Costa Coffee

Costa Coffee Employee Reviews

Found 2,087 reviews matching the search
Got rid of assistant managers role and now pass responsibility of that onto the next role down the barista maestro where you are paid 50p more than baristas! But are doing the same work as the store manager ??
Pros
Free drinks on shift, flexible working hours
Cons
Understaffed, on your feet
Great help from the management to learn the new skills if you have any problems or forgotten how to do something the team will help you when very busy just keep calm and take deep breath’s as time goes on you will be shown all the skills
Pros
Staff lunch, take food home
Cons
Purfect to reserve costomer expenses, a little stres. Sometimes is slowly whit nice costomer, whit the colleges nice time. Welcoming the costomer, answering questions.
The teams you get to work in within Costa are truly what makes the jobs. I worked at multiple locations and every team understood how difficult a company they worked for but this is what unites everyone. Although this is great to have good team work... i really began to question the values and ethics of Costa if they relied on this tactic to operate their stores?There is constant stress with, in my case in a franchised store, absolutely no employee benefits apart from discounted drinks on your days off at other stores.
Pros
Great team, relatively flexible
Cons
shork breaks, bad management, stressful
I have worked for Costa coffee for 4 years and the company only care about money! They do not care about their staffs safety or mental well-being. Their employees are just numbers on a piece of paper to them, they do not value their staff at all! The management is also very unprofessional. The people I worked with are the only reason I stayed as long as I did. If it wasn’t for them I would have left a LONG time ago!
Pros
Amazing co-workers
Cons
Unfair pay, no bank holidays except xmas day, selfish and money driven management, unprofessionalism in management
Even though I enjoyed working there the majority of the time, however occasionally I felt belittled by other staff members hand when I was leaving I was lied to about the reasoning for not being kept on at costa, they’re like a family but a family they don’t want to include others. This made it difficult to be able to concentrate on my work as I didn’t want to be there.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
Felt uncomfortable and like an outcast
I work in a suburban branch - nice customers, including regulars and a good team.It can be very busy and hard hard work to keep up with a constant queue.You need to be organised, cheerful and reliable and be able to work well in a team.
Pros
Decent rate of pay, good package, Coca Cola ownership therefore stable
Cons
Can be unsociable hours, can be relentless
Costa is a very fast paced environment if you work in a Drive thru. Concession stores are a little less stressful. They are a good company to work for and look after their staff.
Pros
50% off all food and free drinks on shift
Cons
Late hours early mornings long shifts
If you want a company to make you feel like you are just a pawn in their massive game of chess go ahead just a warning they dont pay you correctly and tell you it your fault
Cons
Long hours, management that don't listen or care, team members that are selfish, unrealistic targets during a pandemic
I worked there when I was 16, was paid over the minimum wage. Fast pace environment. Found the tills difficult and staff often got snappy and sarcastic especially if you didn’t have no previous experience. I worked 4 hours on a Saturday so they seem pretty flexible with hours and days however the reason why I left was because when I went out the back to do pot wash the manager was bad mouthing me thinking I was someone else. You need to be very enthusiastic and bubbly to work there. Hard work trying to make sure you’re on tills, cleaning down tables, pot wash and making sure fridges and produces were topped up.
Pros
Free drinks, wages, hours
Cons
Bad management, rude staff, no training
Be prepared for fast paced, hard work, with little to no training. The culture and the people you work with will be why you stay but the job itself is why most people leave. Customers for the most part are absolutely lovely but 1 in 10 (increased in covid times) will leave you wanting to cry. Thick skin required. Only a few stores will be a different experience but are few and far between. If you go into management you will be required to work far above and beyond for little to no thanks or sleep. The upper management will try their hardest to keep you motivated but corporate are always penny pinching so are limited in helping. Be prepared to come home smelling of milk regardless of whether you were on the coffee machine or not. On the up side, free coffee on the job which will be required.
Pros
Free coffee, Good people, Good rate of pay
Cons
Extremely long hours, expected shift cover, no work life balance, corporate decisions
Constantly understaffed with area managers putting unfair pressure on store managers. Pay was unfair and I was payed incorrectly for months until I noticed and then managed to claim what I was due. This happened to a large number of employees. Forced to upsell plastic bottles of water by having them next to the till which is extremely unethical in terms of environmental responsibility.
Pros
Training and some progression opportunities
Cons
Treatment of staff
Avoid at all costs, perfect for weekend students, even then don't expect much. Expect to be treated poorly.They'll overwork you, expect you to know everything, the training is pointless and the "incentives" don't exist.
Pros
Kept me busy
Cons
Everything to be honest.
On-site managers and team members were great, but as is the case with most coffee shop chains, higher up managers have no idea what they are doing. They treat new staff like dirt, dont know how the place is even run, couldnt make a coffee if their lives depended on it.And work a three day week in their nice offices. (especially clements, ground, costa, starbucks, nero etc.) We are the ones who get taken advantage of, who get up at 6 in the morning, who have to stress throughout the day with customers and food and coffee and cleaning, smelling of sweat and food and coffee when we get home at 6pm, but we get paid pennies while the higher management drive around in their fancy cars? Not an environment that I am going to be associated with again, no thank you.I loved my team at the actual sites, but if higher managers actually got off their bums and did something for once maybe they would deserve the unbelievable amount of wages they get. Shame on you.
Pros
On site team
Cons
Above
It depends on your store and the area you’re located, but Costa is a very busy place. You may be lucky and have team members that are quick, can multi-task and do their job well. But you may have others that get stressed easily, are slow and don’t do their job as well. Depending on which team members you have, you can either have a good/easy experience at Costa, or a hard/not very joyful one. From my experience, you tend to get stuck on one station during busy periods i.e., you could spend hours on the coffee machine or till alone - not fun as your eyes go funny and you ache as well as get frustrated. It’s best to switch every so often but you’ll need to voice this. Pay is okay - it’s above minimum wage, that is if you do your barista / maestro training. Work / home life balance isn’t the greatest as you need to be fully flexible. You don’t have set days off a week, they vary and so you won’t have a routine which could exhaust you. The only benefits I would say are the free drinks (mostly hot - depending on your manager you may or not be allowed cold drinks), the tips (that is if they get shared out, depending on who is looking after them, they might share them out after a year or something, I got my tips a year and a half later) and 50% off food during working hours, even better if the food is 50% off already (due to going out of date or store promotion) as you get 50% off on top of that. You’ll spend a lot of your time on your feet, I suffer from bad achy legs - not the one and you’ll be doing a lot of cleaning - cleaning the floor, coffee machine, putting everything through - more...
Pros
50% off food - when working and may get tips
Cons
Standing on your feet all day and dealing with rude customers
I enjoyed working for Costa for many years on and off. The teams where I was based were lovely. When Coca Cola bought the company from whitbread it started to go downhill. Less hours available ment over working their staff and doing sometimes 3 peoples work load.
Cons
Not many hours available for colleagues, overstretched.
I loved my job at costa.. They become more like your family from the start. I would recommend working there too anyone, any age. I had some amazing times and enjoyed the job very much.
Pros
The people and customers become your best friends
Cons
Working for Costa was a good opportunity to learn new skills I.e. coffee making skills, using if different drink making tech. The staff were friendly once you get to know them. The customers are great and most definitely keep you on your toes. If you’re looking for a place of work that will accommodate student life I would recommend them. I had Uni 3 days a week and could not work on Saturdays because of religious reasons but they supported me and gave me enough hours to still support me financially too.
Pros
Coffee tasting lol
Cons
Clashes with management at times
I’ve worked at Costa for 4 weeks now and I am in love with the job. Best company I’ve ever worked for and I’ve worked for various fast food chains and all areas of the hospitality industry.
Pros
Free drinks on shift!
Cons
Customers can sometimes be quite rude
Vile place to work all the staff are horrid and make you feel so unwelcome. Dont think they even know what customer service is expecting elderly and disabled people to stand in a que for 15-20 minutes (because they are so incompetent they literally can’t make coffee and serve at high speed). They argue with customers. They have rats that iv seen numerous times running from the bushes in the back and has entered the shop and started eating the bread, iv seen the bread mouldy because no one has changed the day dot and it’s been sold. They are constantly short staffed. I stayed here for 5 weeks before I walked out half way through my shift because I couldn’t stand how they treat employees and customers AVOID
Pros
Cons
Long hours no staff
Don't apply for a job at Costa if you wish to have a social life. If you like to be spoken to like a normal human being and treated with respect and loyalty then really don't bother working at Costa.
  1. Employee reviews