Colchester Zoo

United Kingdom48 reviews

Clear

zoobusyfoodstafffreefunbreakcustomer

Could be better

Often saw bullying by management and wasn't backed by management when following zoo policies e.g. no kids allowed without adults. Strong culture of nepotism and favoritism in the zoo. Only way you can get a promotion is to be a butt kisser or threaten to leave when they are understaffed. Last minute rotas and often wouldn't find out when your working until the day before the new week. Tiny disgusting staff room. If you are seen to be not doing anything even for a second you would get told off. Had to ask for the toilet and water.There are some positives though. Paid above minimum wage, free entry for you +1, discount in shop and catering. Some customers are really nice and job isn't too hard. Great colleagues.

Pros

Free entry to zoo for you + 1, discount om food and shop

Cons

Last minute rotas, treated poorly, favouritism

Avoid if you can.

The first thing you will notice is the horrendous pay: £6.50 an hour for a 19 year old, working 9am until 5pm.... It's practically slave labour. Sometimes they make you work until 9pm or 10pm for late nights. No extra pay. Nothing. The managers are supervisors were all so young and there was a weird culture in the zoo, especially towards the newbies: everyone who had worked there longer than you knew each other, and if you didn't fit in with them they would ignore you, give them the most horrible jobs, and sometimes even talk behind your back. You won't get time off unless the managers like you: it's a very clicky atmosphere which takes them to get used to. I barely got breaks, and couldn't even go to the toilet sometimes. Colchester zoo taught me to never be silenced and speak up when you're being treated badly.

Insights into Colchester Zoo

Areas for improvement
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Sense of belonging

I love communication within the work place. Working with different people and helping people in the work place. Can be hard and stressful at times when busy.

fun workplace

I worked within a lovely team of people however the managers let the team down and the support that was offered throughout the training and afterwards was not great.

Excellent management and family environment

Working at Colchester zoo was truly the best experience I could have expected, all the staff member were incredibly welcoming and after the first shift I felt part of this amazing family atmosphere that stretches through the whole company.

Good working environment

Great working environment for those pursuing a career in animal care, great teams of people very friendly atmosphere. Plenty of training provided and always supported by staff members.

Enjoyed working here but had its down times

Working here was be fun and enjoyable. I learned that everyone is different. Management was not the best as you wasn't sure who was in charge at the time. The hardest part of the job was the travel but was easy enough once you get used to it. Another down side to this job is that the staff can make you feel down and if you're the new person the current staff will give you the horrible jobs that they don't want to do. The most enjoyable part was working inside the zoo overall.

Nice

Great work great work great work Love the people Love the food Love the zoo Love the work Love the job Love The Zoo I like the work because it's interesting and fun. Everyone is easy to work with and I get along great with everyone there. The zoo is very welcoming and always gives the best.

Pros

Half price lunch

Cons

Not free lunch

busy and stressful

i learnt how to lead a team and work as part of a team. A typical day at work was stressful and busy and we often didn't get breaks until it was almost time to leave. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with colleagues and customers.

Pros

nice co-workers

Cons

having to buy expensive lunch when we actually got a break.

Colchester Zoo

First job, enjoyed helping out customers and making sure that they had the best experience when they came to Colchester Zoo.

Fun and good way to gain valuable experience

You learn and develop your skills of working in a team, as well as organisation and improvisation skills. The fast paced culture of this job means you learn important skills very quickly, making the employee develop quickly and fit into the role only a few days into the job (if they've had no past experience).

Pros

Discounted Lunch

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Colchester Zoo. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Colchester Zoo with

Colchester Zoo reviews by location

• Colchester Zoo
  • Culture
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?