Clintons

Clintons Employee Reviews

Uncared for. Yelled at by area manager. Bad pay and expected to work late on Christmas eve. Terrible shift patterns. Honestly just a horrible experience all round
love working here because its the easiest part time work ive done, but i cant see my payslips, am constantly paid incorrectly and HR/payroll do not respond.
Management is a mess. You are made to work lots of daily overtime without pay and no one from head office or area managers care to listen to any problems staff have to deal with. You are constantly understaffed normally running a store with two people, trying to stop constant theft of cards and candles. In my two years working for Clinton’s all managers and other full time staff from other stores in our district all left for better paying jobs and better appreciation from employers for their input. If you want to work in retail full time, Clinton’s is not the place.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Bad pay, company doesn’t care for employees needs
Worked there as a christmas temp and everyone was so friendly. Picked up the till easy and they were always there to help if i need it! Highly recommended clinton’s for anyone’s first job.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
I enjoyed working here as my coworkers were lovely and helpful. It was a great way to socialise and make some money as a teenager. However being under 18 meant that my hourly rate was less than ÂŁ5. I felt like this was too little for the work I had to do.
Pros
Lovely coworkers, easy part time job, usually fun
Cons
Awful pay, slow work day and no management
There is no variety in the work you do at Clinton’s and even worse there’s no enforcement of social distancing rules what so ever. The company sends down occasional surveys and pretends like they care about you but the changes you suggest never affect anything. All your hard work is extremely underpaid and normally they won’t even pay you the correct amount anyway! It’s extremely stressful.
Pros
Very simple job tasks
Cons
Underpaid
Management are not paid for the job role they have to fulfil. Not appreciated by the company. Some processes and how they deal with informing staff of changes is very poor.
Pros
Support from other managers
Cons
Not support from higher up
Worst company I've worked for. Over worked and under paid. They do NOT care about your mental or physical health. They didn't pay into our pensions for months and only started to when they received warnings of hefty fines. No over time pay, but still expected to do it. I worked 50hr weeks whilst only being paid for 39hrs to make sure all tasks were completed as our district manager threatened us with the sack if we didn't complete said tasks. You would do the work, while they take all the credit
Pros
Cons
Honestly, everything!
The company needs to invest in a better head office infrastructure. At times there is very little support when needed in important matters.Feedback about what’s going on your store is largely ignored. Clinton’s needs to re evaluate its strategy in buying. Over priced chocolates and expensive stationary do not sell when there is normally a pound shop, B and M or Savers near almost every store. Yet they insist on pushing these. If you’re lucky you work with a good team, if not you really don’t want to be there.Think carefully before applying.
Pros
Not many
Cons
Too many
Assistant store manager was a bully, not just to me but to young members of staff too, store manager was lovely, but wouldn't do anything about it, made it such a horrible environment to be in
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
Loved working here. It has been everything all in one. There is days where I am tired because yes as a member in management I have to work extra hours to help do stock take or help cover in a neighbouring store. However It has been one of the best experiences. I have learnt how to appropriately lead my team to make sure we hit targets. To also use every aspect of the day to keep the store up to standard even when it is being shopped like crazy because of Christmas. As a top ten store the difficulty and stress of upholding this is evident but it is also a blessing because you get pushed and you learn from those experiences. If I ever have a concern management is always there to help. Overall the experience is a whirlwind of ups and downs and is defiantly not as easy as people think it is to run a card shop however if you can handle that stress and work together with others well you will be fine.
Pros
extra hours if needed and within reason pay is decent discount is great!!!
Cons
Sometimes you have to work more than your contract hours but that is retail for you
the manager is a bully have no respect for staff and how they fell when on duty. The current staff are unhelpful and rude treat staff like a bit of rubbish and so unapproachable to talk to. Even when u talk to area manger nothing gets done about any issues. Head office is a joke no one is willing to help you when you ring them. When I was working I got treated like rubbish everything was my fault when it wasn’t me my fault. It was soo clicky and if your face don’t fit you where made to fell uncomfortably and that you wanted to walk out.
Pros
Cons
Rude staff
I have worked at clintons for a year and a half and it is definitely the best job I've had. There is never nothing to do other than stand by the till if you use your initiative - go and tidy cards, improve displays, wipe areas that need it, check card displays are full and in the right pockets. Work can be quiet when it is not an occasion that people need cards for - Christmas etc, but it is easy to keep yourself busy. any occasion periods are great if you love customer service, you will be kept busy from the start until the end of your shift. I have found that there gets to be a regular clientele at Clintons, which for me is lovely as you are able to talk to the customers and build a good rapport with them, inevitably leading to increased sales. Management in my experience have been amazing, always supported me when I needed help at the start trained me as much as I needed until I felt I could do things alone. Very understanding of other commitments and accepting of holiday requests. Hours are always stuck to other than the busiest periods which understandably they increase at, and more are only given if I request them so it isn't too much. The largest drawback of this job for me is the pay. Absolute minimum wage which has meant family and friends have had to support me at times and have found that I earn the least out of all friends and family I have - if you live alone or have responsibilities then pay is definitely something to consider before applying for a job here. Another is that you will have to stand on your feet all day behind the till which can be painful - more...
Pros
40% Discount, Friendly staff, Helpful management, Busy
Cons
Very low pay, Constant standing, High targets
Worked in Chatham as a store manager and it was the worst job of my life. No support from the RM, no staff had to lone work, massive deliveries with no stock room, no staff area, lots of jobs to be done with no staff, and no home life as you will be working late all the time. Salary was poor for what you have to do.
Cons
It wasn't a horrible job but if you're someone who needs constant jobs like me then it's definitely not for you, i was left at the till most shifts doing nothing with the occasional unpacking job and when i asked i was told to clean the store front which i could get done in about 15 minutes. The days went slow and it wasn't worth it for the pay.
Pros
40% discount
Cons
Slow days / nothing to do
I enjoyed my seasonal job in my store as a member of floor staff, but we were very understaffed due to a very low stage budget meaning we were always kept busy (something I enjoyed). However, I wouldn’t want to be a manager or more senior staff member there as the pay isn’t very good and the workload is very high considering.
I was a seasonal temp working part time. The manager was very fair although some of the supervisors were lazy and left the bulk of hard work to the temp staff.
Pros
Flexible on work days and times.
Cons
Not enough work hours.
Management was a mess. Duties and organisation of shop floor was awful. They don't care about individual qualities they treat you like a dogs body and assume you can do anything and everything. It's brain dead work, tills were ancient, casual chat was fround apon, basically can't talk to management cause they're always "busy". I've had 6 jobs now Clinton's being top tier worst I've ever had and I was only a Christmas Temp.
The people working alongside myself at Clintons were polite and nice to be around, even with seasonal demand. I would recommend people to apply if looking to work around university schedules.
Very Fast paced. management was very nice and welcoming along with the staff that was already working there. the hardest part of the job is the unloading of deliveries. the most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers with there purchase!
Pros
a break
Cons
I have nothing positive to say about this company. Nothing. I hate them so much, in fact, that I'm going to sit here and list every terrible thing I can think of until either I get bored or my fingers go numb. They are so evil that I wouldn't be surprised, quite frankly, if they contacted my old store and tried to find out who I was. - Regional management are bullies. They made me cry, they made five of my coworkers cry (including my manager!!), and look at and talk to you like you're dirt off their shoe. They don't care about you, they care about targets, they care about money. Absolutely horrible people. Cruel. - My manager was in pieces from stress. The amount of weight she lost and the number of times I saw her cry was shocking - more than once she told me she was there so late she told me she was considering sleeping in the stockroom because going home and coming back in would be almost pointless at that point. - In my first week my first manager scolded me in front of a customer and made me cry on the shop floor, then pulled me out the back and yelled at me for......... crying in front of customers. - Yes, we went through four managers in three years. Five if you include the 6-month gap where we didn't have one at all and our deputy manager had to fill the role. - I was also told to leave my chronic health problems 'at the door.' By a member of management. - Management in general getting in fights. There was a bit of a rift between two members of management at the time and they often had screaming matches so loud you could hear them from the shop floor - and this - more...
  1. Employee reviews