COLCHESTER INSTITUTE

COLCHESTER INSTITUTE Employee Reviews

No two days are the same. The people you work alongside are really interesting and always willing to help when needed. It's a happy place to work and there's always the opportunity and encouragement for progression. They were extremely understanding and supportive when I needed time off for a back injury; then genuinely considerate and helpful when I was ready to return. The work can be challenging, but always rewarding.
May just have been bad luck that direct manager was lazy, and passed some of his roles to me, when I spoke about struggling with extra hours/work life balance I was told on two occasions that it’s part of the job. When I handed in my notice the area manager offered me a two thousand pound raise as I was doing more than I should. I still left, due to my poor direct manager. The only 121 I had in 6 months was while at a urinal in the toilet. Training good at Institute, difficult to manage students who don’t really want to be there. No clear rules of mobile phone use in lectures by students, I personally found little support for a new teacher, which could have easily been addressed by proper 121s.A focus on passing students to release further funding rather than on merit, and achieving results through hard work and effort.
Pros
Close to local town
Cons
i have learnt a lot at Colchester Institute and they have giving me great help with my carpentry and joinery course. A very clean and secure place to be at.
Many colleagues were really friendly and supportive, but sadly the College struggled to support some of the more challenging and vulnerable students. Regularly felt overwhelmed working with some students, limited support available from management
I have been working there for 7 years now and I feel you don't get any thanks for your work nor can you progress further. The pay is really bad too. I would not recommend to work there
I learned so much about myself as well as the working environment while working here. Would recommend to anyone looking to increase their experience.
Delivery of training relating to the new apprenticeship standards for Leadership and Management training with a focus on L3 and L5 Standards, Certificates and Diplomas. Training is focused on the following subjects Management of Self, Personal Effectiveness, Leading People, Operational Planning, Business Improvement Plans as well as other areas.
It was always a great day interacting with the student and earning the opportunity to further develop my teaching skills while doing what I love to do!
My days at work are never the same as i am constantly doing different jobs within the college for different departments for the college. I am also doing different jobs around the engineering department from turning and milling to welding.
I absolutely loved this job. The people I worked with were fantastic. Everything was well structured. The role was interesting. The culture of the workplace was friendly, helpful, developmental. It was a very proactive job, and I learnt a lot.
Brilliant place to learn new skills. From English and Maths to new computer skills. They also do Food Hygiene and CSCS courses. This is for new learners or people who just want to update their skills.
Pros
Near to home
Cons
Sometimes problems with the computers
Worked for the institute for a year as a learning support worker they don't deserve a star. Very unprofessional teachers, racism. Rude pathetic enviroment to work in. I heard a teacher telling students why do foreigners come to this country what are you teaching young people. The same teacher said just because you speak a language from the jungle that doesn't count as speaking many languages and that was health and social care department where they pride in teaching British values what a joke. Some teachers in that department manage people by bulling and evil gossiping in the office.
Pros
English department was good very educated teachers
Cons
Very low pay and expected to put up with rude teachers
A good college that links what your training to real life.Preparing you for a job. Good lessons involving maths and English that link to your course. Good flexible hours.
was only on a part time basis within a small department. lovely atmosphere among staff and enthusiastic students. parking available and good standard facilities.
The team I work for are brilliant, the Braintree campus has been cutting courses and is in the process of selling off some of the site and due to student numbers staff are being let go. Management is not really good mostly left to our own devices, I have picked up a lot of data base skills, reception duties and enjoy meeting and greeting. Hardest part of the job was when staff were on holiday and as it was a small team which included 2 part time and 2 full time staff, one of which was term time only, there were plenty of times you were a lone worker, there were lots of enjoyable times with fun and laughter.
Pros
30 days annual leave once you had worked there for 5 years
Cons
Hard to book holiday
Negative workplace, too focused on what can’t be done rather than what can. Nasty habit of not replacing staff and dishing jobs out to already overloaded existing staff and not rewarding them at all. Poor.
Pros
Some nice staff
Cons
Everything else
No Security in jobs could be more honest with staff. Good staff benefits .Parking is terrible should have more staff parking and less student parking. If the staff can not park their cars then they can not teach. Often have to wit for a space. Good catering facilities.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
no security in jobs
It was stressful working there. Constant changing the policies as a result of government changes. Staff had little respect for each other, and some quite nasty. Overall a good college but would never work there again.
Pros
Would use is as a student
Cons
Would not work there as v low moral and nasty staff mates
Varied job roles over the years but enjoyable. I gained many qualifications along the way met nice people that are life long friends. Culture frustrating as constant restructures that unsettled staff to the point the college became unproductive and lost good staff. The best part of job was working with young people to mke a difference to development alongside working with schools and employers. Management became poor over the years as too busy cutting costs rather than looking at the need for development and looking after staff.
Pros
hours of work and benefits of good pension and discounts
Cons
constant job changes and restructures
Very good to work for but to many management cut half of the manage ment team .It is very rewarding to help the students to work to there end goal then to get the highest that they worked over the year for
Pros
Good holidays and sicknes benfits
Cons
37 hours a week
There is a bums on seat culture at Colchester Institute, the learners are seen as little more than cash cows. Oversized classrooms and little resources. The management (I use that term loosely) are self centrre and aloof of what we as employees have to deal with. Note; I no longer view myself as a tutor but as an employee of a multi million pound business, where the principal, see,s herself as a COE. Colchester Institute has lost its way and no longer gives the correct education/direction and skillls to the young persons of Essex
Pros
Cons
expected to work long hours with little reward