Cornwall Council

Cornwall Council Employee Reviews

There are many aspects to the question of what are my opinions of Cornwall Council as an employer. It is indeed a very good question to ask that requires some thought to answer.
There is a low support and highly critical culture. Staff are expected to work well beyond allocated hours, there is little recognition of contribution made and management are focused upon their own advancement. A cut-throat environment, where ethics have been lost.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, high pressure, high criticism, low support
Despite being in the Public Sector this is a very good place to work. Training and support is excellent. Even as a contractor. Communication is clear, concise and widely distributed. Employees are respected and although the pay is low, the benefits of the work life balance is emphasized. Flexible hours are normal and followed by everyone as is working from hohomeiwidely used even before the COVID-19 issues ore the COVID-19 issues
Pros
Good work life balance and working environment
Cons
Low pay
The entire organisation from elected members to the management and staff is pretty inept and self serving. From lack of investment in staff, equipment, poor materials and ppe to low levels of training and incredible waste of money on vanity projects, this council talks a good show but it's a charade. Pay is poor with no increments, despite jobs being advertised as such. There is a 'performance' rel
Cons
Working in the contact centre had its ups and downs. The team were fairly friendly but god forbid you did not agree with one of them. You have a good work/life balance as the hours are Monday-Friday. You had good leave (if you were ever allowed to take it) and good sick pay. Job security was very good as the calls would always be queued at about 40 waiting. The highest I ever saw it was 72 callers waiting with over an hour wait time as the manager on duty did not know how to cap the calls. Laughable. The job is relentless. You are answering calls 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. As there is such a high turn over of staff we were almost always understaffed which meant the workload was extremely unmanageable. There are five managers. One is the designated duty manager each day and you can only ask that specific manager for help. If you approached a different manager they would make it very clear you are not to ask them as they are not on duty. 3 out of 5 managers were not confident in helping as they did not have sufficient training for revenues. This would lead them to question your suggestions and make you feel like you had done something wrong. It was very confusing at times as different managers would advise to do different things. We were actively told not to suggest a managers call back to angry or upset customers, instead we were told to deal with it ourselves. In doing so, we would then get pulled on the bad call. We hardly ever had team meetings and the employees concerns were never listened to. There are very slack procedures in place for any abusive callers. - more...
Great people, very helpful and welcoming people. Up to date with current technologies, expert colleagues always willing to help. Flexible hours, location and working from home
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Cornish wages
An excellent work/life balance and and a rewarding location to work in. Excellent in-service training programme and advisory support network. Good management structure.
Cons
I worked in the Contact Centre at Camborne and all I can say to anyone offered a job here is only take it if you have no other alternative and are really desperate for work. You will lose your soul The initial training was good but then you get thrown in the deep end with only minimal assistance. When I worked there I was told to direct any queries to someone who although very nice would insist on calling me ‘darlin’. I did say to a colleague that I was uncomfortable with this but this was met with surprise and a warning that this was really insignificant in relation to other issues. I soon found out what they meant as the bad language (although admittedly only from a very small but seemingly influential group of fellow workers ) was upsetting but just seemed to be accepted. But the worst thing about the job was the management which was like something straight out of a situation comedy. Managers (of which there appeared to be numerous who drifted in and out at will) operate a duty manager system. Every day there would be a different duty manager who was to be the first point of contact if you required help or assistance. It was made clear that on no account were you to speak to another manager. I made the mistake of asking a question to a manager who was not on duty and was told very abruptly by them of my mistake. The level of assistance you got depended on the competence and willingness to engage of the manager. The less competent would make me feel as if if it was a failing on my part if I asked for assistance. I was made to feel that the problem was in fact - more...
I enjoyed work and felt fully supported by colleagues within my school and those working in Education Department. Whenever advice was needed the department had staff who could support me in my role.
Enjoy working here, there are plenty of opportunities to grow and progress. It's important to interact with colleagues and join in with the social activities that are available
Pros
Free parking, on site cafe, good staff welfare
Cons
Public sector pay grading
Loved working with the council on a temporary basis. I was welcomed a d worked hard so I was able to work my way up and have more responsabilites during my time at the Council.
Good people. Nice atmosphere and a good mix of skills. The council is a very different environment to private sector work. The challenge is trying to change a culture.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Governance
Flexi time is a big plus working for Cornwall Council, however there is still a lot of red tape and hoops to jump through to get even the smallest task completed. Managers can be hit and miss.
Hours between 0800-1730, with core hours of 1000-1500. No overtime, flexi leave in lieu of any extra hours worked. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people who deserve and are entitled to specific services. The worst part - dealing with people who are not eligible or entitled to specific services, but think they should be. Dealing with ungrateful people who believe the world owes them a living
Supportive environment. Invested in with training. Great team. Management could be more understanding during difficult circumstances. Benefits package great.
Regretted working for c.c.c 19years of my life wasted.company under valued in every sense.All about tick boxes and bad management if your face doesn't fit that's it .
Perhaps stuck a bit in the 'old' ways but their focus and motives are driven by good values and principles. They have numerous schemes to support staff but are tad lagging in re-inventing themselves so if you are a trail blazer be prepared for frustrations.
No leadership, no management, no suitably experienced managers. Poor attitude towards Councillors based on "them and us" attitude where trust is absent and obfuscation the norm. I quit in despair!
Many benefits including a flexible working pattern and home working. Day to day colleagues are friendly, knowledgeable and hard working. Management is poor with little communication during key periods such as the very regular restructures.
Changed work hours and wages as soon as I was given a contract. Reduced my hours and wages. I did not feel valued. I did not feel that there was any job security.
opportunities to progress, challenging environment, continuously changing structures and commissioning of services. Many hoops to go through before decisions can be made, and usually never very quickly! Good opportunities to work with colleagues and stakeholders and to improve processes and systems
  1. Employee reviews