Co-op Group

Co-op Group Employee Reviews

Found 3,539 reviews matching the search
Featured review
Co-op Group selected this as a representative review
To begin with, I must admit, I kind of fell into my role at the Co-op: a community based job that involves working with local charities and causes. However, it was the best decision I've ever made! The salary and benefits are great and everyone is so helpful and friendly! This job has allowed me to thrive and my team have helped me realise my potential. I would definitely recommend working at the Co-op!! My role allows me to do what I love, which is working with charities to make a difference in my area, and makes me feel very accomplished.
Official response from Co-op Group
29 July 2020
Great to hear :) Member Pioneers are doing great things at the Co-op so you've joined a fab team. Best of luck in your role.
Coop got no system to performance base carrier progress system. Your hard work one day going to be zero value. There are no team developments for carrier progress.
Pros
Just a job to survival
Cons
No progress to anybody
It was a GD job to start off with but then they just want u to do more hours than they expect u to do some of the team is ok and done if the team not
First I would like to say this is a wonderful industry, I have never worked with so many people that truly care for other people and it is a job we are privileged to be involved with. To take care of peoples loved ones and help them through their loss.However the coop time and time again fails you and the family’s. Understaffed stretched to breaking. It’s never enough after the first pandemic wave for all our efforts and care mass cuts were made London waiting adjustments were to be phased out £000 in many cases. I was lucky not to lose London weighting but I would lose £7,000 annually as my role was to be changed to a new title doing the same work !?!All this at a time when management made a large donation to a local hospice for £50,000. for a special understanding/relationship.
I was first put into a bad store where the area was full of drug dealers and the store was being hit once every few months, I was sadly working when armed men came in and robbed the store, worst experience of my life but at least some of the people I worked with were nice. The second store was actually pretty great as it was just opened there were no shoplifters but we did have to work very hard and we were low on stuff which then we were pushed to work extra hard.The third and last location (last time working in retail) was nice at first but soon became depressed as the people who worked there were all way older then me (i was 20 at the time) and only 1 spoke good English the rest spoke in their own language and after half a year of that plus the store getting robbed ( yes even there) I was done with it I ended up having a mental breakdown and getting therapy. I'm sure all people who work in retail know the feeling of being pressured to work extra hours ecen being called when i had my days off and when i declined they made me feel bad and also having to deal with shoplifters and really mean people. Do stay away from market retails if you can they are awful
Pros
You get a little discount when using the co op card
Cons
Long hours, awfull stuff, crime
I really loved my job but after 3 months sick leave with severe Mental Health and PTSD i felt i had no choice but to hand in my notice. I must stress my manager was amazing but sick notes from my doctor, seeing a councellor and a report in my favour from occupational health wasn't enough. They still wanted to do a probation review after all the aforementioned and make me repeat yet again why i was ill. The Co ops charity is Mind but they havent got a clue about how to treat people with mental health. I was told they allow you 15 days sick per year. How can you put a cap on illness? Incidentally my pay was always wrong and i even had money deducted for overtime i didn't work, nor paid for.
Pros
Reasonable salary
Cons
Split shifts/unfair sickness policy
Store level staff are lovely. But as a company it is a terrible place to work I would not recommend it. Your wages were often wrong. You were penalised if you were claiming benefits and were only allowed to earn a certain amount each month. Example is all staff given 100 pound for work at the start of the pandemic. If you could not have it because of your benefit you were given a fifth of you weekly hours as holiday. Which in my case was around 2 1/2 hours. Very unfair. A bad company to work for
Pros
Store level staff
Cons
Terrible company treat you really bad
The only explanation i can find for how consistently poor my managers were at the Co Op is that they were employed on the influence of Make A Wish Foundation. I wouldn’t trust my last Store Manager to run me a bath let alone a store.... seriously awful company that consistently broke Covid guidelines in order of making a few quid. Word of advice to anybody thinking of applying, DON’T! You are better than that. I wouldn’t wish working for that cancerous company on my very worst enemy!
Pros
Absolutely none
Cons
Long hours and no thanks bar from the In store staff. I only left due to no progression as the poach management from sainsburys which I don't find very fair when they have people within the company that wants to progress.
If you do something wrong your treat like a child all empty promises no moral on shop floor everyone backstabbing each other including lower management talk about companies process but dont adhere to all
Pros
Cons
Management expects to much for little thanks
Worked here for 7 months. First month was great. Really motivated. Then realised how bad management is. They put a lot of pressure on you. They use up your holidays without telling you. They ask you to work ridiculous hours. You get treated like children and nothing is confidential. A colleague once took time off for personal reasons and the management were heard gossiping about it in the break room.
Pros
Some nice staff
Cons
Long hours, rude customers, bad management
I worked in the funeral sector of co-op, and for little more than minimum wage I was dealing with grieving families, decomposing corpses and funeral arrangements. I had little to no training and was left in a branch on my own for months, having to guess what to do with very little help. Grieving families need careful care, and I was not trained on how to do this.
Pros
Good working hours
Cons
Low pay, little training, stressful environment
This company treats staff like dirt. HR department does not care about anyone other than managers and higher-ups. Do not associate yourself with this company, no matter what site you work at, it will be a bad experience. Especially if you have any type of mental health issue, you will be scoffed at, laughed at and ridiculed. HR will not help you. Work here if you want to feel tiny. Shame on you Co-op.
Pros
Cons
Above
This company treats staff like dirt. HR department does not care about anyone other than managers and higher-ups. Do not associate yourself with this company, no matter what site you work at, it will be a bad experience. Especially if you have any type of mental health issue, you will be scoffed at, laughed at and ridiculed. HR will not help you. Shame on you Co-op.
Pros
Cons
Above
You will be left to sort out entire deliveries by yourself putting your body under ridiculous strain.Worked hours seem to “disappear “ so payment is always incorrect .Manager will book your holidays without your knowledge or approval .Back-stabbing work environment .Favouritism over performance .Rota constantly changing, you can’t make any plans.
Cons
Sense of pride working for the coop as a driver bearer but restructure not long after started made my role redundant. Decided to take on a driving role in another field.
While working at the co op it felt like gaining a work family. The atmosphere in store was all about the customer experience and how we could improve it .
Pros
Great management
Cons
Really busy place. Not any time to get to know your work colleagues. Some members of staff were really support in developing skills others were not.Definitely not a fair rota. Very little chance to do any additional hours. Very strict environment. Definitely a hierarchy in place. Good place to work if you need to be directed what to do and when.
Pros
Set hours.
Cons
Very selfish in sharing out holiday dates.
I have worked for coop for almost a year and I have been sacked few months ago for the most stupid reason. No one mentioned that I might me fired, they just did it. I worked overtime every week, couldn’t ask for any days off. I loved working there, but no one appreciated my hard work and commitment to the company.
Pros
Coop card
Cons
Managers are the worst, unsupportive and disrespectful.
I was new to retail, excited and ready to learn. I came in as a team leader, I loved the role, thoroughly enjoyed being busy all the time and getting to know the customers and thrived of learning new skills. However the only training received was 6 hrs staring at a computer screen on my first day, I then did two 5 hour shifts on the tills before being thrown in to the team leader role, no support from the then manager, had to learn using the in-store Google system and when it wasn't done right I would get pulled up about it. Team leaders rarely get a break at this store if they lucky, 5 mins to throw a cuppa down their neck. I did this for just over a year and I was then "encouraged" to move to a Ctm to learn the business. I'm still a Ctm and I haven't learned anything new about the business. I'm bored as I'm just not busy enough and I'm not learning any more, I'm just a glorified till bunny. Wanting more hours as I've taken a pay cut due to the change in role but can't get them, yet they are taking in new staff. Dispite my complaints I actually love working for the co op, the team are lovely.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No useful training or support for new starters
The company dose not care if you work hard for them you just get put down all the time Coop Cranbrook is run really badly happy i find other employment in time
Pros
Manager's
Cons
Colleagues
  1. Employee reviews