Clintons

Supervisor38 reviews
United Kingdom38 reviews

tilllovelychristmascardshopvalentinetargettidy

Busy and fast paced

Very fast paced and busy around holiday seasons.Decent working hours and Good training given. .

no management support from divisional manager

No decent breaks. no support from divisional manager. only met my manager once in 4 years. 39 hr contract p/w but work on average 50 as a manager. unpaid. dont work for clintons.

Pros

Cons

as above

Insights into Clintons

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Energising work tasks

Terrible company

Head office and people above store level are awful, you stay in the job because your instore colleagues are like friends.H&S and procedures are not dealt with correctly. Some stores can be dangerous with old fixtures that fall apart.A lot of pressure with no thanks when you get results but a lot of berating if you struggle.

Pros

Close knit store teams.

Cons

Company is failing.

Awful company

Awful company to work for, management higher than assistant manger speak to you inappropriately, you have to ask customers to buy extra at the till to meet targets and customers hate being asked, then you get in trouble and spoken to inappropriately for not meeting targets, when still on restrictions through covid you wasnt allowed to isolate when been in close contact we was told its personal choice, and if someone in the household had symptoms of covid you wasn't aloud to isolate until results came back. Expected to drop everything to cover a shift on your day off, and alot of lone working not safe due to alot of theft in stores, worst company I have ever worked for no support at all from management. Avoid working here.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Everything about the company

Awful management

Uncared for. Yelled at by area manager. Bad pay and expected to work late on Christmas eve. Terrible shift patterns. Honestly just a horrible experience all round

Enjoy working in the team but not the company

Management are not paid for the job role they have to fulfil. Not appreciated by the company. Some processes and how they deal with informing staff of changes is very poor.

Pros

Support from other managers

Cons

Not support from higher up

Poor management

Assistant store manager was a bully, not just to me but to young members of staff too, store manager was lovely, but wouldn't do anything about it, made it such a horrible environment to be in

Pros

Fast paced

Cons

Encourages you to learn and become your best self

Loved working here. It has been everything all in one. There is days where I am tired because yes as a member in management I have to work extra hours to help do stock take or help cover in a neighbouring store. However It has been one of the best experiences. I have learnt how to appropriately lead my team to make sure we hit targets. To also use every aspect of the day to keep the store up to standard even when it is being shopped like crazy because of Christmas. As a top ten store the difficulty and stress of upholding this is evident but it is also a blessing because you get pushed and you learn from those experiences. If I ever have a concern management is always there to help. Overall the experience is a whirlwind of ups and downs and is defiantly not as easy as people think it is to run a card shop however if you can handle that stress and work together with others well you will be fine.

Pros

extra hours if needed and within reason pay is decent discount is great!!!

Cons

Sometimes you have to work more than your contract hours but that is retail for you

Do not work there avoid at all cost

the manager is a bully have no respect for staff and how they fell when on duty. The current staff are unhelpful and rude treat staff like a bit of rubbish and so unapproachable to talk to. Even when u talk to area manger nothing gets done about any issues. Head office is a joke no one is willing to help you when you ring them. When I was working I got treated like rubbish everything was my fault when it wasn’t me my fault. It was soo clicky and if your face don’t fit you where made to fell uncomfortably and that you wanted to walk out.

Pros

Cons

Rude staff

Awful

I would never work for this company again even if they tripled the money. Awful management and attitude towards staff, very clicky and expect far to much.

Pros

50% Discount

Cons

awful Management, awful money, over worked, underpaid

Stressful, poorly paid, bad management

Paid REALLY badly for a supervisor, only a few pence an hour above the people I was supervising. Supervisors are forced to do all the jobs of a manager without training. Avoid. Stressful environment, poor communication. I was pushed to tears by the shop manager on multiple occasions and in front of customers.

Avoid! Avoid

Unless you want your life to be consumed by poor management and your personal life and business to be everyone else's business due to gossip then do not touch with a barge pole. Never allowed to actually make plans on your days off- god forbid if you do and they ask you to work and you say no! You'll have your job threatened. No managers care about your needs unless it affects them. Poor pay for what your expected to do. As a supervisor your expected to act as store manager for half the wage.

Avoid this disorganized company

Manager of store I worked in was lovely but I have never worked for such a disorganized company, left before my 3 month trial, training not good no time set aside to train you, pay is min wage discount is good.

Cons

Like any other retail role

Not very helpful when you need to change hours or days. Team members are great but management are a whole new level. Being a supervisor I had the majority of the team coming to me asking for authorisation on certain things because they didn't want to ask the manager due to their unfairness.

A good place to work

A great place to work. Obviously with retail it can be challenging but the shop I work in has an excellent team of people and we all work really well together. Manager is respectful as I am to her and is an amazing mentor. Work and home life balance is perfect, salary in line with minimum wage. Only thing is that the company expects the supervisor to have the same skill set as a manager for not much money

Full of regret

In my one month of working there, I could count on one hand the days I actually enjoyed working at Clinton’s. It’s a stressful, disorganised and filthy environment. The lack of communication from management is dumbfounding, their systems are archaic as is the attitude towards customer service. I have never cried on the job until working at Clinton’s and as soon as I started I knew I wanted to leave

Pros

Decent pay but it’s to try and make you stay

Cons

Literally everything else

avoid!

i worked here for less than 6 months. you get a tiny contract and are expected to work full time mostly unpaid. have stupid targets and too much work daily. regularly got left for a full shift completely alone, having to man the till and do not he daily tasks. no toilet breaks or lunch breaks. management at all levels talk down to you treat you like dirt. getting nasty, bullying messages when youre off.please avoid!

All 1 stars relevent

If you can't give your life to Clinton's do not bother! 16hr supervisor position (because they don't want to pay holiday pay) consists of.. Woking alone for at least 2hr per day.(staff cuts) 30hr + per week, no dinner break (you won't have time) At least working 1hr 30 a day unpaid! ( you're paid opening times only. eg.. 9-5.30 not for opening/setting tills up or cashing up). There is no assistant managers at Clinton's therefore you are It,and must have exactly the same knowledge as store manager and run the shop as manager for less pay. You must be able to sell upsells as much as £10 more than the £2 item the customer came in for to even hit the ridiculous apt target set. Say goodbye to Xmas with your family. Fighting a losing battle to stay afloat.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Everything i said

busy and thorough

constantly refilling and replenishing stock, filling card gaps and making sure items don't get stolen by the public so constantly keeping an eye out also, i learned a lot of key skills like leadership, having responsibility being a key holder doing banking and cash handling, the culture is quite strict and particular, the hardest part for me personally was having to do all the heavy lifting as there was quite a lot of females in the store and having to stay on top of what pretty much seemed like everything could tend to get a bit overwhelming, The most enjoyable part for me was being able to get on with fellow colleague and have a laugh and having the odd bit of chit chat with customers at the till hearing some funny stories.

Pros

30% discount on all items

Cons

Dealing with every delivery as a guy can be tiring

Extremely disappointing

I really love retail and interacting with the public but even the customers couldn't make up for the very low pay, disgusting back areas (cobwebs, snail slime and dead flies) very unsupportive management and unfair hours. On a 12 hour contract you are expected to be completely flexible and the hours are always subject to change and not set hours so you literally can't plan anything. The hours are not distributed fairly at all so if you aren't 'flavour of the month' you will be in every weekend or late night. Management support is non existent, very unprofessional and at times rude. As a supervisor you are expected to do everything the manager does but with no thanks, but they are quick to blame you if something goes wrong. Luckily the staff were extremely friendly and made the job bearable whilst something else came along.

Pros

Friendly staff

Cons

Boring at times

please avoid

I've been a supervisor for a few years now, moved up from sales assistant. Only 2% paid more that a sales assistant yet expected to know everything a manager does and run the place when they are unavailable, there are no assistant managers so you are essentially that. On a 16 hour contract yet expected to be able to double your hours, although I have no idea where these hours come from as you are expected to run a shop of large size on very basic hours. Targets are unrealistic, you dread the morning emails and conference calls from the DMs as it's all negative and no positive even when you do well. Work load is huge, you are expected to turn the shop around from everyday to seasonal in just a few days. When I first started discount was a good insentive, 40% off including Yankee and 20% off any sale item, it's now 40% excluding Yankee (20%) and 20% off but only if the sale item is less than 50%. The buyers for the company don't seem to know what they are doing, if you don't sell certain things you some how end up with three times as much in a delivery, but you can't put it in the stock room so it ends up been shoved into the shop floor. Customer service is pretty much none existent, they tell you to have a 2 hour no tasking zone to focus on the customers but this is laughable as you have no much to do you can't stop for 2 hours, you tell the DM your doing it because you'll get a verbal backlassing if not. Breaks for manager and supervisor, may as well not have one, only way to get things done is to sacrifice your lunch hour.

Pros

the staff

Cons

everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clintons. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Clintons with

• Clintons
  • Supervisor
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?