Core Laboratories

Core Laboratories Employee Reviews

good job but poor managment

The job itself was very good but got very little to no bonuses or promotions in all the time i worked there. Other departments in the company frequently got treated better and received bonuses along with promotions.

Pros

good basic salary

Cons

poor management

Competitive Pay Excellent Benefits

Good place to work. Friendly coworkers workgroups are small and because of the nature of the business all employees are smart and professional. Very nice facilities.

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Hour lunches and generous PTO.

Worst decision I EVER made

Poorly managed. HR advises people to stay in line and not go rogue. Favoritism runs rampant. HR is ineffective as they appear to have little to no knowledge of their respective positions. They often discuss employees personal as well as professional confidential information. Hourly associates have discussed union options and suddenly were termed. I wouldn't recommend working there for the low pay and fact you will be laid off the moment that either the oil or company stock prices drop.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Poorly managed HR department who offer no help and can't keep confidential info

Great company to start

Great company to get experience from to be able to grow. They are nice people. It’s a pretty quiet work place that’s what i love about the job. They let us wear business casual or scrubs.

Pros

Free lunches, quiet work place

Cons

needs a bigger break area, can’t be on your phone

Great opportunity to learn, grow. and travel

Review process was brilliant and has HR written all over it. Kudos to the Director and recruitment team. I thoroughly enjoyed working at Core Lab. I developed great relationships there, and had the great opportunities to roll-out their Applicant Tracking Software Ceridian and train all their managers in an ongoing basis, and doing all the EEOC/OFCCP training. Plus the work I did with IRS and the Petroleum Services were my best career choices and my fondest memories.

Pros

Travel!

Great Company to work for

This was a great company to work for. I gained a lot of experience both in the laboratory and the field. Management supports you in your career advancement. Excellent coworkers.

Productive & safe work place

Corlab is a global company and there is no need to introduce it.A very good place for skills development and training. Where most employees have opportunities for career advancement they are trained to work for production and maintenance in safety conditions. On the other hand, salaries are fair with each level. As for the managers, they are more than wonderful and understanding people, close to the employees and their office doors are always open to listen to the employees and work to motivate them.

Very hands off

Let us alone for most of the time, often felt secluded from the entire company. There wasn't a lot of communication during the pandemic. Was laid off because of sales not happening and partially because of the pandemic.

Excellent company

Excellent company to work for. Lots of duties and responsibilities on a daily basis. Coworkers help make the job easier and more enjoyable. Stressful at certain times

Potential

The company has the potential to be great but don't recommend it for the long term. If you are looking for growth and to move up, that is not the place. They lack employee development and only care about the bottom line and stockholders. On the flip side, It is not as political as other corporations. They offer great benefits even though after Covid-19 they took away the 401K match. They have hardworking individuals willing to help when needed.

Pros

own office, flexibility, friendly individuals, collaborative environment

Cons

overworked, underpay

Collaborative, friendly work colleagues. Poor upper managment.ements

I enjoyed working there and would of stayed if I wasn't laid off. I worked with great people. We were encouraged to work together to solve problems and collaborate. It's reliant on the oil industry so is highly cyclical in nature. When times are good, there was many perks and promotions but when times are bad, expect to be laid off. Upper management is short-sighted and constantly shoots itself in the foot.

Pros

Room to move and learn alot.

Cons

Poor pay and executive management.

The work itself is great. Wanting a pay raise or promotion, good luck

The work is interesting, opportunity to enhance knowledge with many different tests. Training is pretty much non existent. If you’re wanting any kind of promotion, pay raise, or other opportunity steer clear of Core Laboratories. They play favorites for sure, and you will not be rewarded for the hard work you put in.

Pros

Experience

Cons

False promises, no promotions, no pay raises

Not great...

Was lied to about a starting pay, and was also promised a promotion for years that never came. This company throws you into different positions with no training and expects you to figure it out. Most of the time I can’t get clear concise answers to questions about data and tests. I have loved the type of work I do but the compensation for it is terrible. You’ll bust your butt all day and they’ll promote someone else that sits at their desk and plays games all day on the company computer. All while telling you that you are performing perfect but they “can’t give raises”. Then you ask around and find out some of the favorites got raises but were told to keep it “hush hush”. They laid off tons of good managers during covid and replaced them with people who don’t know what they are doing. Also, rumor has it that during the pandemic once you get let go, your health insurance stops that day. That’s pretty terrible. Literally the only good thing about having worked there is the co workers, flexibility, and experience. My best advice is to work here starting out in your career and then jump ship to any other company as fast as possible or you’ll get stuck with more work and empty promises.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Pay, leadership, no upward mobility, favorites

Work at CLB was an adventure.

I've learned a lot from folks at CLB. The team was very friendly and supportive. I had an opportunity to work on many challenging projects. CLB is a good place for geologist.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

N/a

Mismanagement is rampant, and the current situations shows this

Summer of 2019 the Petroleum Services Division was "reorganized" under the new incoming VP. Ideas seemed good, but the execution was beyond terrible, and the results speak for themselves. PMs that did very little from one department were combined with PMs from another that were doing many times the amount of work, and harmony was expected. Instead things devolved into near chaos with the addition of, rather than removal of, bureaucracy. What 1 person used to do turned into 5, the computer system is beyond terrible and approaches unusable (management refused to outsource development and instead chose to bring in, then promptly lose, programmers), and managers were put in place that had no clue about how to run a business. As the old guard brain trust retired off, they were not replaced with people of anywhere near the same levels of capabilities. I went to work for a good company, and was laid off by an incompetent one. If you are in oil and gas and outsourcing your lab work to them, seriously question your data, as ethics in reporting simply no longer is a priority. It was a sad downfall to witness really.

Pros

Decent pay, great amount of PTO

Cons

Management failures and the hubris preventing them from backtracking or reevaluating.

Oil business company with high level of learning and professional formation.

Company where it is a school, some training and professional formation in the field of rock properties. Good management. Sometimes with managers taking wrong decisions, but in general Core Lab has good management.I can say that I have worked at ease in Core Lab.

Pros

Friendly environment.

Cons

Good medical plan.

Enjoyed working there

Job wasn’t difficult. Not much pressure from management to increase production or move faster. Could have better communication between different departments.

Lies of Promotion Opportunities

A work culture of constantly dangling a carrot of possible promotion that will never happen. Invest your time in a company that will invest in you and steer clear of Core Lab.

Pros

Schedule Flexibility in certain labs, lots of OT when oil prices are high

Cons

Poor training and unreasonable expectations

Interesting

The current culture is a bit old fashion as they are behind the times as far as 9/80, working from home, etc. There have been a reduction in force to offset the economic downturn.

They do give support to employees during jobs

When jobs there are jobs, get them ready make sure your equipment is ready and in working order. They have a 6 week in class training course. Trying to get material in for the jobs. Hardest part of the job was when your employees would try harder at getting out of doing things instead of doing them. Best part was finishing the job you did to your best potential.

Pros

Being able to take work truck home and being able to purchase the work truck

Cons

Not getting raises when deserved, Furloughs and no scheduled days off.

Fun place to work

Good people management very helpful wend you need anything thy be ther for you no drama get ready for long hours some time 3 weeks no time for family..

Pros

Freedom

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Core Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement