Costa Coffee

Costa Coffee Pay & benefits reviews

The teams you get to work in within Costa are truly what makes the jobs. I worked at multiple locations and every team understood how difficult a company they worked for but this is what unites everyone. Although this is great to have good team work... i really began to question the values and ethics of Costa if they relied on this tactic to operate their stores?There is constant stress with, in my case in a franchised store, absolutely no employee benefits apart from discounted drinks on your days off at other stores.
Pros
Great team, relatively flexible
Cons
shork breaks, bad management, stressful
I work in a suburban branch - nice customers, including regulars and a good team.It can be very busy and hard hard work to keep up with a constant queue.You need to be organised, cheerful and reliable and be able to work well in a team.
Pros
Decent rate of pay, good package, Coca Cola ownership therefore stable
Cons
Can be unsociable hours, can be relentless
It depends on your store and the area you’re located, but Costa is a very busy place. You may be lucky and have team members that are quick, can multi-task and do their job well. But you may have others that get stressed easily, are slow and don’t do their job as well. Depending on which team members you have, you can either have a good/easy experience at Costa, or a hard/not very joyful one. From my experience, you tend to get stuck on one station during busy periods i.e., you could spend hours on the coffee machine or till alone - not fun as your eyes go funny and you ache as well as get frustrated. It’s best to switch every so often but you’ll need to voice this. Pay is okay - it’s above minimum wage, that is if you do your barista / maestro training. Work / home life balance isn’t the greatest as you need to be fully flexible. You don’t have set days off a week, they vary and so you won’t have a routine which could exhaust you. The only benefits I would say are the free drinks (mostly hot - depending on your manager you may or not be allowed cold drinks), the tips (that is if they get shared out, depending on who is looking after them, they might share them out after a year or something, I got my tips a year and a half later) and 50% off food during working hours, even better if the food is 50% off already (due to going out of date or store promotion) as you get 50% off on top of that. You’ll spend a lot of your time on your feet, I suffer from bad achy legs - not the one and you’ll be doing a lot of cleaning - cleaning the floor, coffee machine, putting everything through - more...
Pros
50% off food - when working and may get tips
Cons
Standing on your feet all day and dealing with rude customers
Since working for the company it has been nothing but a nightmare, from the start I’ve been worked to death and hardly had time to myself as the hours were unusual for a coffee store. The management were vile and didn’t care about the staff (except a few). The pay wasn’t worth all the hassle you got when you got vile customers which might I add was quiet often. I got many horrible messages and calls off managers to the point where i was made to feel terrible and even cry, for things that wasn’t even my fault or a reason to be nasty. Because of the COVID (the store didn’t take the staff into consideration either and made them all work, telling them to turn off the track and trace and not let them refuse service to customers without masks) The only benefits were the 50% discount when working and 25% and the occasional lovely regulars. Wouldn’t recommend to anyone, and if you do, make sure you always stand your ground don’t let management take advantage of you !!!
Pros
50% discount
Cons
Long hours, continuous work and unprofessional management
Decent job, pay is tidy too. Management could be a little better but not terrible. Worst part are the customers. Beyond entitled and have the worst attitude. Make the job a nightmare.
Pros
Great team, good pay.
Cons
Customers.
Good place to work, especially for a part timer. I started during university and the hours are flexible. The pay is a lot better than average coffee shops, but there isn’t a lot of opportunity to progress. It’s more fo a ‘if someone leaves then go for it’, kind of situation... I haven’t heard of a store with bad staff, and never had any particularly nasty customers. It’s an overall nice place to work
Pros
Good pay, friendly staff, friendly customers, nice environment
Cons
Long hours, working during sociable hours, not much opportunity to progress
Depending on your store and its location your day can be varied. My current store is very understaffed and I often work more than my contracted 16 hours per week, I also get called on my days off to cover other stores in the area. Training is poor, and you are expected to learn as you go - its a stressful but fun atmosphere to work in and you learn very quickly what is expected of you. Pay is good and bonuses are given through the company's points system. Free drinks and discounted food on shift.
Pros
Free drinks, fun atmosphere
Cons
Early starts, long hours, stressful
The company does not provide you with hands on training. There is an online training that you complete in your free - time (you do not get payed for this) and takes approximately two full days to complete. Managers are usually extremely stressed out and they frequently take it out on staff. If you leave the company earlier that 3 months, the price of the training (that you have done online in your free time) will be deducted from your last salary(£130). If you open the coffee a few mins late a sum of £50 gets deducted from your salary. Often you do not get to take any break during your shift. Often you are expected to work for two. Zero respect from management. I have not met a single person who was happy to work there. The workflow in the coffee is generally very fast paced and we were always short on staff due to management cutting our working hours.
Pros
You are allowed to have a coffee on your break (if you get to have a break) for free.
Cons
very low pay, horrible working conditions, ridiculous management
Requires no prior work experience in the field, and in all fairness, as a first job, it is pretty decent as it doesn't require vast amounts of time and effort.
Pros
Good discount, free drinks on shift
Cons
Condescending management staff
I really enjoyed my time in store, with a good team.The issue I had were around the 48 hour minimum working week along with hour cuts even if performing.Overall, made to feel like a cog, not a manager
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
48 hours a week minimum
I loved working here but the above Mamagement was awful. Rude and treated you like dirt.Whitbread owns this company aswell as Premier Inns and as much as I loved this business and made money for them, they are always on your case for the most stupid things and they are racist towards certain personnel passing them over for promotion.Never work for them again rather be on benefits. Company are dreadful
Pros
Lovely people
Cons
BDM autocratic to much red tape
Working at Costa its all about speed. You will be expected to work 6/7 days and over 60 hours. They expect miracle but no support. Area managers are absolutely useless and never there where you need them. You will be loaded with their jobs on the top of that. No Christmas off and forget about work/life balance. Good pay but not equal for workload and hours you actually you will be requested to do.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
No bonuses - you will be told about amazing bonus scheme but no way to achieve with company targets
Very fast paced job Have to work like robots Cant have no fun unless its outside work.....It's good if you can work as a team as everyone generally gets on well together as you work so close together
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Shortbreaks
Managers are rude and unsupportive; make you feel inferior to them. Staff are cliquey and snakey. Get rude customers and all in all get treated poorly by everyone around and your business is spread throughout the store. Lack of hours after Christmas. Favouritism from managers to give opportunities and hours to their friends. All very unprofessional and exhausting work. You get paid for what you do really, it is tiring and non stop. Hardly get my breaks and when you do you have to pay for food However, pay is good. And all ages 16+ get paid the same unless they are trained more. They work is fun to some extent.
Pros
Half price food. 25% off when you’re not working and fair pay
Cons
Long hours, drop in labour, poor management
This job is only good for students that’s after a few quid a month in their pocket. Costa needs to look after their staff a little better. For example a lot of am’s jobs have been made redundant due to COVID 19 and then Costa employees just baristas to save money.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Little hours, low rate pay
It's good, it can be long and some customers can be difficult but the team is always there to support you. The food is great and the drinks are great too.
Pros
Good team, fast passed, good management and communication
Cons
Sometimes hard coping with some customers
Working at the Costa as my first job was a good experience how to serve and how to deal with the costumers. I always tried to get the best out of myself.
Pros
Free lunches
Higher management talk and treat staff very poorly they never take serious complaints against other staff members seriously, they don’t show any compassion to your personal problems or mental health.
Pros
Free coffee in shift
Cons
Low pay and not many hours
I worked for costa for coming up 10 years. You can work quickly up the ladder and get to be a store manager extremely quickly but then after that unfortunately there is just no where to go. At times is very stressful with lots of tasks and numbers that need to be met With the right team all of the stress and implants make it work while
Pros
Team, pay rate, good company
Cons
Hours, stress, no more progression after store manager
I loved costa coffee, the staff was lovely, friendly and helpful. The management was very good and helpful,. I have muv from that area for this i liv the job at Costa coffee
Pros
Grow up salary
Cons
I’ve been working here since I was 16 on and off, I have partially enjoyed my time here but depending on which store you work at, can vary how well you get treat.
Pros
50% off lunch
Cons
Long hours (no time for yourself)