COLTEN CARE LTD

COLTEN CARE LTD Employee Reviews

I was bank so shifts sometimes didn't really come to me, usually when I needed them most ironically. That aside, the team was great and I got on with everyone there. Had I been able to commit to a contract that wasn't zero hours I think my experience would have been better as I often missed out on stuff when there wasn't shifts for a few weeks etc.
Pros
Free lunch over 7 hours shift. Decent break times. Kept me very active.
Cons
Parking nearby was a pain. Sometimes lack of communication.
The company is very corporate and doesn't offer a good standard of care to the residents due to staff shortages. Very task focused and lots of paperwork to complete
Pros
Lovely residents
Cons
Manager doesnt listen
At Catherine’s has the chance to be a fantastic place to work and for residents to live, if only management would stop focusing solely on the budget and consider the residents needs. Staff are expected to care for too many residents by themselves including residents assessed to be a double care expected to be cared for 12 hours by just one care worker putting both the care worker and resident at risk. Not enough staff to assist with feeding residents resulting in many missing whole meals. Care staff are getting burnt out, making mistakes and causing incidents and accidents to themselves. The stress the staff are under is having a negative effect on the behaviour of the residents causing lots of anxiety and agitation.Continence care products are continually running out and management lock away any spares resulting in residents having to use products not suitable for their needs or not the right product they have been assessed for.Equipment is constantly failing leaving residents vulnerable, including a poor lady stranded in the air in a hoist while the care staff ran round desperately looking for a working battery.Training is pitiful, to be classed as a specialist dementia care home I have not received any additional dementia training/Information above what I have received in more generic care home trainings.
The company focuses on money, not employees. They cut the wages of those with the lowest earnings. The home managements do not have the respect of employees. Stress and screams on the agenda. They lie and cheat to keep positions. Very lazy. Great staff and residents. Stay away from this place and company.
Pros
Free lunch over 8 hours work
Cons
Stress, abuse, lies
19 March 2021
We are concerned to read your review, especially as we have not 'cut wages' and our focus is on our residents and our staff. We truly value our employees and their wellbeing. As a current employee, we suggest you contact HR in confidence about all the issues raised above so we can further understand and help you: HR@coltencare.co.uk
Three or so years ago I worked as a contractor on all Colton sites working on their fire alarm systems. As an external contractor a saw not only front of house but behind the scenes and was very impressed with the level of care and general helpfulness of all members of staff between themselves and clients.. I've never seen any other care home take quite as much care, organise stay in or go out activities and generally genuinely care. When I get to a stage in my life I'd love you move into one. Again as an outsider this is a totally impartial review and hope it helps people make the correct decision for close members of family in the future.
Pros
. Good enviroment
Cons
. None
29 January 2021
Thank you for your comment, great to read; best wishes for the future!
Great company to work for very relaxed atmosphere as long as you are doing the job. Management approachable always available to help with any problems. I loved my time there. I only left because i moved away from the area. The only problem was i could not transfer as there were no positions available. After seven years of trying i have never been able to get back to working for the company. Once you leave they never seem to consider you again which is such a shame
Pros
Paid breaks pension and friendly staff
29 January 2021
Thank you for your lovely comment. Best wishes for the future.
29 January 2021
Thank you for your comment, please get in touch with the recruitment team for more information about re-joining the company on 01425 460955.
The good thing about working here was weekly pay and free food. Staff were friendly and welcoming. All of the staff work really hard here. So many staff leave this place. No one stays long term. So many walk outs. The home has a very high turnover of staff and struggles keeping their own staff. The home uses a lot of agency staff. The home struggles to keep Nursers. I was told that the home is on its 4th Manager in just over 4 years. When staff came from other homes to do bank work they said your home is a chaotic home and not organised one. Low Morale.After a while you will see the people you have started the new job with will start to leave and then you will probably leave at some point. If your sick you are made to feel like the bad person and they try and make you come in even if you are not well. Management would make you feel bad that you can’t come in. They don’t care if you are ill. No sick pay and you lose out they don’t. They save the money. One time I lost a whole weeks salary. If Colten Care cared about staff welfare they would pay full sick pay but they don’t and staff leave. Lack of professionalism. Great pay if you are a nurse but not really that great pay for HCA’s. I felt Colten Care was all about the business side and less on the individual.
Pros
Free lunches, paid breaks and weekly pay
Cons
No sick pay.
15 December 2020
Thanks for your comment. Since the time of writing we have invested in new induction processes and our staff retention has improved. Our employment terms and conditions, including sick pay, are competitive in the market. Best wishes for the future.
I enjoy coming to work each day - which has got to be a bonus in any job. Yes, some days there are challenges, but I feel confident I can face these as they come up as there is someone available to support either in the home, from another home or head office if needed. I love the relaxed environment of the home, getting to know the residents and their families has been a treat. During the pandemic, I have felt very safe coming into work each day - the company has taken the virus very seriously and provided staff with enough PPE and guidelines to ensure the safety of residents and staff.
Pros
Opportunities to further career with apprenticeships.
Cons
No parking on site.
17 September 2020
Thanks for your comment; its great to read that you've found a job you love. Best wishes, The Recruitment Team
I was made welcome from my first day. they have been supportive and encouraging with my forward training. although the work is fast pacing, the laughs and jokes make the day fly by. the work is so rewarding, as you know you make a difference to others life's
Pros
free tea/coffee biscuits
Cons
none so far
17 September 2020
Thanks for your comment; we hope you continue to enjoy your role at Colten Care.
Really good company to work for. I only left as I caught covid19 and wanted to concentrate on my recovery. Fantastic group of staff (both day and night staff). Would go back in a heartbeat. Was made to feel really welcome and enjoyed my time at amberwood house. Best care job I have had .
Pros
Free lunches, enhanced weekend rate
17 September 2020
Thank you for your lovely comment; we hope you are feeling much better now. Please do get in touch if we can help you in getting back into employment. Best wishes.
I like working here it’s great to see all the lovely people and colleagues and it’s a great job to have for the future. It is a great company i love getting offered other shifts to work at different homes as meeting new residents and colleagues is great.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Very hot in the care home
17 September 2020
Thank you for your review. It’s great to hear that you are having such a positive experience with Colten Care. If you would like to explore career opportunities for the future please do get in touch with our Recruitment team on 01425 460955. Best wishes Erin Rudkin, Senior Recruitment Advisor
I have worked for Colten Care for over 8 years I love my role as an HCA, we get fantastic training and support, it has been a very hard few months due to Covid, but as a team and with support of management and area office we are coming through a bad time for all. There have been times of dispare but we can have that in any job I feel a great feat of achievement when I get compliments from residents and the fact they miss me when I'm off for a day or 2 or on annual leave
Pros
Wages, breaks, manager, staff teamwork
17 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to place a comment on Indeed. We appreciate all the wonderful work that goes on, especially over Covid and lockdown - unprecedented times! I hope that you continue to enjoy your role at Colten. Best wishes.
Colten has a very defined culture - its a great place to work with a real family feel - this sets a Colten Home apart from its competitors. I've been fortunate enough to be offered opportunities to develop, formal training/qualifications and mentorship during my time with the company. I have also worked with a very supportive Operations team. These factors have led to my developing myself and securing internal promotion. The home that I am working in has a fantastic family feel and the care team really do give there best - I'm proud to work for such a caring provider during one of the most challenging periods in history for the sector.
Pros
Meal on duty, Aprenticeship opportunities/qulaification opportunities, Scope to progress, Family atmosphere and strong culture, high level of investment in buildings and facilities, lots of in house training
Cons
Little on site parkinng
Worked for Colten Care for 9months, work load is tremendous and never time to complete everything you are trained to do. They treat staff like robots. No time for an official break or a drink. Staff moral on all levels is extremely low, why don't any hierarchy realise this?
Pros
Lovely residents who enjoy seeing a friendly face.
Cons
Very unprofessional catering management.
Awful place to work as far as the management is concerned, too much emphasis on paperwork at He expense of care.There is an insidious culture of blame and negativity with a chasm of communication between front line workers and lazy management.This company do not understand the benefit of praise, support and recognition of work well done, instead employees are subjected to constant criticism and formal meetings where they are beaten down and generally treated without mutual respect.Dispite this there are lovely people working there in a system that undervalues them and undermines effective care leading to safe guarding issues that are easily avoided when all work together as a team.There have been four managers in four years, each leaving after little success in sorting out the toxic atmosphere.The only effective manager was the one that filled in between appointments.She raised moral , cut out agency dependency only to see it return with the new managers who would rather criticise and threat than pull all together.I am so so pleased to have left.I now work in a care home that is a million times better run, where management and staff work in unison, where praise and encouragement are key notes of everyday.It is so refreshing to do my job and feel recognised, appreciated and supported in every way rather than criticised, blamed and left to manage.I will never return to that toxic place again to suffer the stress and demoralising culture, CC say they wish to be an employer of choice! Wow, they are unable to retain staff, walk outs are common and they Just don’t seem to care. Good - more...
Pros
Good hourly rate, over time
Cons
Constant short notice change to rota, poor management
Proffesional and enjoyable environment to work in general terms. Staff and management try to make people to work as a team and try to help as much as possible.
Pros
free lounges, overtime available
Cons
long hours, challenging job
Your worked non stop. They don't plan ahead to allow for people not coming in. Just expect you to work with next to no staff and still give the same care and quality. Impossible and actually dangerous. Manger is over worked and has no time and is constantly lied to by senior staff who make the manager out to be the bad one. When in fact if given the correct support would be a great manager
Management was a bit hit and miss sometimes cared sometimes didnt, over worked, understaffed, underpaid. tight when it came to annual leave and they didnt take into consideration that we all have lives outside of work
17 September 2020
Thank you for commenting. As a current employee please do make contact with our HR team in confidence, we truly value all the hard work that goes in to looking after our residents and would value your feedback in more detail to see how we can help. Please call 01425 460955 or email HR@coltencare.co.uk
I worked with the most caring and hard working kitchen staff, domestics,care staff, senior care leads, nurses, maintenance and admin staff.The only reason this home is functioning is because of these staff. The fourth manager has just started. No thanks has ever been show towards the lower paid staff. Higher management also never give praise or encouragement for the care given to the residents. They ignore the fact the the residents pay an extortionate amount for their care, the staff do the best they can in stressful conditions. The stress is caused by understaffing, the resulting high turnover of staff and the higher management putting so many targets and work onto everyone. Staff get exhausted because they care about the residents. Staff walk out because they have reached breaking point and can't do any more. The work load is so big especially since the home has filled and staffing levels have not significantly increased to accommodate this. Every day I saw care staff running to answer bells (due to pressure and targets) in between giving care, beepers constantly going off which is so not conducive to calm and relaxing care for poorly residents. There needs to be a definite shift in management style for this home to start to retain its caring staff members and become a calmer and more deserving home for the residents that pay for the best in the latter years of their lives.
Overall the job wasn’t worth the stress. Working with the residents was an absolute delight every time but staff were very unfair to one another and a lot of gossip and rumors got spread constantly. You’d get picked on and management didn’t really help. Especially considering if you’d report someone for not doing their job properly, the whole care staff would turn against you.
Can be a little stressful at times but staff are very friendly and easy to get on with, is very rewarding and the residents are always very greatful..
  1. Employee reviews