COLAS

COLAS Employee Reviews

Worked here for ten years or more. bent over backward to help out with non stop call outs and paid poorly for it. First Manager was great but the following was just a power drunk fool. Promotion was by who you knew not by your skills and what you knew. Just another Company giving bull to the main contractor and covering for not meeting their duty. It could be a good place to work but you have to be one of the chosen few and willing to lick, you know. Being old school I expect the management to know what they are doing. Cross them and you are history.
Let's some 1 be come formen with in a matter of months it's a joke and men been working there for years and the formen was a joke because he didn't even no what to do
Pros
Non
Cons
Non
These lads aint got a clue, treat you like fools, penny pinching, in fighting, dodgy tools machines, managers are power drunk cowboys drunk drunk and d
Pros
Going home
Cons
Horrible work environment
I worked here for nearly 4 years it was very family friendly small company feel in terms of how staff and management interacted with each other would thoroughly recommend working here
Pros
Family oriented
Cons
I work in the office to cover maternity leave, which was great fun, every one got on so well. I was left to get on with it most of the time, and the work was easy to do. When the office work finished I went out as a street cleaner, I was on a few different routes and work with a lot of different people, the route were very good all planed so well, I like working the sea front the best, and the line managers were great. I learnt how much rubbish was left on Portsmouth street some thing I had not noticed in the past. The hardest part of the job was when I got told I was going to be redundant, I did continue the sea front for another season, but was not asked back after that.
I think they need more push instead of relaxed attitude more overtime regularly and The reason I left more hours and more money I think it could be improved a lot
i hated working there. and was glad to leave, i'm sure this was actually just more to to with me than colas as i had had enough of job type by then , so mabe not as bad as i thought they were
I was very disappointed with the way the company operates. I think I found out if the face does not fit you are out. I felt management were very poor especially my line manager They had no people skills I felt i felt my ability was questioned and slot was put on me to pick up and learn. I did start to settle in but felt I was being bullied by my line manager and there were a lot whispers going around and I did not feel I was treated in the same manner as the other team member.
You can work like a horse and/or allow yourself to effectively become worked into the ground... You can easily find yourself becoming enslaved. No job profiling, no training needs analysis, no appraisal process... It's incoherent and unsatisfactory.
The work is not rocket science and can be easily achieved. You are pretty much left up to your own devices which is fine but the downside is that the shirkers are never sorted out Like with any Company, there are issues, overall though, I think it is a great place to work!
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at COLAS?
Great place to work, supportive, and want to see their employees grow and learn to progress in the company. Full training programmes and management who believe in their employees
Company is a disgrace, management is poor, living conditions aren’t fit for a dog. Over worked, never payed right always taking entitlements off the crews
I’ve done job for this company 2 years ago and I meet very good and professionals people’s in that job. Personal I recommend this company and I’m very proud for everything that I have learned during that job.
Very nice staff, all round good experience. I would recommend this role to anyone who enjoys travelling as this job, you will never normally be in the same place the following month as the staff were eager to inform me.
very friendly helpful people, great offices, great communication
Pros
great place to work
Cons
Promise you a good job then shaft you IE only pay 8 hrs when you work 10 ? Don’t pay you your overtime at 1.1/3 just flat money days and nights in same week over 7 days and transport supervisor is a joke
Pros
Cons
Colas
at colas it wasnt very good myself and another young man started together as appritships and we wernt shown what to do at all often just left stood their doing nothing no on wanted to teach us.
Pros
good pay.
Cons
working away alot.
my typical day involved cleaning the streets. wasnt fun and was extrememly dirty. the publics perception of me due to the job in which i was doing was the hardest part to get over. the management where pretty good although a couple of members of staff where biased in specific ways due to family relations or friendships and was frustrating for everyone else.
Pros
Picked up for work
Cons
Long hours, public perception of the job, the job itself
A good place to work in general, relaxed atmosphere as long as the work gets done not too much pressure. A mixture of work some better than others, but generally a friendly place to work with friendly Management.
Pros
relaxed
Cons
long way from me
generally a good company, would still work there but looking to balance my home life out more. going through cut backs but still managing to keep the guys on which is good.
Cons
12 days on 2 off one of which is a travel day back away
They are not loyal to employees that have worked there for many years, they like to find ways to push people out then change the job role and readvertise, Cornwall quarries is very much who fits in and family orientated managers like to hire their family members in the business. Managers delegate work all the time whilst doing nothing, poorly run place.
  1. Employee reviews