Costa Coffee

Costa Coffee Employee Reviews

Found 2,078 reviews matching the search
I worked there when I was 16, was paid over the minimum wage. Fast pace environment. Found the tills difficult and staff often got snappy and sarcastic especially if you didn’t have no previous experience. I worked 4 hours on a Saturday so they seem pretty flexible with hours and days however the reason why I left was because when I went out the back to do pot wash the manager was bad mouthing me thinking I was someone else. You need to be very enthusiastic and bubbly to work there. Hard work trying to make sure you’re on tills, cleaning down tables, pot wash and making sure fridges and produces were topped up.
Pros
Free drinks, wages, hours
Cons
Bad management, rude staff, no training
Be prepared for fast paced, hard work, with little to no training. The culture and the people you work with will be why you stay but the job itself is why most people leave. Customers for the most part are absolutely lovely but 1 in 10 (increased in covid times) will leave you wanting to cry. Thick skin required. Only a few stores will be a different experience but are few and far between. If you go into management you will be required to work far above and beyond for little to no thanks or sleep. The upper management will try their hardest to keep you motivated but corporate are always penny pinching so are limited in helping. Be prepared to come home smelling of milk regardless of whether you were on the coffee machine or not. On the up side, free coffee on the job which will be required.
Pros
Free coffee, Good people, Good rate of pay
Cons
Extremely long hours, expected shift cover, no work life balance, corporate decisions
Constantly understaffed with area managers putting unfair pressure on store managers. Pay was unfair and I was payed incorrectly for months until I noticed and then managed to claim what I was due. This happened to a large number of employees. Forced to upsell plastic bottles of water by having them next to the till which is extremely unethical in terms of environmental responsibility.
Pros
Training and some progression opportunities
Cons
Treatment of staff
Avoid at all costs, perfect for weekend students, even then don't expect much. Expect to be treated poorly.They'll overwork you, expect you to know everything, the training is pointless and the "incentives" don't exist.
Pros
Kept me busy
Cons
Everything to be honest.
On-site managers and team members were great, but as is the case with most coffee shop chains, higher up managers have no idea what they are doing. They treat new staff like dirt, dont know how the place is even run, couldnt make a coffee if their lives depended on it.And work a three day week in their nice offices. (especially clements, ground, costa, starbucks, nero etc.) We are the ones who get taken advantage of, who get up at 6 in the morning, who have to stress throughout the day with customers and food and coffee and cleaning, smelling of sweat and food and coffee when we get home at 6pm, but we get paid pennies while the higher management drive around in their fancy cars? Not an environment that I am going to be associated with again, no thank you.I loved my team at the actual sites, but if higher managers actually got off their bums and did something for once maybe they would deserve the unbelievable amount of wages they get. Shame on you.
Pros
On site team
Cons
Above
It depends on your store and the area you’re located, but Costa is a very busy place. You may be lucky and have team members that are quick, can multi-task and do their job well. But you may have others that get stressed easily, are slow and don’t do their job as well. Depending on which team members you have, you can either have a good/easy experience at Costa, or a hard/not very joyful one. From my experience, you tend to get stuck on one station during busy periods i.e., you could spend hours on the coffee machine or till alone - not fun as your eyes go funny and you ache as well as get frustrated. It’s best to switch every so often but you’ll need to voice this. Pay is okay - it’s above minimum wage, that is if you do your barista / maestro training. Work / home life balance isn’t the greatest as you need to be fully flexible. You don’t have set days off a week, they vary and so you won’t have a routine which could exhaust you. The only benefits I would say are the free drinks (mostly hot - depending on your manager you may or not be allowed cold drinks), the tips (that is if they get shared out, depending on who is looking after them, they might share them out after a year or something, I got my tips a year and a half later) and 50% off food during working hours, even better if the food is 50% off already (due to going out of date or store promotion) as you get 50% off on top of that. You’ll spend a lot of your time on your feet, I suffer from bad achy legs - not the one and you’ll be doing a lot of cleaning - cleaning the floor, coffee machine, putting everything through - more...
Pros
50% off food - when working and may get tips
Cons
Standing on your feet all day and dealing with rude customers
I enjoyed working for Costa for many years on and off. The teams where I was based were lovely. When Coca Cola bought the company from whitbread it started to go downhill. Less hours available ment over working their staff and doing sometimes 3 peoples work load.
Cons
Not many hours available for colleagues, overstretched.
I loved my job at costa.. They become more like your family from the start. I would recommend working there too anyone, any age. I had some amazing times and enjoyed the job very much.
Pros
The people and customers become your best friends
Cons
Working for Costa was a good opportunity to learn new skills I.e. coffee making skills, using if different drink making tech. The staff were friendly once you get to know them. The customers are great and most definitely keep you on your toes. If you’re looking for a place of work that will accommodate student life I would recommend them. I had Uni 3 days a week and could not work on Saturdays because of religious reasons but they supported me and gave me enough hours to still support me financially too.
Pros
Coffee tasting lol
Cons
Clashes with management at times
I’ve worked at Costa for 4 weeks now and I am in love with the job. Best company I’ve ever worked for and I’ve worked for various fast food chains and all areas of the hospitality industry.
Pros
Free drinks on shift!
Cons
Customers can sometimes be quite rude
Vile place to work all the staff are horrid and make you feel so unwelcome. Dont think they even know what customer service is expecting elderly and disabled people to stand in a que for 15-20 minutes (because they are so incompetent they literally can’t make coffee and serve at high speed). They argue with customers. They have rats that iv seen numerous times running from the bushes in the back and has entered the shop and started eating the bread, iv seen the bread mouldy because no one has changed the day dot and it’s been sold. They are constantly short staffed. I stayed here for 5 weeks before I walked out half way through my shift because I couldn’t stand how they treat employees and customers AVOID
Pros
Cons
Long hours no staff
Don't apply for a job at Costa if you wish to have a social life. If you like to be spoken to like a normal human being and treated with respect and loyalty then really don't bother working at Costa.
Cons
I worked here for 6 months. As someone with Autistic Spectrum Disorder and learning difficulties, i will not reccomend this to anyone even people who are neurotypical. Daily unpaid overtime, and in exceptional circumstances you might 15 minuets added pay. Several times I had incidents that made me up to 2 hours late and was repeatedly chastised for asking for pay, incidents including, but not limited to:Faeces spread on bathroom walls,Continuously Overflowing toilets,Waiting after hours for late company deliveries.These unpaid overtime shifts regularly cut into my outside of work activities, such as making me late for my second job, evening classes outside workHours were also repeatedly reduced and cut without notice, and a few times on arrival at work. Flat refusal to have regular hours to accommodate for ASD and also to amend the timetable when given 2+ weeks notice.Going from Costa to the Uk Pandemic Lockdown was stress relief. I left 9+ months ago and have only just felt ready to reconnect enough to leave a review to warn others against it. I left just before the lockdown began but wanted rid of it so badly i didn't apply for furlough. The management felt like they had something to prove, and it has a definite pecking order. Upper management are a disassociated nightmare and are apparently omnipotent and infallible.I found the connecting with other staff no more difficult than i expected due to my ASD, and over time i gre to like alot of the people. They were kind and funny. A love of the people you work with can make a bad job bearable. I sometimes came - more...
Pros
Some Great people, but people are outside work too.
Cons
Regular unpaid overtime, irregular timetables (2nd job impossible), hours cut at short notice
I did two weeks of work experience there and the staff are helpful in teaching you everything you need to know. I picked up on how to use the till in about 2 days and soon I was making simple drinks. Most of the time they treated us with respect as if we were adults and it was overall a really fun job even though it was unpaid as the staff were all really friendly and funny. Although, sometimes it could be stressful and I often felt like I was getting in the way a bit seeing as I didn’t have as much experience as everyone else and it felt like they made us do all the jobs that they didn’t want to do like cleaning milk fridges (not for the faint hearted) and washing up.
Pros
Free food and drinks, really laid-back and fun staff
Cons
Tiring, stressful, questionable hygiene
It can be fast paced at busy times. Cleaning & hygiene become second nature, and so does coffee making, but as there are so many drinks, trying to know them all, will stress you more. Just stick to getting core drinks to brand standards,. You meet some amazing people, all nations, teamwork is vital. If you feel you lack social skills, this job will improve that as of customer interaction & teamwork... costa have always paid above minimum wage, and payed holidays. Hope this helps.
Since working for the company it has been nothing but a nightmare, from the start I’ve been worked to death and hardly had time to myself as the hours were unusual for a coffee store. The management were vile and didn’t care about the staff (except a few). The pay wasn’t worth all the hassle you got when you got vile customers which might I add was quiet often. I got many horrible messages and calls off managers to the point where i was made to feel terrible and even cry, for things that wasn’t even my fault or a reason to be nasty. Because of the COVID (the store didn’t take the staff into consideration either and made them all work, telling them to turn off the track and trace and not let them refuse service to customers without masks) The only benefits were the 50% discount when working and 25% and the occasional lovely regulars. Wouldn’t recommend to anyone, and if you do, make sure you always stand your ground don’t let management take advantage of you !!!
Pros
50% discount
Cons
Long hours, continuous work and unprofessional management
While the shop was a fantastic shop to work at. It was very poorly managed. Shifts were being cancelled constantly because of the company’s head office. Someone made an unprofessional comment on my abilities at the shop, which is why I walked away.
Pros
Free coffees
Cons
Unpredictable hours.
Never been made to feel so small in my life, management take advantage of their position and co workers who are friends with managers are bullies.
Pros
Nice drinks
Cons
So much pressure
Awsome place should never have jumped ship to a TA store great people and place soon up and coming shopping complex and station would be better if there was staff parking
Pros
Work family
Cons
Pay for parking or walk miles
I worked here for nearly 4 years and in that time I progressed from Barista to Assistant Manager. I did the AM role for over a year and in that time I didn’t get a pay rise or official position change, but was expected to carry out all roles of that position. Management are awful, have no appreciation for their staff and only give destructive feedback. Was expected to work most evenings and weekends, poor work-life balance. I feel that Costa is a good place to work as a student but as a full time career, AVOID!
Pros
Flexible working hours, discounts
Cons
Bad management, bad work-life balance, poor company culture l
If you want to feel easily replaceable, unappreciated, have panic attacks on daily basis and clean the toilets after strangers for the minimum wage, thank Costa is the place for you.
  1. Employee reviews