Clintons
Happiness score is 42 out of 100

Clintons Employee Reviews

United Kingdom255 reviews

Easy and fun.

Really nice place to work. See lots of different people and lots of temps during peak times of the year. Really nice feel to the place and the customers are no trouble. Very calm and nice atmosphere.

Pros

Hour lunch if there for full day shift

Cons

Career progression is not really there.

Poor management

Awful hours and awful pay. Management didn’t care about majority of staff except from their family. Made to feel like an outcast. Also really slowly paced, sometimes would be stood for hours with nothing to do.

Insights into Clintons

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Energising work tasks

Fun place to work

I enjoyed my 4 years at Clinton’s, my team were really nice and my manager too. Really chilled back whilst doing the work! Staff discount was really helpful.

Pros

Staff discount Flexible shifts

Cons

Salary, Break not long enough, Not enough shifts

Decent job

Decent job for students but nothing amazing pay is minimum and the staff were nice to me but as it is small you can’t really have time off without weeks advance

Good for a part time job but pay is particularly low

staff were really friendly and helped a lot , sometimes it can be fast paced or relaxed just depending what time you’re working, the pay is minimum wage but it’s not a big deal if it’s just a job after college etc. most of the time you’re doing short hours and the managers are really helpful if you need to swap any days around that you can’t do.

Pros

40% staff discounts

Cons

short hours

not the best

you just arent given enough hours and therefore dont earn enough money to live on. pushed to sell charity pens to hit targets and made to feel bad if you dont sell enough. (no customer wants to buy a £2.49 pen when theyre buying one card). all the company care about is money, no feelings towards the staff who are actually making them the money! its an ok job if you are at college/uni, but sometimes i only work 3 hours a day!

Pros

discount

Cons

not enough hours, pay

no management support from divisional manager

No decent breaks. no support from divisional manager. only met my manager once in 4 years. 39 hr contract p/w but work on average 50 as a manager. unpaid. dont work for clintons.

Pros

Cons

as above

Alot of work for very frequent underpaid payslips

Slow paced work, alot of paperwork and organising, never recognised, hard to progress, some colleagues are nice, alot of store maintenance compared to other retail stores

Challenging but fun

Over the last few years the business has changed and is much more people focused. You’re not an employee number but a person who is valued. No two days are the same and everyday brings new challenges to make your store better. Management are supportive and ready to listen. I’ve worked for different companies but this is the first time I’ve been able to say ‘I love my Job’.

Friendly environment

Colleagues were friendly and helpful.Good working environment.Could get busy at Christmas, valentines etc.Always something to do in store as cards were constantly needing to be tidied.

Cons

It wasn’t a good place to work in

They didn’t teach you the right stuff when you got in and weren’t communicating at all and the salary was rubbish, was always underestimated and was always left on tills

Cons

Salary No communication

Best retail job I've ever had

For retail its a nice place to work. Most days are different and theres always things to do. Only down sides I've come across is due to pandemic there is a lack of senior management support. And payrol do make a fair amount of mistakes

Pros

40% discount

Cons

Understaffed Payrol errors

Don’t do it.

Over 10 times my manager looked at me in disgust for not wearing makeup, and 4 times the RM did the same thing. If you aren’t doing anything, expect a formal warning - yes, even if you’re working 8am (which is actually closer to 7:15am, unpaid) until 5pm and want to have a quick 2 minute stand. The store was small, so we ran out of things to do quickly - unless you want to be laughed at and gossiped about to all the other stores in your area - then there’s loads to do! Ridiculous tasks are given, like rearranging the cards, or putting pens in a more “aesthetically pleasing” position - but god forbid you do this without the sign off of every staff member in the store, or again, you’ll get a formal warning. Dress code is illusive, saying “casual” - but don’t turn up in jeans, or comfy loafers, even though you won’t have a chance to sit down all shift. Pay was shocking, my contracted hours were 4 but I was in for at least 28 hours a week, usually closer to 40. They don’t care about medical conditions or hospital appointments - if you’re down on the rota for that day, you have to go in. unless you’re the manager and want an extra day off because you can’t be bothered.

Pros

You get to leave eventually.

Cons

All of the above.

Busy and fast paced

Very fast paced and busy around holiday seasons.Decent working hours and Good training given. .

Just a Seasonal Temporary Job

I was a seasonal temporary Christmas worker at Clinton’s. The interview was one on one with the manager which was straightforward. I was only ever trained to use the tills and was never trained to help out on the shop floor itself with stock or anything like that. Never really felt appreciated for efforts as your expected to hit targets by upselling products at the till point, which can be difficult at times when your shifts are at quieter store times, besides you can not make customers purchase products they really don’t want/need, some customers would hate being asked this. Unfortunately, I didn’t really feel valued as a person, felt more like a statistic in their sales targets. However, I did meet some really lovely customers which were understanding & respectful when trying to sell additional products at the till point. Fortunately, the working hours were good as they were understanding with the distance I had to travel with early morning rush hour traffic.

Pros

Staff discount. Working hours within store trading time. Friendly customers.

Cons

Minimum wage. Sales Targets. Zero hour contract.

Wouldn’t suggest.

The pay was vastly different to what was listed on indeed. Most of the time I found myself bored with no jobs to complete as the store was usually empty. Some members of staff were often unfriendly.

Pros

The employee discount is handy around the holidays

Cons

Awful pay

Manager was poor Didn’t like way I was spoken to

Manager was vey poor and Didn’t like way I was spoken to Also moan about the money wrong way up with the notesDon’t let you have lunch breaks I won’t say this place isn’t nice to work at its all favourite people there half the staff gets way with everything

Pros

Cons

Not enough hours

Decent retail job

Remember that the appraisal is a two-way process and you get out of the process exactly what you put into it. You are more likely to get ahead in your career and feel engaged at work if you think carefully about what you can improve on. You could even make suggestions for how you could go about making these improvements and then act on your own recommendations.

Hated it there.

Management are really bad, don’t do rotas till the week before so you could be there on Friday and still not knowing what you’re working on the Monday. They push you to upsell at the till to reach targets but they don’t do it themselves. think going on the till is below them so they just stand around giving orders to the rest of the staff or go to the back of the store for hours and pretend to be busy so they didn’t have to help us. Had to really fight for them to approve holidays, no time off allowed over holidays (Christmas, valentines, Mother’s Day etc). I cant stress enough how awful this place was to work.

Pros

Staff were nice

Cons

Most of it.

Terrible company

Head office and people above store level are awful, you stay in the job because your instore colleagues are like friends.H&S and procedures are not dealt with correctly. Some stores can be dangerous with old fixtures that fall apart.A lot of pressure with no thanks when you get results but a lot of berating if you struggle.

Pros

Close knit store teams.

Cons

Company is failing.

Not bad

Laid back and easy going. My manager was very a kind woman and the other staff were helpful and friendly. Shop gets very busy at Christmas time but it is manageable.

Pros

Nice environment

Cons

Low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clintons. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Clintons with

• Clintons
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?