Coffee#1

Coffee#1 Employee Reviews

A busy, rewarding job with good opportunities to learn the skill of coffee making, including a mandatory barista course. Management is good in terms of finances - everything is on the books and official - but there is a certain level of unpredictability in day-to-day treatment of issues towards staff. I joined as one of many young baristas, and quickly found the store manager of my branch to be extremely inappropriate towards myself and others, and we made steps to remove him. In this process I encountered a huge amount of corruption in the management of the chain, eventually leading to his friendly coworkers protecting him, and allowing him to move companies into a position where he can repeat that same inappropriate behaviour. He was then replaced by a close friend of his, who has begun the same behaviour. My advice to anyone considering this role is know your rights. Do not do more than your contract demands of you without also asking for the appropriate pay level. Be wary of their "family environment" ethos - you are an employee and you don't have to take any disrespect in fear of upsetting the "team loyalty". And finally, if you end up working there, call out any corrupt management you see from day 1, and don't be afraid to go over heads.
Pros
Reliable hours, opportunity for progression, good training, straightforward tasks
Cons
Low pay
When I first joined coffee#1 I was very excited and passionate person and upbeat attitude, but I found as time went by that I was not valued as a team member not any of these manager's were greatful there are just very rude and don't stick up for staff when needed was never told when things changed in the way you do them so massive lack of communication. A lot of two faced people & backstabbing which is not appropriate in work place and being treated like rubbish lowers confidence. Did not feel.i could go to management as they didn't seem to care just wanted someone to blame. Plus company seems very unfair even though some men are managers seems to be a theme unless your a woman you won't progress or if your face doesn't fit and have your own mind then you won't progress so my experience at working at coffee#1 was not good and staff members are not trust worthy either
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Bad working environment
Such a fun workspace but can take time to get used to. They provide a lot of training and help when needed. Management can take long to get back to u but otherwise good.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Can be stressful
Great company with great ambition to grow. Although a large company you still have the empowerment to make things more personal. The teams are great to work with, everyone very friendly and helpful.
Pros
At present free drinks and food
The higher management have little respect for the store level staff, the shifts are long and tiring. They have an extremely high barista turn over, and seemingly little interest in talking to the baristas to understand why this might be. The rate of pay is hardly above minimum wage for a role which you are on your feet all day, and pushed to excel in customer service and cleanliness standards by higher management, who seem to have forgotten what it's like to work a 40 hr week on your feet, in a fast paced and ever changing environment.
The company was great to work for in the beginning. The job was fast paced, particular and collaborative and I loved it. The past few years has been different.
Pros
Lovely coffee
Cons
High staff turnover, dirty, slow.
I love working there I had lots of fun working there they really did let me get to the place that I am now like my patience has been improving because I have been talking to may different people
If you like working long hours, no days off, no benefits, poorly equipped shops and uncomfortable environment, go for it. Poor management, you have to pay for your coffee, long hours, no benefits only 30 minutes break in a 9 hour day. The company have no regard for the welfare of its people. Everyone is disposable, in the store I worked at they lost 5 people in 2 months me included. Cleanliness isn't great either. I bought my food elsewhere. The only positive is that your colleagues are in the same boat as you. If you have any regard for your self keep looking.
so as I said it happened, management at store level was always fantastic but as the company moved into the more corporate elite, head office lost touch with the store.
If you enjoy being over worked, under appriciated and spoken too like a child from the area manager then this is the place for you! Tried helping my baristas but several times they were not paid right and upper management would speak lowly of them. Never given proper training and was expected to work all the hours possible. If you suffer from allergies don't eat here. Id always ask about the best before date aswel if you know what I'm saying.
Its a standard coffee shop job, work hard, interact with customers, thats basically it. Aslong as you have a good team and aren't short staffed the days are fun and enjoyable.
I loved going to work everyday thanks to the good rellationship managers and co-workers had. .......................................................
The company itself is actually fantastic with brilliant training and a great team. When things run well, it's a wonderful job to have. Unfortunately my experience was ruined by awful upper management that let the store run itself into the ground despite multiple staff trying to get the problems sorted. It took 7 weeks to get a pay error fixed which is unacceptable. Fast paced job with very early starts and long shifts but flexibility was an option as long as they had enough staff, which isn't lways the case.
I consider this a very good place to work and I would highly recommend anyone to work here. They are a good company to work for and they give you the security you need to know there is a stable job behind your life
Good company to begin with no opportunities for part time staff. Management are useless and area managers turned a blind eye to bullying from other staff members and customers
I would not recommend working here if you want a stress free work life and an actual social life. You are always expected to work extra and stay later when the managers will leave early the first chance they get. The managers do not care about anything apart from their life. They do not take your culture/beliefs or religion seriously. They never book your holidays in time and you are always left to the last minute. You will get disciplinary meetings over the littlest of things when managers are left off with nothing more then a talking to. The only benefit to this job is the 70% discount. The job can very easily make you depressed because you are never thanked for anything you do. You spend most of your week in work. So don’t waste it as Coffee#1.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long hours, unappreciated, 30 min breaks even when working 12 hours, rubbish management
Travel across the country for " training " Management are beyond awful if you dont like it you " know where the door is" if you dont understand something you get told " it's not rocket science " and also get disciplinary for following shift-leaders orders. If you request time off dont expect to get it because the manager is away 9times out of 10 and calls in sick very frequently but if you are sick you get yelled at for ruining the shift
Pros
Cons
Ha.
Poor management,lack of support, management inadequately trained, forced to do overtime,rotas not done frequently
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long hours, long solo hours, inadequate training, hours not payed properly
Absolutely one of the best teams I've ever worked with. My manager is understanding, listens to what we have to say and deals with things accordingly.
Pros
70% discount on food
Cons
On your feet for 8+ hours with only 30 minute break
As a previous employee of coffee#1. The ethos of making as much money at the cost to the public is their main driver. The company do not care about customer service or their people. You are just a number to them and it will get worse as the company which is now owned by cafe Nero try to compete with the Costas and Starbucks of the world. The business model is run on a skeletal crew which means that customer service and standards take a massive hit. The management do not care until a bad review appears on trip advisor. I have no angst against this company but the way it is run is shocking. For a small business they were lucky to be taken over by cafe Nero who is renown for throwing away fresh food when it could be donated to the homeless.
Pros
Good staff discount
Cons
Long hours. Poor pay. No managerial help
Initially, Coffee#1 seemed like an interesting and engaging prospect for a job, and I always wanted to try my hand at coffee. The interview was very nice and I enjoyed the group aspect of it all, but once training began it kind of went downhill from there. I experienced a lot of hostility from other staff members of the store, and I was being asked to do several jobs at once, even when there were other members of staff standing around and available to do it. My manager was very hot and cold towards me, one minute being nice and then another telling me off for not having initiative despite the fact I'd just been doing tasks of my own accord and without a reminder. I feel that my mental health and disability were not taken seriously as a member of the team, and very often they put so much pressure on me and didn't give me the extra time I needed to understand and learn the job. I felt constantly on edge during my time there and I often felt so upset with how I was treated that I wanted to cry on many occasions. They didn't even allow me my pre-booked holiday and I had to work two of the days I'd already booked off (it was even cleared by them), which is completely illegal. I had an upcoming holiday that I offered to take unpaid time off for, but then they said that was illegal (when it isn't). I am beyond done with this company and I am so disappointed in the lack of respect they have for new people who just want some honest work. To anyone wanting to work here, I seriously wouldn't waste your time. Find somewhere else that'll treat you better.
Pros
You get a free drink sometimes.
Cons
Won't let you take holiday, make you work on pre-booked holiday, unfriendly staff, poor management, lack of general respect for staff, not mental health or disability friendly.
  1. Employee reviews