Co-op Group

Co-op Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom4,119 reviews

Found 4,119 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,209 reviews
tillcolleaguecooperativeshopshelfstockwhilstrota

Super company to work for, best decision I've made!

Featured review

Co-op Group selected this as a representative review
To begin with, I must admit, I kind of fell into my role at the Co-op: a community based job that involves working with local charities and causes. However, it was the best decision I've ever made! The salary and benefits are great and everyone is so helpful and friendly! This job has allowed me to thrive and my team have helped me realise my potential. I would definitely recommend working at the Co-op!! My role allows me to do what I love, which is working with charities to make a difference in my area, and makes me feel very accomplished.

Official response from Co-op Group

29 July 2020
Great to hear :) Member Pioneers are doing great things at the Co-op so you've joined a fab team. Best of luck in your role.

Fun and productive

Best retail job I have worked at, the fast-paced and friendly co-workers. Manager is quick to promote people to team leaders if she deems them to be responsible enough

Insights into Co-op Group

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energising work tasks

Truck driver

I enjoy my job at the coop. Great work life balance with good start times and finish times. Great bunch of drivers who I get on well with. Your delivering to 3-4 stores a day usually and your issued with a risk assessment for the stores so you know where your going. Only real issue is a lot of single rest days in your rota.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Poor rota. Too many single rest days. Makes it impossible to pick up overtime shift.

Not worth the wage

Company has a good front facing PR image, community focused, fair trade etc. but doesn't appreciate staff on the front lines.There are always dictats coming down from on high to help improve customer experience and increase sales but these seem to be thought up by people who've never worked on the shop floor, or it's been so long that they're now living in 'la-'la land'.In short, there is not enough time to complete the daily processes expected, while also working to get a delivery onto the shop floor. The hours will be cut if you don't meet your projections for the week which has a knock on effect on the following week. This can quickly spiral into problems and staff feeling like they're always playing catch up.Management will happily use you to work silly hours when they need to, then cut them back to contract when they don't. Nobody gets a proper full-time contract as it suits the company to have a pool of staff to call on. Better suited to students etc. Proper training and progression is pretty much non-existant. If you want to learn, you will have to push for it yourself and even then you are left feeling unprepared. I've known team leaders in the role who've worked for over a year without having any formal training/sign off to say they've been trained. It's demotivating and unfair to treat staff like this but you will be told by managers that there's just 'no time' for training and so you are thrown in the deep end and expected to get on with it.

Pros

20% discount on own brand products

Cons

Low pay for the responsibility and hard work

Skeleton staff

Always understaffed whilst working in a fast paced and labourous environment. Be prepared to handle lot's of heavy delivery, completing tasks with strict deadlines, dealing with shoplifting, working unsociable hours and toxic Management.

Fair salary

Frendly enviromentHelpfull managementNot easily achievable performanceGood sick pay and pension schemeCompliance with safety rulesOvertime opportunities

Terrible company

Co-op is a terrible company who offer no loyalty,. They do not look after their staff, they are always Penny pinching, expecting more and more from staff. It sometimes seems bad behaviour from managers are rewarded with another job role rather than being disciplined. Managers look after their mates. The interview process is irrelevant…. It’s all about your availability. If you are available to work any shift and day then you’ll be employed…. Regardless of your attributes and suitability for the role.

Productive a fun place to work

I Work at the Biggleswade depot, and can honestly say it's a great place to work, just expect to do what you applied to do and you will enjoy. Don't have a sense of entitlement. Embrace change. No two days are always the same. Work time just flies past, we have a great restaurant and yes you will have Labor management on how much your picking etc and be constantly assessed but that's life and work. It's sometimes hard work and tiring but it's a a state of the art NEW distribution center and will always be room to chance. You just need to speak up.

Franchise groups of the Co-op

Franchise groups of the co-op are not good to work for 0-hour contracts. The hardest part of the job is the customer's complaints can cause staff problems.I had 4 different managers in 7 months. Employment laws are not good. Very hard packing bags for 5 hours standing.No Training no uniform no staff handbook No training.

Work

It’s a job. It’s easy. The management could be a bit rough around the edges but other than that it was okay. Perfect if you want some extra money around Christmas etc.

Not the best place to work

Poor management not listened too.. heavy lifting .. massive deliveries .. one on one shifts .. constant jobs needing doing. Never get breaks .. stressful

Okay

My first 4 years was a good work place to be in but sadly good thinks have to come to an end when new management came in it just turned the whole store to a nightmare which made a handful of colleagues to leave including myself.

Management poor

Open ALL hours! Wouldn’t close when other shops would! Staff friendly enough, just seniors are the problem! No support when it came to angry customers or shop lifters, basically told to get on with it!

Basic hours

No good if your depending on overtime. Pay just above minimum wage. Good for learning different aspects of retail holidays are also good. Get a discount card

It's okay

If you're looking for a mindless job that you will often be treated like rubbish by customers feel free to join. The work life balance isn't too great unless you get set shifts. The stores are severely understaffed which triples the work load. There are some positives for example great benefits and the friendship you make within the store. The tasks are usually easy just phisicaly demanding.

I wouldn't recommend working here for more than 3 months if that.

The Co Op group speaks a lot about ethics yet doesn't follow up. Constantly on till and being rushed to do other things in the store while serving customers. Onto of this you are told to hurry up but how can you when customers are slow or are busy transferring money to their accounts?. You prioritise the customers fair enough but do not expect to rush people when they are serving customers to do other areas. The company is always understaffed and I can see why when people are treated like this. Shop lifters swarm the place we know who they are and they still come in looking to steal products however we don't ban them and management complains about the loss of money? Either the company or management needs to learn they need more staff to watch out for shop lifters, to not rush staff because that is where they make mistakes and for management to ban the people who shop lift constantly that way you have less likely hood of losing money. Overall do not stay with this company for the rest of your life because it ain't worth it.

Pros

Discounts Management are accurate with break times

Cons

Constant complaining about shop lifters no staff tasks are rushed

Poor management

Unless you know family in there they treat you like rubbish. The duty manager was horrible to everyone younger than her. Unless security was in store never felt safe and management didn't care.

Can be tough depending on store location and very little support offered

Most co-op’s are targeted by shoplifters and night raids so always be weary of that before deciding to work in one. Higher levels of management do very little to support each individual store and their needs and will often think for themselves rather than what’s best for the shop.

Pros

Decent people, holidays

Cons

Lack of support, night incidents, not the most safest place to work in terms of retail

They don't care about you.

The co op don't care at all about their staff. Shifts are constantly changing and you're constantly under pressure to be available all hours that the store it open. They don't give a rat's backside about your personal or family life and will abandon you regardless of how long you've worked for them.

Loved it

Didn’t want to leave but got a great opportunity elsewhere with more hours. It’s hard work but fun. Opportunity to learn bakery and taking pride in the shop floor were highlights

No life

Always working getting phone calls. No work life balance. 3 weeks rotas which are often changed at short notice. No job satisfaction and constant tiredness from hours in store being cut

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Co-op Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Co-op Group with

Learn about Co-op Group in popular locations

• Co-op Group
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?