apprentices at CE and their training and want to help them as much as they can do as long as they're also willing to help themselves and put in the work. If you're reading this and wondering whether an apprenticeship (or other job) with Clarkson Evans is for you, I'd say take all the reviews (good and not so good..) with a pinch of salt and come see for yourself.

Good employer

Always pay on time. Opportunity to move department etc.Enjoy working here. There are lots of good people in the company and always help on hand if needed.

Pros

Good culture and work ethic

Cons

Benefits nationwide

I started an apprenticeship with Clarkson Evans last year and was messed around from day one. Firstly, I was put with a team leader who could be one of the worst people I have ever worked with. During my first couple weeks with the company I was put under enormous pressure from my team leader who constantly put me on a timer to see how quickly I could do a task which no 1st year apprentice should have to endure. I was also told on arrival to my branch that I would be working with a team elsewhere giving me absolutely no notice, this happened on many occasions (So be prepared for that new apprentices). After many comings together I reported him to my manager. I was then bounced around the company, working with different team leaders everyday and forced to travel to their sites using my own vehicle which could be a good hour/ hour and a half away from my home and only getting paid the fuel from the branch to the site. This went on for a very long time which made me feel incredibly unsettled. After having my 6 month meeting, I was informed they would not be taking my apprenticeship any further due to my "performance" not being good enough which is absolute garbage. I got up every morning at 5:30 and travelled 45 minutes to my branch whilst trying my absolute best when on site. Getting on to the college side of the apprenticeship and this company could not organise a p*** up in a brewery, after a month of college starting, our lecturer left the company and we were left without any lectures for nearly two months which puts the apprentices progress way back when it comes to exams -

Pros

Leaving at 2 on a college day

Cons

I would be here all day listing them

Not a good place

Not a good place to work unless you are friends with the management team and socialise with them out of work. It is very much who you know and not what you know

Cons

Very long hours

Get your apprenticeship and get out

Worked as an apprentice at clarkson evans 10 years ago, after 10 years out from them, working for a couple of different companies I feel in a position to write this review. Excellent for starting your career, you learn all the basics , you get an apprenticeship and become fully qualified. You learn about what grafting really is in the workplace. However, when you take into the account the hours you do and how much graft you put in, the “eat whilst you work policy” which is not enforced but if you have a break your going to have an even longer day than you already will have, the £800 a week you earn when you take into account the amount of hours a day, 5 days a week you actually work, you may aswell work at Tesco on minimum wage. Not sure what it is like now but there is no base pay, if you only install 10 sockets in a day your only getting paid £20 or so, it was purely all price work when I was there, however they did have plenty of work. If you get the chance, do your apprneticeship there and get out and become a real electrician not just a house basher otherwise the longer you stay there the harder you will find to get employed in anything else other than house bashing. The work you do in that 3 1/2 - 4 years will make the rest of your working life seem like a doddle.

Pros

Get a qualification, good on site crack with the lads

Cons

Stupidly long hours, once you leave you need to learn how to become a real electrician.

15 January 2021
We’re pleased we were able to give you the opportunity to become a qualified electrician and that you had such a positive start to your career with us. There are many different types of electrical work and as a company we specialise in wiring new homes, therefore the experience our staff gain will be exclusively in this sector (something we make clear on our website and during our recruitment process). It is very much real and important electrical work needed to contribute to tackling the country’s housing shortage. We also set out right from recruitment stage that our work is not a ‘9-to-5’ job and it’s important to be flexible to make a success of the opportunities we have available. Typically our site-based staff work 40-45 hours a week and, importantly, they are rewarded through our productivity bonus scheme. This enables them to earn some of the highest rates of pay achievable for an electrician. As an example, our ‘top 40’ most productive electricians regularly earn in excess of £1,500 a week! And that’s ‘on-the-books’ with everything supplied and paid holidays. However, we realise that some people prefer to receive an average electrician salary earned through set working hours and therefore the work we do will not be suitable for everyone.

Avoid this company if you value your physical and mental wellbeing!

Wow, I wish I could have left less than one star. From day dot you are bullied into doing work because most team leaders are so lazy it’s beyond a joke, You’re treated like dogs (in fact dogs are treated better). Don’t expect to get any support from any management, they all have slopey shoulders and you’re told to get the work done, no matter what time of day and regardless of how much work you’ve already done. The management are bullies, I was pulled into the office countless times due to me speaking up about the way I was being treated and their attitude was ‘here, have a disciplinary seeing as you have an opinion’. If you question anything you’re seen as being problematic and disciplined, so glad I got out of there it’s given me the drive to never act like any of the blokes I worked with at Clarkson Evans.

Pros

Absolutely nothing

Cons

Absolutely everything

17 November 2020
It’s disappointing to hear your experience with us was not positive. We are very proud of our apprenticeship programme, which allows those with talent and determination to carve out fulfilling long-term careers. Many of our managers are former apprentices and they continue to work hard in what can be a very challenging industry. On average our apprentices are currently working just over 39 hours a week and thanks to our productivity bonus scheme, they are well rewarded, with the average weekly earnings for apprentices being £432 (around £11 p/hr). We go to great lengths to create a supportive and caring environment for our employees and are therefore surprised at your comments, especially those regarding bullying. Clearly there was a mismatch between our company culture and your own approach, as evidenced by the ‘countless times’ you felt the need to express your dissatisfaction. We wish you well in your future endeavours.

Overworked. Underpaid.

Avoid! Too many hours to scrape by with a poor living wage. Take money from you wherever they can. Awful prices. Lead apprentices through and just drop them...."not their problem". Prices are prices and it's your fault for not earning enough...despite 16 hour days becoming the common thing. Exploiting the young tradesmen. Other trades laugh at our wages and prices on site. With other trades getting double for half the time and effort. £150 first fix for small semi....shared...yes shared out of the price with their own apprentices can leave you with £75 for a hard graft...and they brag about their profits each year. THEY BEG US TO LEAVE POSITIVE REVIEWS to encourage more people to join...to exploit. Many reviews (positive) are lying and are shown as such to kiss managements sphincter...negative reviews tell you the real story.

Pros

Cons

Long hours. Ridiculously low pay. Exploitation.

19 October 2020
We’re sorry to hear you feel this way about your experience of working with us. To set the record straight, we offer some of the highest rates of pay in the industry and our productivity bonus scheme allows staff to be well rewarded for hard work. This starts from apprentice level (last week our apprentices earned on average £11.03/hr for working an average of 39.65 hrs) and the rewards increase as staff progress through the company (our top 40 qualified team leaders earn on average close to £1,400 a week each and that’s ‘on the books’, with paid holiday and everything provided). We’re proud to offer long-term careers for people keen to work hard and step up to take responsibility, and we hope everyone who joins us will want to grasp the opportunities and have a long-term career with the company but we understand it’s not a path that everyone wishes to follow.

Racist/undiversed

Birmingham to Gloucestershire in 2013 passed all of their tests. I have my level 2 in Electricial Installations. Got called back to 2nd interview to be faced by a lovely Steve Evans, a Witch, another guy and some smarmy arsed area supervisor who didn't like me as he huffed and puffed everytime I spoke. Then to be told a week later I didn't get the apprenticeship. If you are black, dont waste your time. NO DIVERSITY AT ALL. Steve wanted me to join but it was a 3-1 decision.

14 September 2020
Thank you for your review. We’re sorry that you still feel disappointed about not being accepted for our apprenticeship programme seven years after your interview. Places on our programme are highly sought-after so our selection process is deliberately rigorous but we try to make sure all applicants are impressed by our company, regardless of whether their application is successful. Interviewers will ask tough questions as we try our best to make sure those selected are genuinely well suited to the role but we are confident that they conduct themselves professionally. We also welcome applications from people from all backgrounds so we would like to understand why you feel the decision not to offer you an apprenticeship was linked to anything other than your performance during the selection process. Please email HR@clarksonevans.co.uk if you would like to provide further information.

Awful

Great apprenticeship but once you've completed that get out of there as fast as you can, they teach you only what you need to know to wire houses as quick as possible. You are taught to a clarkson evans standard of neatness, which is far below what is expected at other firms. Eyes are rolled as soon as you mention you work for clarkson evans to other electricians as their reputation amongst other firms is awful and rightly so.

Pros

Cons

Major drug problems on most building sites and within the company

14 September 2020
Thank you for your positive review of our apprenticeship offering. We’re sorry that you feel less positive about the company in other regards.All of our apprentices undertake training that must meet National Occupational Standards and we are subject to inspections by Ofsted and awarding bodies (City & Guilds and EAL) to demonstrate that we are maintaining the quality of training expected. This covers the full range of skills required to qualify as an electrician, not just to wire houses.Given that we specialise in wiring houses, the majority of on-the-job experience our staff gain will normally be new-build domestic work only, but this is made clear during our recruitment process. We recruit apprentices with the intention of offering them a long-term career with us, and unless we diversify into other types of work, this career will focus on wiring houses and doing so as productively as possible. Our customers demand high quality standards and that’s what we deliver so working neatly is something we take seriously. We are very concerned by your accusation of ‘drug problems’. To our knowledge this is unfounded but if you have relevant information to share with us, please contact HR@clarksonevans.co.uk.

Great management and company and staff to work with

I honestly think this is one of the best companies I've worked for. The management were amazing the guys I worked with were brilliant. I had really good training online as well as one to one. The job itself was great, easy to get used to things, communication was good. I was always able to ask if I was unsure of something. The team were great.

Clarkson Evans review

A good company if you can handle a bit of stress and are independent enough to keep on top of your work. Can be stressful sometimes as it is very faced pace, which is the nature of the work being site work.

You get out, what you put in!

I am a current site supervisor for Clarkson Evans, I was employed from outside of the company, which is unlike the majority of the on site staff. This gives me a little more insight as to how things work across the board in the building industry. Clarkson Evans were remarkable with their support whilst I fought a very serious illness. I have read most of the negative reviews, and can’t help but feel that the people who wrote them were their own biggest failing. So here’s what I think. If you are someone who works hard, takes responsibility, plans ahead and build relationships. Then Clarkson Evans is the place for you. There is a lot of money to be made, you just need to be proactive and produce good quality work throughout the whole process.

26 February 2020
Thank you for reviewing Clarkson Evans. You hit the nail on the head when you said 'you get out, what you put in'. Thanks for taking the time to post a review and we wish you a successful career with us.

Job Satisfaction, long term career

I started with Clarkson Evans in 2007 as an apprentice. I am now a Senior Manager for the company. After my apprenticeship, I moved my career to work in the office and I've not looked back. Great atmosphere in the office with great camaraderie between multiple departments. If you want to knuckle down and push yourself then you can be rewarded with internal promotions. Clarkson Evans is an ever expanding company so there is always a new opportunity waiting around the corner. Competitive pay and flexibility are added bonuses

Team leader

Wow what a company. They exploit young men that want to become electricians. Long hours, Very bad prices. No help from the managers (get the job done attitude) management are bullies. From the outside they look a fantastic company with new Van's and cars, events and awards. Stay away unless you want a fast easy way to get qualified.

20 February 2020
Thank you for your review. We take great pride in being a supportive and caring employer and ask that you contact us so we can fully investigate your comments about bullying. Regarding your other points; while our industry does experience peaks and troughs of demand - and we have to respond accordingly - over the past six months our staff in Plymouth worked an average of 45 hours a week (including time sat in the van travelling to and from site). In return for this they were well-rewarded with average weekly wages of £751. As well as excellent rates of pay we provide everything that our electricians need – from brand new vans and power tools, right down to phones, iPads and even a free breakfast every morning. All our staff are ‘on the books’, paid weekly and receive up to 33 days holiday pay and a generous twice-yearly loyalty bonus. All we ask in return is a positive attitude, a willingness to work hard, a readiness to take responsibility and some pride in your work. For some this is a bit too much to ask and we’re sorry genuinely sorry that, despite all our best efforts, you were not able to make the most of what we have to offer. We wish you well for the future.

Shocking company!

Complete shambles! A lot of work place bullying at Clarkson evans where you are peer pressured to do things you don’t want too and if you don’t do them you will be given a disciplinary. The managers are a complete and utter joke.. never answer there phone and probably the most two faced people you will ever meet. Clarkson Evans is the fakest company you could possibly work for. The standard of work is awful, people put no pride in there work because the prices are a joke (some weeks I only took home £250 and was working 50 hour weeks) Also ignore all of the good reviews Clarkson evans beg there employees to leave good reviews in monthly meetings.

6 February 2020
Thank you for your review. We are surprised and concerned to hear of your allegation of bullying, particularly as we have such a close-knit team at Gloucester with many, many, long-serving staff. We take great pride in being a supportive and caring employer and we would ask you to contact us so that we can fully investigate your comments. Regarding the other points that you have made, we take great issue with these. Although we directly employ over 700 site-based staff based at 21 regional branches across the UK, we are still very much a family company with the founder and his son - both electricians with extensive hands-on experience of wiring new homes - heavily involved in the running of the company. We provide a free breakfast every morning in the Buzz Bar (our very pleasant staff canteen) and all our systems and procedures are designed to support our site-based staff so they can concentrate on wiring houses. We provide (usually brand-new) VW Transporter vans, all power tools and equipment, PPE, a phone and all drawings and information are supplied on an iPad. We give our electricians a site or two to run, they usually have at least one apprentice to help and there’s bags of back-up and support from a local management team as well as technical and commercial teams at head office. We’re not really sure why even with all this support you still couldn’t cope, but come on - what more did you really expect from us? All we needed from you in return was a positive attitude, a willingness to work hard, a readiness to take responsibility and some pride in your work. Whatever your -

Awful company avoid at all costs

Clarkson Evans are by far the worst company I have ever worked for. To make any sort of money at this company is impossible, you are expected to run a busy site with 1 apprentice when with any other company there would be a minimum of 4 blokes on site. The pricing is an absolute disgrace, you have to work 7-7 to make a minimum wage. The prices are awful due to too many overheads, Clarkson Evans have a lot of office based staff who don’t do a lot. As well as awful prices the amount of stress which comes with this job is ridiculous, you are constantly bombarded with emails and phone-calls all day long. Apprentices are treated like slaves. The only people who stay at the company are apprentices, anyone who has come from an outside company leaves straight away due to the fact it’s the worst electrical company about. AVOID

6 February 2020
Thank you for your review but we have to take issue with the points that you have made. Here are the facts: Last year we were voted the ECA Large Contractor of the Year and Sub-Contractor of the Year by the House Builders Federation (our customers). Although we directly employ over 700 site-based staff based at 21 regional branches across the UK, we are still very much a family company with the founder and his son (both electricians with extensive hands-on experience of wiring new homes) heavily involved in the running of the company. We provide (usually brand new) VW Transporter vans, all power tools and equipment, PPE, a phone and all drawings and information are supplied on an iPad. We give our electricians a site or two to run, they usually have at least one apprentice to help and there is bags of back-up and support from a local management team as well as technical and commercial teams at head office. We’re not really sure why even with all this support you couldn’t cope but what more did you expect from us? All we needed from you in return was a positive attitude, a willingness to work hard, a readiness to take responsibility and some pride in your work. Whatever your issues were, your former team mates at the branch don’t seem to have any problems – over the past six months they’ve worked an average of 45 hours a week (and that includes travelling to and from site) and earned on average £913 a week – that’s over £20 an hour. Not bad with up to 33 days holiday paid at average earnings and a generous twice-yearly loyalty bonus.

Nice place to work

Typical day is dealing with on site electricians from any of our 21 depots requesting extra or replacement equipment. Ordering stock and dealing with repairs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clarkson Evans. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Clarkson Evans with

• Clarkson Evans
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?