Clear Links Support

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Great agency to work for, friendly & professional

Lots of variety and a very interesting job. The most rewarding aspect is being able to support students to reach their potential in higher education.

Pros

Supporting students to reach their potential

Cons

Zero contract hours

Very versatile work

I sit in lectures of students and write compact, effective notes for them. It is great because they schedule your support in between your lectures, so you are still able to balance your own studies as well as work. The pay is great, and the team are always really friendly, helpful and understanding !

Very good satisfying work but limited hours

I found it really satisfying to help out students with a variety of special needs, and it's also very well-paid. There's also a lot of help and guidance for best practice on the website; there's a few tests but nothing massively difficult if you apply common sense. The only real problem is that the work tends to dry up around March, what with the university term ending, so if you're looking for something with solid, consistent hours then maybe you'll luck out and get regular students the way I did, but it's not guaranteed, unfortunately.

Excellent place to work

I really enjoyed my time supporting students. It was very laid back good partime work. Only problem is the position is no consistent. Relied on students being in class

Fun but never enough hours.

Work can be very interesting and enjoyable if you're good at the job, but there is never enough work. Hours vary dramatically, so you never know how much you will earn from week to week. If you are dependent on one student for the bulk of your hours and they get sick for two weeks, you will lose two weeks pay. On top of this, lectures are frequently cancelled, and students are only taught for around 5 months of the year. Hourly pay is good, but it doesn't make up for the scant hours and lack of job security.

Pros

Notetaking in interesting lectures. Pleasant environment.

Cons

Not enough hours. Lack of job security.

Best Job Of My Life

Excellent job environment where nobody is always looking over your shoulder making you feel uneasy or under pressure. You can choose your own working hours so it is a very flexible place to work where you do not have much worries about home-work life balance. I wish I could work here forever, however, government funding took away a dream job from me after they made major funding cuts for disabled students.

Pros

Very Flexible

Cons

Working Hours Dependant On Government Funding

A great company to work for!

In my opinion Clear Links Support is a very professional company and probably the best student support agency out there. As an employee I have always felt valued and respected. They are fair and honest and pay well. The admin team are friendly and helpful and are very skilled in dealing with any tricky situation that may crop up. They always put the student first and really are a top class company to work for. Only negative is that it’s not a permanent role.

Pros

Professional, good pay, nice team, honest and fair

Cons

Temp

Flexible Working Hours

This job suited me very well as a PhD student as the hours were flexible and it was easy to pick up an extra session when I needed to. The pay is good although as it is a job that pays by the hour there is no opportunity to develop this position into a full-time career. I enjoyed learning new things from the lectures and seminars I attended. The only downside is when you have an unreliable student, but ClearLinks are very good about letting you know what to do in these situations.

Its Nice

Staff are nice, the work pay per hour is okay, but work is what you would expect with zero hours, some periods are good and some are quiet as can be. Position is casual so unless this suits your lifestyle/circumstances I wouldn't recommend for long term as nothing is guaranteed with getting work as well as keeping it. Reason being even if you secured a position in the week with the company, the student is the one who can cancel and given they do this within 24hours you do not get paid. Also note that you are responsible for your own travel expenses to and from venues and work can vary from 2 - 5 hours either one off or couple of days a week.

Pros

pay per hour is decent, good for work life balance, staff are friendly

Cons

not a lot of hours and even then hours not guaranteed to go ahead as dependent on student.

Perfect Student Job

- Usually casual and term-time hours only, but depending on availability you can take on as many shifts as you want although they try to match your area of expertise with the client's. - Perfect as a job to have alongside your university studies, and is very well paid per hour as it is deemed a specialist role. - Following brief training, you mostly work autonomously taking notes in lectures and often you sit away from the student, unless they have specific needs. Opportunities to take on other roles including sighted guide, typing up and library support, involving further training which is free. - One of the best aspects is that you get to learn about different degree topics. - Most of the note-taking is easy as long as you are prepared to concentrate throughout the lecture, as some assignments are several hours long! There are the odd difficult times when note taking in technical subjects, but again, they try to match you to the subject. If you feel that you are unable to provide adequate support then the assignment can be re-allocated given sufficient warning. - If a lecture gets cancelled within 24 hours you still get paid, but often you don't find out until you're already in the lecture room.

Pros

Still paid when assignments cancelled within 24hrs, excellent hourly rate

Cons

No computer access, term-time only

Interesting and Enjoyable

Lectures are interesting and enjoyable, and the students are good to be around. Co-workers and management are a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job is typing up the lectures afterward. You need a degree, or something similar to do the work. I have not grown tired of the post yet. The only blot on the horizon are the long holidays, which are unpaid.

Pros

Cons

Long holidays.

Excellent variety and high level of support available

A professional company to work for who always put the needs of their clients first and offer a high level of support to their employees. Clear Links run training and guidance sessions on a frequent basis, so their employees are always kept up-to-date with any recent changes to safeguarding and practice. They work with a variety of higher education institutions nationwide, so they are able to offer their employees a wide range of students requiring support with specific learning difficulties or simply academic guidance.

Pros

Variety of work

Cons

Casual work only

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clear Links Support. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.6