CLEVELAND POLICE

CLEVELAND POLICE Employee Reviews

Exciting yet challenging career.

Being a police officer is a very challenging role. Dealing with vulnerable people on a daily basis can have great personal satisfaction, however this can come with a price to your mental health as you're exposed to such a wide variety of things not normally seen by the public.

Pros

4 days off in-between 6 days on. Good annual pay and potential of a great pension.

Fast paced environment that doesn't allow breaks

The amount of staff either going sick, being placed on restricted duties or actively seeking employment in other police forces is staggering. Supervision can vary from exceptional to awful - Mine were the latter. Having worked in management for a number of years prior, I was shocked. They'd happily see front-line officers work nearly 50 hours in a 4 day shift pattern with roughly 30 minutes break over the same period. Certain front-line officers would happily refuse to go to jobs due to the specific nature of it. They would also wait a few weeks before making contact with the victim of a crime in the hope that they weren't wishing to pursue the complaint anymore, because, ''That job's a crock of s&*t''. I decided that my mental health and integrity were much more important than working for incompetence. Don't get me wrong there are some fantastic individuals that work there whom genuinely care for the job, and if it's what you've always wanted to do then go for it.

Good

Enjoyed working here. Would recommend any one who wants a fast pace challenge which presents a different one every day to apply to become a police officer.

Not a great place

Its a place were your face must fit. They are trying to change but have a long way to go. Management are still in a mess and trying to resurrect a collapsing service.

Fast paced sometimes stresfull.

Hard work not fully appreciated by general public. Plenty of opportunities to gain further skills.Can be stressful and upsetting at times but worth the effort to keep law and order and the country safe.

A rewarding career

Being a police officer is not an easy option. There are many opportunities to help people, however, there are also times of intense stress and difficulty. You need to be robust, physically and mentally to undertake the role, and you can expect it to interfere with your private life as demands of the job mean you cannot just down tools and go home at the end of your shift if there is still work you need to finish.

Pros

A rewarding and entertaining career.

Cons

Paperwork, paperwork and yet more paperwork...

Worst place to work

Poor management, incestuous. Driven by fear and threat. Senior managers are incapable, incompetent, promotion driven. No leadership, junior ranks left to hang and dry

Face must fit

Nepotism and corruption still rife. Face must fit to get any kind of advance in career . Not good to show that you are proactive in any way. Yes ! The Force has been racist throughout my career although this has always been denied when confronted with these issues

Pros

Some decent people

great place to work

As a Police Officer, any internal work is in line with the Official Secrets Act. I cant go into any detail. I CANT GO INTO ANY DETAIl Turn up morning brief all aspects of law professional dead people going home

Pros

great uniform

Challenging and rewarding

Working in here afforded me the opportunity to conduct tasks from safeguarding and investigations to operational management and HR processes. I have been able to exhibit skills in organisation, efficiency, being deadline driven and regularly showing assertiveness, decisiveness and a willingness to take on responsibility.

Jobs at CLEVELAND POLICE

See more jobs

Stressful and mentally challenging.

Very stressful and mentally challenging. Each day is never the same. Dealing with incidents reported into Police, many of which can be harrowing and emotionally upsetting.

A short time in employment

At the time I was employed within this force it provided a poor example of middle management skills. I left during the probationary period due to prejudices presented by certain supervisory officers.

Pros

At basic officer level there was a good team culture.

Cons

Poor management attitudes

Long and varied career

There was never a typical day at work as your day could change hourly. Learned many things from dealing and working with people from different cultures. Learned law ,how to apply it and how to do it using common sense. I was quite lucky in that in the main I had good sergeants and inspectors dealing with daily management and had good senior officers at a higher level. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with other officers and the variety of jobs and the challenging nature of the job. Work life balance was differcult as you rarely finished on time and the paperwork was heavy.

Pros

Enjoyable and exciting work

Cons

Long hours, excessive paperwork

Dreadful organisation

Very poorly run with corruption evident through the higher ranks. Evidence of racism throughout the force. Evidence of preferential treatment for certain staff namely those of a higher rank.

Pros

Secure with encouraging salary

Cons

Corrupt practices. Racist views. Preferential treatment for certain staff.

prodctive work place

I enjoyed working for the Cleveland police and learnt about things that I didn't know I would work for them in the same job again. the staff where friendly and nice to work with

Pros

free luch

Cons

late hours

Demanding & rewarding work

A demanding job which requires good communication skills, commitment, tolerance, honesty, integrity and professionalism. A vocation which gives the opportunity to serve the public & obtain job satisfaction.

Pros

Rewarding work & job satisfaction

Cons

Unsocial hours

Good place to work with excellent colleagues but job security is a serious issue within the force. Very enjoyable job with good benefits Management leaves alot to be desired at times

high pressure multi tasking environment

Responding to emergency calls, assisting public in resolving emergency circumstances, utilise police and Microsoft computer systems, excellent communication skills enabling interactions with individuals in a calm, coherent manner regardless of the audience being addressed. Attitude and behaviour combining to project a professional image. Response policing of a very demanding district involves dealing with diverse community providing both equality of service and quality of service. Self motivated undertaking large amounts of personal study gaining OSPRE exams and Open University Certificate. Meticulous time management skills due to constant time restraints. Personally develop by continually updating of skills relevant to role.

Policing the Cleveland area

The role varies greatly from day to day. The role requires excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. What is considered the hardest part and the most enjoyable part of the role will vary depending on who you speak to - each individual will have different ideas.

Hard Work

Shift patterns are hard, working a mix of both days and nights. Resources were often unavailable in terms of man power. Those still working for the police are doing a sterling job under testing conditions.

Can be hard but rewarding

I currently work within the Prisoner Handling Team department as a Police officer within Cleveland Police. My day to day routine is to interview suspects, process them, and dispose of them via, various different methods including charging them to court, cautions and other forms of restorative justice. I then complete case files for the Crown Prosecution Service for committal at whatever courts they are charged to. I regularly liaise with CPS lawyers and colleagues from various departments. I work with in a team supervised by a Sergeant and regularly assist with complex cases within the team. We are also expected to work independently and make our own decisions on a day to day basis. I also regularly take on the role as Acting Sgt and manage a team with regards the duties and cases of the team. This role is also IT intensive as most of the case files are done electronically. I am competent and efficient with IT and quickly pick up any new program/ technology that become available. The hardest part of the job is working long hours on long protracted complex cases, such as large public order incidents or drugs cases, however when these get charged and convicted at court it is extremely rewarding.

Pros

Stable working environment and regular income and hours

Cons

The police service as a whole is changing and the long term prospects of the job, wages, pension and promotion are no longer viable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CLEVELAND POLICE. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement