Competition & Markets Authority logo
Competition & Markets Authority

Competition & Markets Authority Employee Reviews

The organisation supports flexible working and is advanced in terms of its embrace of IT. There is a long hours culture. It seeks to be respectful to its workers, friendly, diverse and treat people equally but cannot guarantee it.

Pros

Flexible working

A typical day at work

Typical day at work was busy yet extremely quiet and dull. Employees and colleagues were non social and not helpful with giving information / direction. As someone very new to the sector I was asking questions n where to find documents or to be given access to the necessary folders in order to do my job to the fullest but was passed from pillar to post to do so. A task t9ok 4x longer than it should have done..

Worst place to work

This was by far the worst place to work in. From what I have experienced it is a very group based environment. If you do not fit in, you would be outcasted. Bullying, micromanagement (HR particularly) very common. Very unorganised, no clear communication of what needs to be done or how, no or very limited training provided with high expectations. Workloads are unreasonably high, you are expected to work overtime to do all of your work, otherwise getting very negative reviews from management during 121's. I would not recommend to work for this company, to be honest I would rather suggest to run from it. Also, management and senior staff do not shy away from unreasonable critique and fun making. Very unpleasant place to be in.

Pros

Sick pay, work from home

Cons

Management and senior staff, bullying, micromanagement

fast paced, enjoyabler work envoirnment

Worked with very fine people in civil service. involvement with project management. it was a great experience working towards the betterment of public.

Deliverling at pace

I started a new role as an HR Officer in September 2014. A typical day at work involves answering queries and dealing with casework. I learned a lot about how HR operates and strengthen my organizational and IT skills. The hardest part of the job is to organize one's time and learn to multitask.

Pros

flexible working time

Cons

lack of structure

Interesting and varied

Very interesting to see how all this side of the government world works. Met some fantastic people there and shame the project contract wasn't longer.

Great place to work with a fantastic team

I support two directors with very different daily schedule and needs. My main duties are diary management, organising meetings, events, training, preparing presentations, minute taking, recruitment/onboarding, and procurement/requisitioning. I also support two teams of five which involves working on projects and project resourcing, data entry and a lot of excel work (data analysis), which I love. The teams are absolutely fantastic, probably the best teams I have every worked with, simply great people to work with. Recently, my team and I participated in a "treasure hunt" across Covent Garden/Strand/Trafalgar square which was an amazing team building exercise. The hardest part of my job is juggling different needs and conflicting schedules and sometimes an unexpected short deadline but that's all part of the challenge.

Pros

Great life/work balance, excellent team

Cons

No opportunity for advancement for PA/Executive Assistants

Best civil service department

lots of learning opportunites, development, projects, massive emphasis on strategic and forward thinking organisation, value staff and team work, great model employee, good benefits, nice location, fair and diverse staff, fun place to work

Focussed, forward thinking workplace

A newly formed agency (ex. Office of Fair Trading & Competition Commission) implementing and tweaking systems and processes to ensure they are fit for purpose. Senior management were very engaged. Clear sense of purpose and organisational goals.

Summary

Project Manager of the Agresso and Infrastructure Projects

Jobs at Competition & Markets Authority