Clintons

Team Member18 reviews
United Kingdom18 reviews

tilllovelychristmascardshopvalentinetargettidy

Wouldn’t suggest.

The pay was vastly different to what was listed on indeed. Most of the time I found myself bored with no jobs to complete as the store was usually empty. Some members of staff were often unfriendly.

Pros

The employee discount is handy around the holidays

Cons

Awful pay

Only productive when it’s a busy time of year, customers can be really rude, colleagues are amazing and super welcoming and friendly

I always feel drained after a shift. Feel like your Human needs go out the window. I’m on a four hour contract but was asked to do 26.5 hours one week because of lack of staff.

Pros

You do make good friends

Insights into Clintons

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Energising work tasks

Fun and easy going work place

Clinton’s was the perfect first job, it gives you experience within the customer service industry without being overly stressful. The company itself gives you targets to meet but doesn’t apply too much pressure to meet these targets. Shifts were planned out around your schedule/personal life which was nice.

Pros

Choose your own break times

Cons

Minimum pay

If I could rate it 0 stars, I would.

There's too much to unpick. Never was appreciated at work, never felt happy there for a single moment. Management were extremely patronising and made you feel that you were doing terrible all the time. Even at the end of the shift, we would receive complaints of not hitting target sales. I would sometimes be standing by the till for hours on end whilst the management would hide up in their office. Overjoyed that I finally left.

Pros

Hours were okay.

Cons

Management, everything else.

Awful pay but decent job

I enjoyed working here as my coworkers were lovely and helpful. It was a great way to socialise and make some money as a teenager. However being under 18 meant that my hourly rate was less than £5. I felt like this was too little for the work I had to do.

Pros

Lovely coworkers, easy part time job, usually fun

Cons

Awful pay, slow work day and no management

Dull and underpaid

There is no variety in the work you do at Clinton’s and even worse there’s no enforcement of social distancing rules what so ever. The company sends down occasional surveys and pretends like they care about you but the changes you suggest never affect anything. All your hard work is extremely underpaid and normally they won’t even pay you the correct amount anyway! It’s extremely stressful.

Pros

Very simple job tasks

Cons

Underpaid

Great job, low pay

I have worked at clintons for a year and a half and it is definitely the best job I've had. There is never nothing to do other than stand by the till if you use your initiative - go and tidy cards, improve displays, wipe areas that need it, check card displays are full and in the right pockets. Work can be quiet when it is not an occasion that people need cards for - Christmas etc, but it is easy to keep yourself busy. any occasion periods are great if you love customer service, you will be kept busy from the start until the end of your shift. I have found that there gets to be a regular clientele at Clintons, which for me is lovely as you are able to talk to the customers and build a good rapport with them, inevitably leading to increased sales. Management in my experience have been amazing, always supported me when I needed help at the start trained me as much as I needed until I felt I could do things alone. Very understanding of other commitments and accepting of holiday requests. Hours are always stuck to other than the busiest periods which understandably they increase at, and more are only given if I request them so it isn't too much. The largest drawback of this job for me is the pay. Absolute minimum wage which has meant family and friends have had to support me at times and have found that I earn the least out of all friends and family I have - if you live alone or have responsibilities then pay is definitely something to consider before applying for a job here. Another is that you will have to stand on your feet all day behind the till which can be painful -

Pros

40% Discount, Friendly staff, Helpful management, Busy

Cons

Very low pay, Constant standing, High targets

Productive workplace

I was a seasonal temp working part time. The manager was very fair although some of the supervisors were lazy and left the bulk of hard work to the temp staff.

Pros

Flexible on work days and times.

Cons

Not enough work hours.

Worst Experience Ever.

Would not work here, unorganised half of the staff don’t know what they are doing, made you feel so small if you made any mistakes. Management was horrible, so many times I felt so anxious before my shifts, that’s when you know it’s a horrible work environment

Slow paced.

It was a great place to work. Got 40% discount but it was very slow paced due to how expensive the shop can be. Lovely people though very welcoming. Great as a first job.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Slow paced

Do not work for this company

The management is extremely poor, sloppy and disorganised. Team members do not get told any information and are not looked after, we are left to discover everything ourselves and are constantly left in the dark. Over Christmas I was only paid a fraction of my paycheck, I was told I was to receive the rest at the end of January as 'seasonal temps were only paid up the 7th of December' (I was not told this at any point, nor did it state this in my contract). End of January has been and gone yet I have not received the correct amount owed. They have withheld my wages for over two months now. When I had my interview I was promised at least 25 hours per week. This was a lie as I'm stuck on 4 hrs a week. The interview was extremely short and I was offered the job there and then which I found was strange. It is disgraceful how this company treats their employees. We don't have access to our payslips. We don't get paid the correct amount. We don't get paid on time. We have no access to payroll (everytime I ring there is no answer). |Management either don't seem to be bothered about sorting things out for us or they don't have a clue what to do. Regardless of all this, the company still expect us to reach unrealistic targets and penalise us if the don't reach them. Just don't work here.

Do Not Work Here!

I worked her for a while and although the start of my time here was good, when the old manager left, their responsibilities were handed to the supervisor with no extra pay. in order for the supervisor to get all of her work done she often had a shortened lunch break or sometimes none at all. When she finally got help, the new boss was harsh and critical and used humiliating techniques in order to improve sales. You are expected to meet a target for CTP's (Little extra's you offer at the till) and if you didn't you would be threatened with dismissal. I was threatened with not being given time off (That I had booked one month in advance) if i didn't meet CTP targets. The boss caused alot of mental distress within the shop staff and it is not worth the money that you are being given.

Friendly workplace

Coworkers are very supportive and I have gained a lot of new skills as well as improved my confidence. Most of the time the shifts for team members are short and are only around 4 hours which I think is a benefit especially for college and uni students but management are often able to give over time if wanted and are are very considerate of peoples schedules.

Pros

40% discount

Cons

low pay for under 18s in comparison to other retailers

Average small earner for students

My experience has been fairly positive, there have been small changes to the role. At first I thought I would be able to do almost full time hours as well as extra stock work. The role is fairly simple and not too exciting, however you will learn people skills and focus on self management depending on the store. The most enjoyable part is being able to help people and find what they need. I find the workplace culture to be slightly stressful around christmas time and depending who is managing it, I recommend looking for small stores as they are friendlier and have more things can to get done in regards to tidying and stock. Working in Cities is stressful with customer service. All managers are friendly, but I have felt pressured in certain scenarios or bossed around even when I have tried my best. In regards to Rota's you always need to triple check being in a larger store, there have been a few times where authorisation hasn't been clear.

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Very short hours and not well paid

Lovely shop to work in

Lots to learn about different products. Able to make relations with regular customers. Best part was helping a customer find what they were looking for. Could be cold in store.

Excellent job while at uni

A typical day involves working on the till selling products and add on's. Not a lot of variation involved in the job (worked in a quiet store). Working on selling add on purchases. I learned how to engage well with customers and how to help them when in store. Learned how to manage stock and points of sale. Worked in the store one on one with the manager this creates a happy workplace culture. The hardest part of the job was finding very specific request of items from customers and searching the stock room, however the job is easy and enjoyable.

Pros

Relatively easy work

Cons

Short hours (4 hour shifts)

Decent.

The job itself was good, however there was problems within management and payroll, where my wages were not always right.

Pros

Good Job.

Cons

No secure payments.

Was a great place to work

Clintons was a lovely company to work for. The manager always managed to get me time off I would have needed to do important things with my family. There were a lot of regular customers so felt like every day I was going to meet my friends for a chat. Time went slow though when the shop was quiete.

Pros

40% off almost all full price items 20% off sale

Cons

Sometimes didnt have much to do around till area

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clintons. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Clintons with

• Clintons
  • Team Member
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?