Compass Group UK & Ireland logo

2.7
Work-life balance
2.5
Pay & benefits

If you can stand up for yourself!

I was a multi unit manager, and i found i had to fight mine and my staff's corner daily! If the area managers had there way i would have been lone working 7 days a week with minimal labour hours to achieve greater gross profit.

Pros

Good career progression for motivated intelligent people

Cons

Got to constantly fight for what you need

i work at a compressor gas station

i work at the gas station and i am flexable there and i have a few laughs there with the site lads. Like if anyone is having a meeting there, before the meeting starts i will go and do there waste paper bins in that room before it starts. i seem to enjoy all my time at work

Pros

They tell me off if i dont help myself to any of the drinks there.

Cons

not enough hours

ageist company

if your over 50 in ages waste of time apply for a job very ageist not a good company to work high staff turn overmanager are good and not paid well .

Avoid at all costs

Compass are totally profit orientated. They will pay the lowest salary possible, but expect the earth. They operate on minimum staff , to the point where everyone is utterly exhausted, but will still not provide support and assistance unless you make a fuss. Sufficient breaks are often not possible as there are not enough people to cover them. Targets are high and unachievable, with little to no praise if they are exceeded, and distain if they are not. There is no sick pay, so often, poorly kitchen staff are forced to come in to work as they cannot afford to be off sick. Witnessed many a chef with a raging cold cooking! There are sometimes short cuts taken due to having insufficient time to complete every task. It’s only due to conscientious people that work extra hours unpaid, that things usually run as they should. These people end up not being rewarded in anyway, and often are taken advantage of further. Do not work for this company.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, no support.

Busy but rewarding to feed others

Depending on where you apply to work it can be busy, hard work, stressful, demanding but overall productive and rewarding. Working in a school is rewarding knowing the children are having at least one hot a meal a day and enjoying it.

Pros

Rewarding

Cons

Underpaid and overworked

Poor company

Compass is not a company I would recommend to work for. Contract hours was 40 hours a week over 5 days. Was continuously working 6-7 days a week and 50+ hours. Communication is very poor. They don’t care about health and safety within work place especially during now. No support from area manager. When I left I found out that they took on a new manager on a higher salary that I was on.

Pros

Cons

Long hours. No support

Nice to work for

Managers brill always there to help.learn all you need to know, not much more to say about this company just brill.just wished the pay was a little more

Pros

Very nice to work for

Cons

Dreadful company, poor management, did absolutely nothing about bullying in the workplace despite writing a statement

Worse company to have ever had the unfortunate experience of working for. Minimum pay, no pension, no sick pay.Complete lack of support from management. Expected to do overtime regardless of other jobs/ commitments you might have outside your contracted working hours. Expected to drop everything and cover at very short notice. Awful working ethos and atmosphere. They did nothing about bullying that was taking place, despite making a statement.

Pros

Having a job

Cons

Everything - avoid at all costs

Hated it

Nasty managers who take advantage and have to do extra hours unpaid. Many staff are so worn down they have no motivation to go the extra mile ... managers all know each other so nepotism is rife

Pros

Easy commute

Cons

Lonv hours, bullyinv culture

Excellent company to work for

This company are excellent to work for plenty shifts and plenty hours team leader is fair as well. Holiday pay always on time... Staff are excellent aswell

Jobs at Compass Group UK & Ireland

See more jobs

fine workplace

I work for Tottenham Chelsea football ground I enjoy every minute You will Have loads of experience and you get to watch the football after service The best thing you can get :)

Pros

Free lunch and Parking

Cons

You will enjoy every hour

Stressfull for manager

Not enough labour hours to finish the job with high expectations.No overtime for manager, no recognizing your hard work, turn the site from bad to good reputation with 5 star score on the door.They don't recognize or remember the good thing you did, always the wrong one that will appear on every conversation.Management not pretty care about your situation. As long as client happy you will be fine.

Pros

Free lunches as you like

Kitchen assistant

I would rather run a mile than work for compass. They take the mickey and when you look for another job they bully you from the workplace. because you’ve dared to look somewhere else. No incentive to stay

Pros

No pros - had free lunch when boss wasn’t in

Cons

Long days. Supervisors do what they want

Great

Loved it, only recently let go but I’ll always enjoy my time I had in the Hyster canteen, got on great with the staff and good work environment, can’t complain.

Pros

Free lunches and great staff

Ex employee

Didn’t get to take breaks yet was still deducted half an hour pay a day. No support from higher management. Was expected to do exact job as the manager but for minimum pay and if I needed to stay in my own time I was not paid for it.

Pros

Cons

Poor pay, no respect, unfair deductions.

Profit only company

Short staffed, don't replace staff when they leave, don't appreciate staff efforts. Poor menu's, small portions, expensive meals. Minimum wage only. Don't always pay wages right. Staff morale low under appreciated, shifts only concerned about their shift and not the next shift. Not the best food quality or due diiligence regarding food dates. Stressful environment.

Pros

Free food more than 6 hour shift, not bought in food

Cons

Minimum wage, short staffed, not replacing staff that leave. Stressful.

Avoid well known to citizens advice for the wrong reasons

Rubbish company to work for they keep cutting staff Down and expect you keep the same standards, the amount of pressure you are out under isn’t worth it as it affects your health and your constantly tired. Feel under appreciated never got any praise from management but if your mistake affects their job then they come down on you like a ton of bricks management are just out for themselves they don’t care about the staff best thing I did leaving although even then I had to go to citizens advice ans as soon as I mentioned ESS compass group they said ah yes we have a lot of dealing with them.

No respect for employees

I was tuped over and I thought the last company was bad, but how mistaken I was.ESS, part of the Compass Group, are the most unprofessional, disorganised company I have ever worked for. Their training is all online and they never offer any development , or craft training. You never see any of the upper management, unless you've done something wrong, so when you are hitting the bottom line, you never get any praise or encouragement.The thanks we got for staying on and covering the covid lock down was none, oops I tell a lie, we've had our hours cut and if you don't agree they forced us into redundancy. I have worked at my site for 15 years and they couldn't give a flying toss.As for complaints, bullying, other staff getting off there duties lightly and favouritism then you have come to the right company.Do yourselves a favour and give anything associated with this company a very wide berth.

Pros

cheap quality uniform

Cons

working for them

working as a chef for compass

they offered a pay increase, then withdrew the pay increase then cut all the chefs hours and made redundancies. Adding more agency chefs from an agency that they themselves had recently taken over.

Pros

some nice people, not difficult or long hours

Cons

inept cooking, little or no pride in work, appalling treatment of employees

Fun workplace

Wages was not good. I work as a casual sous Chef.Some times The company don‘t have much work. They give jobs at far places but your travelling expenses is not paid for.

Pros

Free lunch

No work life balance

As a manager i was working, some weeks 76 hours, and not receiving the pay as I was salary based, then told I wouldnt get my TOIL back,as I was unable to take time off. Way to much pressure put on management, for not a great pay. Had to leave to protect my mental health as I had no work life balance, nore work load added on, and couldnt see it changing.

Pros

Not many

Cons

Long hours, no support, stessful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Compass Group UK & Ireland. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6